Author Topic: Biggest WTF moment on albums  (Read 4990 times)

Offline calamitycrush

Re: Biggest WTF moment on albums
« Reply #105 on: September 10, 2022, 02:34:37 AM »
Seconding Dawn Patrol from Rust in Peace. It's not even that bad a song, it's just when stacked up next to the rest of RIP it stands out.

A far worse WTF moment is 'The Baby Song' from Husker Du's 'Flip Your Wig'. Interrupting what would otherwise be a really solid consistent album with a minute of out of tune slide-whistle and xylophone or whatever the hell it is.

Oh, and the big long gap between 'The Fluke' and 'Nobody's Here' from Devin Townsend's Terria. It's got little ambient-y bits sprinkled in but then there's like two minutes of practically nothing. Which would have probably worked as the very ending of the album, but not between songs...
Devin Townsend's discography feels like it should be fertile ground for moments like this but I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #106 on: September 10, 2022, 02:39:06 AM »
The cover of 'Maniac' on Moonglow by Avantasia.  Not a bad cover as such, just jarringly out of place on this album. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #107 on: September 10, 2022, 03:01:21 AM »
I know I'm late to the party, but definitely the A nightmare to remember part.

I just couldn't believe it, and I checked out of DT for a long while afterward before coming back around. My interest in the band was kind of waning at the point that black clouds came out anyway, but then I was like oh man.

And Its a shame, because I do love a lot of A nightmare to remember, especially the chill, slower part. There's an awesome song held hostage by the poorer parts. But oh well.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #108 on: September 10, 2022, 04:22:29 AM »
When I first heard S15, I thought it was cool AF. I still do, even if it runs a tad long. My only issue with it is that they didn't do separate tracks for S15 and TFF.

Yep, another major issue.

The main reason I just don’t listen to that album at all, even though I know I can just skip past it. I’m too stubborn for that 😁. Oh, and all the Morris dancing intros to overlong songs, that too.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #109 on: September 10, 2022, 07:11:05 AM »

Oh, and the big long gap between 'The Fluke' and 'Nobody's Here' from Devin Townsend's Terria. It's got little ambient-y bits sprinkled in but then there's like two minutes of practically nothing. Which would have probably worked as the very ending of the album, but not between songs...
Devin Townsend's discography feels like it should be fertile ground for moments like this but I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

Yeah.  Big Devin fan here, but whether it is that noise at the end of The Fluke, the super long fade-out of Awake!, or the super long ending of Transdermal Celebration, he loves to have those sections that seemingly just pad the length and offer little in the way of value or quality.

Offline DTA

« Reply #110 on: September 10, 2022, 07:28:15 AM »
Reminds me of the reasoning for the long outro of Losing Time/Grand Finale…”we just wanted to see it go to 42 minutes”. So pointless and stupid

Offline HOF

« Reply #111 on: September 10, 2022, 08:06:52 AM »
Oh, speaking of unnecessarily long endings, the 10 minutes or so of silence at the end of Marillion’s This Strange Engine (with some drunken laughter at the very end).

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #112 on: September 10, 2022, 08:27:01 AM »
The last 3 mins or so of Misunderstood. Love the song, but I wish it would have ended sooner.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #113 on: September 10, 2022, 08:46:18 AM »
The last 3 mins or so of Misunderstood. Love the song, but I wish it would have ended sooner.
[/quote

Misunderstood is a top 20 song from Dream Theater for me. The outro is a big reason why.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey