Author Topic: Crimson's Top 50 v. #1 ..... And then there was one...  (Read 29263 times)

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Crimson's Top 50 v. #1 ..... And then there was one...
« on: April 17, 2014, 02:06:46 PM »
I've had a great time reading everyone's "Top 50" threads.  It's funny, I've always thought of myself as a very musically oriented/enlightened/diverse person.  After reading many of the recent Top 50's, I'm starting to think I don't know shit!  The diversity exhibited by a lot of you is absolutely amazing.  In comparison, my list might seem very mundane and maybe even tame to some.  I hope folks aren't bored to tears by it.   Just a little background, for those who don't know me.  I just turned 50, and I'm sure it will reflect, and explain, a lot of my choices.   I'll stick with one album per artist, otherwise my top 20 will be probably 4 artists..  Where I might differentiate is that some of my albums may be Live albums and I might comment about the band in general beyond that specific album.   SO!  Let's get this shindig started shall we?  :hat

#50  Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic pillow   

February 1967

This album really made an impression on me back in the late 70's, when I first heard it.  Originally released just months before the unforgetable "Summer of Love".  It played a huge role in the Frisco scene.   Grace Slick's voice is just enthralling, it just grabs me by the soul and won't let go.  By far to me the most captivating female rock vocalist.  You'll notice, over the course of my Top 50, that I will acknowledge a LOT of so called "Hits".  I know sometimes it's more en vogue to shy away from them and deal with the more obscure tracks, especially in this forum...LOL.  But for me that's not always the case.  This album is a good example of that.  While I enjoy the lesser know tracks, like Plastic Fantastic Lover, and  3/5 of a Mile in 10 Seconds, the 2 BIG songs on this album rule the day.  White Rabbit and Someone to Love are the epitome of the Haight-Ashbury scene in '67.  Like true psychedelic anthems they suck you into a that infamous scene.

#49  Aerosmith - Rocks       

May 3, 1976

I've always loved older Aerosmith.  In all honesty, I should have put the "Greatest Hits" album here, but I thought that would be a cop out.  Rocks though is just chock full of all kinds of raunchy, groovy goodness.  From Back in the Saddle, through Rats in the Cellar and Sick as a dog.  Rocks delivers on all levels.    Aerosmith was always a better band to me back in the day, than the newer, cleaner, version.  To me Aerosmith is a tale of 2 bands .  The Aerosmith I loved was the pre -1980 version.  I've never bought into or even really enjoyed the 1980 to present day Aerosmith.  But man... the 70's version was just plain old ass kicking rock and roll!

#48  Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced?   

May 12, 1967

What can you say?  Jimi was the Master, and most of the greats that have followed probably owe a little something to Jimi.  As far as the highlight tracks on this record...take your pick!  It's one of the most classic records of all time.  Being American, I'm going with the US release version.  The track list is just mind boggling with the following highlights....

Purple Haze
Hey Joe
Manic Depression
The Wind Cries Mary
Foxy Lady
Fire
Are You Experienced

When I first heard Jimi, like many, I was just blown away. At the time I was big into Zeppelin and a Page worshiper, well, here was a guy who made me really stop and re-evaluate who was the primo guitar player of the time.  Since then, as I got older and exposed to many more of the guitar players of that era, my opinions have fluxuated.  I still think Jimi's innovations, distinct style and sound were King.

#47  Kiss - Alive 2     

October 14, 1977

My first real "Attention getter" album in the Metal genre.  I remember listening to "God of Thunder" over...and over...and over.  It just grabbed you by the nuts and didn't let go.  I was 14 I think when this came out...ripe for the metal picking... :lol  I had been listening to Zep, Sabbath and Purple, but Kiss was a whole different beast.  Add to that the theatrics of Gene Simmons and the boys.  This was my first Kiss album, I immediately went out and bought Hotter Than Hell and Destroyer, 2 seriously bad ass albums for a 14 year old metal neophyte.  To this day....  it's that roar of "God of Thunder" that will always take me back to my "Metal" beginnings.

