Author Topic: James LaBrie Jibba-Jabba!  (Read 10239 times)

Offline Madman Shepherd

James LaBrie Jibba-Jabba!
« on: April 06, 2014, 06:19:50 PM »
Years ago on the Mike Portnoy message board (when it was the unofficial-official Dream Thear message board) I started a thread about all the James LaBrie Jibba Jabba that makes us laugh or cringe but all in all, it is one of the main things that makes us love the Canadian Pirate that fronts the band we love to obsess about. 

So, if you can get the quote verbatim and if possible the time and place (or even video) it would be great. 

Chicago, IL 4-5-14
Last night I knew I was going to have to resurrect this idea because James said (and I have to go off of memory):

"We love playing in Chicago, this is an absolutely beautiful theater but it's not the theater we love most, its what is brought here to the theater. (*gestures to the crowd and we all cheer*)   I'm not talking about you guys...I'm talking about the pizza!  Screw that!"

Also, it will be difficult to remember this precisely but:

"Hey, could you do us all a favor?  I know we all have these devices that can take thousands of pictures but kind of creates a disconnect with us up here.  You are here and you can see us in 3D instead of staring at us all night through a 2"x3" screen.  *crowd cheers*  I'm not saying don't take any pictures.  Take 5 pictures, take a 20 second video, and then put that flippin' thing in your pocket."

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Re: James LaBrie Jibba-Jabba!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 06:47:42 PM »
That second statement is the absolute truth. I only ever take pictures when it's a song I've already seen live, or just a song that's not in my top 50. That, or when it's something unusual, like JP and JM playing side by side at the front of the stage, or JR with his Keytar. Otherwise, especially when it's a song I really love, such as TDOE, I just watch the magic and absorb it in person.

I don't know if this counts as 'Jibba-Jabba', but when he was on his way back to the tour bus, and he stopped to take pictures with some fans, one of the guys was like, "Hold on, I want to take my coat off, I got a tattoo I want in the shot." and JLB was like, "That's fine with me, as long as you don't take your pants off."
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 06:50:23 PM »

"Hey, could you do us all a favor?  I know we all have these devices that can take thousands of pictures but kind of creates a disconnect with us up here.  You are here and you can see us in 3D instead of staring at us all night through a 2"x3" screen.  *crowd cheers*  I'm not saying don't take any pictures.  Take 5 pictures, take a 20 second video, and then put that flippin' thing in your pocket."

He said this last night literally less than a minute after the guy next to me was told by an usher to stop recording with his phone.  I thought the timing of that was hilarious.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 06:58:32 PM »
I always keep my phone on camera mode, when something cool happens I take a pic then put it away.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 07:10:45 PM »

I don't know if this counts as 'Jibba-Jabba', but when he was on his way back to the tour bus, and he stopped to take pictures with some fans, one of the guys was like, "Hold on, I want to take my coat off, I got a tattoo I want in the shot." and JLB was like, "That's fine with me, as long as you don't take your pants off."

Haha, anything that comes out of his mouth counts. 

Live Scenes From New York commentary has some gems. 

When James flubs a line and says, "We're laring one eternity" and MP says, "James invented a new word here.  But that proves to you that nothing was overdubbed."  James responds, "Oh there'll be proof of that throughout!"

While we're on the topic of DVD commentarys.  MP says at the end of the 5 Years in a Livetime DVD, "Well, if you have made it through both of these commentaries then you are a true fan."  James responds, "Actually, if you made it through both of these commentaries, you need to get a fucking life!"

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 08:06:20 PM »
I usually hold it close to me, since I'm usually standing and I still get a great view of everything. I don't zoom in on anything, I just want a shot of the stage. I don't need anything special, just a little memory. I never hold it up in the air in front of people.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 08:10:35 PM »
I don't understand it at all. Why are you filming the gig ? YOU'RE FUCKING THERE !

And people live-tweeting from a gig - what is the point of that ?

21:00 omg they're on

21:01 omg they're playing

21:06 omg another song

21:12 omg I love this one

21:19 omfg i love this one

21:34 lol

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 08:24:16 PM »
I guess I enjoy reliving memories.... I guess I'm weird. I like to show other people that couldn't go what I experienced, and I guess I just enjoy re-watching the little bits that I film. 

I don't think I've ever seen someone tweet, but it'd definitely be similar to talking. Just watch what's happening.

And I should say that when I'm filming, I'm not looking at the screen. I hold it close to my chest and just film and still watch the band
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 08:59:25 PM »
I guess I enjoy reliving memories.... I guess I'm weird. I like to show other people that couldn't go what I experienced, and I guess I just enjoy re-watching the little bits that I film.

I'm not saying this is the case for you, but people who generally say stuff like that when reasoning as to why they're filming, sometimes it feels like, they're just there so that they could tell their friends, "Hey, I've seen such and such band, here's my proof. This is what I witnessed." As opposed to going to the show to just absorb it and enjoy it.

