Author Topic: Number One Hope for the Next Tour's Setlist  (Read 4654 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Number One Hope for the Next Tour's Setlist
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2014, 06:54:22 PM »
I want Learning to Live! My favorite song has not been played at the 10+ times I have seen them!!!!!  Might as well add Wait for Sleep too!

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2014, 07:44:57 PM »
+1 for what Rob said about Don't Look Past Me.

Also Disappear would be great live -- and could work the same way Space Dye Vest created a contrasting, and beautifully haunting mood in the middle of the setlist.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2014, 10:02:47 PM »
THE. GLASS. FUCKING. PRISON.

I'd give literally anything for that song live. I've always maintained playing disc 1 of SDOIT straight + an epic would be the absolute perfect second set of a concert. The album just flows the way a concert should. Start off with the heaviest song they have and go right into 2 soft-yet-heavy type songs. Then the very progressive and experimental TGD, with Disappear closing it out like SDVest is doing perfectly on this tour before they dive into, let's say for this tour, Illumination Theory. It'd be absolutely brilliant. Disc 1 is also something like 55 minutes though.  :lol

But yeah, the only time I've seen them live is this tour, so there's a LOT I'd die if I saw live (the epics, BitS, SFAM in it's entirety, As I Am, etc), but The Glass Prison is beyond my #1 on my list of wanting to see it live.

I wonder if they'll make a few changes for a second US leg and swap TSF for TGP (pretty please? :biggrin:)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2014, 10:05:18 PM »
TGP is number one for me. I'm astounded they didn't finally do it this tour.

I get why they went with The Shattered Fortress. It was repentance (heh) for no Black Clouds on the Dramatic Tour (same with FII and Trial of Tears), it was another song that was never played live, and since it's the only song from 6DoIT-BC&SL on the tour, it makes up for that by having themes, melodies or homages to songs from all of the albums of that period.

I get why they chose it too, but I don't think it's a very good song, and it's almost a taunt, because it meets all of the criteria of TGP to support that there's no reason they couldn't have played TGP instead! :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2014, 10:12:30 PM »
TGP is number one for me. I'm astounded they didn't finally do it this tour.

I get why they went with The Shattered Fortress. It was repentance (heh) for no Black Clouds on the Dramatic Tour (same with FII and Trial of Tears), it was another song that was never played live, and since it's the only song from 6DoIT-BC&SL on the tour, it makes up for that by having themes, melodies or homages to songs from all of the albums of that period.

I get why they chose it too, but I don't think it's a very good song, and it's almost a taunt, because it meets all of the criteria of TGP to support that there's no reason they couldn't have played TGP instead! :lol
This 100%. It's been 8 years just play the damn song already!!  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2014, 10:24:37 PM »
I like the idea of doing disc 1 of SDOIT that I see being brought up.  Theyve done disc 2 enough and disc 1 is better IMO.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2014, 10:28:02 PM »
I like the idea of doing disc 1 of SDOIT that I see being brought up.  Theyve done disc 2 enough and disc 1 is better IMO.
As long as they omit TGD, I'm all for it.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2014, 10:34:43 PM »

I don't even count them as ever properly performing disc two since the SDOIT tour, except for Score. Playing the same snippet of WIMH/TTTSTA constantly doesn't count imo. It's like if they played "Another World" in a medley, then saying they don't need to play ACOS because they've played it enough.
Obviously I have no expectation of them playing it though, because it's just too damn long to play at every show. Even the 20+ minute epics such as ACOS/ITPOE/8V don't fit in.

The whole album has been so under-represented live imo. Hopefully the next tour lines up to some SDOIT anniversary. :P

As long as they omit TGD, I'm all for it.

There's nothing wrong with TGD, although they have played that one much more recently, so I'd much rather them play the rarely played tracks.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2014, 10:38:28 PM »
Yea it seems TGD has gotten the most play from disc 1 and while I like it, its not as good as TGP or BF IMO.  Ive seen Misunderstood a couple times though so for me, I could pass on that,

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2014, 10:39:34 PM »
Yea it seems TGD has gotten the most play from disc 1 and while I like it, its not as good as TGP or BF IMO.  Ive seen Misunderstood a couple times though so for me, I could pass on that,

The weird part is that the reason they dropped it last tour was because the response to it wasn't that great... So it does make me wonder why they're so insistent on bringing it back.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2014, 10:59:01 PM »

The weird part is that the reason they dropped it last tour was because the response to it wasn't that great... So it does make me wonder why they're so insistent on bringing it back.

