Author Topic: The Official Sigh Thread  (Read 2751 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
The Official Sigh Thread
« on: April 19, 2014, 08:37:43 PM »
I've been listening to a lot of Sigh lately, and I was shocked to see that there is no thread for them, 'cause I thought they'd be pretty popular round these parts. That has now been rectified. :hat

For those that don't know, Sigh started out as a black metal band, but nowadays they are nearly impossible to describe, with each album being different - you have the black metal psychedelia of Imaginary Soniscape, the completely clean-vocal album Gallows Gallery, the thrash-meets-symphony-meets-black-metal onslaught of Hangman's Hymn... basically, if you don't bands experimenting and harsh vocals, at least one of their albums is probably something you'd enjoy.

So yeah! Any other Sigh fans around here?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
Re: The Official Sigh Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 09:00:12 PM »
I only have two of their albums at the moment: Gallows Gallery and Imaginary Sonicscape.

Imaginary Sonicscape is absolutely batshit insane. I really like it but it's hard to listen to a lot because it's so... insane. It makes me want to get more of their music though.

I'm not as enthralled by Gallows Gallery, mostly because the music isn't as out there and the vocals are absolutely awful. Just terrible really. If the music stood out a bit more, I might be able to overlook the vocals, but as it is, I just never want to listen to it.

I definitely need to listen to more of their music though.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 09:05:14 PM »
I recently got into the most recent one, In Somniphobia and it's amazing. Give that one a try if you want, it's like Imaginary Soniscape, though a little less insane, so it should be perfect for you.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 09:02:23 AM »
Been on a Sigh binge lately, and man, they are probably my favourite extreme metal band. Their newest is pretty damn superb, though not as good as Imaginary Soniscape and In Somniphobia, the latter which is one of my Top 5 album of all time, and Hangman's Hymn has been growing on me a lot as well. The only one that I'm not all that sold on (of those that I have) is Scenes from Hell.

1. In Somniphobia
2. Imaginary Soniscape
3. Graveward
4. Hangman's Hymn
5. Scenes from Hell

Also, since nobody posted here about Graveward on its release, what do you guys think of it? As I already said, I like it, but it took a while to grow on me, which is in part because the production, but with repeated listens I enjoyed the album more and more. My favourites for now are probably "The Forlorn", "The Molesters of My Soul" and "A Messenger from Tomorrow".

If you haven't heard the album yet, check it out!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 11:41:12 AM »
So I was pretty skeptical towards Heir to Despair initially, but it's grown on me a ton and I love it. If it keeps this up, it might end up as my AotY, seriously. The mix of traditional Japanese elements, weird stuff, straight forward metal and... well, everything else, is just so perfect. The more I listen to it, the more it sticks in my head, despite my initial impression being that it's kinda bland and not very memorable. I'm very happy to have been wrong. :metal

Not expecting this to get much traction, given this thread's history, but oh well. It had to be said.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 11:57:47 AM »
I listened to the new album and didn't like it much at all but I ordered In Somniphobia the other week so hey that's like a partial win for you I think

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 12:06:43 PM »
Dude.

I'm standing with you  :metal

I've been aware of Sigh for years but never actually listened to them. The only person I thought who liked them was Parama, as I saw him post about Imaginary Sonicscape quite often (and playing tracks in plug.dj).

I'm so grateful to the 'Weekly album thread' as it made me actually give this band a go. Although I thought In Somniphobia was interesting and worth more listens, it didn't stick with me. It was totally a case of the 'right time' for me to discover these guys, what with the new album dropping. I went in with an open mind and Heir to Despair has just hit a chord with me. I like it more than In Somniphobia, for sure, and it is looking to creep into my top 10 of the year.

I look forward to actually giving Imaginary Sonicscape a listen in the next few days.

