Author Topic: Crimson's Top 50 v. #1 ..... And then there was one...  (Read 29549 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: Crimson's Top 50 v. Bring on some Angst!!
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2014, 09:57:36 AM »
Lots of great stuff in the last coouple of updates.
Unleashed In The East made my top 50.
Last In Line  :metal
SX- Odyssey is as great as you say. V:TNMS was my first X album too.
Machine Head is awesome. Pictures of Home is such an underrated track. How When A Blind Man Cries was left off this album is a mystery. I'm a huge Blackmore fan. The best of the British guitarists that came along in the 60s for me.
Pieces of Eight is excellent too.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2014, 10:36:39 AM »
The mighty Dio :hefdaddy The Last in Line (the song) might be one of my favorite Dio songs ever. He always sounds powerful, but on that song in particular... :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2014, 10:51:23 AM »
Machine Head and Pieces of 8 are truly epic albums.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2014, 10:54:38 AM »
Dio Rules!!  Nice to see Last in Line make a top 50; it would be in mine for sure.

Machine Head is awesome too!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2014, 03:14:45 PM »
I grew up with Rainbow/Dio, and was just this morning watching an old '94 interview where he pulled no punches.  Loved how he evaluated all the LP's he had done up to that point. 

4 part interview, I'll post pt 2-3, they have the album evaluations....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L01b7_Wm5n4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGqz9CYXalQ

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Crimson's Top 50 v. Did someone say...'91?
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2014, 09:32:40 AM »

#25    The Cult -  Sonic Temple

April 10, 1989

Usually the first thing that comes to mind when I think about Sonic Temple is when I had one of the scariest moments of my life.  I was cranking "New York City" in my old '78 Datsun 200sx at about 7pm when it happened.  I was at the top of the on ramp of one of our lovely, dainty, tranquil Southern California freeways when I went into a spin.  I did probably 3 complete 360's across 6 lanes and bounced off the center divider, getting clipped head on by a BMW oncoming in the fast lane.  The whole time all I saw was headlights everywhere, and hearing the Cult jamming.....LOL.  You would think that might put a damper on spinning the disc again, but this album was too good to retire prematurely.   So many great tracks on this album, but Sweet Soul Sister and Soul Asylum are just incredible.  I had listened to the couple albums prior, "Love" and "Electric", and while they were good albums....it seemed they were just building up to the masterpiece that is Sonic Temple.

Other great tracks...

Edie
New York City
Soldier Blue
Sun King

Hell......there's not a bad song on this album!

#24    Temple of the Dog

April 16, 1991

What can you say?  2 awesome bands getting together to memorialize another great talent.  The saddest thing about this album, is that it had to end and was a one shot deal.  I absolutely love the musicians involved with this project, and the Late Andrew Wood.  One of the many epic 1991 releases.  And while I've mentioned my beliefs on '91 being one of the best years ever for rock and roll, it's really the 2 year span of '91-92.  Some of the best Rock ever made came from this span of time,  Including this tribute album, as well as albums from the 2 bands involved with this one.  If you've been living in a monastery, or are just too young to have been exposed to it, do yourself a solid and head on over to YT and treat yourself.

Favorite tracks....

Say Hello to Heaven
Reach Down  (insane, soul wrenching power vocals by Cornell)
Pushing Forward Back
Wooden Jesus
Four Walled World

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2014, 10:06:08 AM »
Well, I never lived in a monastery, and I'm certainly not too young, but never heard (or at least, it isn't ringing a bell) of Temple of the Dog.  Care to elaborate.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2014, 10:13:24 AM »
I remember not liking Temple of the Dog, though I'm pretty sure it's been some 15 years or more since I heard it. I'll YT it tomorrow and see if anything has changed.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2014, 10:34:43 AM »
Well, I never lived in a monastery, and I'm certainly not too young, but never heard (or at least, it isn't ringing a bell) of Temple of the Dog.  Care to elaborate.

Yeah..you don't strike me as a Monk... :biggrin:  Temple of the Dog was a memorial album done in '91 for the late Andrew Wood, lead singer of Mother Love Bone.  The musicians were made up of guys from Pearl Jam and Soundgarden.  Both Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament were members of Mother Love Bone, and went on to form Pearl Jam after Wood's death.

Temple of the Dog musicians.....

