Author Topic: DELAIN  (Read 31403 times)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: DELAIN
« Reply #245 on: November 07, 2021, 06:29:30 PM »
Ad Infinitum - Alright, nothing stands out to me after a couple songs but will keep them on the "bands I need to check out because dtf.org" list. 

Scardust - See Ad Infinitum above.

Have you heard Ad Infinitum's "Unstoppable"?  That one of the singles for the new album, and I haven't been able to get it out of my head for weeks.  Nuclear-grade catchiness.  "Maleficent" is probably my favorite from the debut, or maybe "Fire and Ice".  Scardust is trickier, they're kind of all over the place, so it could take a few listens for anything to stick out. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #246 on: November 07, 2021, 09:28:43 PM »
Thanks! I like that Ad Infinitum song more than the other ones I stumbled upon when I searched them.

I am trying not to have unrealistic expectations when it comes to new bands, hoping to find that sound I have never heard before, like when I first heard Pull Me Under in 1993, or 2112 when everyone else was listening to this new sound called Grunge. Often I hear something cool and think "well, that just sounds like Band XYZ...." which should be ok if I like Band XYZ. It's not like I can have too much stuff I enjoy listening to, right?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #247 on: November 07, 2021, 09:44:54 PM »
Yeah, when you've heard thousands of albums, every new artist you hear sounds like a slight tweak on some combination of a few other albums you've already heard.  But for sometimes rather inexplicable reasons, every now and then a new band (or at least new to you) just hits the spot, and that's the sort of thing I live for. 

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #248 on: November 07, 2021, 11:25:35 PM »
Yeah, or their first album.  They are my favorite newer symphonic metal band.  My second favorite is probably Eleine, who are a bit more aggressive and with more power metal traits.  There's also Scardust for an even more aggressive, proggier take on the genre, or Unlucky Morpheus for a Japanese version, though they aren't quite as new.

Their debut album showed potential with a few good songs, but I didn't see Chapter II being quite this good, where I think all the songs are good and Animals, Unstoppable, Inferno, Wallachia and My Justice are great.

Seven Spires are my favourite new Symphonic band Adrienne Cowan is a genuine star.  Their new album 'Gods of Debauchery' is my favourite album of the year, and one of the very best of the millennium, there are more harsh vocals than I normally want, but this is the first album where I really get them (probably help Adrienne sings them).

I quite like Scardust too, although for me 'Strangers' didn't quite live up to their debut.  Not heard of Eleine, will check them out.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #249 on: November 08, 2021, 08:19:14 AM »
Yeah, or their first album.  They are my favorite newer symphonic metal band.  My second favorite is probably Eleine, who are a bit more aggressive and with more power metal traits.  There's also Scardust for an even more aggressive, proggier take on the genre, or Unlucky Morpheus for a Japanese version, though they aren't quite as new.

Their debut album showed potential with a few good songs, but I didn't see Chapter II being quite this good, where I think all the songs are good and Animals, Unstoppable, Inferno, Wallachia and My Justice are great.

Seven Spires are my favourite new Symphonic band Adrienne Cowan is a genuine star.  Their new album 'Gods of Debauchery' is my favourite album of the year, and one of the very best of the millennium, there are more harsh vocals than I normally want, but this is the first album where I really get them (probably help Adrienne sings them).

I quite like Scardust too, although for me 'Strangers' didn't quite live up to their debut.  Not heard of Eleine, will check them out.

I'll check out Seven Spires at some point.  I thought they were more like death metal though than symphonic.  They are opening for Dragonforce and Battle Beast this winter which I may go to because I like Battle Beast a lot.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #250 on: November 08, 2021, 06:44:43 PM »
I really wish Charlotte would retire the nose ring.

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #251 on: November 09, 2021, 01:41:12 AM »

I'll check out Seven Spires at some point.  I thought they were more like death metal though than symphonic.  They are opening for Dragonforce and Battle Beast this winter which I may go to because I like Battle Beast a lot.

Not really, there are some elements - but their sound is quite mixed.  On their latest album they have a 10 minute epic featuring Roy Khan, a 3 minute pop song, one that sounds like Dimmu Borgir and another that could be something Adele would sing.  Along with traditional symphonic/power sounds.

3 minute pop song...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_42HNyRUck

Roy KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_oNGHqOxBU

This is off their previous album (which is also brilliant).  Just a great Symphonic track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJAfvnj-4Nk

« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 01:54:55 AM by soupytwist »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: November 09, 2021, 10:05:38 AM »
Oh yeah, not what I was expected.  Pretty solid  :yarr

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #253 on: November 09, 2021, 02:56:43 PM »
Seven Spires hasn't clicked for me yet, but that characterization makes me want to relisten to those tracks again. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: November 11, 2021, 08:50:14 PM »
* Doesn't know anything about Seven Spires. Checks their website.

Seven Spires is an American metal quartet specializing in melancholic tales and tenebrous grandeur. Part bittersweet melodic metal anthems, part apocalyptic melodic death and black metal, and part Romantic Classical poets, they are storytellers who draw from across the traditional spectrum of metal and beyond to weave tragedies of demons, death, love, and the peculiarities of human condition.

That could be the greatest description for a band I've ever read.

This thread is now about bands potentially better than Delain who are actually still intact.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #255 on: November 11, 2021, 09:55:47 PM »
Well, it kind of depends on what it is you like about Delain.  Nightwish is still around, but I don't like them nearly as much, especially the last few, which have been kind of mediocre and a poor use of Floor's abilities.  Within Temptation too, similar story.  Ditto Sirenia.  Epica is still pretty decent, though I'm also not as into them as others seem to be.  Edenbridge is still around and good, but not necessarily better.  The Dark Element is great, though more power-oriented.  Visions of Atlantis too, though a bit weaker.  Annette Olzon's solo project this year is pretty great.  Some love Temperance, Blackbriar, Ancient Bards, and Beyond the Black, they're alright. 

Then there are a thousand other symphonic bands, most of which aren't nearly as good, or I haven't familiarized myself enough with them to be sure.  If you want something slightly different, there's dozens of different paths to take.  My favorite is the other Within Temptation offshoot from their former drummer Ivar de Graaf, Kingfisher Sky.  They're much less symphonic and more proggy and folky in a more melancholic way, but I like them better than pretty much anyone else in this thread. 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 12:50:27 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: November 11, 2021, 10:09:18 PM »
Then there are a thousand other symphonic bands, most of which aren't nearly as good, or I haven't familiarized myself enough with them to be sure.

It seems like every time I aim to check one out, there are five more I am recommended or read about on this forum. I can't keep up.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: November 17, 2021, 08:08:35 AM »
* Doesn't know anything about Seven Spires. Checks their website.

Seven Spires is an American metal quartet specializing in melancholic tales and tenebrous grandeur. Part bittersweet melodic metal anthems, part apocalyptic melodic death and black metal, and part Romantic Classical poets, they are storytellers who draw from across the traditional spectrum of metal and beyond to weave tragedies of demons, death, love, and the peculiarities of human condition.

That could be the greatest description for a band I've ever read.

This thread is now about bands potentially better than Delain who are actually still intact.

Just to note this, Delain actually still exist and are working on a new album.  It's just not the same band anymore.  In fact, it actually seems like it's the original line up minus Charlotte.  Which actually makes me think there's potential for them to release a solid album albeit not the same without Charlotte. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #258 on: November 17, 2021, 01:28:00 PM »
Yeah, but Charlotte was the most unique thing about them.  The other band members were more replaceable than her, and I preferred Timo's contributions to Ronald's.  Now I don't know whether they're going to be the next Nightwish, or the next Sirenia, Xandria, or Visions of Atlantis. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: November 17, 2021, 01:31:34 PM »
Yeah, I do agree but if Martin writes good songs, maybe they can still make good music with a new voice.  Just really saying that Delain as a band, isn't actually over. 

Also, I would say Delain was already bigger and better than all those bands besides Nightwish.  It's up to whether this new version of the band can continue with that success if they will stay that way.  I doubt they even get bigger than Nightwish though.  And I kind of doubt they find as much success as they once did, but who knows.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: November 17, 2021, 11:36:44 PM »
I was being a bit silly. I know Delain still exists, but I did not know they were actively doing anything at this time.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #261 on: November 18, 2021, 06:30:20 AM »
I remain surprised Charlotte, Otto, Timo and Joey didn't try to keep the momentum going by forming their own new band. I reckon about 99% of Delain fans would have made the transition.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: November 18, 2021, 07:42:39 AM »
I remain surprised Charlotte, Otto, Timo and Joey didn't try to keep the momentum going by forming their own new band. I reckon about 99% of Delain fans would have made the transition.

Probably because Joey and Merel already had their own band going before the Delain break up and Charlotte was already doing her solo thing once the pandemic hit. 

But it would be cool if they all got back together.  I'd check out whatever band they could potentially form.  I just have no interest in the Charlotte solo stuff.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #263 on: November 18, 2021, 08:16:10 AM »
I'd love a new Phantasma.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: November 18, 2021, 08:22:39 AM »

Yeah, I second that. The first one had some really good songs.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #265 on: November 18, 2021, 03:31:38 PM »
Yeah, I do agree but if Martin writes good songs, maybe they can still make good music with a new voice.  Just really saying that Delain as a band, isn't actually over. 

Also, I would say Delain was already bigger and better than all those bands besides Nightwish.  It's up to whether this new version of the band can continue with that success if they will stay that way.  I doubt they even get bigger than Nightwish though.  And I kind of doubt they find as much success as they once did, but who knows.

This kind of music is so vocally-dependent, that's going to be the linchpin.  There are some phenomenal singers that aren't with a band currently, but I assume they've probably retired from the industry, which is pretty common for a lot of women sometime in their 30s.  Maybe Martijn will find someone undiscovered.  I also highly doubt they'll achieve the popularity of Nightwish, I just meant that Nightwish currently has arguably the best vocalist they've ever had, though I think the songwriting and utilization of her talents has fallen way off. 

Offline PetFish

« Reply #266 on: November 18, 2021, 10:47:22 PM »

Yeah, I second that. The first one had some really good songs.

Third.  What an amazing concept album.

HOWEVER, I wish Charlotte didn't do that cheesy/whiny thing at the beginning of a word where she starts really high-pitched and squeaky for a micro-second before landing on the intended pitch that vocalists do for emphasis.  Not sure if I'm explaining it right.  She also does it at the end of words.

"Carry Me Home" is a good example where she uses it a lot:

"Carry me Home on the wings of the night, carry me home, may our spirits unite."

It's ok in moderation but she does it way too much.

I think my favorite song is "Try" and it's not even Charlotte.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: November 19, 2021, 08:01:20 AM »
I wish she used more operatic (I think) approach like she did in the chorus of Enter Dreamscape, or if we're talking Delain, Turn the Lights Out. But I don't care as long as the songs are good.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #268 on: November 19, 2021, 03:48:02 PM »
I wouldn't call that operatic.  Part of the reason I like her so much is that she's not operatic.  Symphonic metal is filled with vocalists failing to emulate Tarja.  A few are really good at it (Floor, Simone, for example), but most come across as generic.  Charlotte sounds like no one else, it's not operatic, it's not rock, it's not quite ethereal, it's not overly poppy, though it has hints of all of those, it's just Charlotte. 

Offline PetFish

« Reply #269 on: November 19, 2021, 06:32:20 PM »
I wouldn't call that operatic.  Part of the reason I like her so much is that she's not operatic.  Symphonic metal is filled with vocalists failing to emulate Tarja.  A few are really good at it (Floor, Simone, for example), but most come across as generic.  Charlotte sounds like no one else, it's not operatic, it's not rock, it's not quite ethereal, it's not overly poppy, though it has hints of all of those, it's just Charlotte.

I agree.  I don't really care for operatic vocals.

Also, I played the entire Deviant Hearts today and it's actually "Carry Me Home" that has the best examples of what I was bitching about.

What a great freakin' album.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: June 13, 2022, 11:09:55 AM »
So Delain have been announced as a band to play Progpower next year, they just released this new snip of music featuring the unknown new singer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBFULZ87avA

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #271 on: June 13, 2022, 11:39:42 AM »
She sounds ok in the clips so far, but "ok-sounding" singers are a dime a dozen in their style.  Charlotte was really unique.  Kind of interesting for them to play ProgPower since they are neither prog nor power, but I suppose it's a really broad tent at this point and I imagine they've had plenty of other styles over the years. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: June 13, 2022, 11:59:02 AM »
Not too far off from power metal though, they definitely are a fit for the festival IMO.  But I agree about the singer.  Also it's like an entirely different band.  I guess if the main writer is still the guy, then maybe the music will still be good but I'm really not sure what to think until we hear more.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #273 on: June 13, 2022, 12:24:33 PM »
I mean they're kind of the definition of symphonic metal.  Nightwish blurred the boundaries because they started out as both, but mostly shed the power side over time.  For some reason some people still call them power metal even now, so I think this confuses things.  But Delain rarely has anything uptempo for very long to fit with most Euro power bands, nor the thrash influences to fit with USPM bands.  They only really work in that scanning past artists, it looks to have been a bit of a catchall modern melodious metal fest with a few other non-prog/power artists like Hypocrisy and Leaves' Eyes.  I guess also the trend of more midtempo bands like Sabaton also muddies the waters, they're sort of more just epic heavy metal, but it's all sort of semantics anyway and I doubt bookers really care. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: June 13, 2022, 08:57:22 PM »
Well, audio aside, I certainly liked what I saw.  :) Will look forward to hearing more.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #275 on: June 14, 2022, 05:18:18 AM »
Apparently Martijn has abandoned his previously announced "project" format, and the new Delain is going to be an actual band. The new singer is Glennis Grace,  a Dutch soul singer who was a finalist on America's Got Talent a few years back. She seems an odd choice, but I'm sure she's up to it. Charlotte will be a hard act to follow, mind, not least because she brought authenticity, and whether the fans will take to the new line up or not is a different question.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: June 14, 2022, 07:44:25 AM »
They definitely have their work cut out for them to regain the fan base.  Not everyone is open to checking out the new version of the band because of their love for the other former musicians. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #277 on: June 14, 2022, 09:06:17 AM »
Apparently Martijn has abandoned his previously announced "project" format, and the new Delain is going to be an actual band. The new singer is Glennis Grace,  a Dutch soul singer who was a finalist on America's Got Talent a few years back. She seems an odd choice, but I'm sure she's up to it. Charlotte will be a hard act to follow, mind, not least because she brought authenticity, and whether the fans will take to the new line up or not is a different question.

Did you recognize her voice? Apparently her name did come up as a guess on one of the social media sites.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #278 on: June 14, 2022, 01:10:45 PM »
They definitely have their work cut out for them to regain the fan base.  Not everyone is open to checking out the new version of the band because of their love for the other former musicians. 

It just kind of depends on what the focus of the band is.  Some can get away with a rotating cast because there's a synergy effect in play, or if at least the main songwriter is intact and hires competent performers, everything will go more or less ok.  Bands revolving around the main vocalist are often the hardest, and even though it was "Martijn's band", Charlotte had been the face of it for 16 years, and while maybe not Halford or Dickinson level iconic, she'd definitely developed a fair amount of stature.  Of course, you could have said similar things about Tarja, and I'm not sure exactly how a poll would break down, but Floor has been proof of concept that it is possible to develop an arguably equal, possibly even greater fanbase as a replacement (though she had a heck of a head start).

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #279 on: June 17, 2022, 07:07:01 AM »
I think I'm right in saying Charlotte was involved in the writing process, whereas the Nightwish singers generally weren't/haven't?