Author Topic: Crimson's Top 50 v. #1 ..... And then there was one...  (Read 29547 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Crimson's Top 50 v. getting down and Dirty....
« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2014, 07:35:28 PM »
I love the AIC album.  Like Mason said it was downright heavy rock which I loved. I also loved the reverse role in the harmonies.

I was never a Guns fan though there are a few song that are just plain killer.  Funny for a guy that loves Kiss, I never got into Gun's even with Slash's fondness of Ace Frehley's style.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Crimson's Top 50 v. getting down and Dirty....
« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2014, 10:51:59 PM »
Like Lowdz, "Would" and "Down in a Hole" are standout tracks for me from AIC.  Not enough to get me interested in the band, but they are good tracks.  I would pick AIC over the other bands of that era for sure butt the music is too depressing and too much about drug shit for me.

AFD is an absolute killer disc, one of the defining albums of the 80s!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Crimson's Top 50 v. Where's my damn Bic lighter!!!!
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2014, 06:23:45 PM »

#21     Lynyrd Skynyrd (Pronounced 'Lĕh-'nérd 'Skin-'nérd)

August 13, 1973 

Let me break out my bic lighter.... FREEBIRD!!!!  What a song...and what an album.  I remember being like 12 and making my poor old Nana listen to Freebird  Over...and Over... then singing it to her...LOL.  Thank god she was a trooper.  Great album.  I just Love Simple Man and Freebird, those 2 songs alone put this album where it's at on my list.  Gimme Three Steps cements it there.  I'll never forget the night watching the news when they came on and announced the plane crash... it was devastating.  Ronnie Van Zant's voice was so good, so distinct.  He was a big part of what made Skynyrd the kings of "Southern Rock".

#20    Live - Secret Samadhi

February 18, 1997

This is the only album I've owned from Live, but it's a really good one for sure!  I just love the overall vibe and sound on the album.  A lot of the Alternative rock bands appealed to me, which even to this day is kinda a head scratcher to me, seeing I'm a Hard Rock/Metal dude..  Maybe it's the bizzare frikken lyrics that captivated me, but no matter what IT was ...I enjoy it very much.  I still to this day haven't heard the album "Throwing Copper"  which was their breakout album.  And quite honestly...I can't even remember how I was turned onto this album...LOL.  Regardless of the how's when's and why's...It rocks.

Lyric sample....  comprehension of these is way beyond my simple ass...LOL, or..they just don't mean shit.  I'm betting on me being dense though.

"Gas Hed Goes West"

it's the memory that dies
our gas hed was right
when they lanced his skill
there was puss and light

Fav Tracks...

Rattlesnake
Lakini's Juice
Gas Hed Goes West
Ghost

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Crimson's Top 50 v. Where the hells my Bic lighter!!....
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2014, 06:47:05 PM »
CS, I was on vacation last week, and missed this thread. A quick glance and tons of great albums. Love seeing the fellow Fogies' lists.

Never did get into AIC. I had Facelift, and saw them twice in 1991, but I thought it sounded like 2nd rate Armored Saint. I know they carved out a pretty good name for themselves, but I never really followed up with them.

Last In Line :metal :metal

I have three Styx albums, and I feel they are all excellent, and Pieces Of Eight is one of them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2014, 07:43:29 PM »
Once in a while I give Secret Samadhi another try, thinking it has to be really good since Throwing Copper was amazing.  There's a couple good ones on it but overall I just don't connect with it.  If I were you I would definitely give Throwing Copper a try.  It's intense from start to finish, I think it blows this one out of the water.

For LS, I too love about half that album.  Freebird is awesome as long as you don't hear it every day.  When that solo gets going, you know you're in for some of the best minutes in all of rock history.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2014, 07:49:05 PM »
Once in a while I give Secret Samadhi another try, thinking it has to be really good since Throwing Copper was amazing.  There's a couple good ones on it but overall I just don't connect with it.  If I were you I would definitely give Throwing Copper a try.  It's intense from start to finish, I think it blows this one out of the water.

For LS, I too love about half that album.  Freebird is awesome as long as you don't hear it every day.  When that solo gets going, you know you're in for some of the best minutes in all of rock history.

I'll give Throwing Copper a whirl!  Yeah, Freebird...major burnout by '80, but now?  If I hear it I'm all over it!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2014, 07:51:10 PM »
I prefer Throwing Copper as well.  It is less out there, lyrically.  I might even venture to say Mental Jewelry is probably on par with Secret Samadhi, though different.  At least that would be my opinion 16 years ago.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Crimson's Top 50 v. Classical shred!!
« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2014, 10:10:17 AM »

#19     Soundgarden -  Badmotorfinger

October 8, 1991

The Grass is always greener..
Where the dog's are shitting....

