Author Topic: What song to help a newbie get hooked on DT.  (Read 5827 times)

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: What song to help a newbie get hooked on DT.
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2014, 06:10:19 PM »
Take the time.

Offline James Sucellus

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2014, 06:18:35 PM »
Not sure I want to introduce my favorite band to someone who never heard them before, with lyrics like, "It's time to take the time."

Not sure how those are even bad lyrics, but it's a fun and energetic song with a good hook.

Personally, I got in to DT through SFAM, which I checked out because I was a fan of prog, rock operas, and concept albums.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2014, 06:42:56 PM »
Depends on what instrument they play.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2014, 07:01:24 PM »
Not sure how those are even bad lyrics, but it's a fun and energetic song with a good hook.

Personally, I got in to DT through SFAM, which I checked out because I was a fan of prog, rock operas, and concept albums.

Just the way it's worded, I think, is a little silly. Reminds me of phrases like, "People die if they are killed," or something of the sort.

If you want something fun and energetic from Images and Words, I'd say Under A Glass Moon is a much better candidate. It might not have a terribly catchy hook, but it does have great energy, badass guitar solo, melodic as well as heavy moments, and some beautiful lyrics.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2014, 07:06:12 PM »
You must love Motorhead's Killed By Death TGP ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2014, 07:09:38 PM »
You must love Motorhead's Killed By Death TGP ;D

Well, it's fun. It's silly if you don't take it seriously, which seems something that's likely for Motorhead. Anyone who writes lyrics like, "If you squeeze my lizard, I'll put my snake on you," obviously has a good sense of humor.
But somehow, I don't think that was quite the intention with Take The Time.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2014, 07:31:18 PM »

This could be quite an important thing to consider actually.

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2014, 09:05:38 PM »
My cousin and I have a mutual friend who listens to everything from country and pop music, to Five Finger Death Punch. My cousin played ACoS when they were both working on a school project at his house, which he said he really enjoyed. He went to listen to DT again later, and picked out DT12. He said he absolutely loved it, and that it was "the best compilation of anything musical I have ever heard in my life". Other people I know have enjoyed songs such as Panic Attack, Pull Me Under, and stuff off of Awake.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2014, 10:06:58 PM »

french horn
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2014, 10:08:14 PM »

french horn

Octavarium, of course! They could play along to those end notes and be happy.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Setlist Scotty

As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2014, 08:44:47 AM »
If they're at least into heavy music:

The Root of All Evil
As I Am
Pull Me Under
Home
ITPOE pt. 1

If they're not, it's a tough one. You could show them 'Hollow Years' or something.. but that's not so NOT representative of what this band is about.

Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2014, 09:21:30 AM »
For me the songs that got hooked on DT big time were Instrumedley and Endless Sacrifice.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2014, 05:18:19 PM »
 I tried showing "AS I AM" to a newbiew one time and he said they are just trying to copy Metallica. He closed his mind never gave DT a chance again. So that was a mistake :facepalm:. I have however, won over quite a few friends to the Dream Theater camp. :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2014, 05:22:15 PM »
 I meant to say in my last post,  their new album DT12 is a great representation of what Dream Theater is all about. I got two new people hooked on that album who have never heard DT before. So I would try starting with that one..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2014, 06:05:12 PM »
I tried showing "AS I AM" to a newbiew one time and he said they are just trying to copy Metallica. He closed his mind never gave DT a chance again. So that was a mistake :facepalm:. I have however, won over quite a few friends to the Dream Theater camp. :tup

Does he like Metallica? Because if so, then leave it to a Metallica fan to close his mind.  :lol

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2014, 07:43:33 PM »
The first songs my sister got into were 8VM and SDOIT.

But she's been around me listening to it for years so she's used to it. If they're new, I'd show them PMU, Overture 1928/SDVu, As I Am, Endless Sacrifice, TRoAE, CM, OtBoA, TEI and BtV. Those all seem to cover all their styles without going too extreme if they're only just starting to get into them.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2014, 09:19:34 PM »

Does he like Metallica? Because if so, then leave it to a Metallica fan to close his mind.  :lol

If he was a Metallica fan, he probably would have realized the song is nothing like Metallica, and enjoyed that As I Am is a cool metal song.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2014, 09:21:10 PM »
I've never really seen the Metallica comparison with As I Am. Constant Motion I can see, though.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2014, 09:23:15 PM »
The only heavily Metallica influenced songs I can think of are the back forth vocals in the first verse of TGP and CM. As I AM sounds literally nothing like Metallica to me.

« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2014, 09:23:55 PM »
I've never really seen the Metallica comparison with As I Am. Constant Motion I can see, though.

