Author Topic: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "Here at the End of All Things"  (Read 46868 times)

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
Re: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "I Feel The Way You Were"
« Reply #105 on: May 22, 2014, 12:48:34 PM »

15. Rush - Grace Under Pressure (1984)

This is where it's at. This is Rush's creative masterpiece. While I absolutely adore their work through out the Seventies, as well as most of their other albums from the Eighties, Rush has never put out a better album than Grace Under Pressure. The band manages to seamlessly blend together Alex's lush guitarwork with Geddy's textured and haunting keyboards to create a collection of sounds that is both beautiful and eerie. I get chills listening to this album. Unsurprisingly, some of Neil's best lyrics are on this album too.

While we all love to give Hugh Syme a lot of flack for how lazy and uninspired his album covers generally are these days, it's nice to go back sometimes and see covers where he did put in a lot of work. This is probably my favorite of his covers. It's so bright and colorful, but you can still sense that foreboding quality lurking within the music.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "I Feel The Way You Were
« Reply #106 on: May 22, 2014, 12:55:12 PM »
Not among my absolute favorite Rush albums, but probably my favorite synth era release - I like the dark vibe of the songs and the balance between guitars and keyboards is perfect.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #107 on: May 22, 2014, 01:51:24 PM »
this definitely has some of Alex's greatest solos.  Afterimage and Between the Wheels come to mind immediately.  I'm surprised since I can't remember anyone else listing this as their favorite Rush album.  But there's nothing wrong with that!  I also agree that the lyrics are often great.  I think it was a step up from Signals in music and lyrics for sure.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: May 22, 2014, 02:04:23 PM »
fantastic Rush album!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #109 on: May 22, 2014, 02:52:20 PM »
this definitely has some of Alex's greatest solos.  Afterimage and Between the Wheels come to mind immediately.  I'm surprised since I can't remember anyone else listing this as their favorite Rush album.  But there's nothing wrong with that!  I also agree that the lyrics are often great.  I think it was a step up from Signals in music and lyrics for sure.

Agreed. The whole package was great - one of my favourite album covers too. I was close to including this or Power Windows in my top 50 but I had a 2 album per band limit and 2112 and AFTK exist. I wore the vinyl out in the 80s though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: May 22, 2014, 05:07:57 PM »
Probably my favourite Rush album, amazing.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #111 on: May 22, 2014, 06:50:45 PM »
Probably my favourite Rush album, amazing.

Nice pick, then! :metal :tup :hefdaddy

Between the Wheels is sooo good. :biggrin: I love that song to death!
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #112 on: May 22, 2014, 08:25:38 PM »

Between the Wheels is sooo good. :biggrin: I love that song to death!

agreed.  probably my fave, I look forward to it at the end of the album.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Re: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "Your Private Lucifer"
« Reply #113 on: May 23, 2014, 07:12:08 PM »

14. Conception - Flow (1997)

I mentioned earlier that both Tommy Karevik and Roy Khan have made better albums outside of their work in Kamelot. I made the mistake of forgetting to include Seventh Wonder's exquisite concept album, Mercy Falls, on this list, but I thankfully didn't make that mistake with Flow. This isn't Roy's masterpiece, in my opinion, but it's not far behind that album.

Conception's previous albums were all more musically complex and closer to the typical vision of what progressive metal is. Furthermore, Roy previously utilized a lot more of his upper vocal range on the previous albums and would even utilize it some more on his first two albums with Kamelot. Here he sounds eerily similar to how he sounded on The Black Halo. Flow is a smoother album and one of its strongest suits is how well it... err... flows. The songs are a little shorter than normal and more simplistic, but I wouldn't call this album a sell-out.

Why?

This album is incredibly atmospheric. In a way, this album is Conception's Rage for Order. It sounds and feels like an album that was way ahead of its time. In fact, I almost feel like modern music is just now starting to catch up with Flow.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Re: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "Good Mourning"
« Reply #114 on: May 24, 2014, 05:50:45 PM »
Looks like no one has any comments on this most recent update, so I'll just move along then. :yarr

13. Megadeth – Peace Sells… But Who’s Buying? (1986)

Forget about Rust in Peace, this is Megadeth’s best album. While the former lineup might have been a more technically proficient unit, the original Megadeth lineup had something special. They had that illustrious “feeling” that people talk about all the time. They could play their asses off, but there was also an emotive quality to their music. My guess is that probably stems from the presence of Gar Samuelson and Chris Poland.

