Author Topic: FlyingBIZKIT's Top 50 v. The End is Nigh  (Read 23903 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Top 50 v. New Update, yo.
« Reply #140 on: May 18, 2014, 09:23:34 PM »
OPEFF!!!!!!!  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :heart :chill >:( :) :xbones
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #141 on: May 18, 2014, 09:36:59 PM »
Ghost Reveries :heart

I honestly might prefer it to Still Life, though BP still remains my favorite.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #142 on: May 19, 2014, 04:23:51 AM »
Those two might be top 15 for me as well!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: May 19, 2014, 05:24:38 AM »
Best Opeth album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #144 on: May 19, 2014, 06:49:19 AM »
2 great albums :tup

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #145 on: May 22, 2014, 10:14:50 PM »
#13. Terria - Devin Townsend (2001)

The first album of his I've ever heard, and that was about half a year ago. This shit is great. This is the perfect blend of his heaviness and his mellowness, unlike Ghost and Deconstruction. I've heard a lot of complaints about how the album doesn't get good until the third track, Earth Day. Well sir, I think Olives and Mountain are fucking fantastic! The first DT song I actually discovered was Canada, and that surely was a fine choice. Terria just has so many epic, tear jerking moments. Nobody's Here is just gorgeous, the lyrics, the music, everything. This album isn't super technical, and it just flows with pure emotion. And Stagnant...so catchy, just an awesome chorus. I feel like a fanboy here, but man, this is just an incredible album. I hope everyone gets to hear this who hasn't already. I know I'm a bit late to the party, but at least I made it.  :metal

Favorite Track: Stagnant

#12. The Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd (1973)

Has anybody heard this??? HOLY SHIT! I think I just found the coolest band ever! Seriously, not a whole lot to say about this except that it is just perfect. It's one of those albums where you really need to experience it as a whole, with a lot of focus. Definitely one of the albums that needs to be heard before death. So much inspiration can be found in this album, it's crazy. This album never gets old, what a masterpiece!

Favorite Track: Us and Them

• DT.net Member
« Reply #146 on: May 22, 2014, 10:19:25 PM »
Should I use Dark Side to get into them or should I start elsewhere?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #147 on: May 22, 2014, 10:22:50 PM »
Try Ummagumma first.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #148 on: May 22, 2014, 10:25:22 PM »
Thanks!

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #149 on: May 22, 2014, 10:26:52 PM »
No problem man. Really trying to spread the word on this band. It's a shame they're basically unknown.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #150 on: May 22, 2014, 10:50:51 PM »
Had a listen to Dark Side... so/so. Not bad, but the growls were a little out of place and sometimes I felt that the guitarist was just shredding to impress, without any real emotion behind it. I'll check out Ummagumma - I hope they tone down their needless noodling and out-of-place growls on that one.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

• DT.net Member
« Reply #151 on: May 22, 2014, 10:58:38 PM »
Gave Dark Side a listen and, Scrop, you couldn't have been more correct. I'm listening to some Michelangelo Batio to cleanse my ears a little while I regroup and figure out where to go from here. I tried something new today and, results aside, I'm happy with myself.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #152 on: May 22, 2014, 10:59:31 PM »
Yeah, I'm actually gonna just take that shitty ass album out of my Top 50.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #153 on: May 23, 2014, 05:21:50 AM »
Had a listen to Dark Side... so/so. Not bad, but the growls were a little out of place and sometimes I felt that the guitarist was just shredding to impress, without any real emotion behind it. I'll check out Ummagumma - I hope they tone down their needless noodling and out-of-place growls on that one.
I was gonna give it a listen, but now that you say that - I don't wanna listen to some vanilla deathcore or whatever fl0yd is now.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #154 on: May 23, 2014, 10:14:31 AM »
Never listened to Terria, but Id like to

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #155 on: May 23, 2014, 10:35:39 AM »

Is this a serious post, or is it continuing the trend in preceding posts?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #156 on: May 23, 2014, 07:10:57 PM »
Serious post: Terria is Top 5 of all time for me, so kudos for mentioning it. As for Dark Side, it's good, but it's never been one of my favourites... I think I prefer both WYWH and Animals over this one, and maybe even The Division Bell. Still a good album, though, and an absolutely stunning experience to listen to front-to-back.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #157 on: May 23, 2014, 08:13:24 PM »

Is this a serious post, or is it continuing the trend in preceding posts?