I can definitely hear the Metallica influence in As I Am, but it's still better than anything I've ever heard from Metallica, and has that DT flavor to it.

Offline Milzinga

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2014, 01:14:19 AM »
Lately I've been recommending my DT newbies to listen to The Enemy Inside. It's heavy, on the shorter side, and quite impressive. It's a very well rounded song that showcases many of the band's talents.

Offline mirko_metal_88

« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2014, 06:25:47 AM »
It depends from what this person is usually listening to....Pull Me Under would be perfect in any case, but maybe Innocence Faded would be good for who love aor/class/classic metal, Status Seeker for who comes from Toto/Kansas/Boston stuff, Panic Attack/Glass Prison for thrashers...8vm for prog rockers and so on...but i'd say that Pull Me Under (or under a glass moon) would be the perfect one

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2014, 06:33:44 AM »
It depends from what this person is usually listening to....Pull Me Under would be perfect in any case, but maybe Innocence Faded would be good for who love aor/class/classic metal, Status Seeker for who comes from Toto/Kansas/Boston stuff, Panic Attack/Glass Prison for thrashers...8vm for prog rockers and so on...but i'd say that Pull Me Under (or under a glass moon) would be the perfect one

I love Toto, and like Boston, and I hear no similarity. I wouldn't show Status Seeker to anyone if I was trying to get them into the band regardless. :lol
Innocence Faded is a perfect choice for AOR fans though. An underrated track that I think could definitely appeal to new fans if they come from that background. And for the metal heads, you can't go wrong with those choices of Panic Attack and The Glass Prison, and I know both have won a fair share of new fans. Good calls there.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 06:38:59 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline mirko_metal_88

« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2014, 06:44:16 AM »
Status Seeker's chorus really reminds me of Toto :D anyway i just wrote some songs that could help a newbie to get comfortable with their style, vocals..as a taste of the band...but obviously these ones aren't their best songs at all :D

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2014, 12:01:00 AM »
You Not Me

:neverusethis:

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2014, 09:25:59 AM »
If it were me, I'd go with PMU, To Live Forever (Greatest Hit version), or Lifting Shadows.  Maybe all three... that's a fine representation of the DT sound I think.

If you think PMU sounds dated (I don't personally, but to each his own), maybe go with TBP...

I will say that if the person you're trying to introduce to DT likes more complicated or intricate/layered instrumental music, maybe you could try Hell's Kitchen or Instrumedley.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2014, 10:22:16 AM »
Yeah, but so what if it does sound dated? If I'm trying to get someone into Rush, I'm gonna show them their 70s classics, not Clockwork Angels.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2014, 02:34:19 PM »
I would totally show someone Clockwork Angels. But honestly I would show them a TON OF DIFFERENT things.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2014, 02:38:59 PM »
I would totally show someone Clockwork Angels. But honestly I would show them a TON OF DIFFERENT things.

Clockwork Angels is a solid album, but I don't see it as an epitome of the Rush signature sound. Maybe their CURRENT signature sound, but when introducing a band to someone, I usually like to show them stuff that while it may be accessible, still shows why the band achieved any kind of success in the first place. With Clockwork Angels, it's a much more nuanced album, and on a first listen, there's very little about it that says, "This is special and deserving of being on your playlist." Whereas, something like Closer To The Heart, or Freewill might. Even if you don't dig Geddy's old school vocals, it's still a part of what made Rush so unique at the time, and the fact that songs like those sound a bit dated is what makes them sound so different from the generic rock people hear these days.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2014, 02:50:34 PM »
Clockwork Angels was the album that got me into Rush, whereas the older albums took way more time to click with me, so CA might be more accessible for us youngsters because of the modern sound.

Offline gentaishinigami

« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2014, 03:49:02 PM »
Songs that people have liked when I've pitched them:

Misunderstood
I Walk Beside You
These Walls
Home (prob the most consistent)
Finally Free
A Nightmare to Remember
Honor Thy Father

If I had to narrow it down I'd say Misunderstood for the more accessible (even though its batshit crazy at times), Home for the more metal oriented, and Honor Thy Father for straight metal.

The Mirror is great during the intro but then the rest of the song happens and people pretty much react like Howard Stern did  :lol

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2014, 10:05:18 PM »
I would personally recommend These Walls, at least w/o the intro.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2014, 10:08:10 PM »
I would personally recommend These Walls, at least w/o the intro.

These Walls is a nice and safe song.

You know, here's the thing about choosing what to play for noobs. Playing something too extreme like Dance of Eternity might scare them away, but then it might also get them hooked, you never know. So personally, I wouldn't expect a newb to get hooked on DT after a song like These Walls, but I can definitely see it being used to ease someone into DT's style more gradually.