Author Topic: Things that disappointed you when you finally saw/experienced it  (Read 8113 times)

Offline Dream Team

Re: Things that disappointed you when you finally saw/experienced it
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2014, 02:40:41 PM »

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2014, 06:44:42 PM »
Lets see. A few to be sure.

Plymouth Rock is just some stupid boulder with 1620 stamped into it that looks like it's resting in a storm drain. Literally there were leaves and litter and shit collected around it. Yaawwnn!

Hollywood Walk of Fame. A nasty, shitty, shithole of a place. Tacky as hell. The worst gift shops West of Gatlinburg Tennessee. Nasty.

Bolskine House. Not sure what I was expecting. It is a private residence, and I got a tour through some friends in Scotland. It did have a very creepy vibe, but only because of it's history. Not sure what I expected, but was unimpressed. Wow! A home owned by a sick sexual predator fuck who worshiped the devil, and it wound up being owned by another sick sexual predator fuck who worshiped the devil and played guitar. The only thing cool about it is the view over Loch Ness. Ehh..

Another thing in Scotland is the Crown Jewels in Edinburgh Castle. No recording devices of any kind are allowed inside the room where they are kept, and the room is nearly as dark as a cave. You can't really see them very well.

Other than those two things, I found everything else in Scotland to be epic as fuck. In fact we've been looking at property there now for over a year, and will probably buy a place (maybe on Iona) sometime in 2015. We bought a place in YYZ last year, but have been only about two weeks total there. If I'm gonna freeze my ass off at all, it's going to be in an epic place. Scotland is home to my soul.  :metal

The Alamo. The Alamo could have been awesome, except for the fact that the entire thing is surrounded by sidewalk and parking meters. It looks about as disgusting as you could imagine humanity could make a place. It really frosts my cake that in Europe and elsewhere, people respect and care for historical places. We wannna tear shit down, or put parking around it. Disgusting. Give you another example. My families Clan still has a castle in Scotland. We visted there a few times, and outside of the room where we stayed; literally 15' away , was the remains of an ancient Dun (fort). I asked our host how old it was, and he matter-of-factly said, "Hmm, they say its about 5-6,000 years old." WTF? Now of course, they didn't really need that land for anything other than to let sheep run around on it all this time; but had that been in the U.S., we would have torn it down just because it might one day be in the way.

The London Stone. A ton of legends (including that Arthur pulled Excalibur from it) not withstanding, there are more impressive rock displays in my yard and around my pool.

Mt. Rushmore is okay. The drive to get to Mt. Rushmore is long but pretty.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 06:51:05 PM by TempusVox »
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2014, 07:01:27 PM »
As a non- American (and not a real student of American history) you know the only reason I know the history of the Alamo don't you?  :D

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Theme Dreater

• The Destroyer of Worlds
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2014, 09:16:29 PM »
The Hobbit films.
I was told if you dream of the next world, you'll find yourself swimming in a lake of fire.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2014, 09:17:51 PM »
Oh god, yes, The Alamo. I went to San Antonio for work and figured that given how many times one hears about the Alamo, I certainly expected more than an empty house made of rocks.
In fact, all of San Antonio is kinda ... sad. The Riverwalk looks like Disneyworld's version of Mexico. And the margaritas I had there were nasty.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2014, 09:30:13 PM »
A bit shocked. I guess I agree about The Alamo itself...but I fell in love with the city of San Antonio, and the Riverwalk in particular.

I'd move there in a heartbeat if I could a) find work...and B) if it wasn't so damned hot and humid in the summer.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2014, 09:53:15 PM »
The Hobbit films.
I was more disappointed with the book.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2014, 09:54:45 PM »
Thus is weather down here. And why anything under 55 is considered cold to us. :lol

I recall only visiting the Alamo when I was very little while visiting some relatives over there. Don't remember much about it honestly, but I was like 5 at the time.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2014, 06:41:03 AM »
Yea, the Alamo is completely underwhelming. I'd forgotten about my visit in fact  :lol

I thought the river walk was good fun but I was much younger then. I'm not sure how I'd feel about it now. I found the residents of San Antonio to be very pleasant and fun.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2014, 07:12:23 AM »
Citizen Kane.  Finally watched it after AFI named it best movie ever.  It's alright.  I can see that it was very innovative for it's time, and surely very influential for other filmmakers.  But, by my modern sensibilities it's kinda boring.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2014, 07:18:24 AM »
Citizen Kane.  Finally watched it after AFI named it best movie ever.  It's alright.  I can see that it was very innovative for it's time, and surely very influential for other filmmakers.  But, by my modern sensibilities it's kinda boring.

