Author Topic: Web's Rookie Roulette! *FINAL Results!*  (Read 35403 times)

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
Re: Web's Rookie Roulette!
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2014, 01:45:24 AM »
First round scores will be in later today (Wed EST)! Nice job on first go everyone! I think I like where this is going! ;D

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2014, 04:34:28 AM »
:caffeine:
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2014, 09:14:08 AM »
Sweet man!!!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2014, 10:32:17 AM »
First round scores will be in later today (Wed EST)! Nice job on first go everyone! I think I like where this is going! ;D

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2014, 01:47:18 PM »
Going to sleep now, can't wait to see what I've got in the morning. I'll be glad as long as I'm not the last.  :angel:
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2014, 02:18:23 PM »
:soon:

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2014, 06:47:37 PM »
Web's Rookie Roulette: Round 1

First want to say everyone did a superb job right out of the gate. There was nothing anyone sent that I didn't at least like. So I feel like I'm going to really find lots of music from this roulette! I know the write-ups aren't all that in-depth but I want to spend the time listening to the music and really taking in what I think of it. If you all have any questions afterwards feel free to shout at me about it..lol

senecadawg2

Beyond the Bridge - Where The Earth and Sky Meet (7.0)

Really quite a beautiful song. I love rock music that incorporates piano. The guitar solo midway is nice and the choir vocals really help bring the song along. This seems like a tune that would be even better in the context of an album. Overall its a nice song with an epic sound, that while I feel where they were going lyrically, just seems to meander a bit.

Big Hath

Redemption - Walls (8.5)

Killer intro! Awesome percussion and bass. Really got my attention from the start. Seems very DT-like musically. I see that Ray Alder is the vocalist for the song and I've just started to get into Fates Warning not too long ago (still haven't delved far into that as of yet). He sounds really nice here!

lonestar

The Omega Experiment - Gift (8.0)

Put a smile on my face immediately. Playing right into my wheelhouse with the wall of Dev sound and the layers. Doesn't quite have the strength vocally of Dev, though it doesn't have to. I like the heaviness of it while it retains nice melodies.

Evermind

Vanden Plas - Vision 9ine: Soul Alliance (7.5)

Dig the big sound the song has. Keys are well placed and give the song nice depth. Like the driving bass and guitar in the verses. I enjoy the vocal melodies.

jingle.boy

Flaming Row - Rage of Despair (7.0)

Love the guitar and riffs throughout! I think I enjoy the music more than the vocals. The story the song goes through is very interesting and gives a definite reason for the aggressive vocal. I like the interplay between vocal styles.

orcus116

ISIS - Threshold of Transformation (6.0)

Comes in with a bang and I like the dark, barren vibe it carries through. I like harsh vocals but usually prefer them to vary pitch or break it up some, or for me it begins to drone (which I guess is the idea here). I really like this musically though.

Nekov

I Mother Earth - Juicy (8.5)

This has so many bits I enjoy about "alternative rock" music. It's not a straight up rock song but it's definitely rocking. Really like what I hear from the vocalist in the song. I'm actually slightly shocked I've never heard of the song or band.

Dr. DTVT

Evergrey - Recreation Day (7.0)

Another song that kicks right in with the riffs! I like the building vocals at the start. I really like the music, guitar and the singer's voice. They kind of lean on the chorus a bit, but apart from that I really like it.

Lucien

Shostakovich - Symphony No. 5 (6.0)

I was wondering if someone might throw a curve at me in the free rounds. Although I don't find myself listening to classical music often I do appreciate it and for the most part enjoy it. This piece really moves. My favorite part is when it slows and darkens and then rises again towards the end. Not a bad choice for a curveball.

Ultimetalhead

Rishloo - River of Glass (7.5)

I had heard of this band somewhere else when someone asked for bands sounding similar to Tool. I hear that some but they definitely have their own unique sound. I like the fire that the singer has even though his vocals sound off here or there. I actually think if they pulled them back some in the mix it wouldn't even really be an issue at all. Regardless it does give it a raw feel which I like, the music is great and overall I enjoy the track!

1st Round Results

Big Hath: 8.5
Nekov: 8.5
lonestar: 8.0
Evermind: 7.5
Ultimetalhead: 7.5
senecadawg2: 7.0
jingle.boy: 7.0
Dr. DTVT: 7.0
orcus116: 6.0
Lucien: 6.0

Round 2 will be limited to bands/musicians from the 60's-80's! Keep sending the good stuff guys!

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2014, 07:02:38 PM »
Dead last.  :lol
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2014, 07:13:58 PM »
I'm not sure our tastes are all that similar. This is going to be fun!

Sent
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 08:14:31 PM by senecadawg2 »
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2014, 08:56:44 PM »
Sent. 

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2014, 09:55:45 PM »
I don't mind 7,5, nice start. I thought of sending Beyond the Bridge in the later rounds, perhaps another song though.

Will send something in ~15 hours.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2014, 10:22:35 PM »
yay!  Glad you liked it.  That album is full of awesome.

round 2 sent
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2014, 11:14:01 PM »
Dead last.  :lol

Don't feel bad about it.. it's not very far back at all. All scores were pretty close together. As I noted, I liked everything that was sent just to different measures. It's when someone sends something that is way off the mark I guess would be reason for concern and even then its just a game. I was very pleased with the submissions in the first round! Keep it up!  :metal

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2014, 07:28:31 AM »
The fogeys are probably gonna kill it this round.... Sent

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2014, 09:00:21 AM »
Yes we are. Sent.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2014, 11:00:21 AM »
Sent a kinda obvious choice. I think it's impossible to not like that song, yet we shall see of course.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2014, 11:11:29 AM »
Great call Nekov on IME.  That album is a top 5 for me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2014, 12:24:12 PM »
Great call Nekov on IME.  That album is a top 5 for me.

I gave you the proper credit in the email I sent webraider  :tup

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2014, 01:06:54 PM »
The fogeys are probably gonna kill it this round.... Sent

It would certainly be embarrassing if we tank.  Will send when I'm back home tomorrow.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2014, 03:30:12 PM »
Sent, I guess. I can't believe the band I'm sending isn't on your last.fm, but of course that doesn't mean you haven't heard them.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2014, 03:35:42 PM »
Sent, I guess. I can't believe the band I'm sending isn't on your last.fm, but of course that doesn't mean you haven't heard them.

That's what I thought when I sent mine.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2014, 03:46:47 PM »
We probably sent the same band.  :P
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2014, 04:46:09 PM »
We probably sent the same band.  :P

Nope.. different bands!

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2014, 08:00:18 PM »
Well I'm glad you liked it musically and I took a gamble on the vocals. I almost picked a band you've barely listened to on last.fm which probably would've scored better.

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2014, 08:12:10 PM »
Well I'm glad you liked it musically and I took a gamble on the vocals. I almost picked a band you've barely listened to on last.fm which probably would've scored better.

Yeah I've heard of ISIS before and I know they are similar in style to some other bands I listen to as well. I don't HATE the vocals it's just I guess I'd prefer the pitch change or get broken up a little more (as I noted). I don't mean to be a cheerleader but really everyone did a good job in the first round and I at least liked everything.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2014, 06:01:17 AM »
Sent.  I'm rubbin it in to all of you like this.   :-*

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2014, 10:06:47 AM »
Sent.

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2014, 11:36:37 AM »
Everyone is in for round 2 except Lucien and one re-submit...

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2014, 12:35:21 PM »
Third time is a charm!  I'm in.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2014, 01:54:20 PM »
Sent.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2014, 02:39:03 PM »
Third time is a charm!  I'm in.

Sent.

Woot, all aboard!!! Gonna enjoy listening to all these songs. Everyone have a great weekend. I imagine I should have scores by Monday sometime or Tuesday at the latest.  :corn

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2014, 04:49:38 AM »

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2014, 12:37:11 PM »
LOL sorry folks... although I thought I'd be able to withstand it, the Easter holiday got in the way of my listening time. I promise to have results by tomorrow (Wed. 4/23 EST. ) Thanks for hanging in there with me :) :tup

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2014, 12:43:57 PM »
Can you update the thread title (in the OP if you don't know how) when you update?  It makes it easier to follow.

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2014, 06:08:48 PM »
Round 2: 60's-90's

Another solid round overall. I know it gets a bit more difficult to find some older bands or material that I may not have heard but in many cases here its definitely worth the effort.

senecadawg2

King Crimson- 21st Century Schizoid Man (7.5)

Obviously this is a band and album I've heard of before. It's one I've long intended to give a listen to but have just not gotten around to. I've heard of this song before as well but this is my first full play through. My immediate reaction is to the power of the music, the quality of the musicianship and the manic frenzy composition. Extremely hard to believe this was released in 1969.