Oh yea? They said that.  I could see how thats the case, but if they are choosing songs to get reactions, they should chose TGP, it seems like its a very popular song and would probably slay live.

« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2014, 11:01:01 PM »
I believe they did, but don't quote me.
Yeah, The Glass Prison would definitely get a great response.

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2014, 11:03:47 PM »
I was hoping to listen to Lifting Shadows off a Dream and Trial of Tears. Lucky for me, they're playing both of those on the current tour. I'd like to see Blind Faith  now and, different to most , I'm not quite anxious for TGP. Granted, it's a great live song and it should be cool to listen to it with Mangini, but it's not on my priority list to be honest. Same with ITNOG, but that one's farther up than TGP.

I wonder if they, mostly JLB, would be up to playing Take the Time. It could be risky for JLB's performances if the "if there's a pensive fear" part comes to be too demanding, but perhaps they could once or a few times so that we can get the whole I&W played by the current line-up already  :lol

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2014, 11:38:31 PM »

I'd love to see ACOS, but JP said the +20-minute songs are too long to be played so I doubt it'll happen.

I think that applied to the ADTOE tour where he probably didn't want to spend 20 minutes on a single "old" song when they were only playing for a little over two hours.  But with the three hour shows back, they can do it.  If there is a 20-minute plus song on the next album, it will obviously get played, but if not, they could bring one of the older ones back.  My bet would be on The Count of Tuscany, since that hasn't been on a live DVD yet, and needs to be.
The interview TheAtliator linked a few posts above yours is from this tour and JP says he'd like to play Octavarium and Six Degrees, but they would eat up too much time in the setlist. He says they'll probably bring those back at some point, though.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2014, 05:11:48 AM »
Songs I'd love to hear live next time:

The Killing Hand, Another Day, A Change Of Seasons, You Not Me, Anna Lee, One Last Time, Disappear, Stream Of Consciousness, The Root Of All Evil, Sacrificed Sons, In The Presence Of Enemies (part 2), Bridges In The Sky, The Bigger Picture.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2014, 05:33:01 AM »
The ministry of lost souls...  :blush

INB4 Flames....

Offline adastra

« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2014, 06:00:15 AM »
Just Let Me Breathe!!!!!! YEAH! 
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2014, 06:00:23 AM »
Anything from TOT or 8VM. That's the only thing I'm missing this tour. BITS would be great too.

Offline James Sucellus

« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2014, 06:10:38 AM »
I've never seen the damn band live, so I could put anything here, but I'll second Disappear.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2014, 07:32:33 AM »
My number one hope for the next tour? The Glass Prison without question, I'd LOVE to see that song played live.

Other random songs I'd like to see:

The Bigger Picture, Behind The Veil, In the Presence of Enemies, Sacrificed Sons, About to Crash, Disappear, A Change of Seasons, etc...

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2014, 07:38:25 AM »
I am with the OP. I want my favourite song to be played, even though it's a tough one for James and will have to take the fixed place of show closer. Because seriously, wherever else could Learning To Live be played without wasting the potential of DAT OUTRO?
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2014, 10:25:02 AM »
The ministry of lost souls...  :blush

INB4 Flames....

That would be awesome!  :tup

Offline The Holy Tune

« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2014, 02:19:26 PM »
8VM as an encore, oh god I'd faint right away and miss half of the song! ;D

Or TMOLS right before or after SDV would get me crying like I've never cried!

Misunderstood would be awesome. Such an extraordinary and beautiful song, such little live performances.

Could be weird but I also would love to see an Innocence Faded performance too, I loved when they did it at Score.

Surrounded, LTL, Never Enough, Disappear, Blind Faith and Only A Matter Of Time would be other choices. But I doubt if James' breath would be enough to sing OAMOT as he had trouble singing it all the way back in 2004. Still, would be damn cool!

Offline rush-signals

• Was into DT before you!
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2014, 05:53:21 PM »
I for one can't wait for 2017 and the 20th anniversary of FII, oh yeah! Will get lots of songs from it then.
Thanks,
Dave

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2014, 09:21:48 PM »
I'd love to hear Through Her Eyes....has that even been played since the Metropolis 2000 tour??

They've played it eleven times after that tour.. https://goo.gl/mXqYvN

https://goo.gl/6PlVXV I wish I was there..

There's two different things some have been taken as one: a yearned tour's setlist and a yearned DVD's tracklist..

I really hope to see one of these some day:

-Any of TOT.. (I know you DT guys can make that happen!)
-A Change of Seasons
-Take the Time
-Hell's Kitchen
-Fatal Tragedy
-The Glass Prison
-The Great Debate
-Disappear
-Repentance
-The Ministry of Lost Souls
-Octavarium
-The Count of Tuscany

The following would be on this previous list but they're not because it's almost a sure thing they'll be playing them here this tour:

-Scarred
-Overture 1928
-Strange Déjà vu
-The Dance of Eternity
-The Shattered Fortress

Must be in DVDs to come:

-Ytse Jam
-The Ones who Help to Set the Sun*
-Learning to Live
-Eve (extended version maybe?)
-A Change of Seasons
-Home
-Misunderstood
-The Great Debate
-Honor Thy Father
-Never Enough
-Prophets of War
-A Nightmare to Remember
-Wither

*I have the feeling that I'm the first in write the whole name entirely.. Not too hard.. ;D

-Light Fuse and Get Away
-Another Day
-Erotomania
-Voices
-Burning my Soul
-Hell's Kitchen
-Through my Words
-Fatal Tragedy
-The Glass Prison
-A Rite of Passage
-The Count of Tuscany
-Raw Dog

In fact, these are almost all the songs that are not yet in a DVD..
Here the songs to complete that list:

-Status Seeker
-The Killing Hand
-You Not Me
-Peruvian Skies
-Take Away My Pain
-Just Let me Breath
-Anna Lee
-Regression
-Through her Eyes
-One Last Time
-Repentance
-The Best of Times
-The Bigger Picture
-Behind the Veil
-Surrender to Reason

I guess I ended up saying more than just "one hope" for the next tours.. :smiley:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 10:08:24 PM by ToT-147 »
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline aprilethereal

Offline robwebster

« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2014, 04:49:09 AM »
In fact, these are almost all the songs that are not yet in a DVD..
Here the songs to complete that list:

-Peruvian Skies
-Just Let me Breath
-Regression
-Through her Eyes
-One Last Time
These are all on Metropolis 2000 and Five Years in a LIVEtime, aren't they? I could be misremembering with FYiaLT, but everything on Scenes definitely made it to Metropolis.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2014, 07:50:48 AM »
The fact Just Let Me Breathe hasn't somehow made it's way onto a 21st century DVD thing is confounding considering how much they seemed to play it.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2014, 08:27:09 AM »
Octavarium or ACOS.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2014, 09:14:49 AM »
I have seen them so many times at this point, of the classic albums (IAW-SDOIT) I've seen every tune performed live, and most of them multiple times.
That said, I am indeed looking forward to some SDOIT love next tour. Misunderstood, Blind Faith, those tunes are great.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2014, 01:41:53 PM »
The fact Just Let Me Breathe hasn't somehow made it's way onto a 21st century DVD thing is confounding considering how much they seemed to play it.
Not really, because it appeared on LSFNY (not the DVD, but still) and MP tried to avoid repeating songs from the previous live albums as much as possible. I actually wonder if they're gonna play JLMB again, because the lyrics are a little bit dated and it's not one of the most popular songs on FII.

Offline 425

« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2014, 04:09:39 PM »
The songs I most want to see are Octavarium, The Count of Tuscany and A Nightmare to Remember. The problem with that of course is that only one of those will ever appear in any given setlist.

I'd like to see the return of Learning to Live and the live debut of The Bigger Picture as well.

Contrary to the opinions of most people in this thread, aside from The Glass Prison, I could really do without them playing anything from SDOIT Disc 1. So many better songs and/or better live songs that they could do.

And also contrary to the opinions of most people on DTF, I really think they should take a crack at Constant Motion again. It would certainly put John through the paces from a singing point of view, but hey, if they're willing to go for TDEN they should be able go for this one too. This all to say nothing of the fact that it's an absolutely scorcher and would be a brilliant live song.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2014, 04:21:17 PM »
Not really, because it appeared on LSFNY (not the DVD, but still) and MP tried to avoid repeating songs from the previous live albums as much as possible. I actually wonder if they're gonna play JLMB again, because the lyrics are a little bit dated and it's not one of the most popular songs on FII.

It was on the DVD! It wasn't part of the two professionally recorded shows though.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2014, 04:23:28 PM »

It was on the DVD! It wasn't part of the two professionally recorded shows though.
It's not on the DVD.  It's on the CD.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2014, 01:19:55 PM »

It's not on the DVD.  It's on the CD.

It's definitely on the DVD. On the CD it's from the Paris show, on the DVD it's from one of the extra random shows they threw in. It has Puppies on Acid as the intro.