I agree with most of this, although I wouldn't say it disappointed me either. I still quite enjoyed it.
If you've watched a lot of films from the era, you can see many ways in which it was innovative for the time which can get lost when viewing it through modern eyes, but as a story, I only thought it was ok/good. And when a movie is continually labeled as the best movie ever, that sets the expectations very high, so it's understandable that it's going to be overrated to a lot of people.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2014, 07:21:14 AM »
It's not my favorite movie, but it is so well made and the story is captivating.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2014, 07:48:37 AM »
When I was a kid, I stood in front of a mirror and said "bloody Mary" three times. Nothing has happened

......yet
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2014, 08:39:09 AM »
A whole lot of television shows, the latest victim being Breaking Bad. Nothing is as good as that show's fanbase hypes it to be.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2014, 08:52:48 AM »
It closed a few years ago, but if you really wanted to see The Alamo you'd have been better off driving a few hundred miles to the West to see John Wayne's version. Much more like the original than the original. You get the whole compound so you can get all O'Brien and Bashir if you wish, and a nice representation of what San Antonio would have looked like, as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alamo_Village
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2014, 10:02:45 AM »
A whole lot of television shows, the latest victim being Breaking Bad. Nothing is as good as that show's fanbase hypes it to be.  :lol

You shut that hole in your face!

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2014, 11:04:20 AM »
I didn't say it was bad, I said it couldn't possibly be as good as the hype.  And to me it wasn't.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2014, 11:28:09 AM »
I watched the entire first series and it wasn't for me.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #88 on: May 01, 2014, 10:41:36 PM »
You guys talking about The Alamo reminded me of the time I was in San Antonio on business a few years back.  A co-worker and I flew down and rented a car at the airport, and the rental car came with a map of the area.  Just outside of town was China Grove, like in the Doobie Brothers song.  "...a sleepy little town, down around San Antone."  So of course we had to go there.  Figured we'd find a place, any place, and eat dinner in China Grove, just to say we'd been there.

The place was like a ghost town.  The first thing you see after entering China Grove city limits is an abandoned gas station that's clearly been like that for a good 10 or 20 years.  There was no downtown, just a general store and a bank next door.  Once we passed that, we were out in the sticks again.  That was it.  The only place we possibly could have had a bite to eat was the dive restaurant attached to the general store.  Parked in front were six pickup trucks, five of which had gun racks mounted in them.  We blew it off.

Oh yeah, we also checked out The Alamo, and it was just as disappointing as everyone else has said.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 06:54:07 AM by Orbert »

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: May 01, 2014, 10:55:36 PM »
The film Avatar. It was blue Indians versus future cowboys. We'd seen that movie played out how many times in Westerns and in actual history? At one point it started to become so cliche it actual started pissing me off. Being 1/4 Cherokee didn't help me embrace the film any either. To me it was like Cameron decided that the plight and history of the treatment of American Indians wasn't sexy enough for him, so he decided to create "Blue Indians" to spice things up. The symbolism was too much for me. And I know, there are a ton of fan boys for that film here. But I was really disappointed to see it.

Also Super 8. It was Goonies meets E.T. meets War of the Worlds; and the result of that mish-mash was less than impressive imo.. I mean could Abrams have suckled at the teat, and kissed the backside of Spielberg any more in that film? Doubtful.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #90 on: May 03, 2014, 05:05:51 AM »
I find it interesting that the first thing that popped in my head when I saw this thread title was the motherfucking Alamo.  I come in to find I'm in good company.  :lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: May 03, 2014, 05:53:33 AM »
When I was a kid, I stood in front of a mirror and said "bloody Mary" three times. Nothing happened :(

I tried it with " Bloody 'ell " and nothing 'appened so I 'ad a cuppa tea.

Lavly.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #92 on: May 03, 2014, 07:58:11 AM »
The classic horror movies like Friday the 13th, etc.  I saw them as an adult one Halloween with some friends, and I was like "this isn't scary". 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #93 on: May 03, 2014, 09:11:42 AM »
Masturbating with sand paper. Very disappointing...

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #94 on: May 03, 2014, 09:32:38 AM »

:justjen

I'm trying to figure out why anyone would even attempt this..
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #95 on: May 03, 2014, 09:47:07 AM »

:justjen

I'm trying to figure out why anyone would even attempt this..
Because using vaseline is for noobs.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #96 on: May 03, 2014, 03:19:23 PM »

Depends on the grit. :eyebrows:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cable

« Reply #97 on: May 04, 2014, 08:34:47 AM »
I didn't say it was bad, I said it couldn't possibly be as good as the hype.  And to me it wasn't.  :lol

Thank you for saying it. I enjoyed the show and some of the characters , but it wasn't anything ground breaking.

