Author Topic: Crimson's Top 50 v. #1 ..... And then there was one...  (Read 29548 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
One of my favs from DT.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
One of my favs from DT.

Incredible disc

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
Nothing was more shocking than FII on its release.

TOT and SC were more shocking by far.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Crimson's Top 50 v. "TOP 3 COUNTDOWN".... #2...Off to Budapest....
« Reply #248 on: May 29, 2014, 07:41:27 AM »
#2    Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane

January 22, 2002

Easily, the most melodic, listenable, and overall enjoyable album I have ever heard.  I just absolutely adore this album, top to bottom.  Most albums for me at some point I tire of listening too and have to take a break.  Not this one.  I have never tired of this album.  The haunting melodies... The incredible music, the mesmerizing vocals, all add up to one of the best albums ever created.  I enjoy the Perfect Element, but it fails to reach the pinnacle that Remedy Lane does.  Funny, I know by the ambiance and feel of the album, that it is a bit dark and I am usually less inspired by darker art.  This is definitely the exception to the rule because I can't get enough of it.  It captures me from beginning to end.  What an end it is, Beyond the Pale is a masterpiece.  I really enjoy POS's music, but beyond this album and the Perfect Element pt 1, it drops off.  Each album for various reasons.  Scarsick because of the blatant anti-American theme, Cocrete Lake because it just never moved me.  Road Salt because it just didn't seem that good to me.  Back to Scarsick, as much as I respect anyone's belief, like I mentioned during my chat on Pearl Jam, I don't like politically based music.  Add to that the fact that they wouldn't travel to play the US for so long,  soured me quite a bit on the band, and more specifically Gildenlow.  Regardless of all that.... this epic can't be ignored or lessened by those factors.

Every song on this album is awesome, even the ambient title track.  That being said, here are my favs.

Undertow
This Heart of Mine
Beyond the Pale
Ending Theme
A Trace of Blood
Rope Ends
Dryad of the Woods
Second Love

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #249 on: May 29, 2014, 07:43:32 AM »
Meh... sorry, I just don't 'get' PoS.  And it hasn't been for lack of trying.  When Elite does PoS as a discography discussion, I'll give them one final kick at the can.  Not sure why they don't click with me, they just don't.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: May 29, 2014, 07:48:51 AM »
Like I mentioned, really only the 2 albums do it for me.  Have you really listened to Remedy Lane?  If I take away Remedy Lane, and 3/4ths of the Perfect Element...then I wouldn't really get POS either..  :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: May 29, 2014, 08:20:52 AM »
I don't get PoS either for the most part but there is some stuff on Remedy Lane  that I quite like.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #252 on: May 29, 2014, 08:22:49 AM »
I've been listening to Remedy Lane a lot since last fall, in preparation for when they play it in full this year at Progpower. Beyond the Pale is one of the greatest songs I've ever heard- I really love it.

The only other PoS album I have is Entropia, and that's fantastic. I really need to check out some of their other stuff (I've only heard bits of Be, and Concrete Lake). But I understand not getting them, too. I know I didn't for a while, and I know I still don't get a lot of the super popular groups/artists here on DTF.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #253 on: May 29, 2014, 12:58:11 PM »
Remedy Lane was ok for me at first, but nothing mind-boggling. After a while, all of the songs just started clicking and now I love it to death. Such an emotional listen as well.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #254 on: May 29, 2014, 04:15:12 PM »
Meh... sorry, I just don't 'get' PoS.  And it hasn't been for lack of trying.  When Elite does PoS as a discography discussion, I'll give them one final kick at the can.  Not sure why they don't click with me, they just don't.

This. I have this album, bought it after seeing them support DT. I enjoyed their set but not the albums. Not sure why. Just lacks the magic dust in the songwriting fo r me. I guess its just not to my taste, simple as that.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
#1     Led Zeppelin

January 12, 1969

For anyone who's known me here on DTF, this one isn't a shocker I'm sure.  Without a doubt,to me, the greatest Rock and Roll band of all time.  Everyone has there own opinion with regards to that question. Many will say The Beatles, many the Stones, and some The Who or Floyd.  The Beatles to me were trend setters.  They made some great Pop, catchy type music.  Then some experimental-ish type stuff.  None of it was my cup of tea.  The Stones were a great basic R&B rock band.  By basic I mean not the most complex writing and arranging, and just not "Hard Rock" enough for me.  The Who, had moments of brilliance and carved out there own niche in the early Mod days.  Floyd, as I mentioned earlier, had one of the best 4 album runs of all time.  Also their own unique sound, creativity and brilliance.  Initially in this thread Chad called me on the my "Big 4" not including Floyd, that was a major muff on my part.  In the 70's, it was more the Big 4 for me, I hadn't really gotten hard into Floyd yet.  This is how I rate the "Big 5".  In my life, I have owned 1 Stones album (Some Girls) and zero Beatles albums.  They just don't do it for me, and over the last 40 years, I'm sure I've heard about everything they've done.