#46  Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery     

November 19, 1973

One of my first exposures to the world of "Prog".  I was just floored by Carl Palmer's drumming.  I mean, all 3 of them are prog gods, but Palmer really got my attention. Brain Salad Surgery was an awesome album, add to that the cover art by H. R. Giger.  Even though it's more a hit (Radio) song...Karn Evil 9, rocks.  7 virgins and a mule?  Really?   :lol  For a mellower song, "Still you Turn me On" was awesome.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 12:24:58 AM by CrimsonSunrise »

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Crimson's Top 50 v. Into the Wayback machine....
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 04:31:16 PM »
nice early selections!  Grace Slick's voice is/was mesmerizing.  Back in the Saddle is probably my second favorite Aerosmith song, after Eat The Rich.  And that Jimi album is so good.

hate to ask, but would you mind putting the year of release for your albums.  Don't worry about going back to get these, just going forward.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 04:46:35 PM »
Great start. Alive II is rock and roll  :hefdaddy

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 04:56:20 PM »
nice early selections!  Grace Slick's voice is/was mesmerizing.  Back in the Saddle is probably my second favorite Aerosmith song, after Eat The Rich.  And that Jimi album is so good.

hate to ask, but would you mind putting the year of release for your albums.  Don't worry about going back to get these, just going forward.

Done! 

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 06:20:56 PM »
Alive 2 is awesome

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 11:54:25 PM »
 :tup start
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Crimson's Top 50 v. A newbie sneaks in
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 06:35:55 AM »
#45   The Who  - Who's Next

August 14, 1971

The Who at their finest.  Baba O'Riley, Behind Blue Eyes (my fav Who song) and Won't Get Fooled Again are just legendary Rock songs... :hefdaddy.  The Who are my 3rd favorite of the "Big 4"  Surprisingly enough, 2 of those "Big 4" bands don't even make my top 50 (oops...self spoiler...LOL)  ;)

#44  Scorpions - Blackout

March 29, 1982

My first REAL rock concert was the Blackout tour in '82.  I was stationed in Hawaii and saw them at the NBC Arena.  What an awesome show!  The album was  my first exposure to the band and I really got into them.  Klaus's voice is so distinct and powerful, dude could seriously belt it out back in the day.  And of course Rudolf Schenker's writing and guitar playing are just top notch!  Lots of great songs on this one,  The title track, No one Like You, When the Smoke Is Going Down, Dynamite...hell...they're all good!

#43  Iron Butterfly - In-a-gadda-da-vida

First off.....where's my bong.  If ever a song called for being ripped, it would be this song.  The rest of the album isn't shabby either, but it's the title track that makes it a heavy hitter.  If you've never heard this song...  throw on some headphones and give it a whirl.  Some folks might find it a tad tedious and drawn out, but I love it!  Other notable songs, I really like "Are you Happy" too.  A couple fun facts...  Slayer does a wicked cover of this song.  And the urban legend about how the name came about was it was supposed to be called "In the Garden of Eden"  but got lost in stoner translation....LOL

#42  Cream - Disraeli Gears

November 2, 1967

I mean seriously, the first "Supergroup"  Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker, Jack Bruce!!  Who knows what might have happened  over the years if ego's hadn't ruled the day.  What a spectacular album.  With epics like Sunshine of your Love, Strange Brew and my fav, Tales of Brave Ulysses.  This album was recorded during the infamous Summer of Love in '67.  Was there a better year for Rock and Roll??  I think you'd be hard pressed to find one.

#41  Kamelot - Black Halo

February 16, 2005

This band is a new discovery to me about a month ago.  In all seriousness this album could possibly crack my top 25 in future polls, it's that good.  Only thing stopping it now is the test of time.  What a great sound Kamelot has on this album.  Roy Kahn is is just frikken incredible.  There isn't a bad track on it, it is so well ...crafted/arranged.  I've yet to delve into the rest of their discography, but I can't wait.  I know there's a new singer now, but the one song I've heard from the latest album sounds very good.  Thanks to this forum for turning me onto such a great group!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 09:30:38 PM by CrimsonSunrise »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 06:42:49 AM »
Great list mate - never heard of  Iron Butterfly but the other bands  :tup   I've been meaning to play Blackout - I have it here somewhere but was put off by the fact I thought Animal Magnetism (prior) was dire.....aside from The Zoo.  Will have to grab it and have a listen.

