Author Topic: More Senseless Violence  (Read 2392 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
More Senseless Violence
« on: April 25, 2014, 12:24:13 PM »
https://www.wfsb.com/story/25339366/stabbing-reported-at-jonathan-law-high-school-in-milford
Gut wrenching sad day in my hometown. A 16 year old girl was stabbed to death this morning by an ex boyfriend distraught she turned him down for tonight's prom. Stabbed her 7 time times leaving her bleeding in the stairwell. That is the high school I graduated from. The high school my daughter will attend this fall. I feel so sick right now. I don't know how my daughter will take this. Just an awful day in my town.
This really has me a wreck.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: More Senseless Violence
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 12:47:28 PM »
Yeah. This made me sick to my stomach when I read it earlier. I'm just a few miles out of Milford and know a lot of people in that town. Absolutely disgusting.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 12:50:46 PM »
Prom is serious business  :|
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 01:28:03 PM »
Too soon, man.
I am disgusted as a fellow high school student from New Haven County.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 02:41:08 PM »
You know what's crazy about stuff like this?  It always seems to stem from some petty quarrel.

I mean, come on.  She turned you down for a prom date so the logical thing to do is stab and kill her.   :|

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 02:59:54 PM »
I'll never get it. Sorry to hear that Rich.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 03:01:51 PM »
You know what's crazy about stuff like this?  It always seems to stem from some petty quarrel.

I mean, come on.  She turned you down for a prom date so the logical thing to do is stab and kill her.   :|
I hear ya.  :sad:

I guess the new mantra...everyone is a winner, everyone gets an award or a trophy for participating doesn't really teach kids how to deal with rejection?
Its sickening a beautiful young girl is dead for nothing.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 03:10:55 PM »
I guess the new mantra...everyone is a winner, everyone gets an award or a trophy for participating doesn't really teach kids how to deal with rejection?
That's a bit of a stretch. People have lacked compassion, lacked coping skills and lacked common sense since long before the effect you're describing. I'm not diminishing what happened mind you, that's truly fucked up in my book, but I'm willing to bet such things have happened for as long as there have been high school proms. I wouldn't make it a modern day political issue.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 04:46:49 PM »

Exactly.

When I got turned down for prom, yeah I was disappointed, but then I went and got cheesesteaks, and watched pulp fiction. Turned out to actually be a pretty decent night after all.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 07:54:27 PM »
That's a bit of a stretch. People have lacked compassion, lacked coping skills and lacked common sense since long before the effect you're describing. I'm not diminishing what happened mind you, that's truly fucked up in my book, but I'm willing to bet such things have happened for as long as there have been high school proms. I wouldn't make it a modern day political issue.
Not going to argue about it. I do think kids are not properly taught to deal with rejection. You don't always make the team, you don't need to get a trophy even when you lose. Kids need to realize you don't always win, you don't always get what you want, and you need to suck it up and move on.
Definitely a lot of truth to that. I'm not saying that's why it happened, but it is becoming the culture.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 07:58:24 PM »
Not going to argue about it. I do think kids are not properly taught to deal with rejection. You don't always make the team, you don't need to get a trophy even when you lose. Kids need to realize you don't always win, you don't always get what you want, and you need to suck it up and move on.
Definitely a lot of truth to that. I'm not saying that's why it happened, but it is becoming the culture.

I fall on Ticks side of the fence on that argument. Entitlement isn't just a Government program....it's made its way into the culture of raising kids as well. I'm experiencing/seeing it more and more as my kids become more and more active.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 09:45:01 PM »
Not my intention to argue that kids don't feel entitled, although I do think this huge conspiracy that's pussifying the youth of America is more a creation of the conservative talking heads than anything else (though I'd certainly be interested in hearing any real world examples you fathers of youngins have personally come across). My point was that in mentioning that in a thread about some asswipe killing a girl who backed out of going to the prom with him you're drawing a connection between the two events, whether that was the intention or not. Seemed like an attempt to politicize a rather unfortunate event, frankly.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 10:20:07 PM »
I've never asked, therefore I've never been rejected. Well, I have asked once, but that doesn't really count since I was basically told to by someone else. However, there are a ton of friends of mine I would ask.