The problem for me is that outside of really expensive equipment (which I don't own) anything you film will have terrible sound quality, and unless you're right up front, the visibility will be worse. I mean, seeing it in person from whatever row you're in, is one thing, but when you film it, and then watch it on the screen, it only appears THAT much smaller because in order to capture the entire stage, you need a really wide angle, not to mention that on filmed footage, you can't exactly more your view if someone's hands are in the way.

In any case, all I'm saying is that I personally don't find filmed bootleg footage to be enjoyable at all. I don't even bother watching their footage on Youtube, unless I'm trying to see whether JLB hit such and such note at a given show.

BUT! This is not a "what do you think about filming concert footage with your iPhone" thread,  :lol

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 09:03:16 PM »
I have never taken video at a concert, and I've taken maybe 20 pics total out of the 10 or so concerts I've seen. I'm there to watch in person. Plus I normally don't watch fan shot videos of concerts, unless it's a song that's not officially recorded, so there's no reason for me to videotape. I'll take a pic of the stage/lighting package, one of each of the guys and that'll probably be it. And it'll happen during a part of the concert I don't really care for. Other than that, if it's heavy I'll be  :metal-ing, if not I'll be  :hefdaddy-ing, not taking video.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 09:06:30 PM »
Yeah, I don't get the idea of hindering your own enjoyment of a show by recording it to show people who don't like the band enough to have gone to the concert in the first place. :lol :lol

I don't think I've taken more than a handful of pics at a concert EVER.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 09:39:56 PM »
I understand you guys. And I mainly tape a bit of a song I like. I'll be taping a bit to show a chemistry professor at school that likes them that I don't think is going.

But yeah, I'm that guy.... Kind of

God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 09:41:48 PM »
Frankly, all this stuff will be moot soon anyway. With stuff like Google Glass and other non-invasive video technologies, people will take a video whenever they please.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 09:44:01 PM »
 :lol My dad always says that. He said one day we'll be at a concert and say: "I like this song" then look like you're adjusting your glasses, but actually pressing a button on the top to record
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 10:38:34 PM »
And frankly, I actually don't think that's all that unreasonable. I paid money to experience a certain event, I think I should be able to make a "backup copy" so to speak.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2014, 10:59:26 PM »
And frankly, I actually don't think that's all that unreasonable. I paid money to experience a certain event, I think I should be able to make a "backup copy" so to speak.
Absolutely
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2014, 11:22:43 PM »
Frankly, all this stuff will be moot soon anyway. With stuff like Google Glass and other non-invasive video technologies, people will take a video whenever they please.

Yeah, if you actually wanna pay for something like that. I'm a long ways away from being able to afford such a convenience. But I guess that would be a good way to do it.

But that still leaves the issue of sound quality, like I said. I'm not an expert on audio recording, but you'd need a pretty solid setup to get a decent quality sound out of it. And I honestly have yet to see a live recording on Youtube where the sound is good enough to enjoy. I mean, in some instances, you can at least clearly hear it without too much distortion, but it still sounds like listening to a crappy recording in a tunnel, or something. So it's not like you can just relive the night authentically or anything.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2014, 05:38:15 AM »
I don't get my phone out at a gig ever. Maybe one pic before the band come on.

But I know that other people will be filming If i want to relive some memories later on.

But I prefer to absorb as much as I can and try and remember as much as possible for future.

Instead of - my only memory of seeing Green Day for example being a blurry horrible distorted mess.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2014, 05:50:45 AM »
....my only memory of seeing Green Day for example being a blurry horrible distorted mess.

Isn't that most peoples memory of seeing Green Day though?  :P
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2014, 06:26:04 AM »

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2014, 10:21:10 AM »
:lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2014, 10:34:11 AM »
Yup I'm that guy  :lol

I probably took like 30 pics and 10 mins of video footage from the last DT concert. Mainly things that I have never really seen before.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2014, 10:50:14 AM »
When I view Youtube fan vids, I usually do just to check out how a band I haven't heard sounds live, as Live is how I judge bands.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2014, 06:01:16 PM »
At the end of the Boston show, he thanked the "Boston" College of music! :facepalm:

Guess we know the first thing to be edited for the CD!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Grizz

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2014, 06:21:44 PM »
At the end of the Boston show, he thanked the "Boston" College of music! :facepalm:

I think the first thing to be edited would when he forgets Eren's name and says "I'm fifty; I'm allowed to forget!" Or when he says "I don't like to ramble." Anyone who saw TSCO in 2012 knows that's a load.

"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2014, 06:54:11 PM »

I think the first thing to be edited would when he forgets Eren's name and says "I'm fifty; I'm allowed to forget!" Or when he says "I don't like to ramble." Anyone who saw TSCO in 2012 knows that's a load.
ahahahah is he for real

I love James. His most famous episode of forgetfulness comes from his late twenties though. Beartracks, right?

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2014, 07:13:33 PM »

ahahahah is he for real

I love James. His most famous episode of forgetfulness comes from his late twenties though. Beartracks, right?

