Author Topic: DELAIN  (Read 31309 times)

Offline PetFish

Re: DELAIN
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2014, 09:18:17 PM »
We Are The Others and Interlude are my favourites.  I just can't dig into the others for some reason.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2014, 10:14:45 AM »
April Rain is great, but they still hadn't found their sound yet. Way better than Lucidity and I only recommend that one for completists. It has some good songs, but it's overall pretty boring. April Rain improved upon it and thankfully the songs became energetic and not boring. The first 2 albums sound very cold. I'm glad their sound got beefier.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2014, 12:30:48 PM »
I'm not so sure what I like the most between april rain, we are the others, and the human contradiction.  All three very solid.

Offline mrrct

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2015, 08:32:03 AM »
I have the last 3, We Are the Others, Interlude, and The Human Contradiction.  Obviously, Delain's very similar to Within Temptation, with the two bands' masterminds being brothers. Delain's music if anything might be a little "safer" than WT's, in the sense that they never go completely off the rails (Xzibit, anyone?).  I also like the fact that Charlotte doesn't attempt to be a Tarja clone like so many of the female singers in the genre, probably due to the fact that she grew up singing jazz and pop. She also comes off very likable and down to earth in interviews, and the fortunate people on this thread who have met her say the same things.

WATO and THC are both solid albums IMHO, with only a few duds sprinkled among the two of them.  Interlude is an interesting compilation album. There are a couple of re-worked songs, a much slower WATO which is worse than the sing-song original, and a just barely different Are You Done with Me (stronger backup vocals, I think.)  There are some pretty strong live tracks, although if you listen to some of the songs individually they are cut up rather oddly, with music from the previous song still playing at the start of a new one, etc.  There are also some outside the box cover songs, from bands like Talk Talk and Dresden Dolls, and a Cranberries b-side.  Interlude also comes with a bonus DVD (regional code 0, unfortunately, so I have to play it on my computer) that includes some of their old videos and behind the scenes footage.

I haven't bought L or AR yet, mainly because I haven't seen either of them in stores since I've become a fan of the band, and L is probably obscure enough that I probably never will, unless the band has a breakout like WT or Nightwish and their older albums get re-released.  The two albums are available on iTunes, where I've downloaded a few of their songs (the ones that still make their setlists, like Pristine, Sleepwalker's Dream, AR, and Go Away).  L has two versions of a song called No Compliance, the main one being a duet between Sharon den Adel and Marco Hietala, while the bonus version has Charlotte singing instead of the other two.  Even though I normally like Sharon slightly more than Charlotte, I like the latter version better because Sharon reverted to her Enter/The Dance/Mother Earth banshee mode for this song, which is sometimes pretty jarring to listen to, while Charlotte sang it smoothly like she does anything else.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2015, 07:42:58 PM »
My ranking:

The Human Contradiction
April Rain
Interlude
Lucidity
We Are The Others

Their newest album is easily my favorite.  It's a close call between April Rain and Interlude.  Although Interlude has only a handful of new original songs, I think they're all pretty brilliant. 

I see a lot of love for We Are The Others.  I like it, don't get me wrong, but it's really the only album that has songs that I skip, so that makes it at the bottom for me.  That being said, "Get the Devil Out of Me" and "Mother Machine" are amongst my fav Delain songs, so by no means do I say it's a bad album.

And I actually really like Lucidity.  I've been digging that sound and also getting into early Within Temptation lately.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2015, 11:00:29 AM »
For the Charlotte fans this might be of interest:

https://label.napalmrecords.com/blog/?entryID=510

We are proud to announce Phantasma, the new Symphonic Rock musical of Charlotte Wessels (Delain), Georg Neuhauser (Serenity) and Oliver Philipps (Everon), to be produced by Napalm Records.

And ehhh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFmpXlyJyrM

No clue what to expect to be honest. I stumbled upon this when googling Serenity. But hey, I like rock musicals so they have my attention  :D

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2015, 10:04:00 PM »
Feast your ears on this instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=2&v=KC3MIbs36IY

Very interested in this one.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline PetFish

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2015, 12:25:20 AM »
Thanks, ErHaO, but that quite possibly could be the most vague teaser ever, not your fault.

The jingle.boy link has me definitely interested.  I'm not huge into symphonic metal but I do love Delain so I'll check this out more when it's released.

On a side note... these lyric videos people are making these days are ridiculously good, man.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2015, 06:33:11 AM »
Thanks, ErHaO, but that quite possibly could be the most vague teaser ever, not your fault.

The jingle.boy link has me definitely interested.  I'm not huge into symphonic metal but I do love Delain so I'll check this out more when it's released.

On a side note... these lyric videos people are making these days are ridiculously good, man.

Heh, I know. When I posted there was still no music to be found aside from that odd "teaser", but the track Jingle posted is nice. Definitely interested in the full album.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2015, 07:57:30 AM »
Thanks for sharing, not bad but not really grabbing me by the balls either.  I'd be interested to hear more.  Didn't realize Charlotte wrote the novella that the album is based on, that seems interesting.

Code: [Select]
It is therefore not only surprising, but also gratifying that Charlotte now even found some leisure time, to lend not only her voice to PHANTASMA but also her debut novella ‘The Deviant Hearts - which was written especially for the project.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2015, 05:35:53 PM »
My ranking would be:

We Are The Others
The Human Contradiction
April Rain
Lucidity

Are You Done With Me is my favorite Delain song. I love me some Pop Rock/Metal. It could have been a big hit if they were on the right label.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2015, 07:05:38 PM »
Are You Done With Me is my favorite Delain song. I love me some Pop Rock/Metal. It could have been a big hit if they were on the right label.

Possibly, I personally don't like it as much as you but I see what you mean where it could have been a hit.

Offline mrrct

« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2015, 03:08:52 PM »
I just read on their website that they've made Merel Bechtold a permanent member of the band.  She has substituted for Timo Somers various times when he was involved in other projects and has played side by side with him a few times.  Now that they're a two-guitar band, I hope that their music will be a little more aggressive, but since both are involved with several different projects, I wouldn't be too shocked if they end up using only one of them at any one time.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2015, 03:22:22 PM »
But that makes no sense really if they want to be a serious band, which I get the feeling they do want since they are touring the world not just locally.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2015, 12:57:44 PM »
New Phantasma video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZwU-7J_Hkc

Not too fond of Charlotte's opening verses on first listen ... but the music and chorus' were great, and I love Georg's voice to begin with.

Looking forward to this
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2015, 03:05:43 PM »
I didn't care for the verses much either. I want to like this project, but so far not a whole lot impressed me.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2015, 09:35:18 AM »
I didn't care for the verses much either. I want to like this project, but so far not a whole lot impressed me.

Aaaaaaaaaaannd this album is excellent. I must have listened to it about ten times now. The first couple times I wasn't quite feeling it, but it suddenly clicked. Great great album. Bought the deluxe yesterday, and might get the earbook if it's still available.

Definitely check this one out. The album was mostly written by Charlotte. I'm not really a Serenity fan, but the singer does a great job as do the other vocalists. I wouldn't really call the album Symphonic Metal. It has elements, but it's actually closer to AOR.

The Deviant Hearts > The Human Contradiction

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2015, 10:36:50 AM »
Absolutely.  I love Georg as a vocalist to begin with.  This is a fabulous album - though, I've only listened to it once, seeing as how it's only 2 days old.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2015, 09:07:12 PM »
I like what I hear so far from this!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2015, 02:05:22 AM »
Yes, I heard some of it and am impressed! Will definately check it out in full later, but man this year is stuffed with great music.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2015, 08:24:56 AM »
I wasn't impressed with the videos, but maybe I will check this out since I do like the genre of music and I do like Charlotte/Delain.  Should give it more of a shot than a couple listens of the singles I think.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2015, 09:49:28 PM »
Got my earbook today of The Deviant Hearts. It's my first earbook, and it's gorgeous. Very high quality. Pretty obsessed with the album too.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2015, 09:20:33 PM »
The Deviant Hearts is pretty good.... But I'm more excited about 2016. On their website they've announced a new EP to be released in February and I'm assuming a full length album likely later in the year (mentions in the band bio section).

Offline PetFish

« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2015, 01:50:45 AM »
Got my earbook today of The Deviant Hearts. It's my first earbook, and it's gorgeous. Very high quality. Pretty obsessed with the album too.

No idea what an earbook is.  Am I lame?

The Deviant Hearts is amazing.  I'm all over "Let It Die", the chorus gives me chills, and same with "Carry Me Home".

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2015, 05:28:22 AM »
Yeah, it's excellent alright.  I'm especially partial to Enter Dreamscape, and Englund's guest appearance.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2015, 07:45:31 AM »

No idea what an earbook is.  Am I lame?

The Deviant Hearts is amazing.  I'm all over "Let It Die", the chorus gives me chills, and same with "Carry Me Home".

You don't know what an earbook is?! You.... Pet... Dick!

I didn't either for the longest time. Basically it's an LP sized digibook that comes with 3 CDs. This particular one has the audiobook of The Deviant Hearts read by Charlotte. That makes up the additional 2 CDs. It's pretty neat.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2015, 10:00:33 PM »
Rush me to the burn unit!   :flame:

Thanks, I've never heard of or even seen an earbook, they sound neat.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2016, 08:21:57 PM »
Ok, Phantasma's "Deviant Hearts" is still kicking my ass.

Let It Die
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZwU-7J_Hkc

Miserable Me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTZTA3oe_U0

Enter Dreamscape
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC3MIbs36IY

No videos for my Carry Me Home or The Sound of Fear though.  :(

I know they're ESL but it's really tough to get by how they say "the" as "de" when it's so prominent in some areas, especially the quiet passaged.  Meh, adds some character to the vocals.  :)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2016, 08:47:15 AM »
New Delain!

https://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=119572

SUCKERPUNCH Audio Premiere!
Today, we release the first track off "Lunar Prelude": an upbeat fight song about facing your demons and taking them on. Don't let them weigh you down! We hope you will enjoy "Suckerpuch", listen to it here:
https://smarturl.it/SuckerpunchAudio
A video release for "SUCKERPUNCH" will follow soon!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2016, 09:33:16 AM »
Their new guitarist looks like she's 12.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2016, 09:39:36 AM »
Their new guitarist looks like she's 12.

She does lol

Get out of my dreams!  Solid song.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2016, 01:49:08 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmo06CrXP4M

New Music Video for Suckerpunch, I am enjoying this song.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2016, 12:56:00 AM »
Yep, cool song, I just love their sound.  I like how they put out these in-betweener albums.

But... I still can't stop slobbering all over this Phantasma thing.  "Try" has been kicking my ass for two weeks now.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2016, 06:40:37 AM »
Has anyone heard if the two new songs will also be released on the new album? Trying to decide if it's worth buying the EP or just waiting.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2016, 06:17:43 PM »
Not sure if EP songs will be on next album... But man am I digging the new song.  Delain is seriously one of my top 5 bands.  Kicking myself for not seeing them in concert.  But I don't live near a major US city so it's quite an undertaking to actually see them.