Author Topic: Web's Rookie Roulette! *FINAL Results!*  (Read 35400 times)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Web's Rookie Roulette! *Rd.7 Results*
« Reply #175 on: May 22, 2014, 04:47:55 AM »
This round has been the weakest for me every time so no surprises there. Sent round 8
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #176 on: May 22, 2014, 06:34:57 AM »
Sent! A monster
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #177 on: May 22, 2014, 09:30:45 PM »
Round 8 sent
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: May 25, 2014, 08:39:34 PM »
:bump:

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #179 on: May 26, 2014, 06:47:56 AM »
Was just wondering this morning if everyone had submitted. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: May 26, 2014, 07:56:20 AM »
I think we rushed in congratulating him for the rhythm the roulette had...

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: May 27, 2014, 08:06:47 PM »
I think we rushed in congratulating him for the rhythm the roulette had...

No shit.  What's the deal WR?  The Earth isn't turning any slower!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: May 28, 2014, 04:39:10 AM »
He hasn't been in here for the past couple of days. Maybe he's computer died on him again

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: May 28, 2014, 07:29:03 AM »
He hasn't been in here for the past couple of days. Maybe he's computer died on him again

hhmmm... perhaps, but it's only been a day or so since he was 'active' here.  Plus, his last.fm was scrobbling last night, so I'm calling laziness.   :biggrin:

I'm going to be out of town from the 31st to the 8th, so I'm hoping I can submit the final two rounds before I'm off (without my music library with me).

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Web's Rookie Roulette! *Rd.6 Results*
« Reply #184 on: May 28, 2014, 07:35:41 AM »
Big Hath

Nightingale - Scarred For life (6.5)

Music really sounds big with the keys behind. I like the singers voice but it sounds slightly stale. Honestly it's like the song was out of a commercial. Not a bad song, It's just too safe. I keep wanting the song to not be so restrained.

What the fuck?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #185 on: May 30, 2014, 05:58:22 AM »
So, what's up? Is this thing dead? A short update within the last couple of days would have been nice, even if the results aren't ready.  :-\

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: May 30, 2014, 06:08:15 AM »
It would seem our host has gone AWOL... hasn't been "active" here since the early hours of the 27th.  I just sent him an email to see if he's online at all.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
Re: Web's Rookie Roulette! *Rd.8 Results*
« Reply #187 on: May 30, 2014, 07:30:52 AM »
Very sorry folks... computer issues once more and have solved it this time with a new setup! I was jumping on the other day with a relatives system but didn't have time to pull together a write-up unfortunately and thought I posted something about it in here. I apologize for the hiccup but will squeeze out these final few rounds in no time!

Round 8: 90's-10's

It's been a tough round to judge because basically everyone really sent some awesome stuff! After you guys see the scores I'm gonna hear "Are you serious?!?".. :P

Nekov

Von Hertzen Brothers - Insomniac (8.0)

Really like the style of the band and the approach feels like something I would love. The song doesn't really feel like it stretches out as much as the band sounds it's capable of which isn't a knock so much as a compliment of the band. I really do like the song but I feel like I like the sound of the band even more.

Big Hath

Opeth - Bleak (8.0)

I've been waiting for someone to send me some Opeth. This is a band that as often as they are discussed in such high regard I've felt I should eventually come to at some point. The growls will be an issue for me. I just have a hard time with growls as a constant vocal style instead of more of an accent. The music is superb as I knew it would be and the growls don't make me want to immediately cut it off, but I keep thinking how great the music would be if it wasn't full on growl for minutes at a time. The clean vocal section was very, very nice. I will be looking to dig into the band more.

Ulitmetalhead

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Sleep Is Wrong (8.0)

I expected a little quirkiness with a band name like Sleepytime Gorilla Museum... and I certainly got that and more here. Very interesting musical approach. I really like the uniqueness of it but it seems focused on being unique instead of the catchiness of the song but it works   

lonestar

The Hive-Mind - Sparks (8.0)

Very nice modern, progressive and jazzy sound in this track. I love the use of the piano throughout of course. Does the band have a vocalist or are they purely an instrumental band? I really think I would enjoy this bands material and I'll have to check it out.

senecadawg2

The Contortionist - Exoplanet (8.0)

I've been meaning to check into this band for a while. Immediately struck by the melodic aspect before the growls kind of tear into the song. Like that it's kind of a journey instead of just being beat over the head with growls cause they somewhat take over but then the beautiful arrangements throughout bring it into focus.

jingle.boy

Star One - Master of Darkness (8.0)

Yet another band I've meant to listen to. Love the heavy but melodic quality here and obviously the prog sound as well. Listening to the lyrics I see why you asked the questions about movies but can't say I'm certain as to how it works in a song. The guitar is quite nice and I really like the concept musically overall. I think I would enjoy more from this group.

