Author Topic: Things that disappointed you when you finally saw/experienced it  (Read 8117 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: Things that disappointed you when you finally saw/experienced it
« Reply #175 on: May 12, 2014, 01:52:14 PM »
There's not one B-Side in the bunch.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Grizz

« Reply #176 on: May 18, 2014, 07:49:18 PM »
Frozen.
The weak plot quickly became an overly predictable mess of Tangled and The Princess and the Frog thrown in a blender.
The setup was brilliant, but the execution sucked. Much like Up and disc 1 of SDoIT, the first act was perfect but it quickly went downhill from there.
Too many of Olaf's antics are just annoying throwaway gags for comic relief, like Eddie Murphy's lines in The Haunted Mansion, or Mike Portnoy's lines in BC&SL.
And that damn song. I've heard it so much that I never want to hear it again. Now I know why my dad despises Pull Me Under.
For what it is, it's great. It was just so overhyped that when I watched it, and got excited once the plot was established, I quickly grew bored.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #177 on: May 18, 2014, 08:52:49 PM »
Frozen.
The weak plot quickly became an overly predictable mess of Tangled and The Princess and the Frog thrown in a blender.
The setup was brilliant, but the execution sucked. Much like Up and disc 1 of SDoIT, the first act was perfect but it quickly went downhill from there.
Too many of Olaf's antics are just annoying throwaway gags for comic relief, like Eddie Murphy's lines in The Haunted Mansion, or Mike Portnoy's lines in BC&SL.
And that damn song. I've heard it so much that I never want to hear it again. Now I know why my dad despises Pull Me Under.
For what it is, it's great. It was just so overhyped that when I watched it, and got excited once the plot was established, I quickly grew bored.

We can never be friends.  :lol
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #178 on: May 18, 2014, 08:56:15 PM »
Frozen was a decent movie bogged down by way to many musical numbers, many of which were annoying. Doesn't even register on the save level as Tangled, which is a current classic for Disney if you ask me.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #179 on: May 18, 2014, 09:20:33 PM »
Since we're on the subject of Frozen, the song "Let It Go". People hyped that thing like crazy. Then finally I heard it. And it was.... all right. Nothing spectacular. I couldn't even recall the melody now if I wanted to. Alas.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #180 on: May 18, 2014, 09:24:17 PM »
I heard that at an Arby's the other day. I wanted to stab my ears out.  :mehlin

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #181 on: May 18, 2014, 09:35:30 PM »
I've not watched the movie nor seen a video of the song and I pretty much know how it goes. The incessant spamming of this song on the web and in real life is a bit much honestly, since it's an alright song at best. The most quoted line/melody is literally only a few seconds long as well and yet its attained this almost meme-like status.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #182 on: May 18, 2014, 09:51:22 PM »
I didn't even hate it. It was just very OK.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #183 on: May 20, 2014, 06:57:43 AM »
I've still never heard the Frozen song. Evading overplayed current trend pop songs seems to be my superpower.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #184 on: May 20, 2014, 07:01:39 AM »
Iron maiden - Number of the Beast

Sounded like a demo. And I'm sorry but Nicko Mcbrain is a dreadful drummer.

Good thing he started his dreadful drumming on the next album then. And if you think NotB sounds like a demo, you never heard a demo from 1982  :rollin

My bad! I stand by both statements though. He is an awful drummer and NOTB is over rated. Just my opinion though.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: May 20, 2014, 11:07:10 AM »
Yeah i've never understood the love for Nicko.

He seems really average to me and his drum set up is ridiculous.

The way it's set up just can not be efficient at all.

It looks like the way you set up drums before you can play to look cool - but he never changed it.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: May 20, 2014, 11:14:39 AM »
Frozen was just okay. I think the reason it blew up so much is that the demographic of girls ages 17-20 that love Disney musical nostalgia is the largest it's ever been. Let It Go is a pretty simple four chord song, but I think its popularity has a lot to do with the great performance by the legitimately talented broadway singer Idina Menzel. It's sung in a virtuosic and proud way that goes along well with the subject matter of the text. People now can't help but sing along with a song that'd otherwise be quickly forgotten.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: May 20, 2014, 11:20:38 AM »
I thought Frozen was targeted to a much younger crowd, or maybe that is just because I have a 3 year old, and I get goosebumps when I see her dance around singing about building a snowman.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: May 20, 2014, 11:25:48 AM »
It was. But so was MLP.

