Author Topic: DELAIN  (Read 31223 times)

Offline PetFish

Re: DELAIN
« Reply #105 on: October 03, 2016, 12:12:01 AM »
For some reason I still haven't picked this up.

... but The Deviant Hearts by Phantasma is still completely owning me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: October 05, 2016, 02:17:10 PM »
Finally listened to the album today... 3 times.  I really enjoy it.  I don't feel it strayed from the Delain sound so pretty typical, but still pretty good.

The standouts to me from these listens today are Scandal and Turn the Lights Out

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: November 17, 2016, 02:06:55 PM »
Ranking time now that I've listened enough to form an opinion:

Turn the Lights Out
Danse Macabre
Fire with Fire
Suckerpunch
Scandal
Hands of Gold
Pendulum
The Glory and the Scum
The Hurricane
The Monarch
Chrysalis - The Last Breath

pretty strong album overall, I think for the album rankings:

The Human Contradiction
Moonbathers
April Rain
We Are the Others

(don't have their first album)

Offline PetFish

« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2016, 08:30:08 PM »
I still haven't picked this one up.
:loser:

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2016, 01:10:14 AM »
Their London gig last Sunday was fantastic - I'm now a huge Delain fan! Charlotte is an amazing frontwoman, fantastic voice and energy, and even sexier in the flesh! Only downside - they didn't play "Turn the Lights Out", easily the best song on the new album. On the bright side, the gig was being filmed, so hopefully it'll see the light of day soon.

The evening did rather make me wonder what some of these bands have to do to get fans to put their f*cking phones down and watch the show with their own God-given eyes... :censored :censored :censored
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2016, 07:34:05 AM »
Their London gig last Sunday was fantastic - I'm now a huge Delain fan! Charlotte is an amazing frontwoman, fantastic voice and energy, and even sexier in the flesh! Only downside - they didn't play "Turn the Lights Out", easily the best song on the new album. On the bright side, the gig was being filmed, so hopefully it'll see the light of day soon.

The evening did rather make me wonder what some of these bands have to do to get fans to put their f*cking phones down and watch the show with their own God-given eyes... :censored :censored :censored

If it's being released then it's for bonus material, they already announced a big show coming up in a few weeks that is being filmed for release.

Also, agreed on Charlotte live and Delain as a live band in general.  Hopefully they play Turn the Lights Out at future shows.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: April 24, 2017, 02:21:11 PM »
Going to see Delain and Hammerfall tonight.  Looking forward to my first full Delain show as the three previous times they were always the opener.

Offline Working man

« Reply #112 on: November 25, 2017, 12:59:51 PM »
Anybody else enjoying the "A decade of Delain" live DVD?

Nothing ground breaking, but a good rockin' show. And Charlotte is quite a charismatic band leader.

Will catch them again on the Delain/Kamelot tour next year.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #113 on: November 25, 2017, 08:34:18 PM »
Anybody else enjoying the "A decade of Delain" live DVD?

Nothing ground breaking, but a good rockin' show. And Charlotte is quite a charismatic band leader.

Will catch them again on the Delain/Kamelot tour next year.

I bought it.  I've barely had time to watch the DVD since I got it last month, but I've listened to the CD's a bunch.  Great performance and a pretty good setlist that's really heavy on the last two records.  I've been a fan since 2008 and enjoyed seeing them open for Nightwish in 2015.  It's nice to have a full performance from them to watch.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: November 26, 2017, 06:34:58 AM »
I got it and really enjoy it. I've seen them 4 times now and a 5th time coming in 2018.  Would have loved to caught them on their recent Europe tour with Marco, the videos I've seen on YouTube looked great.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #115 on: November 26, 2017, 07:36:45 AM »
Didn't know they had a DVD out, will need to pick that up. I was not at all a fan of Delain when they first came on the scene but their last couple albums have been fantastic. Even saw them open for Sonata Arctica in 2016 and their live game is on point. Great band.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: November 26, 2017, 07:41:47 AM »
Yea, the package is double CD, DVD, and Blu-Ray.  Pretty nice package if you ask me.  Got mine on amazon.  The blu-ray looks really nice, no better way to watch a concert with surround sound blu-ray.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: November 26, 2017, 12:28:16 PM »
Oohhhh this looks quite nice. And only $20 on Amazon?!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline PetFish

« Reply #118 on: November 26, 2017, 03:53:52 PM »
Where are you guys seeing this on Amazon?

All I get when I search are an audio CD and streaming versions and filter options of "vinyl" or "CD", not even a "DVD" option for me.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #119 on: November 26, 2017, 04:36:29 PM »
Where are you guys seeing this on Amazon?