It sickens me that a rejection would cause such despair in a person to murder someone. Obviously the parents of the child had given him everything he had ever wanted, and when that built up entitlement had failed him, when he didn't get what he wanted, he burst, like a grenade blowing up inside a glass ball. Very sad indeed.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 10:49:12 PM »
Not my intention to argue that kids don't feel entitled, although I do think this huge conspiracy that's pussifying the youth of America is more a creation of the conservative talking heads than anything else (though I'd certainly be interested in hearing any real world examples you fathers of youngins have personally come across). My point was that in mentioning that in a thread about some asswipe killing a girl who backed out of going to the prom with him you're drawing a connection between the two events, whether that was the intention or not. Seemed like an attempt to politicize a rather unfortunate event, frankly.

Yeah, even though I understand Ticks point and think that the connection between the two,isn't as direct as it is.....more removed a few times over but 'related'.....this is probably the wrong thread to debate the topic.

My experiences as a young Dad deal largely in the sports department, particularly the introductory ages of each sport where everyone does get a trophy, there is no score kept and so on. I 'get' why it's done but at the same time (in my best old man grandpa voice) "it wasn't done like that when I was a kid"

Anyway, evil behavior like this has been around forever and will always be around. I'm sure we could offer many different theories and explanations of those theories on why he stabbed that girl....bottom line to me is that the kid was just evil.....as you can often tell "who" a person is by the fruit of their spirit.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2014, 04:12:43 AM »
Anyway, evil behavior like this has been around forever and will always be around. I'm sure we could offer many different theories and explanations of those theories on why he stabbed that girl....bottom line to me is that the kid was just evil.....as you can often tell "who" a person is by the fruit of their spirit.
No, we shouldn't give up that easily with "the kid was just evil". This is a symptom of a bigger problem, and the problem is that today's teenage boys are raised to be more violent and entitled than ever before. Yes, boys in specific, I'm tired of seeing everyone skirting around this explanation all the time. I'll be the last to pull the "this generation" card, but the rates of rape and assault in college, all of the school shootings (it's ALWAYS a 20-something dude coming from a relatively privileged background, that is, he's white, who is "an outcast"), the sort of behaviour I see from dudes in the streets at night time all the fucking time, their yelling and screaming and breaking bottles and fist fights that break out literally every night, their lack of filter, it all points to the fact that they're the first to bring a knife to a fist fight.

And they never get punished for it, in the sense that they never get told "this is wrong and this is disgusting and you were fully aware of what you were doing". It's always "mental illness, they were such good boys, they were such good football players, if only that person didn't say no to them/if only that person didn't anger them". If they rape a girl in college, they get sympathetic coverage on CNN, and the hacker that exposed them gets a longer prison sentence than them. If they blow up marathon runners, they get sympathetic coverage in Rolling Stone. It's always "senseless violence", when in fact we do have a type of person that commits most of these horrible crimes over petty things that usually get in the news. It's a young dude that gets everything he wants.

The point is, today's good boys are the ones that don't soak up the socialization they're subjected under in the society we're currently living in (masculinity is "testosterone", "action", detachedness, lack of empathy because empathy is "gay", there is no such thing as not getting the girl). And there is a lot of them, don't get me wrong, we have many examples on this forum. But I think we're all a little too closed up in our circle of good kids to look outside into the real world and see how they behave. I think most of our youngsters would agree that there is a reason they avoid the usual club/rave/get drunk and party scene, and I think most of you fogeys would agree that it wasn't like that when you were growing up.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2014, 06:10:12 AM »

Yeah, even though I understand Ticks point and think that the connection between the two,isn't as direct as it is.....more removed a few times over but 'related'.....this is probably the wrong thread to debate the topic.

My experiences as a young Dad deal largely in the sports department, particularly the introductory ages of each sport where everyone does get a trophy, there is no score kept and so on. I 'get' why it's done but at the same time (in my best old man grandpa voice) "it wasn't done like that when I was a kid"

You are right, this isn't the thread for a debate as such. I'm sorry for writing the thoughts going through my mind on a difficult surreal day in my home.
While I do understand evil has always been around, I can only say for me personally....When I was in high school I never had a fearful bone in my body that something horrific could happen at any moment. I'm sure kids today feel completely different than kids in my day. Today, kids do proceed with caution because evil can strike anywhere when least expected.

