Author Topic: DELAIN  (Read 31267 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: DELAIN
« Reply #140 on: January 12, 2019, 07:20:56 AM »
Oh man what  :lol So much to look forward to this year!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: January 12, 2019, 07:23:10 AM »
September is a really awesome power metal month for me already.  Progpower of course but also the Delain/Amorphis/Anneke show and also the Kamelot/Sonata Arctica/Battle Beast show. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: January 12, 2019, 07:32:34 AM »
September is a really awesome power metal month for me already.  Progpower of course but also the Delain/Amorphis/Anneke show and also the Kamelot/Sonata Arctica/Battle Beast show.

I definitely want to catch the DAA show. I'm torn on the other, because both Kamelot and Sonata have disappointed me in the last few years but they're special bands for me, and BB puts on a really fun show.

EDIT: Both of those shows are in September for me as well. Add ProgPower in the mix and yeah, that's going to be the high point of 2019 for me.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2019, 07:35:35 AM »
Kamelot's still pretty awesome live, their set lists are fairly static though which really sucks the most about their live show.  Battle Beast was a blast last year and bringing them along again was a good idea.  I could pass on Sonata but since they are the middle of the awesome sandwich I'll obviously check them out, again, but I only really like their first album.  Still a pretty solid trio of bands.  At the end of the day, getting to see Tommy sing in both Seventh Wonder and Kamelot in a matter of weeks is pretty awesome for me since I'd name him as my favorite vocalist.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2019, 08:37:50 AM »
Sounds good, September is my Ayreon month this year.

I think I'll pass on Kamelot if they come near me on this tour, the setlist is pretty much the one from the Haven tour, only with new songs which I don't really care about.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: January 12, 2019, 10:54:03 AM »
It's not a new album in the sense it's full of new material, it's more like their Lunar Prelude EP. There are four new songs and the rest is live material. The real new album is scheduled to be released later in 2019, I think.

Gawd I didn't even see that. Boo. Who buys these EPs anyway?

They are touring with Amorphis and Anneke solo, a pretty awesome line up.  Got my ticket for NYC already.

Hmmm don't know Amorphis at all but after a 60 secnd listen on YT I definitely want to hear more. Only know Anneke from Ayreon material, but that's good enough for me.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: January 12, 2019, 10:57:52 AM »
It's not a new album in the sense it's full of new material, it's more like their Lunar Prelude EP. There are four new songs and the rest is live material. The real new album is scheduled to be released later in 2019, I think.

Gawd I didn't even see that. Boo. Who buys these EPs anyway?

I mean, someone must, otherwise I don't see why they would stick to this marketing strategy again.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: January 12, 2019, 11:27:21 AM »
Yea, I don't understand doing that but whatever, I liked the Lunar Prelude songs, I just hope the ones on this new EP aren't going to come up again on the next release though so the full album is more new music.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #148 on: January 14, 2019, 12:39:52 AM »

Damn, that new song just might have the best vocals I've ever heard from Charlotte.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #149 on: January 16, 2019, 03:55:20 AM »
The EP is 2 new songs that WILL be on the forthcoming album, plus 2 "B-sides" that WON'T be.
The live material is from their tour with Marco Hietala, the EP is being packaged with a BluRay from the tour.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: January 16, 2019, 07:02:30 AM »
The EP is 2 new songs that WILL be on the forthcoming album, plus 2 "B-sides" that WON'T be.
The live material is from their tour with Marco Hietala, the EP is being packaged with a BluRay from the tour.

The blu-ray makes me want to buy this, otherwise I would have just gotten the new songs on Amazon. 

Offline PetFish

« Reply #151 on: January 16, 2019, 05:05:23 PM »
I dunno, it's ok, not grabbing me though.

Maybe I've been listening to too much J-Metal and I'm spoiled.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: February 16, 2019, 03:27:47 PM »
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=52780.msg2520621#msg2520621

I wrote a little in another thread about this Delain gig I was at today. Short version: damn, it was fantastic. My first time seeing Delain live and this was absolutely great.

I was determined to actually grab Hunter's Moon if they had it at the merch stand after the show, but no such luck—apparently they didn't bring it at all as the release day is still six days away.

I also read some Russian interviews conducted before the show, and at least in two of those Martijn claims that they're probably going to actually lose money with the release of Hunter's Moon, as releasing a blu-ray is quite expensive, but they had those recorded live tracks with Marco Hietala gathering dust and they just wanted to release them for the fans. Not sure how truthful it is, but I found it curious.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: February 16, 2019, 03:34:13 PM »
Just read that, but didn't think to comment about it then until just now, but similar how to when you left and the guy from the opener was just chilling, when I saw Delain open for Nightwish, after the show Charlotte and Timo were just chilling out near the merch booth. 

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: February 16, 2019, 03:38:58 PM »
Nice! :tup Are they not big enough in the US to warrant a headlining tour?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: February 16, 2019, 03:44:51 PM »
They had their first headline tour after that, and after supporting Kamelot (again) last year, they are headlining again in 2019 with Amorphis and Anneke Van Giersbergen as support  :metal :metal awesome line up if you ask me

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: February 16, 2019, 03:45:19 PM »
Charlotte  :heart :heart :heart

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: February 16, 2019, 03:48:52 PM »
They had their first headline tour after that, and after supporting Kamelot (again) last year, they are headlining again in 2019 with Amorphis and Anneke Van Giersbergen as support  :metal :metal awesome line up if you ask me