Chris Cornell – lead vocals, banjo, guitar
    Mike McCready – lead guitar
    Stone Gossard – rhythm guitar
    Jeff Ament – bass
    Matt Cameron – drums
    Eddie Vedder – backing vocals

I remember not liking Temple of the Dog, though I'm pretty sure it's been some 15 years or more since I heard it. I'll YT it tomorrow and see if anything has changed.

Just curious... do you not care for Pearl Jam or Soundgarden either?  Or was it just that album?

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2014, 01:24:51 PM »
I hated Grunge.

Sonic Temple is a great album though.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2014, 01:26:38 PM »
I never lumped Pearl Jam or Soundgarden or AIC as grunge.  Nirvana, The Pixies, Sonic Youth....that's grunge.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2014, 02:05:27 PM »
I never lumped Pearl Jam or Soundgarden or AIC as grunge.  Nirvana, The Pixies, Sonic Youth....that's grunge.

Interesting... my grunge list is completely backwards from yours...except for Nirvana, they were grunge ;D

From wiki....cause wiki's always right!!!!!   ;)

Grunge became commercially successful in the first half of the 1990s, due mainly to the release of Nirvana's Nevermind, Pearl Jam's Ten, Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger, Alice in Chains' Dirt, and Stone Temple Pilots' Core. The success of these bands boosted the popularity of alternative rock and made grunge the most popular form of hard rock music at the time.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2014, 02:13:07 PM »
Not for me.  They were just rock bands.  That's Kings words and I'm running with it! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2014, 02:15:41 PM »
That's Kings words and I'm running with it! :lol

:tup

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2014, 02:17:05 PM »

Grunge became commercially successful in the first half of the 1990s, due mainly to the release of Nirvana's Nevermind, Pearl Jam's Ten, Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger, Alice in Chains' Dirt, and Stone Temple Pilots' Core. The success of these bands boosted the popularity of alternative rock and made grunge the most popular form of hard rock music at the time.

So it seems they define grunge as anything really popular that wasn't glam-ish rock or hair rock at the time like G'n'R, Bon Jovi, Crue, Whitesnake, Warrant, etc.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2014, 02:39:49 PM »

He didn't list their big single "Hunger Strike" among his favorites.  I'm sure you've heard that song jingle.

The Pixies, Sonic Youth....that's grunge.

I never knew that crack was available in New Hampshire.  Now I know.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2014, 02:42:39 PM »
I think you're avatar is working like a drug.

But really I know they were from the era and were called grunge but those 3 were to me, rock bands.  I thing of grunge as the underground music from the 90's more or at least the underground sound like The Melvins.  Just my 2 cents.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2014, 02:49:28 PM »

They were all lumped in with the grunge movement at the time, especially Pearl Jam, AIC, Soundgarden, TotD. They were in the UK anyway. I acctually own Dirt and Ten. They weren't my cup of tea really.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2014, 02:50:08 PM »
IMO, grunge was unpolished rock.  Severely unpolished.  I was rarely a fan.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2014, 02:51:42 PM »

They were all lumped in with the grunge movement at the time, especially Pearl Jam, AIC, Soundgarden, TotD. They were in the UK anyway. I acctually own Dirt and Ten. They weren't my cup of tea really.

Oh I know.  i lived it like you but I never personally lumped them as grunge.  Just my thing that's all.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2014, 02:57:50 PM »

So it seems they define grunge as anything really popular that wasn't glam-ish rock or hair rock at the time like G'n'R, Bon Jovi, Crue, Whitesnake, Warrant, etc.

I read through the whole Wiki definition and read a bunch of other media and webster's definitions, and there are some common denominators..

1.  Most Grunge bands were from the Seattle music scene from 89ish on till about 94.
2.  Grunge is a blending of heavy metal and punk components
3.  Grunge is like you mentioned..."Anti-Glam". grungy, dirty, raw.