All I get when I search are an audio CD and streaming versions and filter options of "vinyl" or "CD", not even a "DVD" option for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Decade-Delain-Live-At-Paradiso/dp/B0757Y3ZTR/ref=tmm_acd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1511739333&sr=8-2

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: November 26, 2017, 04:36:47 PM »
It's the CD package, it doesn't say it but it comes with the DVD and blu ray. You'll see it says 4 discs.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #121 on: November 27, 2017, 04:11:41 AM »
Apart from the fact they don't play "Turn the Lights Out" it's a stunning DVD/CD package. Even the documentary is fun - instead of following the band, it follows fans, talking about what the band means to them and following them to the show. It's a nice touch. The music industry is constantly trying to tell us that young people don't connect to rock bands anymore - they just want to download the latest reality-tv talent show contestants. As a cynical old rocker, I found it heartening to see the dedication these kids have to this band, and the dedication the band have to their fans. Rock isn't dead - It's alive and well and it's name is Delain.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #122 on: November 27, 2017, 07:59:17 AM »
So this is down to $16. Sounds like it's worth it.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #123 on: November 28, 2017, 11:02:35 PM »
Thanks for the help but it's a big "doh" to have it listed as a CD first and not DVD/BR first.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #124 on: November 29, 2017, 04:52:48 AM »
Having got into Nightwish a couple of weeks ago, I decided to give ago band ago.  Was going to go for Epica but it sounds they have a lot of death growl vocals in there music, and that doesn't do anything for me.   So picked up 'The Human Condition' by Delain really quite like it, it's quite poppy and I'm cool with that - I think i'll invest in more of their material.   I've no idea how this album is regarded I picked it because it was the cheapest  ;D

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #125 on: November 29, 2017, 06:53:47 AM »
Having got into Nightwish a couple of weeks ago, I decided to give ago band ago.  Was going to go for Epica but it sounds they have a lot of death growl vocals in there music, and that doesn't do anything for me.   So picked up 'The Human Condition' by Delain really quite like it, it's quite poppy and I'm cool with that - I think i'll invest in more of their material.   I've no idea how this album is regarded I picked it because it was the cheapest  ;D

The Human *Contradiction* is good, but We Are the Others and Moonbathers are better.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #126 on: November 29, 2017, 07:21:28 AM »

The Human *Contradiction* is good, but We Are the Others and Moonbathers are better.

I must be the only person that can't stand We Are the Others compared to the rest of the discs.  I do like some of the songs on it though.

Human Contradiction is probably their most guitar-driven album, which is why it's my favorite.  Lucidity is more of the classic "gothic" sound like older Within Temptation.  April Rain brought in some heavier guitars and more of the pop-styled songwriting.  Moonbathers retains some of the heavier guitar work from Human Contradiction as well.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: November 29, 2017, 07:44:30 AM »
Human Contradiction is one of their best IMO.  I'd put We Are The Others a bit lower, but it has some of their more classic songs I guess you could say so it's kind of essential if you are getting into Delain.  I'd go for Moonbathers next though, fantastic new album.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: November 29, 2017, 06:37:47 PM »
Thanks for the help but it's a big "doh" to have it listed as a CD first and not DVD/BR first.

That is strange, I never would have noticed it was a video release as well if it wasn't mentioned here.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: November 29, 2017, 07:09:32 PM »
Yea, I actually filed a question with Amazon about it before purchase because I wasn't sure but figured it was all the same package and ordered thinking I'd return it if it was just the CD but was happy with what I got.  I knew it was a video release because it was crowd funded.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #130 on: November 30, 2017, 08:14:44 PM »
To be fair, there is a picture of the set when you click on it. They should specify in the title though.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #131 on: December 08, 2017, 01:51:56 AM »
Brought both 'We are the Same' and 'Moonbathers' a few days ago.  'Moonbathers' continues where 'THC' left off and is very good  (perhaps not quite as strong as THC).  'We are the Same' is a softer album, actually reminds me of the band Garbage in places, it has some great tracks which are as strong as the best material on the other two albums, however there are also a couple of filler tracks - so I'd have to rate this album somewhat lower as a whole. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2019, 09:25:57 PM »
New Delain song, Masters of Destiny, and album coming out February 22.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT14mlv92t4

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: January 11, 2019, 09:34:51 PM »
So much new music today, totally missed this.  The music video looks super cheesy with the green screen effect but the song is pretty good and more "epic" sounding for them.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: January 11, 2019, 11:11:12 PM »
No doubt. Good track after a quick listen.

Also, they are touring all over the place in 2019, but I can't see who they are touring with, at least in the US. And they are releasing their own whiskey!

http://www.delain.nl/full-news.php?news=67

Offline Working man

« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2019, 01:52:34 AM »
I am impressed. Looking forward to hear this new album.

WM

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: January 12, 2019, 02:46:04 AM »
The song is epic! Great stuff, loving it. Pity it's not a new full album that's being released, but I guess the new album will follow later in 2019.

Excited to see them live next month, hopefully they'll play this song.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #137 on: January 12, 2019, 07:04:43 AM »
Holy crackers, Delain's got a new album AND it's coming out on Feb. 22nd? How about all the bands I like choose a different month for releases? 2019's gonna be over early for me  :lol

I like this song. Although I still don't like their first two albums (and haven't heard the third), THC and Moonbathers are utterly fantastic to me, so I'm looking forward to this. Their live shows rule too.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: January 12, 2019, 07:11:14 AM »
Holy crackers, Delain's got a new album AND it's coming out on Feb. 22nd? How about all the bands I like choose a different month for releases? 2019's gonna be over early for me  :lol

It's not a new album in the sense it's full of new material, it's more like their Lunar Prelude EP. There are four new songs and the rest is live material. The real new album is scheduled to be released later in 2019, I think.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: January 12, 2019, 07:20:15 AM »
No doubt. Good track after a quick listen.

Also, they are touring all over the place in 2019, but I can't see who they are touring with, at least in the US. And they are releasing their own whiskey!

http://www.delain.nl/full-news.php?news=67

They are touring with Amorphis and Anneke solo, a pretty awesome line up.  Got my ticket for NYC already.