Author Topic: GearGods Video - Review of JP's Guitar Rig  (Read 744 times)

Offline RaiseTheKnife

GearGods Video - Review of JP's Guitar Rig
« on: May 01, 2014, 02:02:48 AM »
Nice video from GearGods (more like BEAR GODS - Rooooaarr!!!):

https://geargods.net/video/john-petruccis-new-rig-is-actually-pretty-simple-for-petrucci-anyway/

Very insightful look at JP's rig used for the Along For the Ride Tour.   Lotta valuable nuggets for those that love gear talk!

(apologies if this link has been posted before)

Offline mikeyd23

Re: GearGods Video - Review of JP's Guitar Rig
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 08:58:28 AM »
Thanks for the link! I've been waiting for a gear tour of JP's rig for this new tour! It would be nice to see the pedalboard and guitars in this video, but it was still a good look at his rack.

I'm very surprised to see JP not using the Mark V or any other Mark series Boogie amp.  I didn't know he was going the Triaxis into power amp direction lately.... It makes for a really compact and lightweight setup from the looks of it.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 04:33:43 AM »
It appears that the ole Dimension C pedal provided the "chocolate frosting" to JP's live sound.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 03:56:59 AM »
I was somewhat surprised to see he went back to the TriAxis and the 2:90.

Then again it's much easier to store presets in one small box and trigger them via MIDI than bringing three big heavy ass Mark V heads with a much smaller number of predialed settings and the need for more elaborate switching. Also the TriAxis is covering a similar preamp range (cleans, Mark I, Mark IIC+, Mark IV, ...) and I would guess the Mark V and TriAxis power amps aren't too different as well, with the advantage of the 2:90 being in stereo which suits his effects setup.

So after thinking about it I'm not surprised anymore as it makes perfect sense. Just as it makes perfect sense to migrate to the great tools from very much alive RJM Music with Axess Electronics gone.

I think it's a very sensible no bullshit approach of getting the most out of a very versatile collection of gear and condensing it to a reasonably simple and still highly reliable and managable package. I would expect this setup to make Maddi's job a little easier and more relaxed too.

Definitely a very nice setup!

Greetings...
Nef