1. Led Zeppelin
2. Pink Floyd
3. The Who
4. The Rolling Stones
5. The Beatles

I've picked Led Zeppelin I because it's the start of it all.  In all honesty, Physical Graffiti, Led Zeppelin II, or Led Zeppelin IV are all also worthy for this spot.

My first exposure to Led Zeppelin was a friend of mine loaning me Led Zeppelin IV.  After that, I was hooked.  I couldn't get enough of them and worked my way through their discography, which at that point Physical Graffiti was the latest album.  This was around '75 I think.  So, the band was still around, yet I was to young to go to concerts.  I was actually getting ready to buy tickets for the "In Through the Out Door" tour when Bonham died.  I was 16 and absolutely crushed by the death of John Bonham.  I was a drummer in my High school Jazz band, and John Henry was my idol.   Zeppelin at the time was my musical life, and we all (my friends) knew that without Bonham the band would probably cease to exist.  We were unfortunately correct.  The closest I came to seeing them was seeing Jimmy Page in '83 for the ARMS benefit show for Ronnie Lane.  Awesome show with Clapton, Beck, and a whole gaggle of legendary musicians from that era.

Jimmy Page is not the best performer live.  At times he was sloppy, at times loaded and sloppy, at times OK, and on those rare moments stellar.  Page's strong point to me, and where his brilliance lies, is in his writing, arranging and producing.  If I could pull up one example, I would say "Achilles' Last Stand".  A perfect example of Page at his "Studio" best.  Layered guitar tracks that are sheer genius when mixed.   His studio prowess and production skills are legendary.  This is where his strength lies.

Like with any great band, there has to be that harmonious chemistry.  Zeppelin lacked none of that.  From the very beginning they all complimented and meshed so well together.  For those who aren't familiar, they were a band that was basically thrown together to fulfill an existing tour obligation for Page and the Yardbirds. Call it fate, call it luck, call it whatever you like, but whatever stars were aligned to bring together these 4 men.... was incredible.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I had zero exposure to Led Zeppelin as a kid other then the few big radio hits ..................the little bit of exploration of their catalogue that I have done later in life has resulted in some killer but mostly filler for my taste but I still need to spend more time with them. I've bought a few more of their albums that are gathering dust somewhere , so plenty of material yet unexplored..

Thanks for a great top 50 ....................well paced and held my interest right through ..........plenty I like , plenty I don't and you had me investigate a few things that may well work their way into rotation on the bl5150 stereo.  :tup

The above sentiment applies to all 3 current top 50's - enjoying them all.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
I had zero exposure to Led Zeppelin as a kid other then the few big radio hits ..................the little bit of exploration of their catalogue that I have done later in life has resulted in some killer but mostly filler for my taste but I still need to spend more time with them. I've bought a few more of their albums that are gathering dust somewhere , so plenty of material yet unexplored..

Thanks for a great top 50 ....................well paced and held my interest right through ..........plenty I like , plenty I don't and you had me investigate a few things that may well work their way into rotation on the bl5150 stereo.  :tup

The above sentiment applies to all 3 current top 50's - enjoying them all.

I surely understand your sentiment with Zep.  That's the beauty of music, our tastes are just that, Ours!  Just like me not really getting the Beatles.  I'm in a minority for sure, it's just the way it is.  I also would like to thank you, and everyone for their fantastic input and insights.  My whole goal when I signed up was that maybe...just maybe...I'll turn someone else onto something that would enrich their musical lives.  That's what I've gotten from others Top 50's and appreciation threads in this sub-forum.  Thanks for following mate!  It's been a lot of fun doing this.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Not my favorite Zep album, and I don't even think my favorite Zep album would come close to my #1 spot, but this is a fine album. :metal

A pretty nice list, overall. :tup

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
My complete Top 50 list.....