That defines bands like Soundgarden, AiC's, STP, Nirvana, and early PJ to me.   That's how I saw it while it was happening back then.  Now... I understand that these bands got popular REAL fast, which makes them not as cool and "underground"..... but they were what me, my friends, and the media of the day called grunge.  Definitions are subjective, doesn't mean that I'm right or wrong, same goes for King, or anyone else's definitions.  It's all subjective in my book.  Look at Dream Theater. Most of us say they're "Prog"  or "Prog metal".  I've heard others just lump them in as generic metal.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2014, 06:43:16 PM »
I think the only album I've ever owned that could even loosely be called grunge is AiC's Facelift because I really like Man In The Box and there's a couple of other half decent tracks on it.  Other than that  ....not interested ............just a bunch of PITAs who were responsible for many of my favourite bands being dropped like hot potatoes.  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2014, 06:49:52 PM »
I think the only album I've ever owned that could even loosely be called grunge is AiC's Facelift because I really like Man In The Box and there's a couple of other half decent tracks on it.  Other than that  ....not interested ............just a bunch of PITAs who were responsible for many of my favourite bands being dropped like hot potatoes.  ;D

This man knows his shit, ladies and gentlemen.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2014, 10:19:40 PM »

Yup.  Not a fan of grunge at all.  There are some AIC songs that are pretty good and that I don't mind hearing on the radio.  Not sure if STP would be considered grunge overall, but a few of their songs are good; especially sex type thing.  But I couldn't care less about Pearl Jam or Nirvana.

And Chad, I would bet money that you've heard Hunger Strike from Temple of the Dog.  Still meh to me, but hear it often on the radio.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2014, 10:22:39 PM »
Nope, still not a fan. :lol I never really liked grunge at all though so this isn't surprising. I don't mind a few Soundgarden or Alice in Chains songs (got two albums from each of these bands) but other than that, I don't like grunge. Especially not Nirvana. ;D

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2014, 10:26:34 PM »
I feel kinda bad for grunge fans on a prog forum. :lol

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Crimson's Top 50 v. getting down and Dirty....
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2014, 08:04:31 AM »

#23     Alice in Chains -  Dirt

September 29, 1992

I'm almost scared to make this update after the beating grunge took yesterday....lol, but, it's where it falls on my list, and it won't be the last.  Loved this album.  While Facelift was very good, it wasn't as well rounded as Dirt to me.  Just a great sounding and edgy album.  I remember reading after it's release about the drug problems surrounding the band, and I had that sinking feeling  that something tragic was in their future.  Like watching the proverbial train wreck.  What is it about hanging onto the edge of the abyss with one bad hand, and being able to make quantum leaps in creativity?  We've seen it time and time again over the decades in Rock and Roll, and it still makes me just shake my head.  Being a recovering addict, I get the draw, it's just sad that it takes substances to bring out what is already inside of us.  Lots of great tracks on this one.  LOVE the story behind "The Rooster", which was a nod to The Rooster, Cantrell's dad, a Vietnam vet in the 101st Airborne.  "Would"  is one of those anthem type songs that just resonste so well with me...love the chorus.

Favorite tracks....

The Rooster
Would
Them Bones
Down in a Hole
Dam that River

#22    Guns and Roses -  Appetite for Destruction

July 21, 1987

At the time this album came out, it seemed like the Hair bands were getting kinda stale, and heavy metal in general was getting a little stagnant.  With the exception of thrash, which was really ramping up in '86.  G&R to me, and particularly Appetite for Destruction was just a back to roots kind of old fashioned blues based Rock album.  Not simplistic by any means, but just good old hard rock.  They had a very unique sound, and Axl's vocals were very fresh to me at that time.  Very reminiscent of a young Robert Plant in some ways.  Of course later, he turned into a royal pain in the ass, but, at that time it was all peaches and cream.  While I'm not a huge Slash fan as a lead guitarist, he is very good.  I love his overall sound and groove.  Another one of those..."I wish I had seen this tour" comment has to be interjected here.  It is a regret for sure that I missed it.

Fav tracks......

Welcome to the Jungle - yeah...it was played a billion times, but it was just such a cool song
Sweet Child of Mine
Nightrain
Rocket Queen
Thinking About You

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2014, 10:19:11 AM »
Not much of a fan of AiC, but App for Destruction is killer.  Overtook Boston s/t as the highest selling debut album of all time (at the time... not sure if it still is or not - according to wiki, it is).

Paradise City, ftw.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2014, 01:50:48 PM »
As I said above, I bought Dirt but didn't really enjoy it. Would is ok and I really like Down In A Hole, they were the reasons I bought the album. It was all a bit miserable for me though. I was an 80s hairband boy. Still am...

