Author Topic: The Tears for Fears Thread  (Read 20327 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Tears for Fears Thread
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2016, 08:08:37 PM »
See, I think Listen is a great closer.  It just kind of lulls you into dreaminess as the album ends.  Very effective.

I need to check out Raoul and the Kings of Spain; I still don't know anything from that.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2016, 09:28:34 PM »
See, I think Listen is a great closer.  It just kind of lulls you into dreaminess as the album ends.  Very effective.

I need to check out Raoul and the Kings of Spain; I still don't know anything from that.

Well, it's great that you like "Listen". Maybe I should give at a go - it's been a long time...

About Raoul: if you liked ...Happy Ending, maybe you'll like that one - it's a 12-song type album of simpler, catchier material. Roland recorded right after the Elemental tour, with the backing band, so it sounds different than the rest of their albums - much more direct, with more emphasis on the guitar (both acoustic and electric). I don't remember much keyboard/synth throughout (there is some, though).

In my opinion, there are some good songs, but many weak ones. When he goes into rock-star mode, it sounds really cheesy. But, you'll probably find something to enjoy.

Maybe you'll like that Oletta Adams, who guested in The Seeds Of Love, also guests here. And, the bass playing is by Gail-Ann Dorsey, who would go on to play with Bowie for some time (you liked Bowie, right?).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2016, 07:19:34 PM »
Yep, Bowie was great.

I am sure I will get around to that album sooner rather than later. :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2016, 07:26:00 PM »
It is a fine listen Kev. Totally worth owning it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2016, 02:49:49 PM »
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I just wanted to confess my love for the band's music. I discovered them in 2005 (of course, by listening to "Shout" and "EWTRTW" on the radio/MTV), and later I become obsessed with their albums. I was in a huge TFF phase in 2008/2009 - specially with The Seeds Of Love and Elemental (my two favourites). I've always thought of their music as 'progressive pop'.

I haven't bothered with anything after Saturnine, Matial and Lunatic. What came after that?

In 2001 Roland released a solo album called Tomcats Screaming Outside, an electronica/drum&bass album (that I have yet to check).

Then, in 2004 the band released Everybody Loves A Happy Ending (the 2005 special edition includes 2 extra songs). It's a simpler, more conventional pop album ("Call Me Mellow" is perfect).

2006 saw the release of a short live DVD/album called Secret World, recorded the year before in Paris. The CD edition includes "Floating Down The River", a leftover from the last album (and, if I recall, somewhat similar to "Sowing The Seeds Of Love").

In 2013 they uploaded a few covers by current artists, and since then they have been recording a new album.

Thanks for the update. I'll keep my eyes open.

Offline vazquez

• f.k.a. krieger
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2016, 07:48:23 PM »
Nice post! Let me add my 2 cents. I have almost everything TFF released - and their solo works - and Graduate!!! (Iīm only missing Curt Smithīs last solo album) So I would like to give some suggestions:

Roland Orzabal - Tomcats Screaming Outside: Nick D'Virgilio on drums, a strong album, some very memorable tunes. The "A-Side" is upbeat - "For the Love of Cain" is basically a hit song - the "B-side" is introspective, tending even to sadness.

Curt Smith - Halfway, Pleased: Ah, this album is something. Very few people have heard it. Itīs even more introspective than TSO, itīs verging on being bleak, even the more uplifting songs seems a bit desolate. You could check "Seven of Sundays", "Aeroplane", "Who You Are" (TFF re-recorded this song in ELAHE) and "Where Do I Go?". But the most potent song is "Addict" – 7m50s, with Smith repeating the same sentence over and over - "I know something about it". Quite beautiful.

Even though the albums were released with a 7-year difference (TSO on 2001, HP on 2008), they seem to be on a similar mental level. They are serious. Itīs not A.O.R., but itīs music for mature people, in my opinion.

Sometimes I great angry īcause TFF is everything but prolific - 6 album in 30+ years - but they are always original, and always do their own thing. They never, ever, did a single note trying to please labels or public or anything like that. They have a decency very few bands have.

"From the last ills no being can save another; therein each man must be his own saviour."
White-Jacket, Herman Melville

Offline Art

« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2017, 08:24:42 AM »
Bump!

I have been on a huge TFF phase for the last weeks.

These guys were (are) true master pop-songwriters.

Love this band.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2017, 08:31:08 AM »
Me too!!

Songs From The Big Chair and The Seeds of Love are Masterpieces!

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2017, 10:22:46 AM »
I still can't believe they haven't released a new album.  I feel like a couple years ago they were reported to be working on one.  I wonder how far along it is now.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2017, 10:49:51 PM »
I'd love to hear a new album by them.

10 days till I see them in concert!!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2017, 12:12:32 AM »
Bump!

I have been on a huge TFF phase for the last weeks.

These guys were (are) true master pop-songwriters.

Love this band.

Me too!!

Songs From The Big Chair and The Seeds of Love are Masterpieces!