Tsk,tsk - forgot your dates again - Big Hath will be on the warpath  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 07:03:19 AM »
Great list mate - never heard of  Iron Butterfly but the other bands  :tup   I've been meaning to play Blackout - I have it here somewhere but was put off by the fact I thought Animal Magnetism (prior) was dire.....aside from The Zoo.  Will have to grab it and have a listen.

Tsk,tsk - forgot your dates again - Big Hath will be on the warpath  ;D

Yeah... I wrote the synopsis at the same time as the first 5, forgot to add in the date.  Hopefully we'll be good from here on out... but who knows, I forget shit   :lol.  The Zoo is my top Scorps tune!  But yeah, the album doesn't have the legs that Blackout does.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 07:42:35 AM »
Blackout is  :hefdaddy

Kamelot got a bit too serious  for me. Loved Seige Perilous and Karma but after that they lost me a bit. Still some great songs in there but just too demanding to listen to a whole album's worth for me.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 07:55:24 AM »

Kamelot got a bit too serious  for me. Loved Seige Perilous and Karma but after that they lost me a bit. Still some great songs in there but just too demanding to listen to a whole album's worth for me.

Demanding?  Like, too serious or tedious?  Interesting.  I find that it flows pretty well, and I love the melodies on the album.  The interludes might seem a bit momentum killing at times to me, but otherwise I really like it.  It's always fun when you get turned onto a new band that has a decent size library.  Can't wait to hear their other stuff.  ;D

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 08:20:38 AM »

Demanding?  Like, too serious or tedious?  Interesting.  I find that it flows pretty well, and I love the melodies on the album.  The interludes might seem a bit momentum killing at times to me, but otherwise I really like it.  It's always fun when you get turned onto a new band that has a decent size library.  Can't wait to hear their other stuff.  ;D

Demanding really only in the sense of what I usually listen to (melodic hard rock mostly). And yes, I guess the seriousness of it.
I don't mind the interludes and I do like the album - just not all in one go. Khan has a great voice.
I'm listening to it now actually and I think I may be talking bollocks because I'm really enjoying it. Maybe it helps that I'm in a bad mood  :)

I think maybe my point was more how several albums all seemed very similar in tone.

The Black Halo is actually pretty awesome. I should listen to it more.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 08:44:31 AM »
 :biggrin:  Like I mentioned, I really can't wait to start exploring their library.  I hope, it doesn't seem tedious to me, like you and some others have mentioned.  It's also a shame about Kahn, I hope he's happy with his decision to leave the industry.  I guess he is...because he never came back.  :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 08:56:04 AM »
Their new vocalist (Tommy Karevik) actually sounds a lot like Khan on Silverthorn, their latest effort. I think it's the most perfect replacement they've got.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 09:24:46 AM »
Man I thought my list skewed classic rock.  :lol Good choices so far.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 09:35:29 AM »
Man I thought my list skewed classic rock.  :lol Good choices so far.

Just wait!   :lol  Seriously, looking at my list most of the 60's early 70's stuff is in the #25-50 part.  They're my roots.. so to speak.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 07:53:39 PM »
Wow, what a start to this list.  That's a top shelf first five.  Definitely following this.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2014, 08:18:32 AM »

#40  Steve Miller Band - Fly Like An Eagle

May 1976

I remember when this came out..... I remember hearing the title track on the radio 10+ times a day....LOL.  I've never owned any other Miller album, but I know he's highly regarded.  This album summed up another epic year in music, 1976.  If any year could give '67 a run for it's money it would probably be '76 or '91 in my book.

#39 Eagles -  Hotel California

December 8, 1976

Ahhhh...'76 again!  This was one of the rare albums that received plays from everyone in my family back then.  Which in itself was bizzare.  I remember the album playing constantly on our house stereo.  Even beyond the title track it's a very good record.  Well known tracks like New Kid in Town, Life in the Fast Lane, and Victim of Love help cement this albums place in history as one of the all time greats.

# 38 The Doors

January 1967

The Doors.... Jim Morrison.  Where do you start?  His haunting vocals and dark lyrics helped shape the landscape of Rock and Roll.  Add to that Ray Manzerek, John Densmore, and Robby Krieger and you have one of the most influential bands ever.  Remember, back in the 60's bands didn't have 50 years of past Rock to help shape their music.  THEY started it all.  Yes, there was rock the decade before, but it was very sterile  compared to what came with and after the British Invasion.  Call it chemically induced brilliance or whatever, you can't argue the diverse and creative music that came from this era.  The Doors, especially in the states, were at the forefront of that movement.  The Debut album is a masterpiece, just look at the strength in the  tracklist....  The End...everytime I hear the song and run it through my head, I envision Coppolla's Intro to Apocalypse Now.  Such a twisted, fitting song to match the dark times of the late 60's and early 70's.

Break on Through
Soul Kitchen
Crystal Ship
Light My Fire
Back Door Man
Alabama Song
The End

# 37 Ozzy Osbourne -  Blizzard of Ozz

September 18, 1980

I actually didn't hear this album till around 82.  I had heard Crazy Train and I don't know on the radio in '81, but I never made the connection between Ozzy, and the old singer for Black Sabbath.  I loved Sabbath, both old and new (Dio)  Just didn't hear the "Sabbath" in the radio singles I heard off of Blizzard.  I remember coming home to Cali in '82 and a friend of mine showing me the album and about how he was the old singer for Sabbath.  Well...the proverbial lightbulb went off in my head as I connected the sonic dots (Sabbath-Ozzy)....LOL.  Remember, back in the pre-internet days we didn't have the flood of information at our fingertips like we do now.  So unless you heard news on the Radio, in a magazine, or from a friend, you missed out.  So..I bought the album and really loved it.  Mr. Crowley struck a chord with me being a Zep fan, and knowing the Page/Crowley connection. The  rest of the album was just some great solid rock and roll, with a great sound...thanks in large part to the Rhoades/Ozzy dynamic.

# 36 Rage against the machine

November 3, 1992

I think I first heard this album around '93.  91-94 was just an epic time for music. So many new and great bands came out in that time frame.  With a fresh sound RATM just squared off and kicked you in the nutz.  Hard driving, no bullshit music.  A brilliant fusion of urban rap and metal.  I actually think I blew out one of my car speakers listening (Repeatedly) to this album.   I have HUGE regrets for not seeing this tour live.  I'll bet it kicked some serious ass!!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Crimson's Top 50 v. BAM! Weekend update 40-36
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2014, 08:28:27 AM »
Another goodun , although I never really got into much pre- 1978 growing up so my exposure to any of those albums was later in life and their overall influence on me diminished by that.

Blizzard Of Ozz I can relate to very much though  :tup

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2014, 08:43:52 AM »
Another goodun , although I never really got into much pre- 1978 growing up so my exposure to any of those albums was later in life and their overall influence on me diminished by that.

Blizzard Of Ozz I can relate to very much though  :tup

I understand that.  It's funny that as much as those pre-78's influenced the way my musical direction would go, I rarely spin one of those albums now.  With a couple exceptions higher on my list.  I guess the adage would be "too much music too little time".  Those albums were almost 40 years ago, and I've listened to a LOT of newer music since then.  Like I mentioned earlier, these are my roots, just like I guess they're the influences for bands I've listened to since then.  On a side note, as far as musical direction, mine took a sharp turn around '75.  Up until that time I was living in an area where funk, Motown and disco ruled.  Around '75 I really "Discovered" Rock and Roll and was yanked in that direction.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2014, 11:13:32 AM »
1976.  :metal

Enough said.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2014, 02:58:53 PM »
Hotel California made an early version of my top 50 but didn't quite make it in- its a great album.
Blizzard of Ozz too. I was never a fan of Ozzy era Sabbath but his first 4 solo albums are  :hefdaddy

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2014, 05:04:53 PM »
I should go back and listen to RATM's whole album.  I realize that I liked the songs they played on the radio, but never got around to the whole thing.

Doors is a great choice.  I'm surprised it isn't on more peoples' lists.  I think both Rage and The Doors have something going for them that their sounds are so recognizable and unique.

Hotel C is solid, but apart from a few songs I could never completely get into Steve Miller (and I admit the title track is my fav from him).  And I'm more into late 80's-early 90's Ozzie.  Not really a Rhodes fan.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2014, 07:31:49 PM »
Fuck yes Rage Against the Machine. So good music when angry!

Too bad that it's their only good album, but then, at least it's consistantly good.

Following, btw.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2014, 07:38:03 PM »
Sorry I'm late to the party, but DAYUM!  What a top 50 so far.  Pretty much flawless.

The Who are my 2nd favorite of the "Big 4"  Surprisingly enough, 2 of those "Big 4" bands don't even make my top 50 (oops...self spoiler...LOL)  ;)

I assume the Big 4 in your books is The Who, Stones, Beatles and Zeppelin?  I always like to think of a Big 5, and include Floyd.

1976.  :metal

Enough said.  :lol

1971 still kicks it's ass.   :biggrin:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2014, 04:49:39 AM »
Where the hell have I been.  Great start!  I feel much better seeing how diverse you are.  I've been thinking of doing a top 30 or 50 myself.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2014, 05:51:02 AM »
Where the hell have I been.  Great start!  I feel much better seeing how diverse you are.  I've been thinking of doing a top 30 or 50 myself.

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Crimson's Top 50 v. Anarchy in the DTF
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2014, 10:58:18 PM »

#35    Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols

October 27, 1977

In 1978 I moved to Huntington Beach, California.  Arguably  in the late 70's and early 80's, HB was the heart of the Punk scene on the west coast.  My high school, Hunt Beach High, and our rival Edison High, were hardcore Punk schools.  I remember in  '81 or '82 there was actually a huge story in Penthouse magazine about HB and the punk scene there.  The schools were polarized to 2 camps, the hippies, that's what the punkers called us even though we were just long haired rockers (Zep, VH, Sabbath).  And the Punkers.  At the time I was a hard core rocker, but was one of the few kids who really didn't have any problems having Punker friends.  Surfing was the biggest challenge in those days, trying to fit in on a break that was Punker ruled.  Luckily, because of some friendships I had..... It worked out for me and didn't get my ass whooped out in the water.  Those same friends exposed me to Punk, groups like the Pistols and Black Flag.  Never mind the Bullocks is  a milestone album in the world of rock music.  It's importance can not be overlooked.  They were the creators of a genre that would spawn other genres! Not many bands can claim that.   Their influence was as important and spanning as the British bands a decade or so before them.  Even though I lived the times, and was there front row and center ... I didn't see the importance or impact that this album would have on the music world for another decade.

Their isn't a bad song on this LP IMHO.  But these songs just can't be ignored.

Anarchy in the UK
Holidays in the Sun
Bodies
God Save the Queen
Submission
Pretty Vacant

#34     Symphony X -  Odyssey

November 4, 2002

This was my second SX album, the first being The New Mythology Suite.  While I enjoy the NMS, I wasn't really captured by the band till I heard The Odyssey.  The song, in the world of epics, is in the top 4 for me.  It is such a damn good composition, well written, and performed piece.  My only issue with SX overall, is Russell Allen.  I've never been a huge fan of vocalists who sing in that low of a range.  Mind you, he's very good, just not my cup of tea sometimes.  Because of that, I'm not as captured with a lot of SX's music.  The Odyssey is definitely the exception.  It's just ...grand?  It pulls at my emotional side, and takes hold of me with it's music and its telling of a great tale.  Who doesn't love the story in of itself?  I love music based on great literary works like this one.  Just like I love songs like The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner, or Xanadu.  This one flows with the story.  I remember seeing a vid on youtube where someone had synched it with the last movie made about the Odyssey, the one with Armand Assante.  Yeah...the movie was kinda cheesey, but the vid with the SX music was pretty damn cool!

#33     Jethro Tull aqualung

March 19, 1971

Ian Andersen, what a talented yet quirky individual.  He is such a unique individual in the world of rock and roll.  I've only owned 2 Tull albums in my life, Aqualung and Bursting Out.  But have heard most of his material over the years and have always been impressed by him.  Aqualung is an awesome album.  I know the band doesn't really acknowledge it as a concept album, but it sure seems like one with the religious overtones.  I guess I'd have to side with the band...seeing they wrote it...LOL.

Great tracks!!

Aqualung
Cross Eyed Mary
Locomotive Breath

and...

Hymn 43

If Jesus saves - well, He'd better save Himself
from the gory glory seekers who use His name in death.
Oh Jesus save me!

#32     Sixx AM - Heroin Diaries

September 18, 2007

A friend of mine was raving about this album when it came out.  I was like "Yeah..Yeah... it's Nikki Sixx..Motley Crue..boring...."  Boy was she right, and me dead wrong.  This album, besides being so well written and performed, really hit me hard.  I'm a recovering addict, and I got clean back in the mid 80's.  And while I can't relate to the crazy rock and roll world type parties/lifestyle Sixx endured, I know what the life of an addict can be.  I can relate to so many lyrical passages from this album, especially from "Life is Beautiful", "Pray for me" and especially "Courtesy Call".  I was never a Motley Crue fan, and didn't care for most of the Hair bands.  The music on this album is fantastic, that along with the powerful message and me being able to identify with it so much, makes it memorable.

#31     Judas Priest - Unleashed in the East

September 17, 1979

Ahhhh.... a Live album you say?  YUP!!!  While I can think of songs off of every pre-90 Priest album that I like, I think this album is my most loved and thus gets the nod.  This live album sounds so good, one of the best sounding live albums I've ever heard.  Add to that the track list and performance and WOW!  I saw them in '85 for the Screaming for Vengeance tour (front row) and it was a fantastic show.  But my favorite Priest material seems to be Pre-British Steel.  I like the 80's material, just not as much as stuff covered on Unleashed.

Exciter
Sinner
Diamonds and Rust (one of my favorite covers of all time)
Green Manaleshi
The Ripper
Victim of ChAAAAAAANGEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!! :metal :metal :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Crimson's Top 50 v. Anarchy in the DTF's.....
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2014, 11:04:12 PM »
Another very cool , eclectic bunch - as before I really don't have much experience of The Sex Pistols or Jethro Tull but the other bands are all highly rated by moi.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2014, 11:50:49 PM »
Unleashed in the East is one of the best live albums ever.  Ive heard there are studio touch ups, but its an amazing release regardless.  The Odyssey is my favorite release from SX.  Cool update.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2014, 06:00:21 AM »
Unleashed in the East is one of the best live albums ever.  Ive heard there are studio touch ups, but its an amazing release regardless.  The Odyssey is my favorite release from SX.  Cool update.

:lol  Yeah, just a few.  Terrific album though.

that SX is killer.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2014, 06:38:08 AM »
Odyssey is stellar.  1971 pops up again... aqualung is a great album. I messed out on Priest, and the whole 70s punk movement never appealed to me.  Think I might check out the Sixx album. Sounds intriguing.

Nice update.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: Crimson's Top 50 v. Anarchy in the Forums.....
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2014, 01:53:59 PM »
Seeing the title had me hoping for a Sex Pistols entry, but I kinda doubted it, considering I haven't really seen them mentioned on the forums at all. Glad to be wrong! NMTB, HTSP is a great album indeed, though I have to be in a certain mood to enjoy it.

The others are cool too, though I think that on The Odyssey the title track kinda overshadows the other songs when the album is talked about, and undeservedly so. Yeah, it's cool, but so are the other tracks, and I rarely see them mentioned. Especially Awakenings and Accolade II are really great and yet, they stand unjustly ignored next to the title track.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2014, 08:24:29 AM »
Thanks for all the comment's so far!  If my choices point someone in a new direction...then it's mission accomplished!  That's the best part I get from reading everyone else's Top 50's!

Another very cool , eclectic bunch - as before I really don't have much experience of The Sex Pistols or Jethro Tull but the other bands are all highly rated by moi.

The Pistols have their time and place to listen to like someone mentioned.  Tull is so unique, try this one....a great sampling of Tull's style, flare, and musicianship (really get's rockin around the 4 min mark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CPqcZGLsmU

Odyssey is stellar.  1971 pops up again... aqualung is a great album. I messed out on Priest, and the whole 70s punk movement never appealed to me.  Think I might check out the Sixx album. Sounds intriguing.

Nice update.

Like I mentioned, I really didn't appreciate the significance of NMTB's until many years later, I was accepted by the punkers I grew up with, but was still a rocker.  Here's a good taster of the Sixx album, track 1,  it's worth a listen for sure :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opLd1kLpawQ

Seeing the title had me hoping for a Sex Pistols entry, but I kinda doubted it, considering I haven't really seen them mentioned on the forums at all. Glad to be wrong! NMTB, HTSP is a great album indeed, though I have to be in a certain mood to enjoy it.

The others are cool too, though I think that on The Odyssey the title track kinda overshadows the other songs when the album is talked about, and undeservedly so. Yeah, it's cool, but so are the other tracks, and I rarely see them mentioned. Especially Awakenings and Accolade II are really great and yet, they stand unjustly ignored next to the title track.

Don't get me wrong, I like the rest of the album quite a bit, it's just the title track is SO awesome to me.  :biggrin:  Yeah...when I'm in the mood I love spinning some Pistols or Dead Kennedy's  :tup

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Crimson's Top 50 v. Bring on some Angst!!
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2014, 09:37:04 AM »

#30     4 Non Blondes -  Bigger Better Faster More

Love this album!  But mostly, I just love Linda Perry's vocals.  Talk about sheer vocal power.  Don't get me wrong, the music is phenomenal also...but her belting it out makes a good rock album into a great one.  From the intro of "Train" on...this album just rocks, plain and simple.  It's a damn shame they were so seemingly disfunctional and never really got going past this album.  Perry now writes and produces for some of the best female artists in Pop.  The rest of the band kinda fell off the edge of the earth.

Fav Tracks.....

Train
Superfly
Calling all the People
Morphine and Chocolate

#29      Deep Purple - Machine Head

March 1972

Deep Purple, but more specifically, the Mark II line up of DP, was just epic.  Ian Gillan, Ritchie Blackmore, Roger Glover, Ian Pace and the late, great, Jon Lord.  Machine Head is undeniably the bands biggest success, and most recognizable record.  This is another instance though where I could use a live album.  Made In Japan was just an astounding live album that embodied the Mark II line up so well.  But it's Machine Head that spawned that tour, it's success and brilliance cemented it as one of the most classic rock albums of all time.  Now, I still loved DP's other lineups, but to me none had the impact of the Mark II crew.

Highway Star
Lazy
Smoke on the Water
Space Truckin
Pictures at Home

#28      Dio -  Last in Line

July 13, 1984

By the time this album came out, I was in full Dio mode.  Having discovered Rainbow and Sabbath (H&H) back in '81, I was primed for this epic release.  While Holy Diver is widely considered the better of the 2 albums, I enjoyed LIL just a tad more.  I was definitely  a Vivian Campbell fan, the best of all the Dio guitarists in my book.  After LIL, Dio (solo) kinda lost me.  The music was too simplistic, basic metal kinda stuff.  The only later Dio of any kind that I listened to was Dehumanizer (Sabbath '92)

#27    Styx -  Pieces of Eight

September 1, 1978

Another tough choice, Pieces of Eight or Grand Illusion.  Both fantastic albums....but in true Highlander fashion ..."There can only be one!!"  Here was another album that I really grew up with.  It had the biggest impact and stuck with me more than any other Styx album.  Although, on most other 70's Styx LP's there are numerous songs I really dig, like Suite Madam Blue for example.

#26     Seven Mary Three -  American Standard

September 5, 1995

Another power vocalist in Jason Ross.  This is one of those fun albums that I really never get tired of.  The melodies and vocals just kick ass!  These guys also really didn't last long.  They were on the tail end of the grunge movement, and mellowed out after American Standard.  Which meant, they lost me...LOL.  Another band similar who did the same thing was Dishwalla.  Loved their first couple LP's then they went all soft rock on me...DOH!  Some of the great tracks on this one...

Cumbersome (biggest hit)
Waters Edge  (my Fav)
My, My
Devil Boy