"...and he was in...Spiro Gyra, right?"

C'mon guys, lets make this thread especially special!

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2014, 07:41:04 PM »
When I view Youtube fan vids, I usually do just to check out how a band I haven't heard sounds live, as Live is how I judge bands.

I would only do that if the band had some professionally recorded material. I'd rather judge a band by a music video, than by a bootleg video.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2014, 07:41:40 PM »
Holy crap, it is impossible for James not to give us some classic Jibba Jabba. 

From Milwaukee Summerfest in 1993 after Take the Time was played with Galactic Cowboys helping to sing the chorus.

"Ladies and gentleman, Mr. John Petrucci on GUITOE!!!   *bands stops jamming* YEAH!!  Alright.  Hows about an applause for the Galactic Cowboys for coming out here and helping us out!!!  *crowd cheers* Yeah.  Alright.  *pause*  Woo.  *pause*  One more time, Milwaukee.  Let me hear you, this is a beautiful thing.  Let me hear how loud you are!!!  Cmon!!!!  *crowd cheers*  All right.  Ok.  We're going to go back to the first album with this one also.  *small pause*  I'm just kidding.  *shrugs* We've been on the road for a while and we've had some time to put together some new material.  So we're gonna pass that by you tonight...this is...To Live Foweva."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2014, 08:06:16 PM »

The first thing that will be edited is the fudged horn in the IT orchestral section.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2014, 01:37:25 AM »
James talked about ice hockey in Helsinki and MM got a comment in as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkgBOn67UDM#t=13m5s

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2014, 10:37:37 AM »

The first thing that will be edited is the fudged horn in the IT orchestral section.
Or Mangini trying to bring Finally Free to an end a few measures to early!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Enalya

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2014, 12:36:30 PM »
Fun topic!

At the show in Amsterdam (Heineken Music Hall) he said something like:
"We love to come here in Holland with your great beer Ghainikhen (Heineken), but all that alcohol can really change your perspective in some weird ways. We're not here to get influenced by that kind though, but by the music!"

When he said 'Ghainikhen', no one understood it at first, but people got it after a way too long time of 5 seconds :lol

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2014, 12:52:42 PM »
^I remember that :lol I also remember thinking directly after that: "B-but Heineken is shit... :( "

Offline Grizz

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2014, 02:11:51 PM »
From the Huntington show in 2012

"How we doin'? *cheering* HOW WE DOIN'? *cheering* The surprise is about to show its(voice falters)lf. *Crowd murmurs* But before... we let that happen, I wanna say a few things. We've, uh, we've been out here now in suPPort, with um, well by the time we're done in South America we will have been out here in support of A Dramatic Turn of Events for fourteen months and *YEAH* *light applause* um... tsk... what I wanna say- what we all wanna say is we've had an absolute blast (note he says blast like Mangini says tone)... touring around the world, making the connection... with our fans, introducing our... incredible... *cheering* (inaudible blabbing) Mike Mangini. ... I think the last time, well, I'm speaking on my behalf at least; I don't like to speak for the other guys (wtf see above?), buttah, I think I haven't had this much fun since Images... and Wots. *screaming* (JLB makes rape face, nods in agreement with self) (inaudible blabbing) But anyways, (inhales) there's (pitch of voice suddenly increases an octave, from "I'm sorry, but you have cancer" to "I'm getting married") alotta people that are involved, that, thattah, ensure that wekin come out here every night, I've thanked them in the past, I'm gonna thank them again tonight, and that is... the professionals, the technicians, our crew. These guys are like family towus, *applause* they're great friends of ours, they work their buttsauf, srsly, they're getting here at nine o'clock at... *Eric Disrude embraces JLB* *cheering* (JLB moves nose into Eric's hair while trying to keep a stone face) *MM cracks up* That's one of them right there and I always like to have, uh, security around me when he's... when he's around. (Genius idea face) Ah, thanks, Eric. But seriously, these guys, they, they-uh, they really are dedicated, annuh, on behalf of the band guys, we love ya, and we can't thank ya enough. (nods)

And later,

"What that's it? You don't have any more? *YEAH* (chuckles) Ya don't have any more! forus. There's only one guy that can make you realize how emotional you always... through the start to the finish (inaudible) you just covered the entire spectrum. Oh no, we're not talking aboot me we're talking about you. (Points at JP) Alright? JOHN PETRUCHAE! *cheering* This next song, uh, lyrically... it's something we can all relate to, it's something we've all ppondered or thought aboot... maybe everday maybe, every other day, but... we question our existance, we question this what we call life, and uh I think the way that these words are put, simply and beautifully, it gives us the faith, the belief that... the soul is infinite; we do go on, ch, anduh, we'll be having a great rock 'n' roll party (wipes tear, I shit you not, he wipes a tear) for all (inaudible) as well.

Wallingford, 2000

"So, are you all from Wallingford?"
*NOOOOOO!*
"I should've guessed."
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"