Author Topic: DELAIN  (Read 31241 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
DELAIN
« on: April 15, 2014, 03:31:12 PM »
So any fans of this great band? They just released their 4th album, The Human Contradiction on April 8th, and it's pretty awesome. I might still like We Are The Others more, but THC is still a swell follow up. I got to meet most of Delain when I saw Kamelot last year, and they are really nice and cool people... And Charlotte is amazingly beautiful. For those that don't know, Delain is a female fronted Symphonic Rock/Metal band and before you groan, they aren't a "beauty and the beast" or Nightwish clone. If fact, they're more of a Pop Metal band who sometimes have growls by guest singers or clean male vocalists like Marco from Nightwish, but the majority of the time it's just Charlotte. Here's their newest single Stardust, and a few other singles to give you an idea of their sound:

Stardust - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubi1m5pR3hM
Your Body is A Battleground (Lyric video) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKZgAVygp9A
Are You Done With Me - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1mnM91RxPM
The Human Contradiction (Album preview) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9eTztxn3l4

I'd post the video to We Are the Others, but the only official version is the remixed extreme pop version of the song. The album version is poppy enough as it...

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: DELAIN
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 05:39:15 PM »
Checking in as a fan. Explored them in anticipation of the KamelotThe show last fall.  Liked them plenty, but haven't gone back to them too often.  Met Charlotte's uncle last night ... He plays in ReVamp.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline PetFish

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 02:03:18 AM »
I discovered them only a year ago about the same time as Amaranthe.  I love both but Delain definitely has more variety and versatility.

I wouldn't call them "symphonic metal" at all and I think doing so, as you mentioned "before you groan", will lean people into *not* checking them out.  Just say they're metal.

I'm still digesting the new album but We Are The Others and Interlude are both amazing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 08:36:05 AM »
I checked them out awhile back, but ended up not really liking them much.  I can't really point to anything in particular that I dislike.  They just don't grab me enough.  Maybe just a bit too pop for my liking.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 09:44:21 AM »
I'll give you a pop for my liking.

That's what I like about them. Pop Metal is something I really enjoy. I wish Amaranthe had a bit more variety, but they're another Pop Metal band I enjoy.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 09:47:56 AM »
Like others here, I checked them out before seeing them open for Kamelot last year.  I like them, not crazy about them, but they got some catchy tunes.  Charlotte is pretty awesome.  I had no idea they had a new album so I will have to check that out. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 09:55:51 AM »
I discovered them only a year ago about the same time as Amaranthe.  I love both but Delain definitely has more variety and versatility.

I wouldn't call them "symphonic metal" at all and I think doing so, as you mentioned "before you groan", will lean people into *not* checking them out.  Just say they're metal.

I'm still digesting the new album but We Are The Others and Interlude are both amazing.

You may not call them symphonic metal, but from the youtube description on their new video, they seem to call themselves that:

"DELAIN will not only enthral Symphonic Metal fans with their fourth album "The Human Contradiction", but also listeners new to the genre. Extremely catchy refrains, bewitching hooks and melodies, symphonic bombast and of course a good dose of Metal -- that's how Symphonic Metal has to sound in 2014! Vocalist supreme Charlotte Wessels and her equally talented band colleagues exceeded the highest expectations and have elevated the genre to a whole new level."

Stardust was pretty good.  Really like the break into the end of the song, I like the video as well since I like things like space and of course..... Charlotte looks  :tup

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 04:56:01 PM »
Well, since I just discovered that I can search for threads I started (was that always there?) I thought I'd give a quick update.

Delain is still awesome. I can't say The Human Contradiction is my favorite. I still like We Are The Others the best, but it aged OK. That being said, I haven't listened to it in a while, but I think I do prefer it to April Rain. Lucidity is good for hopefully some autographs when I see them on October 1st, but it's not the greatest.

It would be cool if Nightwish's Marco could continue doing guest vocals. He's always a treat.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 07:05:32 PM »
I personally wouldn't say they are "symphonic metal" as Charlotte doesn't sing falsetto opera-like very much, and I'm glad, I don't like that vocal style very much and certainly not all of the time.

We Are the Others and Interlude are really great.  I'm still getting used to The Human Contradiction.  They are playing here in Vancouver soon and unless the sky falls I'll be there.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 07:09:39 PM »
Yeah, they have symphonic elements, but they are really just a rock/metal band.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 07:58:20 PM »
I actually really like THC, but its hard to say which album is their best.  All aren't great albums but have good songs.  Depends on the day to say whether THC, WAtO, or AR is the best.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 08:25:26 PM »
I actually really like THC, but its hard to say which album is their best.  All aren't great albums but have good songs.  Depends on the day to say whether THC, WAtO, or AR is the best.

Madness.

We Are The Others is definitely up there with some of the greatest female fronted (pop)metal albums.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 05:28:01 AM »
I'm a newbie to Delain, but I bought The Human Contradiction recently and it's fantastic! :metal All the songs are freakin' catchy!
I personally wouldn't say they are "symphonic metal" as Charlotte doesn't sing falsetto opera-like very much, and I'm glad, I don't like that vocal style very much and certainly not all of the time.
Agreed; Charlotte is a great singer because she's not too over-the-top. Opera vocals tend to hurt my ears... :lol I'm not a symphonic metal fan, because most bands overuse orchestras to cover up their weak songwriting, but on THC the symphonic elements are used pretty tastefully and they complement the songs instead of stealing the show.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 11:13:29 AM »
I listen to internet radio at work for background music, and I don't usually pay attention to what is playing, but a couple songs by this band made me look and see who it was. Good stuff! Will be checking out more.

It would be cool if Nightwish's Marco could continue doing guest vocals. He's always a treat.

No doubt about that.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline PetFish

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 02:52:49 AM »
They are here next week but I won't be going after all.  They are 2nd band with Sonata Arctica headlining in a shitty general admission club and I don't like SA.

However, they'll be here opening for Nightwish in April in a seated venue.  I don't know Nightwish very much but it's definitely a show I'd rather be at.  I did Halestorm a while back at a shitty club in Seattle with two openers and I don't feel like doing that scene again unless Delain were headlining.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 06:12:17 AM »
They are here next week but I won't be going after all.  They are 2nd band with Sonata Arctica headlining in a shitty general admission club and I don't like SA.

However, they'll be here opening for Nightwish in April in a seated venue.  I don't know Nightwish very much but it's definitely a show I'd rather be at.  I did Halestorm a while back at a shitty club in Seattle with two openers and I don't feel like doing that scene again unless Delain were headlining.

Delain and Nightwish, hell yea!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 09:26:11 AM »

Been to that place. Ugh.

However, they'll be here opening for Nightwish in April in a seated venue.

Wait... where do you see that??
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline PetFish

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2014, 12:04:27 AM »
The Georgia Straight
https://www.straight.com/listings/events/733306

It hasn't been added to their tour page yet.  Weird.  Even though I'm not going next week I hope the turnout is good and they like it here.  I'll also definitely get meet and greet tickets next time also.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2014, 04:51:26 AM »
Man, that's a 'mandatory attend'  They (Nightwish) just announced Buffalo on April 16th, and are playing Quebec City on April 13th... ergo I'm praying there's a Toronto date in between.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2014, 08:48:08 AM »
Man, that's a 'mandatory attend' 

yea, i agree.  I hope they bring this tour with Delain to NYC (I dont see why they wouldnt, but who knows).

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2014, 03:57:11 PM »

I caught on to them not long after their debut album, and have liked them ever since. Charlotte has a very unique voice that I can spot instantly. She has a certain kind of purity (from my own limited perception, at least) that makes her sexy as hell to me, as well. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2014, 05:33:11 AM »
Everything about Charlotte is sexy. Looking foward to chatting with her again after the Sonata Arctica show.

Speaking of pure awesomeness, Delain is coming back to Phoenix again next May with Nightwish!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2014, 05:53:44 AM »
Yup and to NYC as well with NW, definitely going. Saw Delain with Kamelot last year and I sadly missed half the set but they were pretty good and I like the new album a lot so I'm excited to see them play those songs.

I'd love to meet Charlotte.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2014, 06:28:39 AM »
Been there, done that.  She's an absolute sweetheart.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2014, 07:12:44 AM »
Way to rub it in...

And it just hit me, delain touring with nigtwish means the possibility of Marco performing his songs with delain is strong. Sing to Me is one of my favorites.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2014, 08:04:41 AM »
Way to rub it in...

And it just hit me, delain touring with nigtwish means the possibility of Marco performing his songs with delain is strong. Sing to Me is one of my favorites.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2014, 10:33:08 PM »
Delain was awesome as usual. Crowd was into them, but they were a little more active for Xandria, and of course the most active for Sonata Arctica, who unfortunately I found boring. Don't get me wrong, they put on a good show, but the new stuff is just... Boring. Also didn't help that my back was hurting from standing so long, and I was starving.

