Author Topic: Have you ever cried due to a DT song? Wich song was that? And why?  (Read 20130 times)

Offline GPedrosa

I saw some people talking about tears in the topic about Illumination Theory strings session, so I decided do make this one. The DT song that almost makes me cry is The Best of Times ("almost", 'cause I aways have to hold back in front of people). That's because I never lived together with my father and the last time I've seen him was 9 years ago. This song makes me think of the moments I never had.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Have you ever cried due to a DT song? Wich song was that? And why?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 11:42:29 PM »
Beneath the Surface (both the studio and LALP versions) has made me cry a couple of times, because the week ADTOE came out was an emotionally rough time for me and the song reminds me of those days.

Offline GPedrosa

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 11:47:47 PM »
Space-Dye Vest is very special to me too.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 11:50:02 PM »
Another crybaby for Beneath the Surface. It was in my early sobriety when the album came out, and to say I was raw emotionally would be a grave understatement. When it got to the last chorus, I lost it, big time, in a coffee shop. Never been there again. :lol

Offline GPedrosa

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 11:53:10 PM »
Another crybaby for Beneath the Surface. It was in my early sobriety when the album came out, and to say I was raw emotionally would be a grave understatement. When it got to the last chorus, I lost it, big time, in a coffee shop. Never been there again. :lol
I'd never get out of my house again.  :laugh:

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 11:56:10 PM »
Funnily enough, that's my favorite DT song and one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard, but it has never actually made me cry. Seeing it live was a really emotional experience, though.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 11:58:44 PM »
BTS might have just about brought a tear to my eye during Live at Luna Park :'(, and the ending of a Metropolis performance, it was when I hadn't heard the song much then and it was some obscure bootleg version and it was the first time I understood the lyrics or something and it was an epic performance where JLB just aced the ending.  :D

Illumination theory can get me during The Embracing Circle and also Surrender, Trust & Passion sections.

Honourable mentions to nearly turning me into a pansy could be Beautiful Agony section of ANTR, Acoustic section of TCOT and Parts of TBOT. And probably somewhere in Surrounded once. LITS guitar solo? Yeah it's that good. There might have been others but I forget..  :lol

Offline GPedrosa

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 12:08:05 AM »
Funnily enough, that's my favorite DT song and one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard, but it has never actually made me cry. Seeing it live was a really emotional experience, though.
If I ever won the lottery, I'd give Kevin 1 million dollars as a "thank you" for Space-Dye Vest. Its my favorite song too. Maybe my favorite song ever.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 02:23:04 AM »
Oh, I've cried to many songs! Actually, that is only true if shedding a few tears from the right eye without changing the facial expression counts as crying.

It happened with TSCO, the last verse of the live SDV (the power), LTL, probably BTS and again the last verse of Finally Free as performed in Boston 2014.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 05:11:44 AM »

This, except it's "only" #5 for me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 05:14:32 AM »
I don't think I've ever cried to any song, ever.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 06:22:24 AM »
Yes. TBOT and Disappear have made me do that before. Never SDV or BTS, but I get feeling they will eventually.

Why? Because of all the raw emotion in the lyrics of TBOT, and because Disappear is just a beautiful song. I don't like the idea that soon I may relate personally with Disappear.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 07:20:02 AM by Sir Walrus Cauliflower »
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 07:37:33 AM »
I was on a 12 hour train ride, going back home after a long time away. The weather was moody and I was all alone with the notebook on my lap. I popped in the Live Scenes DVD and the equation of the atmosphere, my state of mind, the video footage and -most of all- the music made me just lose it and flat-out start crying at the "One last time" section of Finally Free. A few days after that, I found a pic on Meme Theater, which went like this: "Admit it, proggers, the "One last time" section of Finally Free made you cry." It felt really good that apparently it's a widespread phenomenon.  :)

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 11:03:18 AM »
I don't think I've ever cried to any song, ever.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 12:37:24 PM »
When I had to put my 14 year old dog Drake to sleep last summer, as we sat under a tall Oak tree gazing out at a really pretty field......the breeze was blowing just right.....his head was laying in my lap and I was just petting him gently..........we were sharing our last moments together before the vet arrived to 'help' him on his way.......and while I looked at him, through my tear soaked eyes out of nowhere I began to "sing" the lines

"All your eyes have ever seen, all you've ever heard
Is etched upon my memory, is spoken through my words
All that I take with me is all you've left behind
We're sharing one eternity, living in two minds
Linked by an endless thread impossible to break"

From Through my Words. It was spontaneous....I didn't plan to do so and don't even know why I did. I get teary eyed anytime I hear that portion of the song because of what it means to me now.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2014, 12:40:47 PM »
I was going to respond with no... but now that I read Gary's post I'm a little weepy because of a DT song.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2014, 12:47:37 PM »
I was going to respond with no... but now that I read Gary's post I'm a little weepy because of a DT song.

Sorry about that Gregg.....I know you're a dog lover, kind of thought that might 'get' to a couple of you guys out there. It was a neat moment because of it being spontaneous. I didn't realize how it'd affect me until I hear that song after that had happened.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2014, 12:52:06 PM »
Hey, no worries. We all lived it a little with you and it's probably good for me to 'squirt some' once in awhile.  :)

Drake is missed more than you know!
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 12:58:34 PM »
Despite being emotionally riveted by many songs, DT songs included, I'm very stingy with my tears. Very few songs have actually made me cry, and among DT's work, those would have to be Metropolis Pt. 1 and The Count of Tuscany.

I couldn't explain to you why it happened with the first. The end of the instrumental section and the segue back into the last couple of verses always gets me since it's probably among the most beautiful of moments in music history ever composed.