And at least the second half of Season 5, minus the finale, was very subpar IMO. Yet the percentage of ratings of it is at like 99% or something.
---

Offline jammindude

« Reply #98 on: May 04, 2014, 10:00:46 AM »
The classic horror movies like Friday the 13th, etc.  I saw them as an adult one Halloween with some friends, and I was like "this isn't scary".

I suppose it depends on the movie.  Friday the 13th never really scared me that much.  I always thought it was overhyped rubbish.    For some reason The Exorcist never scared me either, I just thought it was gross.   "Let's make an 8 year old look ugly, swear alot and throw vomit all over the place."   Not scary.    All of the 80's "slasher film" knock off's were pretty stupid as well.   Prom Night, My Bloody Valentine, Happy Birthday To Me....all stupid. 

But there are two originals that still scare the living crap out of me to this day.   The first Halloween, and the first Nightmare on Elm Street.    I haven't watched them in years, but I do know that even after multiple viewings, they absolutely had me hiding under the covers for days afterwards. 

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #99 on: May 04, 2014, 10:03:13 AM »

Thank you for saying it. I enjoyed the show and some of the characters , but it wasn't anything ground breaking.

And at least the second half of Season 5, minus the finale, was very subpar IMO. Yet the percentage of ratings of it is at like 99% or something.

A television show doesn't have to be ground-breaking to be great.

I was aware that Breaking Bad's hype was off the charts, yet when I watched all of it for the first time last summer and early fall, it still surpassed my expectations.  Best show I've ever seen, and it ain't close (and considering how much I worship The Sopranos, that is really saying something).  But, to each his own. :coolio

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #100 on: May 04, 2014, 10:06:46 AM »
As a Brit, the insides of the Houses of Parliament. Just.. dull.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #101 on: May 04, 2014, 10:15:40 AM »

I suppose it depends on the movie.  Friday the 13th never really scared me that much.  I always thought it was overhyped rubbish.    For some reason The Exorcist never scared me either, I just thought it was gross.   "Let's make an 8 year old look ugly, swear alot and throw vomit all over the place."   Not scary.    All of the 80's "slasher film" knock off's were pretty stupid as well.   Prom Night, My Bloody Valentine, Happy Birthday To Me....all stupid. 

But there are two originals that still scare the living crap out of me to this day.   The first Halloween, and the first Nightmare on Elm Street.    I haven't watched them in years, but I do know that even after multiple viewings, they absolutely had me hiding under the covers for days afterwards.

The first Halloween. I'm 50, and that film can still make me flinch, and Ican't tell you how many times I've seen it. Scary stuff indeed! I remember when my son was like 11 or 12. We were at a harvest festival, with pumpkins, and hay bales all around. There was a chill crisp in the air. Perfect autumn day. We'd just finished going through a corn maze and were siting down enoying some pumpkin ice cream, and he asked me my favorite scary movie. So, I'm eating my ice cream cone, and I guess I got caught up in the moment and started telling him in loose terms about Halloween and Michael Meyers. He asked me a few questions, and I went on and on. As I was finishing my cone I look up and he's got melted ice cream all over his hand, and he's looking at me with absolute horror!  :lol Oops! Dad went too far. A couple of years later he saw it finally at a friends house. Now HE is terrified/obsessed of that movie! So, yeah, I've passed that neurosis on to my kid. Yay!  :lol

Offline Cable

« Reply #102 on: May 04, 2014, 10:27:32 AM »

A television show doesn't have to be ground-breaking to be great.

I was aware that Breaking Bad's hype was off the charts, yet when I watched all of it for the first time last summer and early fall, it still surpassed my expectations.  Best show I've ever seen, and it ain't close (and considering how much I worship The Sopranos, that is really saying something).  But, to each his own. :coolio

True. I feel like with the hype, I expected it to be something mind blowing and new. I did throughly enjoyed the show, just thought the NeoNazis were extremely weak as a group, with had no great motivation for anything. I know nothing could top Gus, but I was just very let down with how they were bad because they were bad. Yet the hype I read while I waited for the second half to be released was out of the planet. And outside of the finale being great, I feel it could have basically ended after the first half of season 5.
---

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2014, 11:22:20 AM »
I have yet to go there myself, but I heard that Plymouth Rock is absolutely underwhelming.

Here, I'll save you the trip:

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #104 on: May 04, 2014, 11:26:48 AM »
I think most B movies that people have recommended to me. Some of them are absolute gold, but some are just sooo bad