**** SIDE NOTE****

Wanted to say that the reason the scores were like they are is because it seems everyone is right on the path to exactly the things I like now. There were only minor gripes on my part as to why the selections didn't score even higher. Just wanted to express that much to you all.

Current standings after round 8:

1.jingle.boy: (8.5) + (8.0) = 16.5
2.Ulitmetalhead: (8.0) + (8.0) = 16
3.lonestar: (7.5) + (8.0) = 15.5
4.senecadawg2: (7.0) + (8.0) = 15
5.Big Hath: (6.5) + (8.0) = 14.5
6.Nekov: (6.5) + (8.0) = 14.5

Round 9 and the first mystery theme round will be.....

Now to throw everyone for a loop... I grew up with parents who listened to R&B, Soul, and even beach music (not beach boys) along with my Dad being a prog, heavy music fan. I have a part of me that absolutely loves those styles but I'm usually very picky about it. I would love for a great R&B, Soul, Funk, etc. selection in this round. Due to the fact that I know some may not listen to a lot of that, I'll even accept songs tinged with some GREAT GROOVE from other music genres.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: May 30, 2014, 07:35:52 AM »
Lol, we were getting ready to boycott your roulette  :P

And crap, I already had something in mind and this theme just ruins everything for me, I'm sure I'll get a low score

Inb4 Chad complains about the theme too

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #189 on: May 30, 2014, 07:49:29 AM »
He's alive!!! yay! The wait itself wasn't necessarily so bad, especially considering how fast the first few rounds flew by, I was just worried that the roulette was never going to get a proper conclusion.

I'm glad you enjoyed my submission, and everyone else's too!  :lol

I don't know a thing about grooves, so this will be fun  :laugh:

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: May 30, 2014, 08:20:09 AM »
Inb4 Chad complains about the theme too

No complaint about the theme itself, just that I now have less than 24 hours to try and figure this out from a very limited set of tunes.  Well, I can always find something 'funky', and know a default song that I can go to.

How about something that would be considered more 'jazzy' if I find myself in a bind?  Would that suffice?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: May 30, 2014, 09:07:49 AM »
Seeing the theme for round 9, I'm kinda glad I've got eliminated.  :D

The growls will be an issue for me. I just have a hard time with growls as a constant vocal style instead of more of an accent. The music is superb as I knew it would be and the growls don't make me want to immediately cut it off, but I keep thinking how great the music would be if it wasn't full on growl for minutes at a time. The clean vocal section was very, very nice.

You described my feelings about growly Opeth pretty much spot on. I've bought all their albums because the music is so great, and I keep spinning them sometimes, but Damnation and Heritage are the ones I spin the most. Just can't get into all the growls.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: May 30, 2014, 10:48:49 AM »
How about something that would be considered more 'jazzy' if I find myself in a bind?  Would that suffice?

nevermind... found what I'm sending.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: May 30, 2014, 04:31:28 PM »
Sent

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #194 on: May 30, 2014, 06:12:04 PM »
Sent!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #195 on: May 30, 2014, 10:29:49 PM »
Round 9 sent
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #196 on: June 01, 2014, 09:18:31 PM »
Everyone but lonestar is in on this round (he may have forgotten with the hold up last round). I have already gone through listening and starting write-ups, so as soon as I get his selection it should be a quick turn around before we head into the final!  :tup

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #197 on: June 02, 2014, 09:52:58 AM »
Sorry man, been pulling 15 hour shifts all week. I should be able to send tonight.

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #198 on: June 02, 2014, 12:33:04 PM »
Sorry man, been pulling 15 hour shifts all week. I should be able to send tonight.

No problem at all. Definitely understand the grind.

Everyone has sent in selections and the scores should be posted very shortly!

Offline WebRaider

Re: Web's Rookie Roulette! *Rd.9 Results*
« Reply #199 on: June 02, 2014, 03:40:46 PM »
Round 9: R&B, Soul, Funk, Something that GROOVES!

Should have figured most would go the R&B path but that's not bad at all. I was wondering if anyone would step out with some funk, soul etc. Fun round!

jingle.boy

Gary Moore - Still got the Blues (8.0)

Certainly quite familiar with Gary Moore from his excellent work in Thin Lizzy. I've long meant to dive into his solo work. This is really exactly what I'd expect from him. The vocals are subdued as they are not really the focal point of the music... it's the guitar we all know we're here for! The song writing itself though is really nice. Fits in the rhythm and BLUES theme area of the round.

Ultimetalhead

Sigh - Ecstatic Transformation (7.5)

At first from the initial description from Ulti "funky Japanese avant-garde black metal" I was kind of skeptical to say the least. It turns out that there is some nice groove intertwined with the avant-garde and black metal styles. You'd never guess but to me, it's quite catchy as well. The vocals at length aren't necessarily great for me but the song's fun nature keeps me from focusing on that much. I really enjoy the quality surprise here.