I am very close to this situation and I have friends who are out of there minds with rage today over this because they're daughters were were close to Maran Sanchez and they loved her very much. One friend of mine said when he daughter was with Maran you knew you could rest easy because she was the kind of kid you wanted with your children.

I live a half mile from the school and every news crew from the tri state area is here. My beach a half mile from my front door had hundreds mourning last night in a vigil. My daughter is 13 and she will attend Law in the fall. She is trying to process this. I am very emotional right now and debating rejection and its effects is definitely better suited for another thread at another time.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2014, 06:13:21 AM »
No, we shouldn't give up that easily with "the kid was just evil". This is a symptom of a bigger problem, and the problem is that today's teenage boys are raised to be more violent and entitled than ever before. Yes, boys in specific, I'm tired of seeing everyone skirting around this explanation all the time. I'll be the last to pull the "this generation" card, but the rates of rape and assault in college, all of the school shootings (it's ALWAYS a 20-something dude coming from a relatively privileged background, that is, he's white, who is "an outcast"), the sort of behaviour I see from dudes in the streets at night time all the fucking time, their yelling and screaming and breaking bottles and fist fights that break out literally every night, their lack of filter, it all points to the fact that they're the first to bring a knife to a fist fight.

And they never get punished for it, in the sense that they never get told "this is wrong and this is disgusting and you were fully aware of what you were doing". It's always "mental illness, they were such good boys, they were such good football players, if only that person didn't say no to them/if only that person didn't anger them". If they rape a girl in college, they get sympathetic coverage on CNN, and the hacker that exposed them gets a longer prison sentence than them. If they blow up marathon runners, they get sympathetic coverage in Rolling Stone. It's always "senseless violence", when in fact we do have a type of person that commits most of these horrible crimes over petty things that usually get in the news. It's a young dude that gets everything he wants.

The point is, today's good boys are the ones that don't soak up the socialization they're subjected under in the society we're currently living in (masculinity is "testosterone", "action", detachedness, lack of empathy because empathy is "gay", there is no such thing as not getting the girl). And there is a lot of them, don't get me wrong, we have many examples on this forum. But I think we're all a little too closed up in our circle of good kids to look outside into the real world and see how they behave. I think most of our youngsters would agree that there is a reason they avoid the usual club/rave/get drunk and party scene, and I think most of you fogeys would agree that it wasn't like that when you were growing up.
Great post

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2014, 07:22:41 AM »
Parents give a kid everything, kid never experiences tantrums, kid grows up, still getting everything he wants (entitlement), kid experiences rejection for the first time, kid throws a giant tantrum, in other words stabbing this girl.

Kids are brought up with a sense of entitlement. I personally think it's the parents that are the problem.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2014, 07:26:55 AM »
Parents give a kid everything, kid never experiences tantrums, kid grows up, still getting everything he wants (entitlement), kid experiences rejection for the first time, kid throws a giant tantrum, in other words stabbing this girl.

Kids are brought up with a sense of entitlement. I personally think it's the parents that are the problem.

Sometimes that is very true and sometimes a person grows up with their own crazy ideas.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2014, 07:53:50 AM »

Sometimes that is very true and sometimes a person grows up with their own crazy ideas.
Their are no absolutes in these situations.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2014, 08:52:03 AM »
I'm mostly with EB and King here. I don't think this is entitlement related really. No matter what his parents taught him I'm pretty sure it wasn't "and when you don't get what you want, you grab a knife and kill the person". The fact that that step was taken indicates deeper issues then just " princess-ism".
As sad as the outcome is, I have to say I'm "happy" that this involved only a knife and one person, and not a gun and 10 people dead.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2014, 09:47:35 AM »
Well, I thought about starting a new thread to address the "kids are pussies" and "boys suck!" tangents we now have, but I figure that we're probably through offering sympathies over this young lady's unfortunate murder. This seems to be the direction of this thread now, so here we are.