You know when you just have a good feeling about a band and you discover them at the right time? It's like your brain is geared to dig it and then it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Long story short, thanks for giving me the kick up the ass to get here Scorp  :metal

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 12:13:39 PM »
I listened to the new album and didn't like it much at all but I ordered In Somniphobia the other week so hey that's like a partial win for you I think

Yeah, that's a win in my book. In Somniphobia is the best them anyway. :2metal:

Dude.

I'm standing with you  :metal

I've been aware of Sigh for years but never actually listened to them. The only person I thought who liked them was Parama, as I saw him post about Imaginary Sonicscape quite often (and playing tracks in plug.dj).

I'm so grateful to the 'Weekly album thread' as it made me actually give this band a go. Although I thought In Somniphobia was interesting and worth more listens, it didn't stick with me. It was totally a case of the 'right time' for me to discover these guys, what with the new album dropping. I went in with an open mind and Heir to Despair has just hit a chord with me. I like it more than In Somniphobia, for sure, and it is looking to creep into my top 10 of the year.

I look forward to actually giving Imaginary Sonicscape a listen in the next few days.

You know when you just have a good feeling about a band and you discover them at the right time? It's like your brain is geared to dig it and then it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Long story short, thanks for giving me the kick up the ass to get here Scorp  :metal

Glad I could get somebody into Sigh with that album! The thing with Sigh is that their sounds changes so much from album to album that basically anyone who doesn't hate black metal vox will find something to enjoy in their discog. I think you'll dig Imaginary Soniscape actually, it's similarly psychedelic to Heir to Despair, without the Japanese folk influences though. Still a banger of an album.

For something completely different, yet just as good, check out Hangman's Hymn. Probably more straightforward and more metal than Heir to Despair, but some of the best uses of symphonic elements in metal that I know of. Black metal + classical music is such a great combination when done right.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 12:16:09 PM »
I uhh, don't think I post about Imaginary Soniscape often  :lol
Before last week I hadn't even listened to it since 2016, it's a solid album but not amazing or anything
I probably play Voices a lot though it's the best song off the album tbh

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 12:18:34 PM »
I uhh, don't think I post about Imaginary Soniscape often  :lol
Before last week I hadn't even listened to it since 2016, it's a solid album but not amazing or anything

Well you either posted about it once and it stuck in my head (the album art) or you played it in a few plug.dj sessions. Either way, I link you and that album, in my head  :lol

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 12:20:45 PM »

Corpsecry - Angelfall and Ecstatic Transformation would like a word with you  :millahhhh

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 01:40:45 PM »
Literally don't even remember what the second one sounds like

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2018, 01:48:28 PM »
I suppose I best go listen to it  :lol

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2018, 02:17:45 PM »

Corpsecry - Angelfall and Ecstatic Transformation would like a word with you  :millahhhh

Just finished the Ulver album I was listening to and starting Imaginary Sonicscape now. Voices isn't on the Spotify version though  :facepalm:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2018, 02:20:48 PM »
Never heard a single song from these guys.  What's the one song I should check out?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2018, 03:52:59 PM »
Never heard a single song from these guys.  What's the one song I should check out?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P_CG5fUE3po

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2018, 03:55:17 PM »

Will check this out tonight after work.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2018, 05:47:52 PM »
Sigh?  The Gangnam Style guy?  Doesn't surprise me there's not a lot of activity about him here. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2018, 02:08:55 PM »

Not bad, very interesting.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2018, 02:17:44 PM »
Sigh?  The Gangnam Style guy?  Doesn't surprise me there's not a lot of activity about him here.

Careful now. Otherwise you're getting some Sigh in your roulette, and I'm like 95% certain you won't like 'em. :P

I fell that even if you don't like Sigh, you can't deny that they make interesting music.

That said, I think Hangman's Hymn and In Somniphobia might be a little more up your alley than that particular album. Maybe Graveward as well. Imaginary Soniscape is probably their most psychedelic, at least out of those that I have - which I think isn't something that you like all that much (though I might be wrong on that front).