Dr. DTVT

Marillion - Sugar Mice (6.5)

This song caught me off guard. For some reason I thought this would be much more proggy than it turned out to be. This had a touch of pop and definite late 80's radio sound. I like the lyrical story of the song. I like the music and particularly the guitar quite a bit. Get a Mike & The Mechanics vibe from this song. The vocals seem strained to me a little like he's wanting to go bigger but keeps holding back.

Big Hath

Al Di Meola - Suite Golden Dawn (7.5)

Whoa! Was expecting total jazz type stuff but there's lots of groove and of course the playing is impeccable. Reminded me lots of Zappa material without so much of the insanity. Being a longer instrumental the groove behind keeps my attention and flows well with the stellar leads.

Nekov

The Waterboys - Rags (6.0)

Liked this a bit more than I expected I would. The horns are quite an interesting addition in the song and it works really well IMO. Like the strong vocals for this type of music. Most vocals in this style of song and from this era tend to be very frail from my perspective.

lonestar

UFO - Rock Bottom (7.5)

I've heard lots about this band from the biggest fan on the planet I believe in radio and tv's Eddie Trunk, but this is my first listen. Love the catchy riff right out of the gate. This is a straight up driving rock song. Schenker's solo is pretty smoking (no surprise!) and really takes the song to another level.

Evermind

Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms (6.5)

My brother had this album when I was young and played it often but I only remember the hits "So Far Away", "Money for Nothing", and "Walk of Life".... and I enjoy those but I really don't know a whole lot about the band beyond that. Well, I take that back I've heard lots of people talk a lot about Mark Knopfler's guitar playing and that's exactly what I take from this song. Really love the great slow building guitar throughout.

Ultimetalhead

Yes - South Side Of The Sky (7.5)

Here's another band that obviously i'm going to be to some extent familiar with. I know a number of their hits and what's been played on classic rock radio, and enjoy those songs but hadn't really explored their catalog. Ulti made sure to send me a deeper cut to check out so that I could get more familiar with this legendary band.

What I really like most here is the edgier sound and the slightly darker vibe than some of the radio songs have (not that I dislike them, just that this shows a different side). The band is just as tight here as they are in the songs I'm familiar with. Clearly great musicians!

orcus116

Death - Politicians In My Eyes (7.0)

Well first off pure punk music hasn't really appealed to me so I was hesitant from the beginning. The sneaky groove and jam that is found here really sold me. Fairly simple and quite raw in the way punk music should be, but the chorus was very different than you'd usually find. Found this interesting and enjoyable!

jingle.boy

Winter Rose - Asylum City (7.0)

Surprise! I somehow was unfamiliar with the backstory that included Sebastian Bach and James LaBrie being in this band and jingle.boy bounced through a couple submissions before enlightening me here. Ripping right from the start and yep thats our boy LaBrie! Actually really enjoy the tune and LaBrie's vocals and maybe I'm influenced slightly from what I'm used to hearing him sing but the two styles don't really seem to mesh when he really takes the higher vocal parts. Of course being a bit of a hair metal fan I really like the guitar and music so thats a bonus!

Lucien

Vangelis - My Face In The Rain (5.5)

All I really know of Vangelis is the classic composition for the movie "Chariots of Fire". Almost anything athletic related seemed to have "Titles" played somewhere in the 80's.

Now on to "My Face In The Rain"... I like the almost ethereal quality to the music and enjoy the synths and or keys he uses here to create the feeling of almost standing in the rain. I have to assume the vocal style is specific to create a mood of being alone but it just doesn't do much for me.

-----------------

Round 2 Results:

senecadawg2: 7.5
Big Hath: 7.5
lonestar: 7.5
Ultimetalhead: 7.5
orcus116: 7.0
jingle.boy: 7.0
Dr. DTVT: 6.5
Evermind: 6.5
Nekov: 6.0
Lucien: 5.5

Current standings after round 2:

1.Big Hath: 16
2.lonestar: 15.5
3.Ulitmetalhead: 15
4.senecadawg2 14.5
5.Nekov: 14.5
6.Evermind: 14
7.jingle.boy: 14
8.Dr. DTVT: 13.5
9.orcus116: 13
10.Lucien: 11.5

You guys be sure to keep a check on my poor math skills to make sure all standings are correct...lol

Round 3 is limited to bands from 90's-10's and will conclude with first set of elimination and scores reset. Thanks everyone!  :yarr