That verse to me.... kinda sums up grunge in general.  The truths in life aren't always sugar coated...LOL.    Man... when I first bought this album I just couldn't stop playing it.  The power chords and pounding vocals...WOW!  Of course...it's another gem of '91, the year that just keeps giving!  It wasn't as commercially successful as the bands next 2 albums, but this was the breakout.  This one really put them on the map.  It really took a huge jump in writing and recording maturity compared to their first 2 albums.  Not quite the difference of say, WDADU and I&W...but still a big jump.  Chris Cornell just shines on this record with songs like Jesus Christ Pose and  Rusty Cage. Talk about belting out vocals!

Fav tracks

Rusty Cage
Outshined
Slaves and Bulldozers
Jesus Christ Pose
Room a Thousand Years Wide

#18      Ynwie Malmsteen -  Rising Force

March 5, 1984

I remember the first time my friend mentioned his name... I was like..."Who ..What?   Then he played "Black Star" for me and that was it, I was hooked.  Then it went straight into "Far Beyond the Sun" .  To this day I don't think I've ever heard the guitar played that way,  that fast yet so complex in the world of Rock.  Blending metal with classical at that time was pretty new, and so fucking cool!  I couldn't get enough of it!  I saw him on the trilogy tour in '87 I believe, and was just in awe to see yes... he could do it live too!  On the flip side...one of the negatives, maybe the biggest one, I took away from that show was the fact that Yngwie couldn't seem to slow down....LOL.  I mean... it was like blazing fast or not playing.   Even when he actually is playing slow it seems like he's pained to be doing so.  No 2nd and 3rd gear so to speak.  If he could have tempered that aspect of his playing, and showed more versatility...he could have been one of the best, if not the best ever I think.  Some folks may not agree with that assesment, which is cool, but I think he would have.  And like a lot of the greats, Including his role model Ritchie Blackmore, his ego was very annoying and at the end of the day self defeating.

Fav tracks

Black Star
Far Beyond the Sun
Icarus' Dream Suite Op. 4  (one of the rare songs he actually slows down in sections...LOL)
Evil Eye

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2014, 10:14:08 AM »
Rising Force  :tup      He did a decent enough job for me of incorporating some nice melody into the wankery on all the albums up to and including Eclipse but after that he gradually lost me -  there's some decent stuff on the next few but you could see where things were going.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2014, 10:16:49 AM »
Rising Force  :tup      He did a decent enough job for me of incorporating some nice melody into the wankery on all the albums up to and including Eclipse but after that he gradually lost me -  there's some decent stuff on the next few but you could see where things were going.

EXACTLY!  and it's kinda sad...his talent level is undeniable, just too ..... narrowed? 

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2014, 01:25:19 PM »
Rising Force is a great pick!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2014, 04:04:06 PM »
Incredible to see Secret Samhadi here.  I though I'd be the only one to have it in a top 50 list.  It is indeed amazing, well done.

That Soundgarden is absolutely classic too and thumbs up for Rising Force.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2014, 04:08:03 PM »
That Live album is killer. I saw them on that tour and if Ed told me to jump off a building that night I would have done it.  He is so charismatic and that comes through on their albums as well.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 04:18:34 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2014, 04:14:45 PM »
Yeah, he's an amazing frontman.  A shame they band parted ways, but his solo stuff is pretty solid.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2014, 04:22:03 PM »
I know!  I hope they get back together.  BTW, have you heard The Gracious Few wolf?!  It's the 3 remaining guys from Live with an extra guitarist and the lead singer from Candlebox.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=The+Gracious+Few+Honest+Man+video&qs=n&form=QBVR&pq=the+gracious+few+honest+man+video&sc=0-0&sp=-1&sk=#view=detail&mid=2ABC4C27AAFA6B4B44FE2ABC4C27AAFA6B4B44FE

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2014, 04:38:41 PM »
Holy shit, King! That song kicks ass.  :metal
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2014, 04:39:50 PM »
It's a good, no nonsense rock album and if you like that song, the album is for you sir!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2014, 04:42:00 PM »
Rising Force! :metal

Still have the floppy 45 of Black Star attached to a Kerrangg!!

