Author Topic: Crimson's Top 50 v. #1 ..... And then there was one...  (Read 29545 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: Crimson's Top 50 v. We Have Assumed Control…...
« Reply #175 on: May 12, 2014, 09:45:45 AM »
One of the top 10 albums of all time chez Lowdz.  :metal
Nuff said.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #176 on: May 12, 2014, 01:38:54 PM »
2112 is a great album. I never get sick of it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #177 on: May 12, 2014, 02:01:24 PM »
Side 2 of 2112 has some of Rush's weakest material.  But I think 2112 and Something For Nothing are among their best.  In fact, I haven't listened to 2112 in a while so I"m going to go listen to it right now.  I can remember how awesome the overture was to me when I was discovering them (and still is).

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: May 12, 2014, 02:18:47 PM »
2112 is a great album. I never get sick of it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #179 on: May 12, 2014, 03:09:01 PM »
What is this 2112 you are talking about.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #180 on: May 12, 2014, 03:31:43 PM »
Don't annoy us further!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #181 on: May 12, 2014, 04:44:43 PM »
It was obvious to the forum from the very beginning where my username was derived. :P

One of, if not my most favorite Rush album.

CLASSIC!!

Re-quote till the end of time.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: May 12, 2014, 05:29:07 PM »
Don't annoy us further!

We have more album to preview! :metal :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Crimson's Top 50 v. The World is full of Kings and Queens….
« Reply #183 on: May 13, 2014, 06:22:05 AM »

#8    Black Sabbath -  Heaven and Hell

April 25, 1980

Tony Iommi…..Ronnie James Dio…. Bill Ward……Geezer Butler.  What a line up, and what an album!  You can tell The old sabbath guys were hungry and needed serious creative infusion after the last 3 albums.  Not many people were capable of filling Ozzy's role, but they sure struck pay dirt in Dio.  This album is just spectacular, from the beginning of Neon Knights, and the first soaring vocals you just know it's gonna be epic.  Another one of those albums that doesn't have a bad or mediocre track on it.  I know over the initial Dio tenure there was a lot of conflict and division.  It seems like they sorted everything out with the formation of H&H.  Unfortunately cancer got the better of Ronnie. 

One of my favorite lyrical segments of all time….

They say that lives a carousel..
Spinning fast you've got to ride it well…
The world is full of kings and queens..
To blind your eyes and steal your dreams..
It's Heaven and Hell...

Fav tracks….

Neon Knights
Children of the Sea
Heaven and Hell
Lonely is the Word
Die Young
Wishing Well

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Crimson's Top 50 v. The Moon is just a sun at night….
« Reply #184 on: May 13, 2014, 06:50:55 AM »
I've never done a top 50, even for my own curiosity, nor have I given it much thought, but I have to believe this album would be near the top for me too. Every song on this record is imprinted in my DNA now. For years now, if I get a song stuck in my head--especially annoying ear worms--the quickest way to be rid of them is to think of the opening riff to the song Heaven and Hell. Why? Because the riff never stands alone in my head; It always leads to the complete song. By the time I get to that evil acoustic guitar at the end the ear worm is crushed out on the floor.

I know Dio was often panned for his lyrics but I've usually liked them. This album is probably my favorite for his lyrics. I even think Lady Evil is clever; the imagery of a witch feeding the darkness by hand is cool.

What can you say about Tony's guitar work on this album. Man, it took me by such surprise when I first heard this album. It was hard to believe it was him compared to Black Sabbath's most resent output. By the time the closing lead finished on Lonely is the Word (which is high on my list of the greatest ever by anyone) I knew this was a different time for Iommi. He still had the magic for catchy riffs but with a level of creativity that I think he rarely hit on again.

