Author Topic: FlyingBIZKIT's Top 50 v. The End is Nigh  (Read 23909 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Top 50 v. Another update?
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2014, 07:33:35 PM »
A little late, but I got your back with Coldplay. Viva La Vida is great, though my favourite song is probably Yes on that one. It's the only Coldplay album I know, but I'd wager that that's still more than the average DTFer. :P

Also, OSI rawks.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2014, 07:45:25 PM »
Moving Pictures is just ....... epic! Not a bad, or even mediocre song on the album.

...but Vital Signs...  :biggrin: hated that song for years but I can at least tolerate it now.

A great album though.
OSI never clicked at all with me.

Pretty much in the same camp, except for the fact that I now recognize Vital Signs for how excellent it is, and complements the other 6 quite nicely.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2014, 08:33:48 PM »
Moving Pictures is good but not one of my favs from Rush.

That first OSI is great and easily their best album IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2014, 09:10:57 PM »
Moving Pictures is awesome and my favorite from Rush!

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2014, 10:21:34 AM »
Moving Pictures and Lizard. :tup Certainly can't complain about those.

Offline 425

« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2014, 11:33:29 AM »
A little late, but I got your back with Coldplay. Viva La Vida is great, though my favourite song is probably Yes on that one. It's the only Coldplay album I know, but I'd wager that that's still more than the average DTFer. :P

Also, OSI rawks.

I'm going to come randomly out of the lurking woodworks (I typically just lurk these types of threads because I don't know that many of the albums) to also defend Coldplay. I'm a new fan and I don't have the two albums you mentioned, but I enjoy X&Y and A Rush of Blood to the Head and the two you named are high on my to-get list.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2014, 01:31:13 PM »
Moving Pictures and the OSI debut are great, although both bands have better albums than those IMO.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2014, 08:49:55 PM »

Also, OSI rawks.

Yes, Yes might actually be my favorite, yes?

And right now, I'm studying for my Calculus final, so I'll probably post the next batch in a few hours.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2014, 09:04:17 PM »
Yes is what I said, yes.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2014, 09:05:47 PM »
Yes.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2014, 09:08:51 PM »
No.

In other news, this discussion caused me to check out the album again, and while Yes is great, I'd put it at least even with Lovers in Japan / Reign of Love and Death and All His Friends. It's really a great album. :tup

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2014, 09:10:46 PM »
Yeah, I'm listening to it now, along with Mylo Xyloto. BRING IT HATERS :angel:

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2014, 09:10:52 PM »
Interestingly, I picked up Viva La Vida a couple days ago when I got Violator.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2014, 09:11:13 PM »
 :tup

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Top 50 v. #36! FLYING through this, yes?
« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2014, 09:46:39 PM »
I really should ask this for every list, or people should just start divulging it when they start.  How many albums do you own/know enough to consider for your list?  Being the science guy, I need to know the sample size to properly known when to praise and harang you.

And you'll get no flack from me for Coldplay because I don't think I've ever heard one of their songs  :lol

If you were a real scientist, you would instead be telling us that this method of determining how knowledgeable the list-maker is is fatally flawed because each person's list would suffer from massive survivorship bias.

You can listen to thousands of albums, but decide most of them aren't worth purchasing.  So one explanation for a different size catalog is how selective one is, rather than how knowledgeable they are.

I don't think we should be criticizing people for their lists or perceived lack of expertise.  I think we should be appreciating that they're sharing them with us.  And I think that's what I see in this forum 99.9% of the time and that's great.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2014, 11:27:26 AM »
nicmos,

First off, look in what you quoted me.  I said, "How many albums do you own/know enough to consider for your list?", thus implying that he could have albums that he knows and doesn't own.

Secondly, it was not an attack, and I'm pretty sure Luke knew it wasn't an attack on him.  If you were more of a regular you'd know I tease everyone here, and the general rule is the more I like someone the more I get on their case.

And finally, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLc2sSUecMA

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2014, 10:34:04 PM »
nicmos,

First off, look in what you quoted me.  I said, "How many albums do you own/know enough to consider for your list?", thus implying that he could have albums that he knows and doesn't own.

Secondly, it was not an attack, and I'm pretty sure Luke knew it wasn't an attack on him.  If you were more of a regular you'd know I tease everyone here, and the general rule is the more I like someone the more I get on their case.

I can attest to that.

Biscuit, get us back on track with an update, will ya?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2014, 11:00:54 PM »
Seriously Luke, wtf? How long are you going to make us wait?
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2014, 11:34:05 PM »
Ban Luke. He's been holding us back from our true potential as a forum for too long. Gotta jettison the dead weight sometimes.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2014, 01:00:27 AM »
Bitch, hold on. Alright, sorry bout that. You know how I am. Unreliable.....and there might be some SW in this list.. so sorry to whoever is following and doesn't like Steven Wilson. I believe Mason is the anti-Steve guy on this forum, am I right?

