Author Topic: FlyingBIZKIT's Top 50 v. The End is Nigh  (Read 23908 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Top 50 v. Another update?
« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2014, 12:41:18 PM »
And here we are, my Top 25!

#25. The Raven That Refused to Sing (And Other Stories) - Steven Wilson (2013)

What an album! Wilson has 3 solo albums, and all of them sound different. This last one feels like classic prog, mixed with some modern sounds. Most of the songs on here are longer, but there are only six tracks. I first heard Luminol on the Get All You Deserve blu-ray, and I thought it was the most fantastic and energized song he's made as far as his solo efforts go. There's a great amount of musicianship on this album. Steven Wilson and his usual beautiful layered vocals. Marco's drumming is perfect for this album: over the top and everywhere. Also not to mention Govan's badass guitar work , especially his solo in Drive Home. The Raven is full of incredible journeys, but the end of this album is really what makes it special for me. I always thought Wilson was a very good vocalist, and this song really supports that. Everything about the title track is beautiful, and is one of the best songs Steven has ever created.  :heart

Favorite Track: The Raven That Refused to Sing

#24. The Mountain - Haken (2013)

When awaiting this album, I was expecting something more along the lines of the first two albums, but this one is really different. Same band, same style, but I felt this was the most mature approach, yet. I thought it was pretty cool at first, but it took a little while to really click with me, unlike the first two, which clicked instantly. I've seen people compare Haken to DT all the time, and I just don't see it. Sure, they're both progressive metal, but these bands sound a lot different from each other. I'm really curious to see how the future for Haken looks, as they've got a lot of potential to be one of my favorite bands of all time. Anyway, The Mountain has a lot of variety: Absolutely beautiful tracks (Because It's There), and quirky ass metal (Cockroach King). One thing that really needs to be mentioned is the chorus of Falling Back to Earth. That has to be one of the best choruses I've heard in a song in years. SAY YOUR LAST GOODBYYYESSS, I WON'T BE BACK AGAINNNNNNNN

Favorite Track: Falling Back to Earth

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Top 50 v. Top 25!
« Reply #107 on: April 28, 2014, 04:42:10 PM »
Two amazing albums. The Raven... took a while to grow on me and I love it now. On the other hand, The Mountain really blowed my mind when it came out but now I can't stand half the songs. Anyways, glad to see some recent albums high on your list :tup

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: April 28, 2014, 05:28:06 PM »
I struggle with these two but I'm not a big fan of classic prog rock , so that's no surprise.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #109 on: April 28, 2014, 05:56:44 PM »
Nice ones. :tup

I remember right around The Mountain's release, everybody adored it yet blasted Cockroach King. Never understood why. It's a killer song, one of my favorites from the album in fact.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #110 on: April 28, 2014, 06:27:21 PM »
You already know my issues with The Mountain, and my love for TRTRTS, but it's a nice update regardless.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Top 50 v. #25-#22
« Reply #111 on: April 29, 2014, 07:43:57 PM »
#23. Blackwater Park - Opeth (2001)

It took me a little while to get into really heavy music, and it was always the growls that really pushed me away from it. It always interested me, the presence of heavy music WITH heavy vocals, but I couldn't find the right bands. I think recently I've gotten into more metal, and it's been a fun ride. Opeth is a grand example of progressive and death metal combined. Blackwater Park was the first album by them I've ever heard, and it just really punches me in the face every time I hear it (If you don't believe me, I'll show you the bruises). Opeth surely isn't like other metal bands, the amount of melody and aggression they put out on these albums is insane. Mikael has some of the most haunting vocals I've heard, out of any band. I know Opeth is really big around here, so I don't have to say much more. This album is a classic.

Favorite Track: Blackwater Park

#22. Pulse - Thomas Giles (2011)

While BTBAM is certainly a very heavy band, the vocalist sure did put out a very different solo album. Pulse is only the first album from Tommy, but a new one is supposed to be here by the end of this year, I think. One thing I've always loved about the band was Tommy's clean vocals. I was curious to hear an album where it's nearly all clean vocals, though, and I could never get that with a BTBAM album. Pulse is the perfect response to that. This album was written and composed completely by himself, with the exception of one song. While everything on this album sounds nothing like BTBAM, these tracks really are simplistic, but beautiful at the same time. His vocals shine on this album, in really just about every song. Two songs, Medic, and Catch and Release, involve some of his heavier vocals. Pulse is a very experimental work, and I can't wait to see what he brings to the table next time around.

Favorite Track: Armchair Travel

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Top 50 v. 25-22
« Reply #112 on: April 29, 2014, 08:16:36 PM »
Pulse is a good album.

Blackwater Park is a very good album.

Therefore, Blackwater Park > Pulse

Come on, man.  :biggrin:

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #113 on: April 29, 2014, 08:17:17 PM »
Fuck! I'll get it right next time. :metal

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #114 on: April 29, 2014, 09:29:18 PM »
Oh yeah, and props to b_f for introducing me to Opeth.  :tup

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #115 on: April 29, 2014, 09:39:51 PM »
Glad to help as always. Though I only know a couple of their albums, I really plan on giving BWP a shot soon since the word of mouth seems quite good around here.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #116 on: April 30, 2014, 12:06:05 PM »
#21. The Whirlwind - Transatlantic (2009)

This band is magical. This album is magical. I've always adored the Portnoy/Morse combo, and I think Roine and Pete are so gifted at what they do. One of my favorite parts about this album is actually the production... you can hear everything (even the bass) perfectly. Unlike TA's first, second, and fourth albums, this one has several tracks. I guess it can be considered one giant song, but I don't really look at it that way. This album is really rocking and grooving all at the same time (On the Prowl, Evermore), and some are just dazzling (Rose Colored Glasses). The Whirlwind, I think, is easily the most accessible Transatlantic album, it's got a bit of everything in it. It has been a long time since I've last listened to it, so I think I'll go do that now.  :metal

Favorite Track: Is It Really Happening?

#20. The Afterman - Coheed and Cambria (2012-2013)

Yeah, I know, they are two separate albums, but they are one story, so I always listen to them as one. I actually bought the signed version of the complete 2 disc version a while back, and it's beautiful. Coheed and Cambria is a band that took a little while to really swallow ( :yeahright) Once they clicked, they became one of my favorites. I haven't listened to them much recently, but just doing this write-up makes me wanna run through their discography again. I don't really know which disc I would say is better, as both are great. I'd probably just say Descension..it has more of my favorites. All Key Entity Extraction songs are really great, and there are a lot of other great random ones. Coheed, while maintaining that same form over the course of their albums, I feel like their sound has changed over time, which is good, in this case. It sounds nothing like their other albums, and that's what I love about it. After the somewhat disappointing Year of the Black Rainbow, it's nice to see them step their game up again.

Favorite Track: Iron Fist

Offline senecadawg2

Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Top 50 v. 25-20
« Reply #117 on: April 30, 2014, 01:58:57 PM »
I still haven't listened to the Whilrwind, but I can appreciate your choice of The Afterman. Although, I'm not entirely sure I would agree with you that all the Key Entity Extraction songs are great. Holly Wood is probably one of my least favorite C&C songs; it's got the most unpleasant vocal delivery I've ever heard from Claudio.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: April 30, 2014, 02:57:47 PM »
Transatlantic is a band I've bought a few discs from and not got around to yet (classic style prog rock not being my thing I'm not sure how I'll react to it ) but the others I've tried and (mostly) failed to like.   The only track on Blackwater Park that did anything for me was Harvest (I rated it very highly) and I liked (but wouldn't rave over) about half of Damnation so I suppose that says something about my taste there.  They're the only albums by Opeth that I have.

C&C I've sampled plenty and never found much to like - will try your recommend track though.  I will likely recover my enthusiasm on the return of some classic rock and metal :)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #119 on: April 30, 2014, 03:32:15 PM »
I think I would prefer silence to C&C.