Edit: I should clarify that I do think that the intended demographic is probably the largest fraction of the viewers, but for the movie to appear as popular as it does (like getting Let It Go on the radio) to us, it has to be popular to an older demographic as well.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #189 on: May 20, 2014, 02:02:13 PM »
It looks like the way you set up drums before you can play to look cool - but he never changed it.

I think if you get an honest IM fan, he/she will agree that Nicko is (musically) probably the weakest member in the bunch.
But then again, IM is not exactly about virtuosity, so (probably correctly) one can be a fan of Nicko since he gets the job done.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #190 on: May 20, 2014, 03:42:57 PM »
It was. But so was MLP.

Edit: I should clarify that I do think that the intended demographic is probably the largest fraction of the viewers, but for the movie to appear as popular as it does (like getting Let It Go on the radio) to us, it has to be popular to an older demographic as well.

Well, MLP's intended demographic is definitely NOT the largest fraction of the viewers.  :lol
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #191 on: May 20, 2014, 05:26:33 PM »
I think Nicko's spent a lot of time of his career on autopilot as a drummer-he spends a LOT of later Maiden playing the same ride cymbal/snare parts to match the gallop-but the guy who played Where Eagles Dare without using double bass, a bad drummer? I think he just got into a comfort zone and never broke out of it, but the drumming on the 80s Maiden albums is pretty fucking incredible in terms of what everyone else in heavy metal was doing. Hell his ability to play complex bass drum parts with one foot, in my opinion, is only surpassed by John Bonham and (shockingly) Phil Collins in his prime. I'll gladly admit he's been on cruise control since about 1992, but his base talent level certainly isn't "bad drummer."
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #192 on: May 20, 2014, 05:27:38 PM »
Frozen was just okay. I think the reason it blew up so much is that the demographic of girls ages 17-20 that love Disney musical nostalgia is the largest it's ever been. Let It Go is a pretty simple four chord song, but I think its popularity has a lot to do with the great performance by the legitimately talented broadway singer Idina Menzel. It's sung in a virtuosic and proud way that goes along well with the subject matter of the text. People now can't help but sing along with a song that'd otherwise be quickly forgotten.

Umm....this video would like to have a word with you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWnGwj9s-Fk
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #193 on: May 20, 2014, 07:34:06 PM »

Yeah, much prefer Clive. Nicko knows like 2 fills. Too laid-back, Bonham-ish for me. I prefer someone who really drives the beat forward like Clive did.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #194 on: May 20, 2014, 07:36:05 PM »

Funny thing though, for a supposedly talented singer, she hits a lot of notes in that song that just sound "wrong" to my ears. I can name a ton of female singers who I think could do it better.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: May 20, 2014, 07:44:29 PM »
Umm....this video would like to have a word with you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWnGwj9s-Fk

Great video! :lol But it doesn't negate anything I said.

Funny thing though, for a supposedly talented singer, she hits a lot of notes in that song that just sound "wrong" to my ears. I can name a ton of female singers who I think could do it better.

I don't hear anything wrong, but you're entitled to that opinion. The thing is, regardless of how good she actually is, to the average listener/viewer, it sounds great. That's all you need for a song to be a hit. I'm sure no one will argue with me about that.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #196 on: May 20, 2014, 08:24:11 PM »
That's all you need for a song to be a hit. I'm sure no one will argue with me about that.

I agree with you, but I'm going to argue with you.
:implode:

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #197 on: May 20, 2014, 08:44:11 PM »

Yes! Some of those higher notes seem... weird. I think the song's alright but some of those notes just rub me the wrong way. Like there's a small autotune sensed in some of them.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: May 21, 2014, 09:54:44 AM »
I think you're right; I get that feeling too. There is some heavy autotune in that recording.

I agree with you, but I'm going to argue with you.
:implode:

:implode2:

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #199 on: May 21, 2014, 09:57:06 AM »
:lemmeseeurwarface:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #200 on: May 21, 2014, 10:00:13 AM »
I think Nicko's spent a lot of time of his career on autopilot as a drummer-he spends a LOT of later Maiden playing the same ride cymbal/snare parts to match the gallop-but the guy who played Where Eagles Dare without using double bass, a bad drummer? I think he just got into a comfort zone and never broke out of it, but the drumming on the 80s Maiden albums is pretty fucking incredible in terms of what everyone else in heavy metal was doing. Hell his ability to play complex bass drum parts with one foot, in my opinion, is only surpassed by John Bonham and (shockingly) Phil Collins in his prime. I'll gladly admit he's been on cruise control since about 1992, but his base talent level certainly isn't "bad drummer."

I disagree. I think Nicko's had pushed himself and improved a lot on the  reunion albums. The whole band had upped their overall game on these albums.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol