Author Topic: The Queen Thread  (Read 101864 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Queen Thread
« Reply #875 on: December 09, 2022, 03:06:50 PM »
 :tup

The Daily Doug did some Queen today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VtwLfaQHu4
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #876 on: December 21, 2022, 06:19:34 AM »
That was fun! :tup

Enjoyed his erroneous drum crash during 'Who Wants To Live Forever', and then his 'got that one right' comment on the second one  :D

His updated background bookcase from last week on his Fbook page   https://www.facebook.com/helvering

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #877 on: December 31, 2022, 03:40:20 AM »
Brian May becomes Sir Brian Harold May as he receives Knighthood in 2023 Honours List!  :metal

“I'm happy and grateful to receive this honour. I will regard the knighthood not so much as a reward, but more as a charge – a commission - for me to continue to fight for justice - to be a voice for those who have no voice.  I will endeavour to be worthy - to be that Knight in Shining Armour.” - Sir Brian May

More here: https://www.queenonline.com/news/sir-brian-harold-may
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #878 on: January 23, 2023, 11:08:55 AM »
Just wanted to give you a very belated ‘thank you’ for posting this  :tup

Never imagined that my wife and I could honestly say that we met a future Knight decades earlier
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #879 on: February 15, 2023, 11:41:02 AM »
Any thoughts by anyone on any of the Queen tributes going around?  A guy name Gary Mullen is playing a local theater, and while seeing Fred is best, seeing someone pay decent tribute would be good, though for me, a bad tribute would not be worth it.  If that makes sense.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #880 on: February 15, 2023, 03:10:00 PM »
Just for the lighting during the BoRhap operatic part.... :tup    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul3M5wwrgog

a full show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaZriqhXuqQ  (nice come back with POTU/One Vision after the intermission).  And they do finish with GSTQ.

We had a ball prepandemic seeing them at the same concert hall as DT for the I&W anniversary tour, and there were more people who saw The Works.  No idea how his voice is four years later.

They're playing in Baltimore....but my days of going downtown at night are in the past :sad:

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #881 on: February 15, 2023, 03:26:22 PM »
I've seen 4 different tribute acts.
1. Mullen & the Works 2. Almost Queen 3. Queen Extravaganza 4. Classic Rock perform NATO.

They were all decent and fun, but nothing I'd ever remotely think about seeing again! What I'm dying to see  :corn is a '70's Queen tribute band (glam, pre-mustache Freddie) playing ROCK :metal....not their pop stuff!

STILL wishing MP, Cherone, Nuno & Badger would do this! :metal

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #882 on: February 16, 2023, 02:46:20 AM »
STILL wishing MP, Cherone, Nuno & Badger would do this! :metal

Yeah, I think Extreme completely stole the show at the Freddie Tribute Concert. When everyone else, including both Metallica and G'N'Rs, was playing their biggest hits; Extreme went the distance and put together a medley featuring some of Queen's classics in their own style.

By the way, by MP did you mean Mike Portnoy? I don't think he ever jammed with Gary, Nuno and Pat... at least not that I know of.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #883 on: February 16, 2023, 02:59:38 AM »
Didn't MP play with Cherone on that Who tribute he did several years ago?

Other than that I don't think he's played with any Extreme members.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #884 on: February 16, 2023, 09:25:33 AM »
I just saw Extreme open for Aerosmith at Fenway, and they killed it.  I love MP, but Kevin Figueroa (is that his name?) has been doing a great job and fits in well.  I don't know if that would translate to "Queen"; the original Extreme with Paul Geary were huge fans of Queen (Nuno was up front about III being their "Queen" record); I don't know if Kevin shares that.

I really miss the Portnoy/Gilbert tributes; I'd love to see "Dragon Attack" or "One Vision", whatever Mike calls it, with him, Paul, anyone but Billy Sheehan on bass (I love Billy, but he's not John Deacon-eque), and maybe Gary on vocals (though I personally would love to see Tom Chaplin from Keane, though I can't imagine he's in Mike's circle).  Maybe Eric Gillette.  NOT Jeff Soto.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #885 on: February 16, 2023, 10:34:25 AM »
Didn't MP play with Cherone on that Who tribute he did several years ago?

:tup

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #886 on: March 26, 2023, 12:29:21 PM »
14 shows just announced for a Fall North American tour for Q+AL, opening here in Baltimore  :o

The fourth time will be saying 'goodbye'....

If we can get tickets.  We'll be NB I-95 when they go on sale at 10AM Friday.  This just might be a 'price be damned' purchase.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #887 on: April 27, 2023, 09:06:12 AM »

Rather sad to think that Freddie's belongings are going to be put up for sale.  A real shame that it all wasn't gathered up for a museum, and done so years ago.

That said, we've made plans for its visit in NYC in June.  Thanks TAC for sending this on to me.  But by that time, Mrs. DA had already jokingly made a post on Fbook to start a GoFundMe page in order for us to buy an item ;)

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2023/freddie-mercury-a-world-of-his-own-the-evening-sale

https://www.sothebys.com/en/series/freddie-mercury-a-world-of-his-own

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #888 on: April 27, 2023, 09:12:40 AM »

Rather sad to think that Freddie's belongings are going to be put up for sale.  A real shame that it all wasn't gathered up for a museum, and done so years ago.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Then again, money is a primary factor. If the band or label isn't putting up the initial fund for such a museum, it will be next to impossible to see it become a reality. Interestingly, I came across to the Freddie Mercury Museum in Tanzania  ???  https://freddiemercurymuseum.com/
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #889 on: April 27, 2023, 10:21:40 AM »
I tried to buy the dwarf that Ronnie James Dio had in his front lawn (and which nearly killed him) from an auction, but it went up to something like $2000, and that was too rich for my blood.  I'd love to have something from Freddie, but I can't imagine even the least expensive stuff won't be outrageous.

I may try to go to NYC in June to see the collection, though.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #890 on: April 28, 2023, 12:07:07 PM »
Hey not for nothing, but I'm watching the bonus video from the Live At Wembley Stadium set.  The main concert (the video and the audio from the CD set) is from the Saturday show, the 12th, but the DVD has the full show from the 11th as that bonus.  It didn't rain on the "main show", the 12th, but it started pouring during the Friday show.  It didn't resonate with me before, but Brian and Freddie play Love Of My Life and Is This The World We Created? acoustically, and while it appears that Brian is under cover of the lighting rig, for some of it, Freddie is not, and it's a literal downpour.   I know it's July, so it's probably warm, but for all the talk about Fred's physical condition, for part of Love Of My Life he's nonetheless standing IN THE RAIN, singing , and it's breathtaking.  I, no shit, was fighting off a tear or two as he ended the song with "I still love you" to the crowd, and you know, KNOW, that the "love" of Freddie's life is that crowd.   What a performance. 

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #891 on: May 30, 2023, 06:35:28 AM »
Just a reminder as to the Freddie display coming to Sotheby's in NYC this week.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 10:53:49 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #892 on: July 22, 2023, 08:15:49 AM »
Dolly Parton is releasing a cover album in November of famous rock songs.

The fourth single is out now, We Are The Champions / We Will Rock You.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbF11BeP1kA&list=OLAK5uy_mtwlPqe8eJ5YN2LQdPY1lALOivVySl6mA
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Mladen

« Reply #894 on: August 21, 2023, 08:42:39 AM »
Eh, it was never a great song to begin with.  ;D

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #895 on: August 21, 2023, 01:03:33 PM »
Have they listened to the lyrics at least once or have they decided to remove it solely on the title?

In the 70s and 80s, there were a lot of songs with questionable lyrics. Fat bottomed girls is not one of them.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #896 on: August 21, 2023, 01:09:19 PM »
No reason was released. No need for overreaction yet.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #897 on: August 24, 2023, 01:35:45 PM »
As a market for five year olds, I totally understand it.

Meanwhile....TAC sent this 'Bohemian Rhapsody' Tommy Johansson cover to me last week.

Tommy Johansson-Bohemian Rhapsody
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsbWtnveZSw

I put up with 15-30 seconds of all the covers I've had sent to me.  Or... I totally ignore the offerings.

He did a FAB rendition of 'Who Wants To Live Forever' last year.

This.....THIS.....  is spectacular !!!!!   :tup :tup :tup :tup 

I've listened to it five times....one time I watched.  The 'young' man certainly has the pipes, and I loved the metal aspects of it.

And to take this song, of all songs on, and do it justice. 