#29. Blackfield II - Blackfield (2007)

Blackfield's best album, easily. Every song on here is short and sweet. That''s the one thing about this band I really love and appreciate, as it's nice to listen to them and "breathe" after listening to a lot of the music I usually hear. The albums aren't very long, and about every song they've made is really catchy and gorgeous. Steven Wilson and Aviv Geffin are a great tag-team, and together, they both can create some quality music. My first discovery of this band was on Pandora, which I rarely use. I believe I was listening to PT radio, and the first BF song I heard was Christenings, which was on this album. I'm glad I made this discovery and many on this forum seem to like them too. Cool.

Favorite Track: Some Day

#28. Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine (1992)

RATM is one fun band to listen to, and probably the closest thing to rap music I'll ever listen to. I guess you can define their music as a great combo of Metal, Rap, and Funk. Unfortunately, they only had 4 albums, but I think all 4 ended up being really great albums that still hold up to this day, especially the self-titled album. RATM is one of those bands you really have to be in an energetic mood to listen to, well, for me at least. Great guitar work on this album, and the vocals are well-done and certainly fit the music very well. This sentence right here is only filler, and it's use is to make this write-up actually appear longer and more interesting. Great stuff!

Favorite Track: Settle For Nothing

#27. Storm Corrosion - Storm Corrosion (2012)

Probably a surprising pick, but then again, probably not, since it's Steven Wilson. This is a very weird project, but a good one. There are actually no plans to make a second album, which is a bit disappointing, but who knows what'll happen. Storm Corrosion brings a lot (or little) to the table with such ambient, atmospheric music. It's very dark and haunting, but peaceful and calm at the same time. The title track and the final track are some of the most spectacular pieces of music I've ever heard. Mikael and Steven make a great pair, but what they've created here sounds nothing like Porcupine Tree nor Opeth. That's why it's awesome.

Favorite Track: Ljudet Innan

• DT.net Member
« Reply #90 on: April 23, 2014, 01:07:55 AM »
Settle for Nothing?  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

I love that album, thogh.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: April 23, 2014, 01:09:20 AM »
Yeah. Been listening to that one a lot lately.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #92 on: April 23, 2014, 06:26:49 AM »
Good call on Ljudet Innan- such a fantastically peaceful song. The whole album is great, but that one has always stood out for me as well (along with the title track).

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2014, 07:41:37 AM »
Nice update!  You know how I feel about RATM!!  :tupb :metal :metal  Although... you have it ranked higher than me.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: April 23, 2014, 11:31:39 AM »
I don't hate SW, I just don't LOVE his his music projects like some people here do.

You did get Blackfield 1 > other Blackfields right.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2014, 01:31:51 PM »
nicmos,

I'm sorry if I got it wrong.  Obviously there are lots of opportunities for the tone of something to not come across clearly in written communication.  I've done it too, and I don't want to unfairly accuse someone of being a jerk if that wasn't their intention.  I can only say on its face it came across as elitist to me.  But I will take your word for it and I apologize.

Secondly, how do you know I'm not a regular?  Just because I don't post doesn't mean I don't lurk.  Maybe I only post when I feel like I have something to say.

Finally, does that mean you like me a lot??  ;D

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2014, 02:15:38 PM »
You're avatar is very fitting, nicmos  :tup

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2014, 02:52:28 PM »
We're cool.  You aren't the first person to not get when I was joking with someone, and they all tend to be sub 1000 post count peeps.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2014, 06:53:01 PM »
He loves me. He has one of my quotes as his Sig.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2014, 06:54:34 PM »
You're avatar is very fitting, nicmos  :tup

:rollin

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #100 on: April 24, 2014, 07:30:13 PM »
Yeah, seriously, I read his entire post in the voice of Larry David.   :biggrin:

Also, Luke, now that you're done with your exams can we expect to get another update soon? I'm not expecting 25 in a day or anything crazy like that, but maybe a couple here and there?

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2014, 08:42:57 AM »
#26. Blood - OSI (2009)

OSI has given their best effort here, and it's their heaviest album (I would say). I love Mike Portnoy and Gavin Harrison, but I always felt like Harrison's drumming really clicked with the music more for this band. His drumming is more aggressive, at least in this project. There aren't really any long songs on here, with the lengthiest being just under 7 minutes. Matheos really displays some awesome work here, writing some brilliant riffs that shine on their own, or backing up Kev Mo's vocals. This is easily OSI's darkest album, and it's their best.

Favorite Track: Blood

Yeah, only one update. Cause that marks the last album before my ultimately amazing Top 25.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2014, 08:43:59 AM »
Also, Luke, now that you're done with your exams can we expect to get another update soon? I'm not expecting 25 in a day or anything crazy like that, but maybe a couple here and there?

No, I don't plan to finish this list, because that's who I am.  :heart

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #103 on: April 25, 2014, 09:13:25 AM »
I've only ever listened to Blood one time through, and if I remember correctly it was on your advice. I don't remember being too wowed, but maybe I'll give it another try soon.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: April 25, 2014, 08:34:47 PM »
BLOOD :heart