The same applies to TCOT where the ending was so grand and emotionally tugging at me. I also remember going through some trying times right around when I first started listening to it, so that entire last couple of minutes was just the icing on the tear-jerking cake.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2014, 01:04:08 PM »
I have cried with The Best of times, I know many people dislike the lyrics, but I can only listen to the song every now and then because it always makes me cry. It make me think of the moment when I will lose my father and it's really sad. Very powerful lyrics for me.

Another one is dissapear and finally free (the part that goes "... we'll meet again my friend, sometime soon.").

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2014, 01:09:49 PM »
finally free (the part that goes "... we'll meet again my friend, sometime soon.").

Ohhh that one. Almost gets me most of the time.

And since I forgot to mention it and since I don't think anybody has mentioned it yet, an honorable mention goes to that part in About to Crash (Reprise), from about 2:23 to 3:00. I don't think I've cried to it, but was always pretty close to it.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2014, 01:12:22 PM »
When listening to the Worcester bootleg (yes I'm talking about this again) I got a little teary during Petrucci's extended solo in The Count of Tuscany, which was melodically beautiful, nostalgic, and made me sad to realize how pathetic my memory is.

When I first heard The Embracing Circle I was a bit tired/stressed and was a bit watery as well.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2014, 01:18:51 PM »
Beneath the Surface. Literally every damn time I listen to it.

I can't particularly explain why. Something about the lyrics just strike me as being intensely raw and emotional.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2014, 01:32:36 PM »
Raw Dog made me cry.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2014, 01:39:47 PM »
The Best of Times made me shed a tear when I first listened to it too, the second "verse/chorus" part of the song mostly. Those damn lyrics man. I don't care what people say, I thought they were really good at illustrating the point the song makes. Depressing yet hopeful.

The only other song I can think of that ever made me cry was The Raven That Refused To Sing + the music video. 
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2014, 02:41:35 PM »
SS
LFAGA
TOWHTSTS (Intro)
IAW
6:00
Ero
Voices
Lie
LSOAD
SDV
PS
HK
LITS
TAMP
TOT
THE
TSCO
FF
Misunderstood
ATC
GK
SS
LT/GF
ITNOG-Outro
TW
SS
8V
Repentance-Solo(sometimes)
ANTR-Slow part
W
TBOT-Outro solo
TCOT
LNF
TITL
BAI
BTS-Sometimes
TLG
TBP-Outro parts,sometimes
BTV-Solo
STR
IT

Others:
ACOS
Eve
DLPM
STM-Sometimes
TLF-Sometimes

Many live versions,lika HY or AH/KH,etc.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2014, 03:05:47 PM »
I rarely cry due to music alone, but yes, like I mentioned in the thread OP mentioned, seeing DT do "Through My Words/Fatal Tragedy" last tour, and "Strange Deja-Vu" this tour, I couldn't help but shed tears. It was just too overwhelming, since SFAM was my first DT album, and it's the one that made me fall in love with their music. And then I remember seeing LSFNY for the first time, and how much more powerful the whole musical journey felt. And being able to witness parts of it in person was just overwhelming.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Grizz

"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2014, 03:56:50 PM »
Pussies.

But really DT's music isn't something that would make me cry.  Other styles of music do when it reminds me of something personal.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2014, 04:27:40 PM »
The only other song I can think of that ever made me cry was The Raven That Refused To Sing + the music video.
That video is so emotionally powerful - damn you, Steven Wilson!

On topic, the last section on Illumination Theory (Surrender, Trust & Passion) is the nearest thing in DT's music that wants to make me cry. Not only because of the lyrics but James' singing is amazing, he was really inspired when they recorded that part.

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2014, 04:43:59 PM »
The Dark Eternal Night is so painful to listen to that it makes me tear up.  :P
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline GPedrosa

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2014, 04:51:53 PM »
When I had to put my 14 year old dog Drake to sleep last summer, as we sat under a tall Oak tree gazing out at a really pretty field......the breeze was blowing just right.....his head was laying in my lap and I was just petting him gently..........we were sharing our last moments together before the vet arrived to 'help' him on his way.......and while I looked at him, through my tear soaked eyes out of nowhere I began to "sing" the lines

"All your eyes have ever seen, all you've ever heard
Is etched upon my memory, is spoken through my words
All that I take with me is all you've left behind
We're sharing one eternity, living in two minds
Linked by an endless thread impossible to break"

From Through my Words. It was spontaneous....I didn't plan to do so and don't even know why I did. I get teary eyed anytime I hear that portion of the song because of what it means to me now.
This man just made me have to hold my tears now.

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2014, 05:02:47 PM »
That song/video is so moving. Steven Wilson has so much great material.

"No One There" by Sentenced plus the video has also made me cry once or twice...
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2014, 08:01:25 PM »
Um... DUH... ;) :biggrin:

Here's my "gotcha!" list:
The Spirit Carries On (MUCH more so live sometimes)
Losing Time (this was more the first time I heard it, though)
The Answer Lies Within
Sacrificed Sons (It's hard for me to listen to this one, especially on 9/11 - I'm getting the feels just thinking about it.)
Octavarium (specifically Razor's Edge)
Repentance (rare, though - and it's during the long outro)
The Ministry of Lost Souls (the middle section kills the grandiose emotions though - IMO)
The Best of Times (My grandfather had passed away in September of 2008, and hearing the violin intro got me.  I'm glad that I was able to thank MP for that song and tell him the story of how I connected the song to my Granddad.)
Far From Heaven
Breaking All Illusions (especially live - I'm a BIG ball of feels during the whole song)
Beneath the Surface
Illumination Theory ("To really feel the joy in life... "  Man, I'm getting misty... :'( )

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2014, 08:04:56 PM »
I'm pretty sure the first time I listened to Octavarium all the way through (which was my first DT song) brought tears to my face.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin