Author Topic: DELAIN  (Read 31263 times)

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
Re: DELAIN
« Reply #175 on: June 21, 2019, 06:59:45 AM »
I always hated the way Nightwish used to have Tarja's mic and stand match whatever she was wearing. That said, I don't much like JLB's robot hand/skull mic stand on this tour either. It's better than those papier-mâché ants they had a few years back, mind...

Oh man...that was pretty embarrassing, looking back.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #176 on: June 21, 2019, 08:00:41 AM »
Huh, I didn't think people were averse to that. I love when they coordinate things like that, and I love singers who have custom mic stands, and when they bring out album-specific decorations for the stage on that tour, like the ants.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: June 21, 2019, 08:06:22 AM »
Huh, I didn't think people were averse to that. I love when they coordinate things like that, and I love singers who have custom mic stands, and when they bring out album-specific decorations for the stage on that tour, like the ants.

Yea, I'm surprised people take issue with such things.  I mean, I get it if you don't like Ghost's gimmick, but like matching clothes and mic stands seems pretty normal for bands especially bands that are bigger like Nightwish.  I don't think I ever noticed any color coordination with Delain though?  I literally just watched their latest blu-ray while exercising this week too. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #178 on: June 21, 2019, 10:29:27 AM »
Iced Earth had matching outfits back in 2011-2012 when Stu Block joined. It was pretty silly. Synchronized hair twirling is also pretty silly, but I'm not gonna hate on them for trying to entertain.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: June 21, 2019, 10:33:38 AM »
Edguy always does this unison dance type thing during Lavatory Love Machine. Moments like that I love. 3:10 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkZfLOlMok0

But I recall Iced Earth all wearing all denim some years ago and holy crap that was hard to look at.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #180 on: June 21, 2019, 04:04:24 PM »
I love outfit themes.  They're like uniforms.  It's all part of the show.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: June 21, 2019, 04:16:29 PM »
I genuinely really like the color coded outfits for Twisted Sister.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: June 22, 2019, 09:08:58 AM »
They are like power rangers.  Sometimes its a bit much, like Slipknot is really over the top IMO but it's part of their style so you either accept it or you don't but I usually let the music judge that part.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #183 on: June 23, 2019, 10:31:06 AM »
It's not just the outfits. It's white mic-stands, white keyboardstands, white drum-stands, whatever, to each his/her own, I guess.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #184 on: September 27, 2019, 10:18:58 AM »
New song: Burning Bridges

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=OpJ1ma3I0Ag

Chorus is... Eh, but the rest of the song is pretty cool.

Am I the only one who just doesn't care for music videos at all? And for whatever reason, lyric videos seem to ruin a song for me. Maybe it's just the ones with not so good lyrics, but I don't like lyric videos either.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: September 27, 2019, 10:50:48 AM »
I've been listening all week to the live version I recorded https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5si4gilcZbI

It's a solid Delain song, nice to hear the studio version

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #186 on: September 27, 2019, 05:41:48 PM »
Wow.  I didn't think I was going to buy a ticket for under $40.00 for the Delain/Amorphis/Anneke van Giersbergen show in Anaheim, but I found one on Stubhub.  Would have costed me $42.78, but I found that I had a coupon on Stubhub for $5.00 off that expires on 10/07 which meant I paid $37.78.  So I'm quite pleased with how that turned out.  Now to get into all of these bands' music to get ready for the show two weeks from today.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #187 on: September 27, 2019, 08:35:06 PM »
Meh.

I'm not feeling their more recent stuff at all.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: September 27, 2019, 09:20:16 PM »
Something is missing in this video.... oh yes, the cute short guitarist is gone  :'(

Pretty good song, yeah the chorus isn't pretty "eh."

Still don't know why DT can't make a video like this. It can't cost that much money to go to some cool spot with a couple of cameras and spend a day going through the song to get all the necessary shots, can it?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline PetFish

« Reply #189 on: September 27, 2019, 10:14:31 PM »
Still don't know why DT can't make a video like this. It can't cost that much money to go to some cool spot with a couple of cameras and spend a day going through the song to get all the necessary shots, can it?

No kidding.  I'm tired of lyric videos and the cgi-landscape ones they've been releasing for DoT.  DT are known for their playing and people want to see it.  I mean, even just them in a room like Gift of Music or Looking Glass is all we need.

I'll volunteer to edit the footage cuz I just got a gnarly new rig to do shit on.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #190 on: September 30, 2019, 02:50:43 AM »
New song: Burning Bridges

It's good, but it doesn't grab me. Still stoked for the new album tho  :metal
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: November 15, 2019, 08:15:57 AM »
New song One Second video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia-NxsV4XqU

:metal :metal

awesome song and Timo on vocals?!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: November 29, 2019, 09:22:32 AM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/delain-to-release-apocalypse-chill-album-in-february/

Dutch symphonic metallers DELAIN will release their new full-length album, "Apocalypse & Chill", on February 7, 2020 via Napalm Records. The disc explores topics of impending doom and human indifference, making this the band's boldest, most daring and undeniable offering yet. Brutal riffs, synth-heavy patterns and fully orchestrated compositions accented by vocalist Charlotte Wessels's extraordinary vocal potency will enthrall the listener, while new influences may surprise. The broad soundscape on "Apocalypse & Chill" ranges from anthemic rock to electronic metal and breaks all stereotypes, without losing the special DELAIN trademarks.

