Author Topic: FlyingBIZKIT's Top 50 v. The End is Nigh  (Read 23910 times)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Top 50 v. Top 10 Has Begun
« Reply #175 on: May 28, 2014, 09:56:27 PM »
I'm tempted to write my next two now.. :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #176 on: May 28, 2014, 09:58:52 PM »
Screw that, do all of 'em.

Both these albums are great, btw.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #177 on: May 28, 2014, 10:09:53 PM »
Wish You Were Here is one of the greatest albums ever made.   :hefdaddy

Definitely agree about Shine On You Crazy Diamond. I'm not sure I have an all time favorite song, but that one has to be way up there. :heart

And Colors. :metal My favorite BTBAM album. Just amazing front to back. The last couple minutes of White Walls is probably one of the most epic, emotionally-driven moments in music history.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #178 on: May 28, 2014, 10:15:43 PM »
#5. Signify - Porcupine Tree (1996)

A year ago, I would have had this in the bottom half of my Porcupine Tree album rankings, but now, it's at the top. I don't know, and I can't explained what happened with my relationship to this album, but it clicked like a son of a bitch. I always thought The Dark Side of the Moon was the best album to listen to with headphones in the dark, but this tops it. Signify holds a very important position in PT's history, as it was the bridge between the psychedelic (early side) and the more modern (later side) sound. Signify is a very mellow album, and very dark, but it is unbelievably beautiful. I think Dark Matter holds the spot for Porcupine Tree's  best song. They've never made anything else like it. Many songs on this album took a long time for them to grow, such as, well, all of them. I guess I never really understood this album. And now that I do, I'm glad I did, and it's just spectacular.

Favorite Track: Dark Matter

#4. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence - Dream Theater (2002)

Used to hold the #1 spot for my favorite album, for a couple years. Over time, I wouldn't say it has really fallen, but others have just surpassed it. Not gonna go on a whole lot about this for obvious reasons. SDOIT is by far my favorite DT album. SFAM is 2nd, and it doesn't even come close. All 6 songs on this album are magnificent. I remember doing a top 50 DT songs list, and all songs from this album made my top 10. That was a while back, but I still think it applies nowadays. Love it.

Favorite Track: Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #179 on: May 28, 2014, 10:21:33 PM »
My third favorite DT album. Not a bad song on it. There really isn't much more to say.  :lol :tup

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #180 on: May 28, 2014, 11:08:38 PM »
Both great albums, although I wouldn't place either of them in my all-time top 5.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #181 on: May 28, 2014, 11:09:14 PM »
I love SDOIT's first disc.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #182 on: May 29, 2014, 02:08:30 AM »
I love SDOIT's first disc.

I love SDOIT's 2nd disc.  :biggrin:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: May 29, 2014, 02:27:43 AM »

I love SDOIT's 2nd disc.  :biggrin:
................and didn't even play it for many years, I was so disappointed in disc one at the time of release.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: May 29, 2014, 05:37:47 AM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #185 on: May 29, 2014, 05:50:43 AM »
last for albums are meh, meh, yeh, and yeh

Wow, I'm amazed to see GFD this high, when normally people tend to prefer Insurgentes

do they really? I'm not trying to be a smart ass or anything, I honestly don't know. Somehow I always thought most folks did prefer GFD, but maybe that's just my own preferences leaking through.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #186 on: May 29, 2014, 10:50:03 AM »
#3. Weather Systems - Anathema (2012)

I always enjoyed We're Here Because We're Here, but Weather Systems really appeals to me even more. This album contains some of the most precious music I've heard.. both Untouchable songs are great, with the first part being more upbeat, and the second, more chill. Vincent Cavanagh can really sing is heart out too, along with Lee Douglas, and of course Daniel Cav. Lee's performance on Lightning Song is just outstanding. The Storm Before the Calm is just the definition of gorgeous, at the end of the song. Internal Landscapes is one of those songs that can really take you away, and all you feel is happiness. I don't know how many times I've heard it, but I get the same feeling every single time. I feel like most people like WHBWH better, but I just can't see it. This album is a jewel. Also, can't wait! Distant Satellites is coming out very soon.