WOW! :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

(btw...53 years ago this month, Queen performed their first concert...37 years ago was Knebworth)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #898 on: September 23, 2023, 07:23:16 AM »
Sotheby's auction of Freddie's personal belongings this month netted over $50M.  His piano went for 'only' $2.2M (below expectations), but other items went above expectations (crown and robe for almost $800K). 

They didn't sell any swag at the NYC exhibit, so Mrs. DA ordered this lovely hardcover 256 page book for ourselves (and as holiday stocking stuffers)

This Sunday at 630pm on MeTV is a corny show called 'Collector's Call'.   An old friend Joe Demelio will be showing off his lifetime passion (obsession). 
My wife and I did many a trade/purchase with him back in the day, and he was of great assistance at our first North American convention. 

https://www.metv.com/collectorscall/videos/29c52c095626e2e1

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #899 on: September 24, 2023, 09:41:44 AM »
I saw the ad for that show (my father-in-law and I watch MeTV when he comes over; M*A*S*H, Andy Griffith, Beverly Hillbilly's, Hogan's Heroes).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #900 on: September 24, 2023, 05:12:28 PM »
$50 MILLION?? Wow!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #901 on: October 04, 2023, 10:20:39 AM »
$50 MILLION?? Wow!

Some day, I'll look up a link for a breakdown of items.

The 'Collector's Corner' show was meh.  The hostess, a collector, and Joe Demelio just standing in one spot throughout, while the cameras showed 'some' items.  He probably has around $150-200K of collectibles in that house.

oh, btw.....  Queen + AL start their North American tour tonight in Baltimore.  Floor seats for a change!!!!   :tup

A quick glance for tickets at the old Civic Center, the two nights at MSG, and Detroit indicate only a couple hundred tickets at most available for each venue.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 05:00:12 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #902 on: October 05, 2023, 04:54:33 AM »
Last night was enjoyable as always.  Sat next to a couple from the UK who have seen the band in Europe, Japan, and Australia!  Tonight, then NYC, Atlanta, and LA are on their itinerary. The husband knows Tony Iommi, and showed me a pic with him.  And because of the friendship, told of Tony asking him to stop by for a few minutes, and showed us that meeting....with Brian.   :tup

Sound and lighting were spectacular as always. My ears are NOT ringing, even though I only used my plugs about ten percent of the time.  The crowd was almost as loud and receptive as what I've experienced in Detroit and at MSG.

There were two changes that absolutely did not work.  They opened with the first half of 'Radio Ga Ga', and then had an odd transition into 'Hammer To Fall'.  Second, between WWRY and WATC, they inserted the ending of Radio.  Not a good idea at all.

The changes that did work:  'Stone Cold Crazy' was back in the set list  :tup  and Sir Brian and Adam did a the nice acoustic 'Is This The World We Created?'  Never thought that would be performed over here.

An exceptional 'farewell' for us.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 06:38:19 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #903 on: October 06, 2023, 06:59:48 PM »
Glad you got to see them probably for the last time.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #904 on: October 31, 2023, 10:32:03 AM »
Last night was enjoyable as always.  Sat next to a couple from the UK who have seen the band in Europe, Japan, and Australia!  Tonight, then NYC, Atlanta, and LA are on their itinerary. The husband knows Tony Iommi, and showed me a pic with him.  And because of the friendship, told of Tony asking him to stop by for a few minutes, and showed us that meeting....with Brian.   :tup

Sound and lighting were spectacular as always. My ears are NOT ringing, even though I only used my plugs about ten percent of the time.  The crowd was almost as loud and receptive as what I've experienced in Detroit and at MSG.

There were two changes that absolutely did not work.  They opened with the first half of 'Radio Ga Ga', and then had an odd transition into 'Hammer To Fall'.  Second, between WWRY and WATC, they inserted the ending of Radio.  Not a good idea at all.

The changes that did work:  'Stone Cold Crazy' was back in the set list  :tup  and Sir Brian and Adam did a the nice acoustic 'Is This The World We Created?'  Never thought that would be performed over here.

An exceptional 'farewell' for us.

How come you always seem to run into interesting people?  :biggrin:

Ouch! I don't think Radio Ga Ga is a good opening song even in its entirety. It sounds like a bad idea for what they did there. I don't think they played any obscured or seldom-played songs. Otherwise, you would have said something about it.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #905 on: October 31, 2023, 02:36:23 PM »
i just watched the opening of the show on youtube. That really is a weird way to open the show...

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #906 on: November 08, 2023, 06:27:35 AM »
^
Indeed.  And there's very few who cared for it that way.

As to the Baltimore setlists

Machines (Or 'Back to Humans') / Radio Ga Ga
Hammer to Fall
Stone Cold Crazy  ****
Another One Bites the Dust
I'm in Love With My Car (full version)
Bicycle Race
Fat Bottomed Girls
I Want It All
A Kind of Magic (including Brian's shooting guitar)
Killer Queen  (first half, abrupt end, Adam speaks)
Don't Stop Me Now
Somebody to Love

on the 'B' Stage….front of catwalk
Love of My Life
39 (Brian)
Video-Roger timpani solo, Montreal '81
Drum Solo -Roger
Under Pressure - mostly Roger and Adam
Tie Your Mother Down - acoustic intro
Crazy Little Thing Called Love

I Want to Break Free
You Take My Breath Away - taped intro
Who Wants to Live Forever
Guitar Solo
Is This the World We Created...? -Brian and Adam 'B' Stage
The Show Must Go On
Bohemian Rhapsody

Video: Ay‐Oh (Freddie Wembley '86 )
We Will Rock You
Radio Ga Ga
We Are the Champions
God Save the Queen

**** this was dropped halfway through the tour.  A pity.

Performing some of the songs at the front of the long catwalk was terrific.  It meant we were about twenty feet away.  Again, 'Is This The World We Created?' was a surprise.  'Tie Your Mother Down', with its acoustic beginning as Brian did it during his 'Another World' tour, was OK.

Nice touch adding the video of Roger from Montreal '81 before his drum solo on the tiny kit on the catwalk.  And then doing 'Under Pressure' from that spot, with him leading or sharing most of the lead vocals.  Brian's guitar solo was as visually stimulating as ever.

Me:  I'd have done the full version 'Radio GaGa' somewhere near the end.  Then changed up and thrown in the 'A Day at the Races' taped intro and 'Tie Your Mother Down' to start the show and get the fans going.

I did get an email from the couple we met later on. They're getting ready for the two outdoor shows in Los Angeles this week to close out what could be the final ones in the States.  Lucky pups.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #907 on: November 08, 2023, 06:37:40 AM »
What? If they ain't going to perform the entire Killer Queen, a classic of theirs, why bother playing just a part of it? Also, I am not thrilled with this setlist. I understand they are up there with age and probably want to play it safe, but I think they are playing it too safe. They could have added something not on their rotation in recent years like Play The Game or It's Late.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #908 on: December 03, 2023, 07:27:36 PM »
I'm so far behind the times.....

As to 'Killer Queen':  the band never performed the full version....from the 'Sheer Heart Attack' tour up to Montreal '81, and then during 'The Works' tour. 

Why?  I have no effin' idea.

The setlist,  as mentioned earlier, had a couple of surprises, most notably 'Is This The World We Created...?'.  Playing 'A Kind Of Magic' to a Stateside audience was also a treat.

Back in 2017, for the 40th anniversary of 'News Of The World', the first few shows had 'Get Down Make Love' during the concert, and then 'Spread Your Wings' as the opening encore.  Both were dropped due to supposed lack of response.  Well, 'Spread Your Wings' in the middle would have worked.

I've been annoyed for two decades that they didn't play 'Driven By You' of Brian's, and a kick axe version of Roger's 'Man On Fire' as something different.  Along with 'Let Me Live', 'Innuendo', or 'Breakthru'.  Hey, give me 'Keep Passing The Open Windows' just to make me happy. ;)

'Love Kills' was done back when the long lost track was finally released.  That, along with 'Let Me In Your Heart Again' would have been a nice touch on this tour, since other Works tracks were featured so prominently this go round.

Of the fourteen cities they performed at, eight added an extra night.  I talked with friends that went to both the San Francisco and LA shows.  They say that the LA attendance is at least 25,000.  That outdoor soccer stadium in LA sold out in one hour for the first show, thus the second night.  And, as the wife and I know all too well, those tickets went for either $250 or $500 a piece (as we paid for the Baltimore first night, which sold out in thirty minutes).

A shame they didn't do a stadium show in Detroit.  We'd have gladly flown there and attended another show.

For the fourth time, we said 'thank you and good night' to Brian and Roger.  God knows....god knows....... we might break free for yet another show in another year. ;)