Bridge Across Forever better be coming up.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #120 on: April 30, 2014, 10:38:19 PM »
Dat C&C artwork is quite something.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #121 on: May 01, 2014, 08:21:29 AM »
I approve of both of these choices.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #122 on: May 01, 2014, 12:46:29 PM »
BWP :metal My favorite of Opeth's. An utter masterpiece.

And the Whirlwind is fantastic. I'd have to agree about it being the most accessible.

I actually have yet to listen to any C&C album in full. I should remedy that.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Top 50 v. #19 and #18!
« Reply #123 on: May 02, 2014, 03:34:09 PM »
#19. The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion - dredg (2009)

I actually listened to this just a couple hours ago, and I forgot how great it was. dredg has a really clean sound to them, especially on this record. There are many tracks, but some of them are merely transition tracks and it allows for the album to flow really well. The whole album is very good, but it really picks up at Cartoon Showroom. Those last four tracks are just perfect, and it's one of the best ways to end an album. The first song I heard off this was Gathering Pebbles and I thought this was just the coolest band. I think Gavin Hayes looks a lot like Mark Ruffalo. Anyway, I've seen them get a good bit of recognition on here, and it's well deserved. I actually have Catch Without Arms and El Cielo, but this one stands out to me the most.

Favorite Track: Quotes

#18. Metropolis Pt II: Scenes From a Memory - Dream Theater (1999)

I won't go on too much about this one, for obvious reasons. Scenes has it all: A good concept and great music. Rudess makes a wonderful debut on this one, and James sounds fantastic on here. For a while, I hated Home. Which is funny, because now, it's one of my favorites. This album took some time to grow, but it really paid off. It's a very good winter album, I think. Anyway. Yeah.

Favorite Track: The Spirit Carries On

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #124 on: May 02, 2014, 03:40:52 PM »
If I was ranking all your submissions thus far, those two would be at the top.  :tup

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #125 on: May 02, 2014, 03:48:11 PM »
And if there's anything we here at DTF can do, it's ranking things.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #126 on: May 02, 2014, 06:27:59 PM »
Keep meaning to check out dredg. They seem to get some good praise around here.

SFAM on the other hand.  :hefdaddy is all I can say. :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: May 02, 2014, 11:51:04 PM »
I will check out dredg - tried some samples in the past and certainly didn't dislike them but seemed a bit "chilled" for my taste.  Will give them a better chance on Spotify or MOG.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #128 on: May 03, 2014, 03:30:06 AM »
Lots of good albums there, but in the wrong order. Blackwater Park needs to be higher and the title-track is nowhere near the best song on the album. You know this Luke :P
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #129 on: May 03, 2014, 05:52:37 AM »
I think I would prefer silence to C&C.

Bridge Across Forever better be coming up.

Word.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #130 on: May 09, 2014, 11:42:50 PM »
Been a very busy week, I'll post more tomorrow evening. PROMISE :hat

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #131 on: May 12, 2014, 10:21:58 AM »
Okay guys, seriously, quit fucking around!  :biggrin:

Sorry, just been super busy. Working at a flower shop all Mother's Day week so I've had little time to do it at home. I've got to run a couple errands but I will get RIGHT back on it WHEN I get BACK.

And yeah, I realized I broke a promise. Oops.  :\

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #132 on: May 12, 2014, 01:47:28 PM »
#17. Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through The Eyes of Madness - Coheed and Cambria (2005)

Coheed's best album easily, for me. When I first wanted to get into this band, I remember just blind buying two albums. This, and In Keeping Secrets. Turns out, I chose the right ones. That was before The Afterman was released, of course. My first spins of this album, well I thought I had wasted my money. The vocals were really not up my alley, and it just felt weird. Though one night, this album just clicked. I was falling asleep, and it just really hit me. It was beautiful. This album is full of amazing songs, and of course has what is probably their most popular song, Welcome Home. Coheed and Cambria is a band I like to listen to during the Summer, so maybe that's why I've been in a big mood to listen to them.