Favorite Track: Internal Landscapes

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #187 on: May 29, 2014, 12:18:03 PM »
Haven't heard the Floyd, but Grace For Drowning is fantastic.

And I'm the opposite.  I don't care for SW, but WYWH is sheer brilliance.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Top 50 v. The End is Nigh
« Reply #188 on: May 29, 2014, 02:54:01 PM »
I can certainly see how SDOIT could be in your top spot.  That album shows DT's peak creativity and skill.

Weather Systems is a really enjoyable listen for me when I'm working.  It is great at what it does.  In some ways I think it is superior to WHBWH, but not all ways.  Not the type of thing I would put in my top 50, but I like it a lot nonetheless.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #189 on: May 29, 2014, 04:10:28 PM »
I can certainly see how SDOIT could be in your top spot.  That album shows DT's peak creativity and skill.

Weather Systems is a really enjoyable listen for me when I'm working.  It is great at what it does.  In some ways I think it is superior to WHBWH, but not all ways.  Not the type of thing I would put in my top 50, but I like it a lot nonetheless.

The last 2 Anathema albums are ok. I play them occaisionally when I'm in the mood but I hardly ever get all the way through. I just feel the need for something livelier after a few tracks of mellow.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #190 on: May 29, 2014, 04:50:30 PM »
OH YES :heart. I thought I was the only one who had this masterpiece in a all-time top 5. It has the most beautiful rock music I've ever heard. I think I love you :-X.

do they really? I'm not trying to be a smart ass or anything, I honestly don't know. Somehow I always thought most folks did prefer GFD, but maybe that's just my own preferences leaking through.
I've seen GFD on lots of tops here, but on another forums and FB prog pages, I read Insurgentes>The Raven...>Grace For Drowning all the time.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: May 29, 2014, 08:43:22 PM »

I play them occaisionally when I'm in the mood but I hardly ever get all the way through. I just feel the need for something livelier after a few tracks of mellow.

I seem to spend my time following you around agreeing with you at the moment Paul , so why not here too ?  ;D

I struggle with the mellow/ melancholy stuff - with the odd exception my attention span is usually about 15-20  minutes before this boy needs to rawk again  :metal   ;D ...................or at least something with some more variable/prominent melodies.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #192 on: May 29, 2014, 08:50:23 PM »
OH YES :heart. I thought I was the only one who had this masterpiece in a all-time top 5. It has the most beautiful rock music I've ever heard. I think I love you :-X.

I've seen GFD on lots of tops here, but on another forums and FB prog pages, I read Insurgentes>The Raven...>Grace For Drowning all the time.

on DTF, Insurgentes has been listed 3 times ranked #20, #25, and #29.

GFD has now been listed 5 times with ranks of #8, #14, #16, #26, and #35.

No one has mentioned both albums in the same list yet.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #193 on: May 29, 2014, 10:44:06 PM »
That's really cool that you keep track of all that stuff. Cool stats to look at.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #194 on: May 29, 2014, 10:49:41 PM »
thanks, that's what I do.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #195 on: May 30, 2014, 12:20:52 AM »
Still no Dokken :(
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #196 on: May 30, 2014, 03:20:28 AM »
Absolutely this. Definitely top 5, either 3 or 2, for me also. So beautiful... I think I'll listen to it now

Luke finally did something right  :P

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #197 on: May 30, 2014, 07:30:36 AM »
I find Weather Systems pretty overrated, because Anathema have a bunch of better albums IMO. On the other hand I can see why people like that album, as a lot of fans discovered the band through the latest few records.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #198 on: May 30, 2014, 11:18:05 AM »
Absolutely this. Definitely top 5, either 3 or 2, for me also. So beautiful... I think I'll listen to it now

Luke finally did something right  :P
Just wait 'till you see my #1 ;)

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #199 on: May 30, 2014, 08:20:56 PM »
I already know what the final two are, it's just a matter of the ordering. You know which one I'm cheering for. If you screw this up I'm going to make a trip down to Georgia and break your neck.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #200 on: May 30, 2014, 08:35:20 PM »
You wot m8? Say that to his face. He'll knock your teef in, swear on me mum.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #201 on: May 31, 2014, 12:50:20 AM »
I already know what the final two are, it's just a matter of the ordering. You know which one I'm cheering for. If you screw this up I'm going to make a trip down to Georgia and break your neck.