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2018, 05:08:39 PM »

Careful now. Otherwise you're getting some Sigh in your roulette, and I'm like 95% certain you won't like 'em. :P

I fell that even if you don't like Sigh, you can't deny that they make interesting music.

That said, I think Hangman's Hymn and In Somniphobia might be a little more up your alley than that particular album. Maybe Graveward as well. Imaginary Soniscape is probably their most psychedelic, at least out of those that I have - which I think isn't something that you like all that much (though I might be wrong on that front).

You're right.  Psychedelic doesn't really sound like something that would interest me, but I'll check out these other albums I think.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2018, 02:21:24 PM »
Heresey I: Oblivium is a perfect example of why I love this album (and band). You have this avant-garde black/progressive metal band and they release a track that is basically trip-hop for half of it, then has some metal riffs and finishes off with some orchestral elements!

This is what I look for more and more in music (and why I ended up listening to progressive music), I don't need to hear straight forward metal when discovering new bands. If I want to hear that metal sound/song structure/instrumentation then I have countless bands that scratch that itch. I want to hear something that defies genres and splices multiple ones into one song. It makes it interesting and surprises me. The last thing I want nowadays is predictable music (well, actually every now and then predictable straight up metal still hits that sweet spot, but it occurs less and less).

But yea, Sigh are doing it for me right now  :metal

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2018, 06:46:41 PM »
Man, I haven't listened to Sigh in over 15 years.  I did buy Hangman's Hymn and Gallows Gallery on a whim and remember liking one and not the other but didn't go back and listen.  This last year I've been getting back into that music (stopped listening to underground and concentrated more on classic rock) and had almost forgotten about Sigh so thanks for the reminder.  Going to take the dog on a long walk and reacquaint myself with these crazy Japanese guys. 

Always considered Hail Horror Hail and Scorn Defeat my personal favorite. 

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2018, 02:10:27 AM »
I haven't checked out Scorn Defeat yet. I've read that it's their least experimental, just standard black metal so I haven't really felt compelled to. Would you agree with that assertion?

Hail Horror Hail is pretty great, but it's never fully clicked with me. Don't exactly know why - I like it well enough, but I never really feel like coming back to it over their later stuff. I'll have to give it a listen again.

Tentative rankings because that's how we do things here:

1. In Somniphobia
2. Imaginary Soniscape
3. Heir to Despair
4. Hangman's Hymn
5. Graveward
6. Scenes from Hell
7. Hail Horror Hail
8. Gallows Gallery

Despite my initial lukewarm reaction, I've really fallen in love with their newest. Such a great album. I love the incorporation of Japanese folk elements, it works really well with their demented black metal style.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2018, 06:35:15 AM »
Yeah, scorn defeat is pretty much black metal. Even so, it has a few elements that were surprising such as some creepy piano added in certain parts that made it stand out.  I dig that stuff though.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2018, 08:08:36 PM »
Holy crap. Just got Graveward.  I think it's a freakin' masterpiece.  My new favorite Sigh album.  Got Heir to Despair and In Somniphobia coming in the mail soon so I can't wait to check those out.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2018, 10:12:43 AM »
I still can't get enough of Heir to Despair! I also ended up downloading the remastered version of Imaginary Sonicscape as well and it's also great. I'm going to download In Somniphobia then properly digest these three albums before diving into the rest of their back catalogue. What a band!

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2022, 01:52:16 PM »
New single just dropped...

https://youtu.be/CKeSng_DDhg

I didn't even realise it but they've got a new album out August 26th. Not sure about the first half of this song, and those vocals, but no denying the last minute and a half slays  :metal

This is what the band had to say about it...

So our new album ‘Shiki’ will be released on 26th August on Peaceville.
https://sighpeaceville.lnk.to/Shiki

Immerse yourself in Sigh’s new world through the first single “Mayonaka No Kaii” and the accompanying illustrated video from animator extraordinaire Costin Chioreanu.