Appetite - I had that about a year before they hit big in the UK. Got it on import after hearing about them and absolutely loved it. Then they got popular and you couldn't go anywhere without hearing the songs and I came to hate it. And Axl became a huge tool. They were awful live and by the time the Use Your Illusions came out I was so over them.
I was at the Monsters of Rock festival at Donington when 3 people were killed in the crush when GnR came on. It is the most scared I've ever been. I was passing people out over my head to the security at the front but there was a point where i was carried by the crowd and my feet weren't on the ground. Scary.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2014, 02:38:47 PM »
Both really good picks!  Dirt is AiC's high point.  Would belongs on any list of the great songs of the 90s (and beyond).  Layne's vocals work great with the style of music.  There's half a dozen great tracks here.  I just have to be in the right kind of mood for it, it's sort of... dark(?) in a way that is different than most heavy music, know what I mean?

Appetite also has some killer tracks, definitely G'n'R had talent that few could match.  Unfortunately the few hits are still so overplayed.  I don't think Paradise City is a very good song, the choruses are too repetitive and juvenile, although the verses have a good groove.  Despite that, some of the non-radio tracks are really great music, I would have loved to hear these guys live when they were still playing the clubs on Sunset.  Tight, aggressive, swagger, but still great music for the most part.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2014, 02:47:30 PM »
I'm going to half-heartedly come to Crimson's defense.  Back in the 90s, I didn't really discriminate between 80s metal and grunge.  They were both hard and aggressive and appealed to me.  I loved AiC, Pearl Jam (although only Ten could really be considered grunge), STP's first album Core (the only one of theirs that can be considered grunge), and Soundgarden - especially Soundgarden.  Now, the only one I would probably listen to now is Soundgarden's Badmoterfinger, but if I was making a list of albums that once carried the flag for what I once loved, there would be spots for AiC, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and maybe even that Seven Mary Three album.

Unfortunately the few hits are still so overplayed.  I don't think Paradise City is a very good song, the choruses are too repetitive and juvenile, although the verses have a good groove. 

This, especially the bold part.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Re: Crimson's Top 50 v. A newbie sneaks in
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2014, 02:50:22 PM »
#43  Iron Butterfly - In-a-gadda-da-vida

First off.....where's my bong.  If ever a song called for being ripped, it would be this song.  The rest of the album isn't shabby either, but it's the title track that makes it a heavy hitter.  If you've never heard this song...  throw on some headphones and give it a whirl.  Some folks might find it a tad tedious and drawn out, but I love it!  Other notable songs, I really like "Are you Happy" too.  A couple fun facts...  Slayer does a wicked cover of this song.  And the urban legend about how the name came about was it was supposed to be called "In the Garden of Eden"  but got lost in stoner translation....LOL

Little late to respond but I looooooooooove this album. My dad pulled it out of his record collection and after some looking back at memories insisted I give it a shot one day, fantastic album.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2014, 03:59:21 PM »

Appetite - I had that about a year before they hit big in the UK. Got it on import after hearing about them and absolutely loved it. Then they got popular and you couldn't go anywhere without hearing the songs and I came to hate it. And Axl became a huge tool. They were awful live and by the time the Use Your Illusions came out I was so over them.

Pretty much this , although "hate" might be a bit strong for my case.  I haven't listened to it in more than 10 years so could probably go back now and appreciate it again , but saturation point was reached back then.  I tended to like the deeper cuts like Rocket Queen best.  Great album and very influential but suffered (for me) from over exposure........none of the follow ups or solo projects since have come close to it though.

And , as mentioned above , if I do like one grungy band a bit it's Alice In Chains - so good update for me in that context.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 04:09:04 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2014, 05:40:04 PM »
Appetite is a pretty alright album. I feel like it was only really known for its hits which became overplayed to oblivion. Welcome to the Jungle wore out on me pretty quick but Sweet Child O' Mine I can still enjoy to a good extent.

My favorite tracks are probably Nightrain and and My Michelle. Both of those are killer. Unfortunately, a lot of the other songs just started to blend together for me.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2014, 05:59:29 PM »

Yup.  Not a fan of grunge at all.  There are some AIC songs that are pretty good and that I don't mind hearing on the radio.  Not sure if STP would be considered grunge overall, but a few of their songs are good; especially sex type thing.  But I couldn't care less about Pearl Jam or Nirvana.

And Chad, I would bet money that you've heard Hunger Strike from Temple of the Dog.  Still meh to me, but hear it often on the radio.

You know, when you mentioned it Jay, I was like "mmmmm, not sure."  Amazingly, it was on the radio today (and I RARELY) listen to the radio... was just in the car on the way home from something, and on it came.  Yeah, I recognized it.

And yeah, still meh to me too.