Author Topic: The Conception Thread  (Read 9051 times)

Offline pfillion

Re: The Conception Thread
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2020, 05:04:09 AM »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2020, 06:42:40 AM »
I have a positive bias towards anything they do , but hmm...........not the most cohesive song to these ears.  It may well be a grower though.  Awesome to hear that lead tone of Tore back in action ,but just waiting for one of those big choruses from the Parallel Minds , In Your Multitude, Flow era.

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2020, 06:49:00 AM »
but just waiting for one of those big choruses from the Parallel Minds , In Your Multitude, Flow era.

I'm feeling like that too.  I'm so happy that the band is back together and we get to hear Roy singing again, but I want some giant, catchy choruses. 

I'm getting some big Kamelot vibes from this song though, which is fun - it brings me back to those years where Kamelot was just nailing it out of the park every time they put out an album.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2020, 07:14:10 AM »
I like. A lot.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2020, 08:40:55 AM »
It's fine. Can't wait for the album and to see them live again though. Last time was phenomenal. Roy waved back at my sister and winked at us and we just about died  :lol have loved him for so long, and Conception live is just a firecracker of a band.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2020, 09:23:24 AM »
Seems like the rest of my opinion of Conception... not bad, but really just fails to grasp me. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2020, 03:40:19 PM »
I thought that was quite unique and interesting.  Agree with Brent, it's great hearing Tore play again. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2020, 03:47:39 PM »
Wow, that kind of blew. The only reason I hung in there was because you guys were pimpimg the guitarist, and frankly, that solo did nothing for me either. Shut it off right after the solo.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2020, 03:49:22 PM »
Wow, that kind of blew. The only reason I hung in there was because you guys were pimpimg the guitarist, and frankly, that solo did nothing for me either. Shut it off right after the solo.

It's not much I agree, but his tones, styles and phrashing has always bern very unique and enjoyable.  Love his playing on Burn the Sun too.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2020, 03:51:30 PM »

It's not much I agree, but his tones, styles and phrashing has always bern very unique and enjoyable. 

That's cool. I'm not familiar with him, so I don't have an ear for the personality of his playing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2020, 03:35:47 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=644728759403718

Full sampler and gotta say I am not feeling it.   I love Conception - IYM made my DTF All Time Top 50 - but I can't see myself rating this album highly if those samples are anything to go by.    A song called She Dragon at around 3.35 in the sampler sounds pretty classic but I am not encouraged by the rest.  Most fans seem to be loving it so perhaps it's just me.  I am rapt to see them back in action regardless and will get the album for sure.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 03:42:46 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2020, 05:50:04 AM »

It's not much I agree, but his tones, styles and phrashing has always bern very unique and enjoyable.  Love his playing on Burn the Sun too.
I agree with you. Tore is one of the more recognizable players in the prog scene for me, and someone should have really taken the prog + hard rock + flamenco music of Ark further, and yet no one did.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2020, 01:24:17 PM »

I agree with you. Tore is one of the more recognizable players in the prog scene for me, and someone should have really taken the prog + hard rock + flamenco music of Ark further, and yet no one did.

It's such a brilliant album that made my top 50.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2020, 02:29:11 PM »
That song was pretty boring...

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2020, 05:02:20 PM »
My fave Conception album is Flow, love it from start to finish and also the debut Ark album, both are in my top 50, which will resume shortly.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2020, 04:33:26 AM »
My fave Conception album is Flow, love it from start to finish and also the debut Ark album, both are in my top 50, which will resume shortly.

:metal :corn

Offline T-ski

« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2020, 10:50:49 AM »
New song! https://youtu.be/QYetdiEa8zg

I like this one a lot.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2020, 03:18:24 AM »
The album is out today, as I pre-ordered the CD and record from the band I was left at the mercy of Spotify.
To my surprise I got an unexpected email with a link the album is lossless because the vinyl is delayed.
Thoughts after a couple of listens on the weekend.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2020, 04:58:18 AM »
Don't kill me but... I can definitely hear Lana Del Rey do a cover of this song, especially during the verses :lol

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2021, 01:43:20 AM »
State Of Deception - crowdfunding deluxe box set, prices start at 200UKP!

Offline nick_z

« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2021, 08:20:14 AM »
Big Conception fan here. Always thought they had a little something that set them apart from the bulk of the power-prog scene of the early-to-mid 90s. Nothing too crazy unique (the influences were definitely there), but they had their sound. I think Roy Khan's singing helped, but I wouldn't underestimate Tore Otsby' guitar work - always tasteful, both in riffs and solos. His contribution to Ark is amazing too.

My faves are probably Parallel Minds and Flow. Also very much enjoyed their comeback - both the EP in 2018 and the album last year (almost feel they could have combined them - although this worked too). Hope they keep going!

Offline T-ski

« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2021, 09:12:03 AM »
They re-recorded “Roll the Fire”….

https://youtu.be/vBsw_0152Zk
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Grappler

« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2021, 07:51:41 PM »
I love that new version of Roll the Fire - it has some added "chunk" to it and it sounds so much heavier.  Khan sounds killer on it as well!

I guess it's going to be in a special edition of the last record, which has a few new versions of older songs.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #93 on: October 15, 2021, 05:59:04 AM »
That's a pretty nice version of the song. Its interesting how changing just a few things in the arrangment can change the whole vibe. I did miss a little bit the couple of high notes Khan sang in the original, but I get why he wouldn't attempt those and after a few listens i got used to it.

Also I really hope they manage to rereleased their old albums eventually. I've always somewhat enjoyed their music since I discovered them a few years, but I've been listening to those albums on youtube lately and I think they rose up to one of my favorite band status at this point.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #94 on: October 15, 2021, 08:43:13 AM »
I had to pay high prices for two of those CD's.  Parallel Minds and Flow each cost me $25 about 10 to 15 years ago.   I managed to snag copies of The Last Sunset and In Your Multitude for $10 each once, when The Lasers Edge found some copies in a warehouse somewhere. 

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #95 on: July 17, 2022, 03:54:35 AM »
The first four Conception albums are being re-issued on remastered CD and coloured vinyl in September with bonus tracks.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2022, 01:45:03 PM »
For anyone looking for Conception CD's....they're coming!

We’re excited to announce that we’re reissuing our Noise Records albums for the first time on coloured vinyl, with remastered audio and new unreleased tracks on September 9th! Watch the new HD video for Roll The Fire and pre-order your copy here: https://conceptionband.lnk.to/ReissuesFA

They’ll also be available on CD and digital platforms!

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #97 on: September 10, 2022, 12:58:25 PM »
Has anyone got the remasters?
I'm over in the UK on holiday and have Flow and PM coming on Tuesday from amazon and a hire car with a CD player  ;D