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: May 01, 2014, 04:45:37 PM »
Went through 2 cassettes of Rising Force as well as the album. :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #89 on: May 01, 2014, 05:02:50 PM »
Far Beyond The Sun is one of my all time favorite instrumentals.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #90 on: May 01, 2014, 11:15:40 PM »
Rising Force is great, and Evil Eye is the best them.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2014, 06:21:01 AM »
I know!  I hope they get back together.  BTW, have you heard The Gracious Few wolf?!  It's the 3 remaining guys from Live with an extra guitarist and the lead singer from Candlebox.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=The+Gracious+Few+Honest+Man+video&qs=n&form=QBVR&pq=the+gracious+few+honest+man+video&sc=0-0&sp=-1&sk=#view=detail&mid=2ABC4C27AAFA6B4B44FE2ABC4C27AAFA6B4B44FE

Yeah, they are on my list of bands to check out.  I've song a song or two and they are killer.  Really gotta check them out.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Crimson's Top 50 v. Thrash to the Core....
« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2014, 04:05:05 PM »

#17     Stone Temple Pilots - Core

September 29, 1992

I lived down in Loreto, Southern Baja, Mexico for 3 years in the early 90's.  I would drive down from SoCal when I'd get of my ship (work).  It was a 17 hour drive through the mexican desert.  I remember playing this album, along with Dirt by AiC's A LOT during that drive.  Core is just such a good album.  I know a lot of critics razz on STP, calling them wanna be grunge, wanna be Seattle scene, blah..blah..blah.  I think that's absolute horse shit.  STP, and especially Core, stand in a class by themselves.  Starting with a bang... "Dead and Bloated" just kicks you in the nuts.  I love Scott's vocals and the bands overall sound.  On the flip side, as the band got older Scott's cries for attention got really boring. He kinda struck me as suffering from "ARAS"........... "Axl Rose Asshole Syndrome"  I get the addiction problems, being a recovering addict myself, he just kinda came across as super needy to me.

Fav tracks...

Dead and Bloated
Wicked Garden
Creep
Plush

#16     Metallica - Master of Puppets

February 24, 1986

This was the first Metallica album I was exposed to.  It had just came out when a buddy turned me onto the title track.  Holy shit it just floored me.  Having just cleaned up off of coke, how could I not identify with it?  Add to that the just plain excellence and uniqueness of the band.  At the time I hadn't really heard any thrash, but then again it really was just kicking off.  I loved the intensity, drive and musicianship from the band.  Also, on that title track, I just loved the song structure.  The there was Sanitarium...WHOA!  Bad ass with a capital BAD ASS!  This album opened up the door to a whole genre for me. Shortly after I was listening to other thrash masters like Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth, Death Angel and a christian band called Deliverance.

Fav tracks..

MoP
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Battery
Leper Messiah
Damage Inc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2014, 04:41:34 PM »
Can't go wrong with MOP! :metal

Might have to check out Deliverance.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: May 02, 2014, 05:13:51 PM »
Can't go wrong with MOP! :metal

Might have to check out Deliverance.

I actually listened to quite a bit of awesome christian metal back in the late 80's. 

Check it out....... :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpNgmIfakk0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCUNKgfG8TQ

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2014, 05:26:07 PM »
I just discovered classic Sacred Warrior a few months ago. Holy Mother of Geoff Tate! Their new album is very good.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2014, 05:47:00 PM »
LOVED Sacred Warrior, Saint, Barren Cross, Bloodgood...lots of great bands!

I haven't listened to any christian metal in years, but back in the 80's I sure did... 

Sacred Warrior - I wore the Rebellion disc out.... :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkKfdb5cS98

Bloodgood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdLOaO-kmvQ

Barren Cross - Ummm..this could be right off of Powerslave... :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LLyVpyQmc0
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 06:36:59 PM by CrimsonSunrise »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2014, 06:44:41 PM »
I also bought a couple Barren Cross albums at the same time as the Sacred Warrior discog. Tried Bloodgood, but haven't followed up.

Check out Golden Resurrection.
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=40804.msg1769637#msg1769637

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2014, 07:22:12 PM »
wow, great pair.  Core is on my upcoming list...  I didn't think anyone else would list it.  While I like some individual songs from their later albums better, this album is their most consistent.  Although to be honest I don't like Creep.  STP has a ton of talent, more so than most bands.

And nothing more can be said about MOP.  it's a Master of piece. :P

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: May 02, 2014, 08:04:47 PM »
Here's one I forgot ... Vengeance  serious slayer-esque christian thrash..  Wow..that Golden Resurrection "See my Command"... that guitar player loved him some Yngwie :lol  They sound pretty good!  Never heard of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45wFXlpkyu4

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: May 02, 2014, 11:17:26 PM »
I never really connected with STP but Master of Puppets is Top 100 for me (perhaps not top 50.......we'll see) and by far my favourite Metallica album.

I have Deliverance's Weapons of Our Warfare and think it's bloody awful  ;D  Barren Cross ..........much of their stuff is about 20% killer, 80% filler but I do like a number of songs.  Half the time he does a better Bruce than Bruce  :laugh:
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #101 on: May 03, 2014, 03:25:03 AM »
 :tup for Rising Force.
I first heard of Yngwie through an American magazine (Guitar For The Practicing Musician) and knew I had to check him out. I loved Blackmore so Yngwie was a no brainer. First album I heard was Alcatrazz  and he ruled from then on... until Alchemy basically. It was downhill from then on. I'm reading the As Above So Below bio at the moment and what an almighty tool he is - not all those people saying the same things can be wrong. Add vast amounts of cocaine to that ego and there's no hope. He should be locked up. Wife battering arse that he is.

I think 2 of his albums made my top 50 (The concerto suite and Odyssey) but no complaints with this one. I always hated the drums though.
And anyone who says he has no feeling in his playing should listen to Icarus Dream, and the outro solo on Alcatrazz's Suffer Me.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Crimson's Top 50 v. For the Love of Stephen King...
« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2014, 08:50:47 AM »
#15     Anthrax -  Among the Living

March 22, 1987

I'm the type of person who really enjoys lyrics/songs about something cool.  So... being a huge Stephen King fan back in the 80's how could I not connect with this album?  The title track is based on his best novel, IMHO, The Stand, which was made into an absolutley horrible mini-series :( .    The second King song is "A Skeleton in the Closet", which is based on the short story "Apt Pupil", which was also made into a movie.   "I am the Law" is based on the Judge Dredd comics.  Remember...back in the day not many peeps knew about Dredd, no movies had been made yet and was really only known to hardcore fans.  Last but not least, Efilnikufesin (N.F.L.) (read it backwards)  is based on the life of John Belushi.  Rounding the album out is "Indians" which is about....you guessed it!  Honestly, and I know I've said it a few times, but there isn't a bad track on this album.  It's so strong, and sounds excellent.  While I like Spreading the Disease, this album for me is the only stellar one by the band.

Fav tracks...

ALL OF THEM!!!!!!

#14     Mother Love Bone

September 22, 1992

When Pearl Jam and Temple of the Dog came out I heard of the late Andrew Wood.  After some time I thought...I should really listen to this guy that these 2 bands that I love so much cared about.  I'm sure glad I did.  Woods voice to me is just incredible.  Add to that the playing of Gossard and Ament and you've got gold.  If you've never heard MLB, think of a cross between Pearl Jam Ten and Appetite for Destruction.  It's such a great sounding, well mixed and creative album.  I honestly can't believe it never received more acclaim than it did.  Listening to the last part of Stargazer, along with other a few other sections on this album, will bring tears to my eyes.  It's such an emotional album.  There are 2 albums that I know a lot of folks here probably haven't really been exposed to.  This is one of them.  Do yourself a favor...give the tracks below a whirl on YT.  Such a sad story, the band one of the first, if not the first of the young Seattle scene bands to sign a major record deal in '88.  Just days before their debut album "Apple" was released in early '90, Wood OD'd on heroin.  They were considered the golden boys of the Seattle scene, and were seemingly destined to be the first huge breakout band from the scene.   Cobain?  No...  IMHO  the real tragic loss of the scene was Andrew Wood.   This verse sums up my perception of Wood....

Wanna show you something like
The joy inside my heart
Seems I've been living in the temple of the dog
Where would I live, if I were a man of golden words?
And would I live, at all?
Words and music, my only tools
Communication

Fav tracks.....

This is Shangrila
Stardog Champion
Stargazer
Crown of Thorns
The Man of Golden Words
Bone China
Capricorn Sister
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 09:37:17 AM by CrimsonSunrise »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: May 03, 2014, 09:43:23 AM »
Will check out MLB - pretty sure I did a looong time ago but no harm revisiting.  When it comes to Anthrax I'm the opposite -  the only track on Among The Living that I return to is Indians whereas I love Spreading The Disease as an album.  I'd take Persistence of Time well before Among The Living too.  I know I'm in the minority there.

Enjoying the list and the regular updates :tup

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: May 03, 2014, 10:09:43 AM »
Will check out MLB - pretty sure I did a looong time ago but no harm revisiting.  When it comes to Anthrax I'm the opposite -  the only track on Among The Living that I return to is Indians whereas I love Spreading The Disease as an album.  I'd take Persistence of Time well before Among The Living too.  I know I'm in the minority there.

Enjoying the list and the regular updates :tup

Thanks Bro  ;D  Yeah... like I mentioned, part of the allure of ATL is the subject matter of the songs.  I do think it's a better sounding album then STD though, as far as mix and sound quality.  With POT... they kind of lost me.

Great vid of Stargazer... showing some compilation vids of Wood and the boys...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9n9gW1wCks

For anyone who likes the Seattle scene...here's a real rare gem.  Andrew Wood doing a sound check with Alice In Chains, guess Layne was busy.  Wood improvises the words to "I Know Something (Bout You)"  and transforms the song into "Butt Sauce Baby"  :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grSpPI-xlsM
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 10:36:00 AM by CrimsonSunrise »