Author Topic: Something I just realized. (Happy Holidays from DT appreciation thread)  (Read 932 times)

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Holy CRAP, the Happy Holidays album has an AWESOME mix and sound to it. It's soooo good. Discussion? I can hear the bass, drums are great, keyboard is wonderful, etc.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Isn't that what the Holiday album thread is for?

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Holy CRAP, the Happy Holidays album has an AWESOME mix and sound to it. It's soooo good. Discussion? I can hear the bass, drums are great, keyboard is wonderful, etc.

I would agree for some songs, but not for others. Since they were all recorded at different shows, some of them don't sound that great. Endless Sacrifice, As I Am, Fatal Tragedy are among some of the good ones.
I was sadly disappointed with the mix of TCOT. It felt colder than the album version, and didn't give me the same awesome feeling. Also, when the ambient part starts up, the sparkly sound effect (whatever it is) is way too loud, and takes away from the actual music. Plus, James's vocals sound a little too distant and quiet in the mix. So yeah, not every song on the release is perfect, but some of them definitely are.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Madman Shepherd

Probably should post this in the other thread.  There is some great discussion.  To be honest, I'm surprised this wasn't a lot more discussed.  Live at Luna Park was beat to death.  This only got a couple pages of discussion.  This is one of the most badass gifts given to fans of any band and it didn't get the attention it deserved IMO

Offline Sycsa

I think this could be due to not many people paying attention to the stickied threads. For me, the holiday release washed out the sour taste that LP left in my mouth (better mix, better drum sound) and I listened to it way more than to LP, which -except for the drum solo and 6:00- I only listened to once. Peruvian Skies is my favorite one here.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
You have to keep in mind that Luna Park is a video release, meaning there's a lot more to discuss than just the music and sound aspect of it.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Isn't that what the Holiday album thread is for?

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.