Favorite Track: Apollo II: The Telling Truth

#16. Rust In Peace - Megadeth (1990)

This is the first metal album I heard. Before this, I didn't listen to anything close to metal, and I never thought I would. This album will always be high in my rankings due to the fact it still holds up and that it was a gateway album for me. I still go back to it a lot, and it just did a great job of opening me up to more metal. And not just metal, but more rock. I really feel like I would have never heard of Dream Theater if it were not for this album, and that means there would be no top 50 list from me (THANK GOD!). This is by far the best thrash metal album I've heard, with Peace Sells being a distant 2nd. Metallica just doesn't do a whole lot for me, and I feel Megadeth (at least the old albums) is the king of thrash metal. This album has some of the best solos and riffs I've ever heard, and I just love Ellefson's bass playing throughout the album. This is a classic, and I will always love it. Oh, and for those of you that haven't heard it and are interested, listen to the original version. The remastered version REALLY bothers me.

Favorite Track: Rust in Peace...Polaris

Offline senecadawg2

Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Top 50 v. New Update, yo.
« Reply #133 on: May 12, 2014, 02:05:20 PM »
two for two!

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #134 on: May 12, 2014, 02:14:10 PM »
You know, I'm going to admit I've never listened to Megadeth's old albums (before Countdown) mainly because of Mustaine's voice.  But your glowing review makes me want to listen to this one definitely.  You think this is way better than their mainstream (i.e. Countdown and after)  records?

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #135 on: May 12, 2014, 02:21:18 PM »
I can't speak for Luke, but I know I definitely prefer Rust in Peace to anything else they've put out. His voice is a little rough for me, but I think it works in small doses. Rust in Peace is just that- the perfect dose.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #136 on: May 12, 2014, 03:17:13 PM »
You know, I'm going to admit I've never listened to Megadeth's old albums (before Countdown) mainly because of Mustaine's voice.  But your glowing review makes me want to listen to this one definitely.  You think this is way better than their mainstream (i.e. Countdown and after)  records?

I think it's miles better. If you listen to RIP and don't enjoy it, it probably just isn't for you, because many can agree with me that RIP is the best thing they've released.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #137 on: May 12, 2014, 04:49:35 PM »
I have yet to fully delve into C&C's stuff, but really enjoyed the few songs that I know from them.

It still blows my mind how many crushing, monster riffs there are in RIP. I understand how Mustaine's vocals might not suit everyone, but he fits the music so well. Definitely one of my favorite metal releases.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: May 13, 2014, 05:32:27 AM »
RIP is an absolute classic, but never was a top Megadeth album for me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #139 on: May 18, 2014, 09:17:50 PM »
#15. Ghost Reveries - Opeth (2005)

I've already done this, but I'd like to, once again, thank _floyd for really getting me into this band. I had wanted to listen to them for the longest time but just had no clue where to start. The first song he recommended was "Bleak" from Blackwater Park, and I thoroughly enjoyed that song and album. The 2nd Opeth album I really got into was Ghost Reveries, and I found it to be even better than BP. Ghost Reveries has a great prog and metal blend that just works so well. I love how songs like "The Grand Conjuration" can just be so heavy and make this a bad ass album, and I also love that GR has one of the most beautiful songs I've heard in a long time, "Hours of Wealth". Opeth is certainly good about being able to write in a variety of styles, so props to them for that.

Favorite Track: The Grand Conjuration

#14. We're Here Because We're Here - Anathema (2010)

When I first joined this forum (3 years ago today!), I heard nothing but constant praise about this album and the band. I had never heard of Anathema and I didn't know what they sounded like. I remember giving this album a spin a while back, but didn't really think much of it. I guess I was in my big DT fanboy phase at that point, so I was stingy when it came to other music. A year or so later, I tried again. It worked, big time. Anathema has to be one of the most beautiful bands I've ever heard in my life, and WHBWH does an outstanding job of making me feel happy. This is one of the only bands I can really listen to, where no matter what is going on, I can just be happy. The lyrics, the music, it's just simply gorgeous. I have yet to hear a lot of their earlier material, and I know it's different from the music they've put out recently, but I'm very curious about it. Dreaming Light is probably one of my favorite songs I've ever heard in my life.  :heart Oh, and I can't wait 'till the new album comes out! :tup

Favorite Track: Dreaming Light