Not listening to Terria is a lot more likely than never having heard of DSOTM, so yes I was being serious. I have, however, listened to a few other Devin Townsend related albums. Just haven't gotten around to Terria yet.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #158 on: May 23, 2014, 08:29:24 PM »
Terria is a hard one to get into, plus the sound isn't that great, but on the whole it's my favourite Devin album by a long shot. The atmosphere is just unbeatable.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #159 on: May 23, 2014, 08:39:43 PM »
It was actually really easy for me to get into, and I kinda like the sound of the album :p

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #160 on: May 23, 2014, 08:41:02 PM »
Is the atmosphere comparable to Ki, or completely different? I've always loved the atmosphere on that one.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #161 on: May 23, 2014, 08:46:13 PM »
I kinda suck at describing atmosphere, but Terria definitely has more ambiance than Ki. It also feels more... I dunno, at peace with itself? Ki has that sort of underlying tension, that threatening vibe under the surface, that's only waiting to break loose, you know what I mean? Terria doesn't really have that.

Can't really describe it better than that. Though, to be honest, I know no one who likes Ki and doesn't like Terria, so I'm pretty sure that you'll like it?

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #162 on: May 23, 2014, 08:53:56 PM »
Sounds promising. I definitely get what you're saying about the tension in Ki, but I've always felt so at peace in listening to that album. Maybe that goes back to my first couple listens, when I was really exhausted. I do think there's something to be said for the impact of the circumstances of the initial listen through an album. There's a sort of residue left there, depending on state of mind, that affects later listens. That's just my two cents...

But with your blessing, and Luke's, I'll definitely put some time aside for a listen through Terria. Hopefully soon.  ;D

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #163 on: May 23, 2014, 09:07:21 PM »
You'll hear similarities between the more ambient tracks from the two but as a whole, Terria sounds very serene though immensely heavy at certain bits and rather catchy on others. It's probably his most diverse album so even if you don't like it in its entirety (which isn't likely if you're a Devin fan honestly :lol) I guarantee you're gonna find some songs that you'll love to no end.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #164 on: May 23, 2014, 09:08:57 PM »
I think Earth Day is one of the best things Devin has ever done, but as a whole I just don't get the enjoyment out of Terria that I do out of say OM:B or Synchestra.  But I'm not complaining-- Terria's a very good listen.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #165 on: May 25, 2014, 09:18:44 PM »
#11. Visions - Haken (2011)

Haken's best album. The first Haken song I discovered was the behemoth of a song, Visions. It is one of the greatest songs I've ever heard in my life. Haken is one of the only bands I've ever heard that instantly clicked. All my favorite bands, well, I didn't instantly like them. I started loving this band right away. They only have 3 albums so far, but all 3 are fantastic, and I can't wait to see what they pull out of their asses next time. Every track is gold on here, and it flows so well. I bet you don't REMEMBER ME. Haken is fairly popular around here, but to those of you that have not heard them, listen to the song, Visions. If you don't enjoy it, well, u crae crae.

Favorite Track: Visions

#10. One Day Remains - Alter Bridge (2004)

I can thank my brother for this one. He bought this right when it came out...and I was 9 years old. This is an extremely personal album to me, especially as of late, considering the hardship I've faced last year. A lot of the songs didn't really do a whole lot for me, until recently, and now, they mean so much. In Loving Memory, Shed My Skin, Down To My Last, Broken Wings, and Open My Eyes are all extremely beautiful songs. The overall theme of this album may be cliche, but I find it very inspiring. The album title refers to living life like there's only one day left. I feel like many days I've wasted, just because I mourned over things, and didn't feel motivated to do anything. Then, this album really hit. I feel great. It's a sad listen every time, but the message behind it really does guide me. Myles Kennedy and Mark Tremonti are so good at what they do, and are some of the best musicians I've had the pleasure of hearing. I find this album to be more enjoyable than AB's later albums. While it's not as heavy, it doesn't need to be. The theme and music are both perfect to me.

Favorite Track: In Loving Memory

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Top 50 v. Top 10 Has Begun
« Reply #166 on: May 25, 2014, 09:23:53 PM »
Both are good albums, but not my favourites by their respective artists. Visions is good (DEATHLESS :heart) but I think that The Mountain is on a whole different level, with Parodeilia being my favourite Haken song ever (the BREATHE IN THE PAIN section is godly).