DELAIN comments: "We think this 'Apocalypse & Chill' will surprise our listeners. It is heavy with new influences and we’re really curious to find out how our audience will respond to that."

"Apocalypse & Chill" will be available for pre-order in the U.S. beginning Tuesday, December 3.

Track listing:

01. One Second
02. We Had Everything
03. Chemical Redemption
04. Burning Bridges
05. Vengeance
06. To Live Is To Die
07. Let's Dance
08. Creatures
09. Ghost House Heart
10. Masters Of Destiny
11. Legions Of The Lost
12. The Greatest Escape
13. Combustion

That's an odd album title, but I really like all the songs already released so I am looking forward to this  :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: November 29, 2019, 09:25:18 AM »
:2metal:

PUMPED!!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #194 on: November 29, 2019, 11:58:51 AM »
They tend to not disappoint.

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #195 on: November 30, 2019, 08:49:07 AM »
Hmm. Not really feeling this one. Don't like the new image the band have gone for of late, don't like the new album cover, and more importantly I haven't been impressed with the new songs. I think Delain might have lost it with this one.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: February 08, 2020, 12:53:40 PM »
One listen in and I'm loving the new album  :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: February 08, 2020, 03:08:57 PM »
I really like this new record. Combustion is a freaking awesome tune. Masters of Destiny still holds up as one of my favorite Delain songs. This is a fun listen.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #198 on: February 08, 2020, 04:17:55 PM »
They tend to not disappoint.

I stand corrected.

I haven't listened to the whole album, and while I love the overall sound, the songs as a whole aren't doing a lot for me.

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #199 on: February 09, 2020, 11:47:25 AM »
Well, seeing as the UK's worst train operator, Thameslink, has decided to cancel all the trains on the East Coast mainline due to high winds (in Britain? In February? Who'd of thought it?) it now seems that I WON'T be going to see Delain tonight after all. 🙁

Seriously, I'm going to have to stop going to gigs all together if they keep this up. Dream Theater at Hammersmith in a fortnight, wonder how they'll fuck up getting me there and back?

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #200 on: February 09, 2020, 06:34:23 PM »

I'm digging it, too. Many of the songs are very hook-driven, which I know is a problem for many metal fans, but I'm not one of them. That's their own problem.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #201 on: February 09, 2020, 07:01:53 PM »
I'm loving it - they've brought back the ultra-heavy riffing that I love so much on The Human Contradiction.  Moonbathers was missing those big, heavy riffs. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #202 on: February 09, 2020, 08:31:52 PM »

I'm digging it, too. Many of the songs are very hook-driven, which I know is a problem for many metal fans, but I'm not one of them. That's their own problem.

Huh? All the metal bands I listen to are super catchy. It's why I listen to them. Plus the kick ass music. Iron Maiden for one is a very hook driven band.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #203 on: February 09, 2020, 11:28:28 PM »

What in the world made you think most metal fans don’t like hook-driven music?  :rollin
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #204 on: February 10, 2020, 02:45:39 AM »

What in the world made you think most metal fans don’t like hook-driven music?  :rollin

The number of metal fans that bitch and moan all over the internet every time a metal band writes a song with an actual melody ("they've sold out! they've gone commercial! blah blah blah!") does rather create that impression.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #205 on: February 10, 2020, 07:52:09 AM »

I don't know, perhaps the avalanche of "too mainstream!!!/too poppy!!!" comments I see and hear anytime a heavy band releases a song that's melodic. Gojira's last album took an ass pounding from many longtime fans.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: February 10, 2020, 08:44:11 AM »
Delain's always been a bit poppy and very melody driven. Not sure what's new here.  The album does sound a bit more "big" in a way, similar to master of destiny having this more epic feel.  I kind of feel the whole album is a bit more like that compared to the past. 

I'm loving it - they've brought back the ultra-heavy riffing that I love so much on The Human Contradiction.  Moonbathers was missing those big, heavy riffs. 

Also this, the riffs are super heavy here and I love it.  I'm so mad at myself for not putting the album on my phone over the weekend to listen to in the car today.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: February 10, 2020, 09:01:03 AM »
I don't know. Hooks don't bother me, but something just didn't click with me about this record. I listened to it two more times today and I can safely say I don't like it. Which is a shame, Masters of Destiny was a fantastic single.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #208 on: February 10, 2020, 03:43:45 PM »
It seems I've held on listening to Delain long enough. I didn't know Martijn Westerholdt was the founder, so that's neat.

Giving the new album a listen, as I do with most bands I've never heard. It's not bad, Charlotte's vocals have a pop aspect to them, I'm enjoying them so no complaints.

Will give their first album a listen to hear the contrast.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: February 10, 2020, 03:45:34 PM »
I can't stand the first album or the two after that. They've come a very long way.