:clap: Hear hear to all of this!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2017, 01:47:28 PM »
Great show from the band last night!

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2017, 02:47:36 PM »
How long does each group play? I saw one hour for Tears and 1.5 for H&O. I just wasn't sure if that was true for all shows.

God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2017, 02:56:35 PM »
Obviously their Mad World was a fuck load better than the Gary Jules version.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2017, 02:58:58 PM »
75 minutes for Tears, 90 for H&O. Both played 14 songs.

Tears was much better. They played all of their hits (minus Women in Chains), plus two songs from ELAHE!! H&O was good, but leaving off three of their biggest hits and having slightly different arrangements of some of the hits they did play, was a bit odd.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2017, 03:29:13 PM »
They didn't play Rich Girl at your show!?! They did two nights before. That's too bad
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2017, 03:30:49 PM »
Nope.  No Rich Girl, Private Eyes or Kiss on My List.

Also, the setlist.fm set lists are off.  The Tears for Fears set has all of the songs correct, but the order is not.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2017, 03:45:40 PM »
The guy reviewing the concert for the Dispatch must have just copied and pasted the setlist because he says they did play Private Eyes and Kiss on my List
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #88 on: May 07, 2017, 06:00:02 PM »
Hmmm, I saw that.  It looked like it was over when they were waving to the crowd and I could swear some of the house lights came on, but I suppose it is possibility we jumped the gun and missed the encore of Kiss on My List and Private Eyes.  Oops. Oh well, I was there more for Tears for Fears anyway. :hat

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #89 on: May 07, 2017, 06:02:41 PM »
Me too and every review, both personal and professional, have said Hall and Oates is okay, they tinker with their hits too much. However, everyone has loved Tears for Fears
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #90 on: May 07, 2017, 06:09:46 PM »
That's because Tears for Fears is easy to love. :tup :tup

The thing with some of H&O hits is, some of them are really knee deep in the 80s sound, and that can be hard to channel in 2017. 

I Can't Go for That retained the same vocal melody and that main keyboard line was in there somewhere, but it was sort of buried underneath everything else going on.  That intro is one that would slay the audience.  Instead, it was like, "Oh, a different arrangement." 

Leading off Maneater with a new guitar riff kind of took away the slick and smooth feel of the song.  They had an 8-person band, but all you really need for that song is Hall's voice, bass and drums for the rhythm that drives the song, the sax, keys, and Oates doing the jangly guitar.  But that would leave two people doing nothing (three if Hall does the keys and singing). Can't have that, I guess.

Also, that main piano lead in One in One was non-existent.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: May 07, 2017, 07:03:57 PM »
Jeb, what 2 songs from ELAHE?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #92 on: May 07, 2017, 07:18:11 PM »

:lol :lol

Title track and Secret World.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: May 07, 2017, 07:20:44 PM »
 :lol

How the fuck did Kev auto correct to Jeb? :lol

I had to look this time to make sure Kev came up! :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #94 on: May 07, 2017, 07:23:53 PM »
Haha. Break It Down Again was one of the highlights for me (3rd to last song). 10 of the 14 songs were from the first three albums, with the rest being the two ELAHP tunes, Break it Down Again and they covered Radiohead's Creep.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: May 07, 2017, 07:24:56 PM »
Break It Down Again?  Awesome!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #96 on: May 07, 2017, 07:33:13 PM »
It's hard not to sing along to their major hits, but Break It Down Again had me singing along and rocking out like you wouldn't believe. :coolio

I still need to get Raoul and the Kings of Spain.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #97 on: July 13, 2017, 09:12:02 AM »
Just saw TFF live last night in Austin. They did not co-headline with Hall and Oates in this show. Roland is great at the guitar. Man, had a great time. Below is the setlist.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #98 on: July 13, 2017, 09:02:35 PM »
Below what? :P

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #99 on: July 14, 2017, 07:23:49 AM »
Below what? :P

LOL

Don't get me started! I tried pasting the setlist from setlist.fm and I started to get messages that I couldn't post here due to the IP's firewall settings and eventually my IP was blocked for trying several times.

Here's the link to the setlist

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/tears-for-fears/2017/the-moody-theater-austin-tx-33e464c1.html

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #100 on: July 16, 2017, 07:26:14 AM »
Dang, you got Woman in Chains and another song from ELAHE that we didn't get in May. I am jealous.  :lol :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2017, 07:59:41 AM »
I could do without the Radiohead cover.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #102 on: July 16, 2017, 08:09:11 AM »
same here.

if anything, Radiohead should be covering them, lol.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #103 on: July 16, 2017, 08:12:37 AM »
With the exceptions of the three big hits from Songs from the Big Chair, Creep got the biggest applause at our show back in May, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case in most other cities, so I get why the band would want to keep playing a cover they obviously love and that crowds cheer loudly for.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #104 on: July 16, 2017, 11:28:53 AM »
Why not? Creep is a magnificent song, one of the greats of our time.