Speaking of Mr. Poland, he is my personal favorite of any guitarist to ever play in Megadeth. His work on the first two albums was terrific and it was hardly surprising that Dave Mustaine tried to coax him to rejoin the band twice (once while making Rust in Peace and then again with The System Has Failed Us). While Poland hasn't had a very successful career post-Deth, he has put out some quality instrumental work.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #115 on: May 24, 2014, 07:19:42 PM »
Yes yes yes yes yes! It's not my favourite Deth album, but it's up there. Poland is an incredible guitarist - Good Mourning/Black Friday would like to have word with anyone who disagrees. I do find the title track ever so slightly overrated - it's good, sure, but half the album is better, and it seems it's the only song that anyone ever talks about on this album. My favourites would be GM/BF, Devil's Island, Wake Up Dead and My Last Words. The cover is pretty bad, but the rest is amazing.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #116 on: May 24, 2014, 08:46:45 PM »
Yes yes yes yes yes! It's not my favourite Deth album, but it's up there. Poland is an incredible guitarist - Good Mourning/Black Friday would like to have word with anyone who disagrees. I do find the title track ever so slightly overrated - it's good, sure, but half the album is better, and it seems it's the only song that anyone ever talks about on this album. My favourites would be GM/BF, Devil's Island, Wake Up Dead and My Last Words. The cover is pretty bad, but the rest is amazing.

YES. I absolutely love GM/BF! :metal :hefdaddy It seems we have similar opinions on the album, aside from rankings in the Deth albums and the cover. :tup

Have you ever listened to Conception? Great band! :tup
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #117 on: May 24, 2014, 09:10:04 PM »
Nope! I love Roy Khan's voice though, and the fact that you place it higher than The Black Halo is intriguing. Put it down on mah "list of stuff to check out".
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #118 on: May 24, 2014, 10:50:34 PM »
Nope! I love Roy Khan's voice though, and the fact that you place it higher than The Black Halo is intriguing. Put it down on mah "list of stuff to check out".

As I mentioned, there's another album yet that I think is Roy Khan's masterpiece. Flow is definitely worth checking out though! :tup
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #119 on: May 25, 2014, 12:41:16 AM »
Forget about Rust in Peace, this is Megadeth’s best album.

Nooooo way. Peace Sells is amazing but RIP is Megadeth at their absolute peak. Still, not gonna complain too much about it being here--not a bad song on it.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: May 25, 2014, 01:43:48 AM »
you know I love Conception man..............just haven't been about.

I love about half of Flow but prefer the previous album.
Megadeth........like that too but much prefer RIP too.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: May 25, 2014, 03:41:19 AM »
Top 3 Deth album.

Man, I gotta check Conception.  A lot of you guys have bugged me time and time again to check them, but man, I gotta do it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #122 on: May 25, 2014, 06:10:41 AM »
you know I love Conception man..............just haven't been about.

I love about half of Flow but prefer the previous album.
Megadeth........like that too but much prefer RIP too.

Shh... don't ruin the surprise! :tup That being said, I love the whole album of Flow. But that's just me, I guess!

Top 3 Deth album.

Man, I gotta check Conception.  A lot of you guys have bugged me time and time again to check them, but man, I gotta do it.

Dude, definitely check 'em out. :biggrin:
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: May 25, 2014, 07:21:19 AM »
I'm going to have to check Flow out.  I recently just discovered Kamelot, and Kahn.  He has an incredible voice.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #124 on: May 25, 2014, 07:24:43 AM »
I'm going to have to check Flow out.  I recently just discovered Kamelot, and Kahn.  He has an incredible voice.

Also check out Parallel Minds and In Your Multitude. :tup :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: May 25, 2014, 08:42:02 AM »

Will do!  Thanks man!  It's funny, my wife put's up with most of my music.  But she genuinly loves Kahn's voice on Black Halo. So hopefully your recommendations will give us some more common music.  :tup

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #126 on: May 25, 2014, 09:09:31 AM »

Will do!  Thanks man!  It's funny, my wife put's up with most of my music.  But she genuinly loves Kahn's voice on Black Halo. So hopefully your recommendations will give us some more common music.  :tup

Hopefully! But I should warn you that Conception is a bit different from Kamelot musically (they're like a heavier, proggier Queensryche) and Khan sings a little differently on most of their albums than how he usually did with Kamelot, as he uses more of his higher vocal register. If you want to get your wife into them, I'd probably start her off with Flow, as that's the album where he sounds closest to how he did on Black Halo.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #127 on: May 25, 2014, 09:22:29 AM »
I definitely agree that Peace Sells... is the best 'Deth album. RiP may be the flashier, more famous album, but there is something very timeless about Peace Sells... If it wasn't for the presence of "I Ain't Superstitious," (which sucks something fierce) Peace Sells... would be the perfect thrash album.