But yeah, Delain=Awesome. Definitely seeing them in May again with Nightwish. My girlfriend took some video of a couple songs which surprisingly turned out pretty good, and I got another picture with Charlotte, and some new autographs. Unfortunately the bassist and keyboardist didn't come out, or if they did, it wasn't for a long time, so I still haven't gotten the keyboardist's sig. Yeah, still learning the names. I could look it up, but whatevs. I think the main man behind the band should be out there too, but I guess I should be thankful that they even take the time to meet fans afterwards.

One thing though, I was way more nervous than last time when I met the band. Don't know why. I had a conversation scenario played out in my head that never came to fruition. Yeah, I do that kind of stuff... DON'T JUDGE ME!

Xandria put on a good show too, although I'm not really into operatic vocals anymore. The singer is HOT. She might actually stay in the band too. I believe they've had more singers than Iced Earth now. Both Delain and Xandria stole the show for me. There was an opening (local?) band called Insatia who weren't bad, but they were having equipment problems. Thinking about it now, I think the sound guy was doing his best to make them sound decent, but at the time I kept telling my girlfriend it was his fault they sounded like shit.

All in all, great show, I just wish I could have enjoyed Sonata Arctica more.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2014, 06:46:15 AM »
Cool!  Thanks for sharing.  I didnt even realized they played in NYC last month.  I might have gone but wasnt paying attention  >:(

Offline 02T

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2014, 02:29:18 PM »
They just played here in Vegas last night. Great reviews so far, but I wasn't able to make it.
bradbaileymusic.com
Facebook.com/BradBaileyGTR
Twitter @BradBaileyGTR

Offline PetFish

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2014, 08:00:45 PM »
Cool story, bro.

I still have to wait until April to see them but I'm sure it'll be worth it.

The Pretty Reckless are playing here on Sunday and even though Taylor Momsen is a filthy whore the music is really good but I only found out about it today so not enough time to make plans.  Great job, promoters, thanks for nothing, now I can't see her bring fans up on stage for boobs.

Speaking of boobs, I wonder if Steel Panther will be in my area some time.  *checks*  Dammit, Tacoma, WA is the closest.  No boobs for me.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2014, 09:14:36 PM »
Cool story, bro.

I still have to wait until April to see them but I'm sure it'll be worth it.

The Pretty Reckless are playing here on Sunday and even though Taylor Momsen is a filthy whore the music is really good but I only found out about it today so not enough time to make plans.  Great job, promoters, thanks for nothing, now I can't see her bring fans up on stage for boobs.

Either she's still trying to prove she's an "adult" and not Cindy Lou, or Jim Carrey's Grinch costume just scarred her for life. Either way, not a fan of her or her band.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2014, 02:47:34 PM »
https://www.fuse.tv/2014/12/delian-otto-schimmelpenninck-metal-bassist-ruptures-testicle-onstage

Well that is pretty crappy for him, what a champ though.  Id probably be on the floor crying.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2014, 05:40:22 PM »
Yeah, I read that the other day. He's one tough son of a bitch.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2014, 02:32:05 AM »
He's a baller for sure.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2014, 08:47:29 PM »
Count me in as a fan of Delain.  I kind of discovered them by chance.  I was checking out random related artists to bands I like (on spotify).  It started with Ayreon which led me to Stream of Passion (they're great, but I haven't bought an album yet).  I then stumbled across the song "Stardust" by Delain, which was pretty intriguing so I gave them some more listens.

I have since bought 3 of their albums.  The first was "We are the others" because it happened to be available at my local FYE and I wanted to get something I hadn't heard anything from.  Great album!  Mother Machine  and Get the Devil Out of Me are so awesome.  I may have the song titles wrong, I don't really pay attention to that so much.

I next got The Human Contradiction.  After many listens on spotify I knew it was worth supporting the album (and I'm sick of all the commercials) so I bought that.  Can't really choose favorites, the entire album is so great.  I guess if I HAD to choose a couple of favorites I'd choose "Your Body is a Battleground" and "My Masquerade".

I just bought the album "April Rain" from amazon.com.  It came with an instant download which I plan on listening to at work tomorrow.  This is another album I haven't heard any of, but am pretty sure I'll like it quite a bit.

I never used to be into any female fronted bands, but that has been changing.  I also picked up the newest from Epica and find that to be quite an addicting album also.