Nekov

Sting - Heavy Cloud No Rain (7.0)

There's some modern jazzy, blues feel here so it fits. I like the music here and I get the idea for the story in the song but it's a little off-kilter feeling to me. The song doesn't have a feel of taking itself very seriously but I guess it doesn't have to. It's sort of being metaphorical and symbolic in a silly way.

senecadawg2

Gotye - Don't Worry, We'll Be Watching You (8.0)

I've been interested in digging into the catalog of Gotye. This song has some nice R&B elements obviously in a more pop, triphop, electronic tinged way. Very laid back throughout but it should be with that smooth slow bassline behind. Feel like it's past time I look further into this artist.

Big Hath

Graham Central Station - The Jam (8.0)

This was more of the style I kind of expected to have sent (that's not a knock on the other submissions). I really enjoy this musical selection... I know you told me to mostly ignore the lyrical aspect as it's just them introducing and being sily, but I kind of like it as a mood setter for the song too.

lonestar

Robin Trower - The Turning (8.0)

I am familiar with some of his "Bridge of Sighs" work which I really liked but haven't listened to anything outside of that. This is really nice! Much like the Gary Moore selection above, the vocals aren't really the focus.. that rich guitar sound is and I love guitar!

Current standings after round 9:
1.jingle.boy: (8.5) + (8.0) + (8.0) = 24.5
2.lonestar: (7.5) + (8.0) + (8.0) = 23.5
3.Ulitmetalhead: (8.0) + (8.0) + (7.5) = 23.5
4.senecadawg2: (7.0) + (8.0) + (8.0) = 23
5.Big Hath: (6.5) + (8.0) + (8.0) = 22.5
6.Nekov: (6.5) + (8.0) + (7.5) = 22

Round 10 - FINAL ROUND: One of the most important aspects for me from a band or musician is being varied while maintaining their unique sound. I love bands that stretch the boundaries of the genre that they are a main part of. Send me two really good songs from an awesome band (not already listed) that are in different spectrum's of their genres.

Everyone is within range of taking it all! Good music throughout but send me your best shots here!  :tup

« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 07:48:02 PM by WebRaider »

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #200 on: June 02, 2014, 04:51:42 PM »
Fuck me. I totally could have used Sigh for this next round. My luck.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #201 on: June 02, 2014, 05:02:41 PM »
Tower Of Power's, "Soul With a Capital S" would have killed on this round.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #202 on: June 02, 2014, 05:05:34 PM »
Sent. This has been a fun roulette.  :)
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: June 02, 2014, 05:51:52 PM »
Yes, it has been. Gotta noodle on this, and being away until Sunday, not sure when I'll be able to send ... especially if I have to go to some deep or obscure bands not online anywhere.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #204 on: June 02, 2014, 06:08:14 PM »
Just out of curiosity, and I doubt it will really make a difference in the final round, but didn't everyone score 8's in the last round…? Also, glad you enjoyed the Gotye track. I wasn't sure how it would be received, given that it's a relatively simple and repetitive song.

Now for the final round. I'll need to think on this one…

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #205 on: June 02, 2014, 07:07:04 PM »
Just out of curiosity, and I doubt it will really make a difference in the final round, but didn't everyone score 8's in the last round…? Also, glad you enjoyed the Gotye track. I wasn't sure how it would be received, given that it's a relatively simple and repetitive song.

Now for the final round. I'll need to think on this one…

Yep in round 8 everyone scored 8's. I feel like this is a result of everyone keying in more to my likes.

It's gotten better and better from round to round as I would expect.  I want people to take their time with the final round if they want (obviously not too long but you get the idea) as everyone is in this and will have a shot.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #206 on: June 02, 2014, 07:14:42 PM »

3.Ulitmetalhead: (8.0) + (7.5) = (7.5) = 23
4.Big Hath: (6.5) + (8.0) + (8.0) = 22.5
5.senecadawg2: (7.0) + (7.5) + (8.0) = 22.5

:blush

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: June 02, 2014, 07:18:25 PM »
^ attentive little fucker, aren't you

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #208 on: June 02, 2014, 07:29:10 PM »
Half a point isn't much... But then again, neither is one and a half  ;)

Watch you back

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #209 on: June 02, 2014, 07:40:19 PM »

3.Ulitmetalhead: (8.0) + (7.5) = (7.5) = 23
4.Big Hath: (6.5) + (8.0) + (8.0) = 22.5
5.senecadawg2: (7.0) + (7.5) + (8.0) = 22.5

:blush

:| Good grief.. I told you guys to check my horrid math at the scoring.. I'll obsessively go back to make sure the scores are correct now.. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!!!

**** I think I have it correct now, please make sure of your scores and let me know if you see anything out of line****

Apologies again on that  :sadpanda:
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 07:49:22 PM by WebRaider »