Edit: Also props for having the best of Rush's 80's output on the list too. :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #128 on: May 25, 2014, 12:38:58 PM »
I saw Megadeth on the Peace Sells tour. Was awesome to see Gar live! :metal

A great album, for sure!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #129 on: May 25, 2014, 12:41:53 PM »
I saw Megadeth on the Peace Sells tour. Was awesome to see Gar live! :metal

A great album, for sure!!

All of my envy and respect, TAC! :censored :millahhhh :hefdaddy
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Re: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "Incense and Myrrh"
« Reply #130 on: May 26, 2014, 04:09:27 PM »

12. Arch/Matheos – Sympathetic Resonance (2011)

This album was the other blind purchase I made in Pensacola and it was the album that led to my discovery of Fates Warning. While John Arch’s voice certainly takes some getting used to, I consider him to be one of the greatest vocalists in metal history. Yes, his tone is incredibly nasally and bizarre, he makes up for it with his positively brilliant vocal melodies. Arch’s voice slithers and coils around the music, accenting it perfectly. It’s like listening to Bruce Dickinson with a cold while he's trying to charm a cobra with only his voice.

The music itself is superb. It's like a modern day Rust in Peace, only more proggy.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: May 26, 2014, 05:29:42 PM »
I have this (based on some very positive reviews at the time) but never got around to giving it a listen  ::)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #132 on: May 26, 2014, 08:19:47 PM »
I have this (based on some very positive reviews at the time) but never got around to giving it a listen  ::)

LISTEN TO THIS ALBUM! ASAP. :lol :justjen :tup

It's absolutely glorious. :hefdaddy
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #133 on: May 26, 2014, 09:12:01 PM »
a little late, but thanks for putting Conception:Flow on your list, I hadn't heard of that. listening on youtube and it sounds great.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #134 on: May 27, 2014, 03:45:42 AM »
The vocals kill Arch/Mattheos for me. And it felt one dimensional. Just  didn't do it for me.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: May 27, 2014, 07:58:30 AM »
Incense and Myrrh is absolutely my favorite track on the album too! Such a good disc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #136 on: May 27, 2014, 09:33:09 AM »
A/M is an incredible album. One of the best albums released in the last 5-10 years IMO.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #137 on: May 27, 2014, 10:06:01 AM »
I definitely see some parallels between Ride The Lightning-Master of Puppets and Peace Sells-Rust in Peace.  In both cases, I like the earlier one a lot, but I like the later one more.  I just feel like it's a little more polished and the songwriting is better.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Re: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "What Should We Do Today?"
« Reply #138 on: May 27, 2014, 06:57:19 PM »

11. Fates Warning – A Pleasant Shade of Gray (1997)

I love Fates Warning. They’re one of the greatest progressive metal bands ever. As far as the classic bands go (i.e. Queensryche, Dream Theater, Crimson Glory), these guys are my favorite. They have never really put out a bad album in their whole career. As far as the Ray Alder era goes, this is their masterpiece. Ray gives an incredible performance while at the absolute height of his vocal capabilities, Jim Matheos’ playing makes up for the lack of Frank Aresti and Kevin Moore’s contributions set up a special atmosphere. A special sentence is reserved for drum extraordinaire, Mark Zonder, who is one of my absolute favorite drummers ever. The man is wildly creative with his drumwork, especially with his appearances on his FW albums.

The idea of an album that is one massive song is not a new one. Nor is the idea of a song split up into multiple different pieces. But I don't really know if I can think of any other album where both ideas were implemented together as one; a whole album-sized song that is split up into a bunch of different parts. In more ways than one, this entire album is Jim Matheos' creative masterwork.

But the title of my favorite Fates Warning album belongs to another album...

Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "What Should We Do Today?"
« Reply #139 on: May 27, 2014, 07:12:50 PM »
I agree with what you say, but to me, I feel APSOG is a bit overblown. That recurring theme drives me insane. And Jim Matheos has to be the most depressing guy on earth.

I will say that three songs on this are among my FW Top 10.
Part 6 We're Not Children Anymore
Part 9 Where You Are (I Am)
Part 11 Do You Think That I

Those are the titles I gave them on my iPod. ;D