Yeah, no shit! :metal I'm seeing Amorphis next month.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: February 16, 2019, 03:53:29 PM »
When I was posting in the "Do you live sleeve tattoos on women thread...?" I was a whisker away from saying "While we are at it, there isn't much more I hate on women than those bull nose rings."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: February 16, 2019, 03:54:21 PM »
I'm fairly sure this is a recurring theme in this thread. :lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #160 on: February 16, 2019, 03:59:55 PM »

Looks like a solid line-up to me, but their show in Anaheim is a bit on the high side, ticket price-wise, for what I am willing to spend for them.  $46.00 fees included (thanks AXS for that one) for GA.  I paid that amount for Halestorm and Starset in 2017 and that concert is among my top five favorites and I don't see Delain cracking that on a personal level.  I bought tickets for five shows of bands that I enjoy more than Delain that costs less than that (including DT, but that seat is in the very far back in the floor.  Only two of those five shows is all GA though).  I'm willing to pull the trigger for less than $40.00, but I don't know if AXS will relent on that one.  I'm hoping the same will apply for Winery Dogs. as well, in Anaheim since $50+ for GA for them is no bueno for me as well.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: February 16, 2019, 04:04:33 PM »
$46 for Delain, Amorphis and Anneke sounds like a good deal to me. If it was Delain alone, that would've been a lot, yeah, but the other two artists are also pretty great.

And I know, different countries and all, but GA for the upcoming DT show here is exactly around $45-46. On the other hand, Delain show was ~$30 here. No fees though, I bought the tickets directly from the venue.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: February 17, 2019, 08:37:50 PM »
Saw Delain play when the opened for NW without knowing much about them. Was impressed with their performance and inspired to get some of their albums. Haven't pulled trigger on tix for this tour, I don't know Amorphis at all, and only know Anneke through her Ayreon stuff (which I thoroughly enjoy). Don't have an issue with that price but I'd also get the tix at the box office to avoid the fees.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #163 on: February 17, 2019, 08:42:07 PM »
Not terribly familiar with them, but they've been showing up a lot on my Pandora in the last few weeks, and I have been very impressed by what I've heard.

Maybe once I know where I'll be living during their tour, I'll get tickets. Also love me some Annie.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #164 on: June 19, 2019, 01:47:49 AM »
Delain part ways with Merel Bechtold:

http://www.delain.nl/full-news.php?news=74

Odd that's she's leaving mid-tour like that - wonder if there's more going on behind the scenes?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: June 19, 2019, 08:21:28 AM »
Yea read that the other day, said she wants to focus on her other shit, but they also recently changed drummers.

Makes me feel like this band may have hit a ceiling and the supporting cast is either in with the constant touring or not.  I believe Merel is in some other projects so I'm sure she is just going to focus her efforts there and maybe has something else up her sleeve. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #166 on: June 19, 2019, 08:51:22 AM »
Merel mentioned wanting to try and get her own band (Dear Mother) off the ground.  She also plays in Mayan with Mark Jansen from Epica and said that they're starting to get active again.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: June 19, 2019, 09:17:32 AM »
Merel mentioned wanting to try and get her own band (Dear Mother) off the ground.  She also plays in Mayan with Mark Jansen from Epica and said that they're starting to get active again.

Yea I knew about Mayan, I'll see them at Progpower this year although they aren't really my thing.  It just seems when you play in a band that tours so much, you don't get the time to explore much of what you are really interested in. 

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #168 on: June 20, 2019, 01:25:08 AM »
..when you play in a band that tours so much, you don't get the time to explore much of what you are really interested in.

But you do get a steady pay check, and that must be a hard thing to walk away from. One of the most difficult things you can do as a musician is actually make money from it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: June 20, 2019, 08:41:48 AM »
..when you play in a band that tours so much, you don't get the time to explore much of what you are really interested in.

But you do get a steady pay check, and that must be a hard thing to walk away from. One of the most difficult things you can do as a musician is actually make money from it.

Also true.  Who knows what her personal situation is, but from what they've said, it only talks about more time to focus on what she wants to.  I'm sure she's thinking about what's best for her.  The band will go on, I think they will be fine and I do wish Merel the best. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: June 20, 2019, 09:29:02 AM »
Sucks that Merel's out. She was always fun to watch live (plus she is CUTE! and only a year younger than me!  :lol :biggrin:). Seemed like Delain was on the up and up with that Masters of Destiny song. Wonder if they'll try to find another girl.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #171 on: June 21, 2019, 04:46:59 AM »
I'm glad she's doing her own thing. Personally I think she's too good to be in a band which seems to be more about colour-coordinated stage design and clothing. Nothing wrong with Delain's music, mind you, but I just don't like bands like that where everyone has to synchronize their headbanging.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #172 on: June 21, 2019, 05:48:47 AM »
I always hated the way Nightwish used to have Tarja's mic and stand match whatever she was wearing. That said, I don't much like JLB's robot hand/skull mic stand on this tour either. It's better than those papier-mâché ants they had a few years back, mind...

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #173 on: June 21, 2019, 06:16:17 AM »
Sucks that Merel's out. She was always fun to watch live (plus she is CUTE! and only a year younger than me!  :lol :biggrin:)

She IS cute, but I'm old enough to be her father, so I'm not sure I should even be looking.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #174 on: June 21, 2019, 06:58:05 AM »
Oh there's no denying she is cute. I happen to almost run into her at a gig they were headlining (I was there for the support act  ;) and I was walking out into the lobby-area of the venue just as she walked back into the concert hall. We sort of just smiled at eachother. I noticed her at the early Gentle Storm gigs where she really stood out and held her own on the stage besides Anneke van Giersbergen and Marcela Bovio, which is not easily done. I hope shel'll do well with her own music.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....