Author Topic: FlyingBIZKIT's Top 50 v. The End is Nigh  (Read 23846 times)

Offline senecadawg2

Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Top 50 v. The End is Nigh
« Reply #210 on: June 01, 2014, 06:43:00 PM »
What a relief!

Still, I can't for the life of my understand why anyone would put this album as their second favorite of all time  :P
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #211 on: June 01, 2014, 07:08:22 PM »
Your loss

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #212 on: June 01, 2014, 09:33:55 PM »
#1 is coming shortly.... any ideas?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #213 on: June 01, 2014, 09:38:27 PM »
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: June 01, 2014, 09:39:10 PM »
To keep b_f happy...........................Dokken - TOOF'n'NALE  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #215 on: June 01, 2014, 10:07:47 PM »
Thank you, bl  :heart

And Mr. Haake :metal :metal :metal Too bad we can't post the real one. That dude could piledrive concrete for a living.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #216 on: June 01, 2014, 10:13:41 PM »
#1. Lightbulb Sun - Porcupine Tree (2000)

This album is pure nostalgia for me. This is the one album I can go back to, no matter what. I feel I can really relate to a lot of what's on here. Relationships, childhood, etc... it just hits the spot. This probably isn't a very surprising pick, but yeah, it's my favorite. There are some songs on here that aren't regarded very highly such as "How Is Your Life Today?" and "Four Chords That Made A Million", but I love them as well. There's a certain magic to this album that I've never heard in another album. It's unique. The title track starts the album off in a really comfortable way, and the lyrics are basically about childhood and staying home from school some days just because. I remember doing that. I had like, 15 absences one year in middle school, and I was sick maybe 3 of those. Not skipping just to skip, but I'd always go off exploring into the woods or something. I felt really independent, it was fun. "Shesmovedon" and "Hatesong" really remind me of a special someone, and they're two totally different songs. "Hatesong" has the badass hard groove throughout. "Last Chance To Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled" is just outstanding. It starts and ends in completely different ways. Almost like a little ballad at first, but gets in this spacey atmospheric vibe as it goes on. "The Rest Will Flow" is short but sweet, giving off great positive energy. "Where We Would Be" really hit me hard recently, and I didn't realize how beautiful it was. I love the pace, and the relaxing mood, until the messy solo. But I love the solo, it's so out of place in the song, but it fits so well. If that makes any sense. It has my favorite line of the whole album: "Strange how you never become the person you see when you're young." "Russia On Ice" was my first Porcupine Tree song, and it still remains one of my favorites. It's the longest track, and it's just gorgeous. Slow, moody, dark. "Feel So Low" is fantastic, and closes the album on a really dark, melancholic note. The thing I really admire about this album is that it's an emotional roller coaster. When the album starts, I feel happy and upbeat. When the album ends, I feel a little down, BUT satisfied. It's a bittersweet kind of thing. Anyway, that's it.

Favorite Track: Where We Would Be

• DT.net Member
« Reply #217 on: June 01, 2014, 10:24:07 PM »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: June 01, 2014, 10:24:56 PM »
Good idea getting in before we got a chance to do any more guesses  ;D

Thanks for a cool Top 50 - lighter prog rock isn't really my thing so I couldn't relate to a lot of it but I found it an enjoyable read ,  and tried out a number of song samples................I will do the same from your #1 as I haven't heard that album.  Some of the stuff on Signify I found decent so there's hope  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #219 on: June 01, 2014, 10:27:38 PM »
And thank you, and everyone else for following. It was fun, and I'm glad I had people interested! :)

• DT.net Member
« Reply #220 on: June 01, 2014, 10:35:45 PM »
You're a swell gent, Luke. I hope to one day have a daughter just like you.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #221 on: June 02, 2014, 06:27:23 AM »
What a relief!

This is what you said:

This is what I read:

You're a swell gent, Luke. I hope to one day have a daughter, just like you.

Don't worry, Luke, your secret is still safe with me!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #222 on: June 02, 2014, 06:36:20 AM »
Wow! I didn't expect that ending. I prefer Colors over The Parallax, by quite a large margin and Lightbulb Sun isn't even nearly my favourite PT album, but oh well. Nice list though :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #223 on: June 02, 2014, 07:01:27 AM »
Lightbulb Sun, that album has a very Wilson-y feel to it for sure.  I know what you mean about nostalgia.  While I wouldn't put it at the top of my list, Rush's Roll The Bones has that place for me, I will always love it even if it's not the best album.  Reminds me of the time in my life when I was discovering non-pop music for the first time.  My brother made a cassette of it from his cd (I didn't have a cd player yet) and I wore that cassette out.  The cassette had a small jump right at the end of Dreamline where it repeated the last chord of that song twice, I can still hear it in my head 23 years later.

It's always good to have something in your memory you can draw on to help you remember certain times in your life.  The older you get the more treasured your memories will be.

great list, thanks for sharing!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #224 on: June 02, 2014, 07:39:35 AM »
Don't often hear people whose favorite album is Roll the Bones, that's for sure! Great album though, and coincidentally I think it would probably rank around the same spot as Lightbulb Sun for me.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #225 on: June 02, 2014, 07:52:09 AM »
well, actually I didn't mean to imply it's my favorite album.  sorry if that was confusing.  I just mean it has a special place in my heart.

I will be starting my top 50 list later today, so you'll get to see what my real top album is.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #226 on: June 02, 2014, 08:00:15 AM »
Ohhh, gotcha. I will be following!

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #227 on: June 03, 2014, 11:51:27 PM »
Great list, FlyingBIZKIT!

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #228 on: June 03, 2014, 11:58:47 PM »
Thank you! Glad you enjoyed :laugh:

• DT.net Member
« Reply #229 on: June 04, 2014, 12:07:42 AM »
What a relief!

This is what you said:

This is what I read:

You're a swell gent, Luke. I hope to one day have a daughter, just like you.

Don't worry, Luke, your secret is still safe with me!

:lol

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: June 04, 2014, 07:41:40 AM »
Great list Luke!  Been fun following  :hat

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: June 04, 2014, 05:48:12 PM »
I'm a casual PT fan, but that album is fantastic.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.