I can do a drive by on him when I move to Florida if you'd like.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #202 on: May 31, 2014, 05:37:03 AM »

I'll be waiting.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #203 on: May 31, 2014, 05:38:04 AM »

Absolutely- let's kill him twice for good measure.

We're ready for you to finish now, Luke!

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #204 on: June 01, 2014, 05:40:13 PM »
#2. The Parallax II: Future Sequence - Between the Buried and Me (2012)

Holy shit. What an album. I debated putting this at #1, but I had to settle for #2. So now you don't have to kill me, Nelson. Also, no drive-by from Mason. This album is intense, and I can't even begin to describe how intense. It starts off beautifully with "Goodbye to Everything", a slow paced, acoustic driven intro track. Tommy delivers some very beautiful clean vocals, and it sets up for the next track, "Astral Body". Astral Body is probably one of the more accessible (if you want to call it that) songs by BTBAM. It's not too lengthy, but still delivers the same punch. "Lay Your Ghosts To Rest" is an outstanding track, hitting you in the face from the get-go. It's just over 10 minutes, and doesn't disappoint. The chorus is one of the best in their discography, as it's very memorable. Then follows a mellow section, with an awesome bass performance. Then hits, "THE END STARTS NOW!". After this ride, there's a short breather, "Autumn", with some weird ass alien noises. Then begins the keyboard intro of "Extremophile Elite". This one has been in my rotation as of late. The intro is the definition of badass. Great riffs, drumming, and everything. I really love Tommy's vocals on this song, he doesn't hold back. One thing I like about this song is that it pays homage to The Parallax: Hypersleep dialogues. Another breather after this heavy hitter: "Parallax". A spoken word track, which then leads into "The Black Box". A short, but awesome vocal and piano performance from Tommy. Next is probably the most intense BTBAM song I've ever heard: "Telos". Tommy sounds legit angry in this one, and it sends chills (throughout my body). The chill solo ambient section in the middle of the song is one of the major highlights of the album. The guitar solo is just sick. Tommy then emerges with more clean vocals, really shining. After this, it picks up the pace again and he sounds pissed again. "Bloom" is one weird track. It's got a bit of a "Surfer Death Metal" vibe to it. I really like where they went with this one. It's very different from their other stuff, and it's a very fun track. "Melting City" was the only song on this album I didn't appreciate when I first got this album, but now it's incredible. Has intensity, but also has the most beautiful part of the entire album, starting with the flute solo. That part actually makes me feel as if I'm in space, drifting. "Silent Flight Parliament" is the longest track of the album, clocking in just over 15 minutes. Being that long, it goes through several changes, but reprises much of the earlier moments in the album. It's great. "Goodbye to Everything Reprise" is the final track of this brilliant album, as it fades out. When this came out, I loved it. However, it has ONLY gotten better. BTBAM really was a band I wasn't fond of at the beginning of my musical search, but they have clicked like a World of Warcraft player getting his new gaming mouse. This album makes me feel good.

Favorite Tracks: Lay Your Ghosts To Rest, Extremophile Elite, Telos, and Melting City
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 09:33:16 PM by FlyingBIZKIT »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: June 01, 2014, 05:42:52 PM »
Terrific album, interesting to see it so high.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #206 on: June 01, 2014, 05:50:24 PM »
Maybe a stupid question considering what BTBAM is about, but does this album contain lots of growls?

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #207 on: June 01, 2014, 05:54:46 PM »
Maybe a stupid question considering what BTBAM is about, but does this album contain lots of growls?
Yes it does

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: June 01, 2014, 05:57:19 PM »

Fuck yeah it does!  :metal

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #209 on: June 01, 2014, 06:06:24 PM »
Great album. Telos might just be my favourite BTBAM song.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!