Similar, while I like One Day Remains, it's a little Creed-y for my tastes, and my favourite is Blackbird, which I consider to the album where they first found their own sound, as opposed to sounding a lot like Creed with some additional sprinkles thrown in. Plus, the title track on that album and Watch Over You are probably the best things that Alter Bridge have ever written.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #167 on: May 25, 2014, 09:45:57 PM »
Still no Dokken :'(

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #168 on: May 28, 2014, 08:23:18 PM »
#9. Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd (1975)

Pink Floyd's best album, fo sho. First Floyd album I heard, and it still remains my favorite. Shine On You Crazy Diamond might just be my favorite song of all time. At least it sure feels like it when I spin this album. Only 4 songs on here (if you combine both Shine On tracks) and all 4 are completely different, and perfect :heart Wish You Were Here is one of the most emotional albums I've heard, and it can bring me to tears, unlike a lot of music. The title track sure brings back a lot of memories, and it's a song that never gets old. This is the 2nd album of the "Big Four Floyd Albums", and I think it's the best, by a good margin. I love Dark Side and Animals as well... I find The Wall to be a bit overrated, but it's still nice. Anyway, on to the next

Favorite Track: Shine On You Crazy Diamond

#8. Grace For Drowning - Steven Wilson (2011)

Beautiful, just beautiful. Some may consider this album a bit long, but it's just amazing. It seems most people prefer The Raven to Grace, but Grace really outshines the others, I think. So much variety on this album, and a lot of influence, especially from KC's Lizard. Grace is one of those albums I put on when I don't know exactly what I'm in the mood for, because this album has it all. There heavy moments in tracks such as Raider II and Remainder the Black Dog, and some more mellow moments in songs like Postcard and Like Dust I Have Cleared From My Eye. I guess if I had to pick between the first disc and the second, I'll just go with the first, but both are outstanding, and so different. This album really is a work of art, and it really made me okay with PT being on an indefinite hiatus. I can't wait to see what he brings next, because I know it'll be great.

Favorite Track: Like Dust I Have Cleared From My Eye

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #169 on: May 28, 2014, 08:26:41 PM »
Haven't heard the Floyd, but Grace For Drowning is fantastic.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #170 on: May 28, 2014, 08:52:58 PM »
Wow, I'm amazed to see GFD this high, when normally people tend to prefer Insurgentes - will check it out. Haven't listened Wish You Were Here enough, but I don't like it as much as Dark Side. Great list, btw  :tup

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: May 28, 2014, 09:07:34 PM »
I'll admit I generally struggle with music that is as "laid back" as these two...........I do love Shine On etc...... so Gilmour often has a way of drawing me in despite my usual tastes whereas Wilson usually doesn't quite manage it.  I've sampled a few tracks off GFD and, although I certainly don't actively dislike it , I'd really have to be in the mood for it. 
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #172 on: May 28, 2014, 09:08:24 PM »
Just because y'all are cool, and I've been slow, I'll post more in a bit.  :tup

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #173 on: May 28, 2014, 09:43:35 PM »
#7. The Fragile - Nine Inch Nails (1999)

What a long album, but a great one. Never in my life, would I have imagined a Nine Inch Nails album being one of my all time favorites. That was probably because I had no idea Reznor had this kind of awesome ability. While The Downward Spiral is considered the best NIN album, I don't think it even comes close. Neither does Pretty Hate Machine. While those are good, The Fragile is a completely different machine. I blind bought this at Best Buy, and I had no expectations as to what this album was going to be like. I figured it'd be cool. So the night I purchased it, I decided to give it a spin. Well, after the first 3 songs, I got tired and went to sleep. It's very overwhelming, especially when there are two lengthy discs of music. So I just took it one disc at a time. I listened to disc one for a long time, and I just absolutely loved it. I almost forgot there was a disc two. Then I started listening to that, and was amazed just like I was with the first one. The thing I really love about Trent Reznor is that nobody else sounds like him. His creations are so unique, and they are very memorable. I have a feeling a lot of you haven't heard this album, but I strongly recommend it. It's nothing like The Downward Spiral (Which can be really chaotic). This is a perfect album.

Favorite Track: The Big Come Down

#6. Colors - Between the Buried and Me (2007)

Funny story about my first experience with this band.. My friend Matt and I were searching for some new music to listen to, and we came across BTBAM. We started Prequel to the Sequel, and we were thinking "WOW! This is so cool!" Then the vocals came in, and I remember saying "Next!". Wow, was I stupid. I was very bullheaded and didn't want to expand my musical tastes. I finally went back to this band later, and slowly got into them. The first song I really liked was White Walls. Of course, the heavy vocals really threw me off. I only truly enjoyed Tommy's clean vocals, but as time passed, the heavy ones really grew on me. Now, I fucking love them. _floyd and Seneca sure know my love for this band.. :lol Something about BTBAM just really clicks with me. Colors is one hell of a ride, too. It flows so smooth, and it's just a great listen from start to finish. Several highlights in this album, I can't even begin to name. RE BUILD RE BUILD RE BUILD RE BUILD.  :metal What can I say? I'm wubsessed with this band.

Favorite Track: Sun of Nothing

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: May 28, 2014, 09:53:42 PM »
Looking forward to the next update  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au