Great album. Great choice!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: May 13, 2014, 09:27:25 AM »
Top 5 for me!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #186 on: May 13, 2014, 11:44:23 AM »
It's half a great album but some filler, as with the follow up. The great stuff is great though - Title track, Neon Knights, Die Young, Children Of The Sea - all awesome. Lonely is ok.
Combine the best bits of both DIO era albums and that's one stellar album. I don't mind RJD's lyrics but they fit a pattern, lots of rainbows and lots of contrasts.
He certainly fit this version of Sabbath.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #187 on: May 13, 2014, 02:44:30 PM »
Heaven And Hell :metal :metal

Love that verse that's quoted in the write up.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #188 on: May 13, 2014, 03:29:35 PM »
Saw that thread title and instantly it came into my head. Great pick of album there.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: May 14, 2014, 05:27:47 PM »
The only track I'd really call filler would be Walk Away.  One of my first Sabbath and metal albums actually, amazing stuff.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Crimson's Top 50 v. The Eagles nest and Water everywhere…...
« Reply #190 on: May 15, 2014, 06:10:48 AM »
#7 -T    Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind & Powerslave 

May 16, 1983 and September 3, 1984, respectively 

Hopefully I won't catch too much grief for cheating here a bit.  I know I stated only one album per band, honestly though, these 2 albums rank out exactly the same in my book.  In fact, I think this would have been an incredible double album.  And with being in the top 10 of all time for me I thought they both deserved a place.  Talk about some awesome music!  Piece of Mind…

Where Eagles Dare
Flight of Icarus
Die with Your Boot's on
The Trooper
Revelations
To Tame a Land

What a line up of primo songs, all on one album!!!!  Like I mentioned way back when, I fucking LOVE lyrics that either tell a good story or are based on real events.  With Maiden, you've got both in spades!  Where Eagles Dare, based on the movie of the same title.  The Trooper based on Tennyson's work.  To Tame a Land is based on one of the greatest Science Fiction novels of all time, Frank Herbert's Dune.  Flight of Icarus based on Greek mythology, and Revelations being in small part based on Aleister Crowley and G.K. Chesterton.

Powerslave….

Aces High
2 Minutes to Midnight
Powerslave
Rhyme of The Ancient Mariner
Back in the Village

Here again, a masterpiece of Samuel Taylor Colridge's The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner.  Being an ex-merchant marine, I just love the story he tells!  Aces High and 2 minutes  slap you into the cockpit of a British Spitfire and on the streets of London as the German bombs and V2's start to fall.  Powerslave can't help but inspire thought's of being on the shores of the Nile back in the day with the Pharaohs. Finally, Back in the Villiage, based on the British TV show, The Prisoner.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 06:19:16 AM by CrimsonSunrise »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: May 15, 2014, 06:26:55 AM »
Two great albums and some of my favorite music ever.  :metal

I'll give a shout out to a few of the song you didn't mention. Still Life is way toward the top of my list of favorites from Maiden...there's something so deliciously creepy about it.
Flash of the Blade is killer and The Duelists has some awesome guitar solos!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: May 15, 2014, 06:31:00 AM »
Powerslave made my top 5.  Perfect metal album.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: May 15, 2014, 10:15:52 AM »
POM is a top 10 album for me.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: May 15, 2014, 10:21:28 AM »
perfect metal music

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #195 on: May 15, 2014, 10:47:45 AM »
perfect metal music
I'm at work and cannot possibly type all I could say.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #196 on: May 15, 2014, 12:35:34 PM »
Both masterpieces. Powerslave probably makes it into my own top 10.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #197 on: May 15, 2014, 01:16:58 PM »
Two classics there. I prefer Killers but not by much. Started to go a bit downhill after Powerslave for me and seriously downhill after SSoaSS but these two albums are stellar.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #198 on: May 15, 2014, 07:29:47 PM »
Powerslave was #4 and Piece of Mind was #8 on my top ten. Two of the best metal albums ever.  :metal
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: May 15, 2014, 08:13:08 PM »
Seriously…. two phenomenal records!

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #200 on: May 16, 2014, 01:41:16 AM »
The *Rime* of the Ancient Mariner ;)

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: May 16, 2014, 06:15:42 AM »
The *Rime* of the Ancient Mariner ;)

Oh boy….. cmon Deb!!  Cut me some slack….. :lol

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: May 16, 2014, 06:21:00 AM »

#6     Rainbow -  On Stage

July 7, 1977 

If you've never heard this, please get your headphones on, and set aside some time to have a really good listen.  This lineup, one of the first "Supergroups" in my opinion…

Ronnie James Dio
Ritchie Blackmore
Cozy Powell
Jimmy Bain
Tony Carey

Hands down to me the second best live album ever recorded.  This was my first exposure to Rainbow, and most importantly, Ronnie James Dio.  I had heard some of Heaven and Hell and wondered about the singer.  Someone pointed me in the Rainbow direction, and more specifically, this album.

The first time I played this I was simply awestruck by the sheer power of the vocals.  Yeah, Blackmore and Powell were well know to me…but this was all about the live vocals.  I recently watched a youtube interview of RJD right after leaving Sabbath, dehumanizer time, and him saying how much he loved this live album.  Also…how it was a true live album, and not re-recorded in the studio.  On the flip side…he fucking slammed Live Evil for being just that…a complete studio fabrication.  Let us enter the fray….

Kill the King - What an intro…Cozy Powell hammering the double bass, with Ronnie belting it out.  Tony Carey also kicking ass on the keyboards!  This version was actually played before the song was recorded in the studio.

Medley: Man on the Silver Mountain/Blues/Starstruck - MUCH better version of MOTSM than the studio version.  Ritchie has some fantastic guitar work here, and again…Ronnie's vocals are just sheer brilliance.

Catch the Rainbow - WOW….. where to begin?  Suffice to say, If I were to make a top 50 song list… this version of this song would make the top 5.  The melodies, the build up and crescendo to the "Take you to the Sky!!!" just beautiful.  Then the ebbing of the tide to a bear whisper after Ritchies first solo section…only to have the sound barrier ripped apart by Cozy and Ritchey on his second solo run.  Some of the riffs he plays in this section…are just soul wrenching.  His melodies, and runs…. Blackmore at his best IMHO.  There's a certain run/segment that put's me in that.."This actually makes my eyes tear up" category.  All completed by Ronnie bringing it all home.

Mistreated - Nothing against David Coverdale…. but Ronnie owns him with this song…LOL.  Again… sheer fucking power when it comes to the vocals….. "Since my woman left me…I've been losing my mind" 

Sixteenth Century Greensleves - Love Cozy on this song!  Such a cool beat during the chorus. And of course….Ronnie.  I'm sure you're seeing a recurring theme in this albums review..LOL

Still I'm Sad - The original, written and performed by the Yardbirds was slow and mesmerizing.  THIS version kicks you in the fuckin NUTZ full speed ahead! 

Cozy's driving beat and Ritchies rythym intro get things started, with Carey joining in…all a prelude to Ronnie.

"See the stars falling down from the sky….
Gently passing, they kiss your tear drops dry…"

Brilliant song…the only thing that makes it a not brilliant performance is Ritchies self indulgent xmas carole infused solo section.  Otherwise, this would be very high on my all time song favorites list also.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Rainbow = Music Win.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Lowdz

Although not one of my favourite live albums (too much of Richie's meanderings for that) I'll never complain of Rainbow in a top 50.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
Those Maiden albums are solid.  Not spectacular to me, but enjoyable listening.  Not really a Rainbow fan, but maybe a live album will do something for me.  I'll give it a spin.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #207 on: May 16, 2014, 05:28:47 PM »
Catch the Rainbow - WOW….. where to begin?  Suffice to say, If I were to make a top 50 song list… this version of this song would make the top 5. The melodies, the build up and crescendo to the "Take you to the Sky!!!" just beautiful.  Then the ebbing of the tide to a bear whisper after Ritchies first solo section…only to have the sound barrier ripped apart by Cozy and Ritchey on his second solo run.  Some of the riffs he plays in this section…are just soul wrenching.  His melodies, and runs…. Blackmore at his best IMHO.  There's a certain run/segment that put's me in that.."This actually makes my eyes tear up" category.  All completed by Ronnie bringing it all home.

Hell yes! :metal

A Top 5 Live Album for me. Dio is legendary on this. And Cozy Powell kicks all kinds of ass the whole way through. And I completely agree about this song in particular. It's stunning. I don't know what to even say about it. If you're reading this list, and have never heard the live version to Catch The Rainbow, you need to get on it ASAP.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Crimson's Top 50 v. Revolution Calling.....
« Reply #209 on: May 23, 2014, 08:21:08 AM »

#5     Queensryche -  Operation Mindcrime

May 2, 1988

In the late 80's QR was one of my favs.  I loved The Warning and Rage for Order.  Then came along this gem.  Without a doubt, IMO, the best concept album ever made.  The story, the music, the flow of the album, all brilliant.  So much has already been written here about this album, repeating it all is not necessary.   Plus I'm beat, just got home after 15 days in Mexico diving...LOL.