Author Topic: Illumination Theory may just be my favorite DT song  (Read 1689 times)

Offline Milzinga

• DTF.org Alumni
Illumination Theory may just be my favorite DT song
« on: April 17, 2014, 11:59:15 PM »
After listening to to on the album many many times and seeing it live 3 times, I think it may be my favorite DT song. It's amazing, and Labrie's range, especially live, is outstanding. I was nearly in tears seeing it at the Boston show with the live Orchestra.

Offline adastra

Re: Illumination Theory may just be my favorite DT song
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 12:10:47 AM »
Great to hear that you like it  :laugh:   I love those solos before the ambient spot.. And the orchestral spot of course!

but apart from those two, I don't like the song. I'll give some reasons here;

1. The vocal lines in the second verse seems a bit forced
2. The chorus doesn't feel like actual chorus .. haha :D I don't know how to say that correctly.. But yeah, It doesn't feel like chorus. I guess it is because it isn't really catchy or melodic or anything.. at least not for me :P
3. IMO the song has this overall feeling of random bits stiched together.

Maybe it will grow on me some day ! :)  But I guess it won't happen in near future, cos I haven't really enjoyed listening DT12 that much.
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 12:37:43 AM »
I love it, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't make my top 10 :metal

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 02:33:10 AM »
It's my #4. Behind SDOIT (song), Breaking All Illusions and Misunderstood. :) Great song. No wasted note, everything is purposive when it comes to the song's narrative, very poetic, and the music tells as much of the story as the lyrics.  :metal

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 04:13:15 AM »
It's one of my favorites! Love to play it and to listen to it. And I agree, it's a whole other story seeing it live.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 04:17:17 AM »
I haven't properly thought about ranking it but it's right up there. And it got there fairly quickly.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 06:51:36 AM »
I haven't properly thought about ranking it but it's right up there. And it got there fairly quickly.

I'd agree with this...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 08:17:42 AM »
INB4 someone bitches about the middle section....

Anyway, I can't call it my favorite DT song, but it's my favorite from the self-titled record, and quite possibly a top 20 tune for me now. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 08:46:26 AM »
Listening to the middle section now, but I'm way too sleepy to bitch about it.  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 09:00:28 AM »
It was an unexpected journey on first listen. It quickly became my favorite from DT12 and settled nicely somewhere into my top 10. :metal
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 09:10:57 AM by ThatOneGuy2112 »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 11:51:03 AM »
It was my fav track for a while, but I still love it enough to put it on my top 10.

Offline haceeb

• When you surrender to the light, You can face the darkest days
  • I am bent, not broken
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 07:15:30 PM »
After listening to to on the album many many times and seeing it live 3 times, I think it may be my favorite DT song. It's amazing, and Labrie's range, especially live, is outstanding. I was nearly in tears seeing it at the Boston show with the live Orchestra.
:tup I second you....It's my favorite Dream Theater track too and it beat my all favorites...SHIT

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 05:19:49 AM »
I can't say at this moment that it's my favorite, but it is definitely rocketing up the charts.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 08:46:20 AM »
I can't say at this moment that it's my favorite, but it is definitely rocketing up the charts.

I'd already put it in my top 10.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 09:24:06 AM »

I'd already put it in my top 10.
Yeah, me too.  :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2014, 09:41:06 AM »
There's a lot of different kinds of favourite. Octavarium's the best. When the wind's right, and it catches me off guard, I still sometimes hear Octavarium as new, and it's absolutely brilliant, but I wore it out so much ten years ago that it doesn't often taste quite the same. It's become like overchewed gum. Entirely my fault, not at all the composers', but how would that factor into a ranking? The song's the same, it's me that's changed - but should the best songs be endlessly replayable? Likewise, there are other songs that I don't think are particularly excellent, but I could listen to over and over again. Supermassive Black Hole is like that, it's not exceptional but it's a perfectly formed little pop song. I could have SMBH running on loop - and some days, in my head, I do.

So with that proviso, and the understanding that Octavarium's always my favourite favourite for legacy reasons, Illumination Theory is - currently, today, to me - the maddest, most bold and brilliant thing in Dream Theater's discography. Utterly phenomenal.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2014, 10:23:04 AM »
Music is weird that way.  I was listening to Octavarium recently a bit because of the 8vm vs. Six Degrees thread, and that magic was really there.  And then it left again.  But it was a wonderful fleeting moment.

Unfortunately, I have to wonder if I did the same thing with IT.  It's like a drug, you need more and more and more and more, and then it stops working.  And you're like, oh fuck.  I ruined it.

So now I'm listening to The Scientist by Coldplay.  I have no idea what that means.  Although I do genuinely think it's a great song.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Milzinga

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2014, 10:36:56 AM »
Music is weird that way.  I was listening to Octavarium recently a bit because of the 8vm vs. Six Degrees thread, and that magic was really there.  And then it left again.  But it was a wonderful fleeting moment.

Unfortunately, I have to wonder if I did the same thing with IT.  It's like a drug, you need more and more and more and more, and then it stops working.  And you're like, oh fuck.  I ruined it.

So now I'm listening to The Scientist by Coldplay.  I have no idea what that means.  Although I do genuinely think it's a great song.

Probably my favorite Coldplay song. I'm not a huge fan of Coldplay, but I love that song.

Offline James Sucellus

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2014, 11:19:31 PM »
It's terrific, but from the Dream Theater album, I think I prefer The Bigger Picture, which will hopefully become an established classic in the future. Both are superb songs, and elevate the album.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2014, 12:13:13 AM »
Amazing song. I love the string section and the guitar soli blows me away.

;)  ;)  ;)  ;)

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2014, 03:13:48 PM »
It's terrific, but from the Dream Theater album, I think I prefer The Bigger Picture, which will hopefully become an established classic in the future. Both are superb songs, and elevate the album.

Agreed, The Bigger picture and Illumination Theory are my two fav tracks. I was surprised The Bigger Picture was absent on the current tour. Illumination Theory was spectacular live though, maybe the most AWESOME thing I have ever seen!!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2014, 05:04:41 PM »
INB4 someone bitches about the middle section....

Well, ever since I got a version with the middle section cut out I actually listen to the song every now and then.  :lol

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2014, 05:44:25 PM »
I love the song. IT must be on my Top 10 or Top 15 at least, and it's on my Top 3 epics for sure.