‘Shiki’, an opus of dark & eclectic blackened heavy metal, shrouded in traditional eastern influences, marks the latest chapter in the Sigh legacy and includes some of the band’s heaviest and darkest material for some years; a fine hybrid of at times primitive black metal akin to early influences such as Celtic Frost amid more epic melodic heavy metal riffing and solos. It will take you on a journey through the strange and the psychedelic, incorporating a whole eclectic mix of genre styles & experimentation throughout their career. Highlighting that Sigh has remained a vital creative force in the avantgarde field whilst maintaining their old school roots.

“The song is kind of a culmination of what Sigh have been up to. Whistle scream, throat singing, Uriah Heep like vocal harmonies, vocoder, flute solo, shakuhachi solo, Hammond solo and the great guitar solo by Fred - it's got everything! Although it's only 5-minute long, it's a very dramatic song with many aspects. The title stands for ‘a strange incident at midnight’, and it's based on actual weird experience I had .. Long story short, I experienced midnight twice in one night! You can read the details at the end of the video. We have been working with Costin for a long time, so we were 100% sure that he'd be the best guy to visualize my eerie experience, and how did it turn out? You all see for yourselves!” Mirai Kawashima.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 03:23:27 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2022, 09:59:49 AM »
Thanks for bumping this thread. I totally forgot about it and was psyched to listen to Graveward again since I barely remember saying it was my favorite and haven't listened to it since then. I have a severe case of music ADD and have been compulsively buying albums, listening to most of them once, and forgetting about them.

Upon my relisten I wasn't quite sure what I was thinking by saying Graveward was my favorite. I guess I was just in the mood for something REALLY different at the time. Wasn't really as into it this time.

I gave Heir to Despair a listen and holy crap, THAT was good.

Did you ever listen to Scorn Defeat?

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2022, 10:48:35 AM »
Thanks for bumping this thread. I totally forgot about it and was psyched to listen to Graveward again since I barely remember saying it was my favorite and haven't listened to it since then. I have a severe case of music ADD and have been compulsively buying albums, listening to most of them once, and forgetting about them.

Upon my relisten I wasn't quite sure what I was thinking by saying Graveward was my favorite. I guess I was just in the mood for something REALLY different at the time. Wasn't really as into it this time.

I gave Heir to Despair a listen and holy crap, THAT was good.

Did you ever listen to Scorn Defeat?

Nice, glad the thread got you back onto this really unique band.

You're right about Heir to Despair. I'd only heard bits by them before listening to that album. It's such a great album, really different.

I haven't listened to Scorn Defeat, the furthest back in their catalogue I'd gone was Infidel Art. I've queued up Scorn Defeat and Eastern Darkness though, so I'll report back after.

What did you think of the new single? I'm really looking forward to the new album.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2022, 11:53:13 AM »
I really dug it.

Now imagine if you will, that I'm into underground black metal so I really dig Scorn Defeat. Underground stuff is hard to find so I have to order a lot of stuff directly from the labels. Imaginary Sonicscape was the second Sigh album I got. They still had harsh vocals but really crazy synth stuff, reggae beats, and a pop feel. I was open minded so I didn't mind but I didn't know what to think but I kinda dug it.

Then I read an interview where the song Scarlet Dream was inspired by Michael Jackson who is one of my favorite artists of all time from the time I was a child until even today and then I was totally on board.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2022, 12:26:19 PM »
I'll be honest, I'm generally not into underground old school black metal. I can listen to it with bands like this, to hear those flashes of what is to come, and where their progressive elements start to come out. I love Enslaved and like to do the same with their early albums.

I listened to Eastern Darkness last night and it was alright, but I doubt I'd revist often. I'll be listening through Infidel Art and Scorn Defeat later on this evening. I expect I'll feel kind of the same though.

It's great when you get into bands that push the boundaries of their genre, it makes for such interesting listening and inadvertently broadens your tastes.

I'm really digging the new single too. It's different to Heir to Despair, and that's fine by me if it sounds this good.