#50    Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic pillow   
#49    Aerosmith - Rocks       
#48    Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced?   
#47    Kiss - Alive 2     
#46    Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery     
#45    The Who  - Who's Next
#44    Scorpions - Blackout
#43    Iron Butterfly - In-a-gadda-da-vida
#42    Cream - Disraeli Gears
#41    Kamelot - Black Halo
#40    Steve Miller Band - Fly Like An Eagle
#39    Eagles -  Hotel California
#38    The Doors
#37    Ozzy Osbourne -  Blizzard of Ozz
#36    Rage against the machine
#35    Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols
#34    Symphony X -  Odyssey
#33    Jethro Tull aqualung
#32    Sixx AM - Heroin Diaries
#31    Judas Priest - Unleashed in the East
#30    4 Non Blondes -  Bigger Better Faster More
#29    Deep Purple - Machine Head
#28    Dio -  Last in Line
#27    Styx -  Pieces of Eight
#26    Seven Mary Three -  American Standard
#25    The Cult -  Sonic Temple
#24    Temple of the Dog
#23    Alice in Chains -  Dirt
#22    Guns and Roses -  Appetite for Destruction
#21    Lynyrd Skynyrd (Pronounced 'Lĕh-'nérd 'Skin-'nérd)
#20    Live - Secret Samadhi
#19    Soundgarden -  Badmotorfinger
#18    Ynwie Malmsteen -  Rising Force
#17    Stone Temple Pilots - Core
#16    Metallica - Master of Puppets
#15    Anthrax -  Among the Living
#14    Mother Love Bone
#13    Death Angel -  Act III
#12    Red Hot Chili Peppers -  Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magic
#11    Pink floyd -  Dark Side of the Moon
#10    Black Lab - Your Body Above Me
#9      Rush - 2112
#8      Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
#7T    Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind / Powerslave
#6      Rainbow - On Stage
#5      Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
#4      Pearl Jam - Ten
#3      Dream Theater - Awake
#2      Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane
#1      Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Crimson's Top 50 v. #1 ..... And then there was one...
« Reply #260 on: May 30, 2014, 05:00:32 AM »
Zeppelin is surely worthy of being in spot #1, but not so sure Zep I is.  It's middle of the pack for me on their 8 releases.  Great writeup, and I'm going to refrain from saying too much, saving it for when I do my discography discussion.  Zeppelin is, and always has/will be, my favorite band.  Tattoo's of the four symbols on my left shoulder at 18 years old made that a foregone conclusion.  They were the band that set my musical course for life.

I'll echo Brent's comments.... great Top 50.  I may not have agreed with all the albums, but as you said... dem's tastes for ya!

Nicely done Greg   :tup
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: May 30, 2014, 08:25:32 AM »
I actually had Remedy Lane in the car today, amazing.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: May 30, 2014, 08:36:16 AM »
cool top 50!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #263 on: May 30, 2014, 08:07:59 PM »
I love Remedy Lane, Top 5 album for me as well. Every song is so ridiculously good. :tup
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: May 30, 2014, 08:10:06 PM »
Zeppelin is surely worthy of being in spot #1, but not so sure Zep I is.  It's middle of the pack for me on their 8 releases.  Great writeup, and I'm going to refrain from saying too much, saving it for when I do my discography discussion.  Zeppelin is, and always has/will be, my favorite band.  Tattoo's of the four symbols on my left shoulder at 18 years old made that a foregone conclusion.  They were the band that set my musical course for life.

I'll echo Brent's comments.... great Top 50.  I may not have agreed with all the albums, but as you said... dem's tastes for ya!

Nicely done Greg   :tup

Thanks Chad!  Also to JJ and Wolf for following.  I look forward to the Zep discography thread  :tup  I'm sure we'll have lots to chit chat about. 

I love Remedy Lane, Top 5 album for me as well. Every song is so ridiculously good. :tup

Scorp!  my vindicator... :lol  It's good to see someone hold it in as high esteem as I do!!  Thanks to you and Senecadawg!

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #265 on: May 30, 2014, 09:17:11 PM »
Zep 1 has some great songs on it, but not my favorite album of theirs.  Page sounded killer on this album even though he's sort of sloppy.

Great list overall, enjoyed reading through your experiences and commentary on all of them.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #266 on: June 01, 2014, 03:37:30 AM »
Can't stand Zep. I acknowledge the effect they had on rock history but its not for me. Can't stand Robert Plant as I've said before (sorry Chad  :biggrin:). *shudders*. Just thinking of that shrieking voice makes me cringe.

Anyway, great list, very varied and certainly  not all in my taste but enough to keep me interested, and I have picked up that Death Angel album on your recommendation.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: June 01, 2014, 08:42:24 AM »
Can't stand Zep. I acknowledge the effect they had on rock history but its not for me. Can't stand Robert Plant as I've said before (sorry Chad  :biggrin:). *shudders*. Just thinking of that shrieking voice makes me cringe.

Anyway, great list, very varied and certainly  not all in my taste but enough to keep me interested, and I have picked up that Death Angel album on your recommendation.

Different strokes brotha  :biggrin:  Although I can't see how anyone who likes rock can't like Zep.  But them again, I'm not a Beatles fan...so I guess it can happen...LOL.  Hope you like the DA as much as me  :tup  Like I said earlier, if one person gets some new music out of my list that they enjoy...it's mission accomplished for me!  Thanks for following and contributing!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: June 01, 2014, 05:56:52 PM »
Can't stand Zep.

This guy knows what's up.

Great list man, enjoyed following.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: June 01, 2014, 06:27:26 PM »
Can't stand Zep.

This guy knows what's up.

Great list man, enjoyed following.

Always found this surprising Kade.  You're still the king or rock/metal, but strange that you don't like Zeppelin, Van Halen and I believe Kiss too.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #270 on: June 02, 2014, 03:32:39 PM »
Some great albums on the list. Good to see Blackout and Rocks get mentions. Real interesting. Last In line too. Typically , and desrvedly so, the praise goes to Holy Diver, but Last in Line is an incredible album. And of course the mighty On Stage.  Stunning.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #271 on: June 02, 2014, 06:11:12 PM »
Awesome list. A lot I need to check out. :tup