Aside from the fact that pussification is probably not the primary factor in what went down here, I'm still interested in the phenomenon, and particularly how it might relate to situations such as this. This is a relatively new phenomenon, and I'm not real sure we know how it will play out, particularly since we haven't seen much in the way of consequences that can readily be applied without some pretty wild assumption. It seems to me that the situation prior to what we're calling the entitlement generation was, as GMD put it, suck it up and be a man. Well, that mentality also seems to have led to a lot of violence, as well. I see two issues here. For one thing, do we see as many people nowadays beating the shit out of their wives and kids? Seems like that might well have been a consequence of raising your kids to be John Wayne. It's possible that the kinder, gentler approach might actually be having positive effects on some violent tendencies, but it's still pretty early (keep in mind that the old school, be a man approach was around for generations--we're still pretty early into the be a pussy era). Also, as I've noted many times before, stabbing somebody because they pissed you off isn't exactly a new phenomenon. This has always happened. It does occur to me that the entitlement aspect might be providing yet another reason for people to snap, but as Rumbo put it, the snapping is a superficial aspect. It's resorting to stabbiness that's the bigger problem and that's something far deeper.

Now on to boys suck!

I'm not trying to detract from a serious issue and one that I know is very important to you. However I think you're taking a somewhat myopic approach. It's not that boys are being raised differently. Everybody is growing up differently because of a variety of factors, only a few of which are related to parenting. Society is changing and that change is occurring across the board. I'm not going to turn this into a "what about girls!" rant because I don't want anybody to think that I'm trying to deflect blame (which I'm not). Suffice it to say there are plenty of instances where their behavior is similarly abhorrent. What I will say is that rather than blaming parents or even the sensationalistic media for turning modern boys into douchebags, we should be looking at ourselves. While the media does do plenty to foster changes in behavior, it's also a reflection of society, as made up by young people, modern parents, and us old fucks. Society as a whole is changing, and like most things, there will be good changes and bad changes. As for the rape aspect of those changes, I'm not sure how things are in the rest of the world since the UCR is strictly an American thing, but over here at least, rape is on a rather nice downward decline. Since you're citing notable examples that get national news, I suspect you're referring to some American crime in your post, and part of the reason those are national news is because they're becoming less common. I'm not saying that these sorts of scumbags don't exist, they do, but as GMD suggested I think they're more the exception than the rule since we're all being exposed to what's around us and most people aren't completely antisocial.
E.F. Benson

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2014, 10:35:07 AM »
Regardless of our own personal beliefs a special life has been taken.
Opinions are what they are. They are opinions, not absolutes. So if you side with this person or that person, or whatever you think...its just your own view of what's happening around us.
An in depth conversation could be had about  the inability of teens to cope with rejection, and why, but it really wasn't the intent to have it here.
 BUT...I went there first so my bad.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2014, 10:40:33 AM »
Yeah, I agree and like I said I thought about starting a new thread. However, this seems to be the direction this thread has now taken. I figured if I did start a new thread, this one would just be abandoned altogether.
E.F. Benson

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2014, 05:58:18 AM »
Its not a good feeling having my home filled with news crews from everywhere, national and local.
School has been cancelled today and a 7:00 vigil is planned for tonight.
All I wanted this weekend was to have my daughter as close to my side as possible. She is so precious to me and I would self destruct without her.
I have never been so connected this closely to tragedy like this. My daughter Bri's good friends brother was the current boyfriend of Maren.
Also my brother in laws fiance is friends with the father of the boy who murdered Maren.
My daughter tends to not show her feelings all that much so I really don't have a good sense of what she is feeling through all of this. She had 6 friends over on Friday night and they spent quite a bit of time discussing the whole thing while they were here.
To keep seeing my high school on national news is quite surreal. During my time in that school I never had an ounce of fear something bad could happen. I wonder what my daughter is thinking about this happening in the school she has been so excited to start attending in the fall. Bri is a solid 4.0 high honors student who doesn't accept less than every grade being an A.
This whole thing has me reeling.