Author Topic: The Queen Thread  (Read 101907 times)

Offline Azyiu

Re: The Queen Thread
« Reply #840 on: May 04, 2022, 02:36:11 AM »
Random thought...

IMHO the songs "You and I" from A Day at the Races and "Who Needs You" from News Of The World are two of the band's least talked about gems.... at least not well know to causal fans who I know of.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #841 on: May 18, 2022, 07:49:22 AM »
TAC sent this to me a couple of days ago.  Just posted last week.  A nice interview with Roger and friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m15PodQ3k8A

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #842 on: June 04, 2022, 08:25:17 AM »
Not sure exactly what is planned for this Jubilee, but it did cause me to take a trip down memory lane twenty years ago of Brian's performance
on top of Buckingham Palace.  Always gives me goosebumps :tup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KNWdhVJq9k

Just heard this interview ten minutes ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKX0pGU70_I
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #843 on: June 05, 2022, 11:54:46 AM »

I gotta admit....that at around 2:10 we had goosebumps and tears, and they mostly remained for the next nine plus minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAJDXYUvSU4

Kudos to your Queen for her sense of humour during the prelude.  A shame they didn't include Freddie's 'daaay-ohs' from Wembley '86, but.....no complaints.

And Tim, they played the complete version of that song you'd never heard before..... :D :tup

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #844 on: June 05, 2022, 02:31:24 PM »
Very nice.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #845 on: June 05, 2022, 03:27:57 PM »
Hah, I actually recognized that second song.

In fact Joe, while we were on vacation, we were at a shopping outlet, and in one of the stores they were playing Don't Stop Me Now. It made me think of you. But the kicker is like two stores later, We Will Rock You was on. :lol

That was a great video. We visited Buckingham Palace back in 2014. I could see right where we were standing. It's such an awesome place, especially the grounds around it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #846 on: June 05, 2022, 03:39:20 PM »
I was walking by the Buckingham Palace toward Green Park yesterday afternoon. There were a TON of people sticking around, even though none of us have tickets to get inside; and I just kept on walking to avoid the crowd. They did a good job in sealing off the palace's ground, and you just could not see a thing if you do not have tickets to get inside. Would have been nice to witness the actual performance though. By the way, as said above, I am going to the O2 for their show on the 15th, can't wait.  :metal
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #847 on: June 10, 2022, 08:05:05 AM »
^
At least you could see the crowd, and maybe a huge TV screen.  Enjoy the show next week :tup

A couple of recent fun pix....

oh, and in recent news (an album I'll finally get to in the discography next week.

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/queen-mark-milestone-as-first-british-act-with-1-000-weeks-inside-the-official-albums-chart-with-greatest-hits-__36522/

"By George Griffiths
Queen’s Greatest Hits has reached the landmark milestone of 1,000 weeks on the Official Album Chart.   

Rising one spot to Number 18 this week, Queen now become the first British act and third act overall to achieve 1,000 weeks inside the Official Albums Chart Top 100 with an album after Bob Marley & The Wailers’ greatest hits collection Legend (1032 weeks) and the original record-setter, ABBA’s Gold – Greatest Hits (1048 weeks). 

Originally released in 1981, Greatest Hits peaked at Number 1 on the Official Albums Chart and would stay on the top for 4 weeks. Its tracklist contains the best-known tracks from Freddy Mercury and co.’s first decade-or-so as a band, with classics such as Bohemian Rhapsody, Killer Queen and Somebody To Love."

Decades later, and these  :censored STILL can't spell his name right!  :facepalm:

Time to spin me a Johnny Lennon and The Beatles album .... :lol

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #848 on: June 16, 2022, 03:19:38 AM »
The show at The O2 last night was good overall, and they literally played non-stop for 2+ hours before the "encore"; considering both Brian May and Roger Taylor are in their 70's. :hefdaddy Brain never has a strong singing voice to begin with, and I guess due to his age he sounded a bit weak; but his guitar playing is still GREAT!! He changed things a bit in his guitar solo session. The first half was this soulful, melodic tune accompanied by kind of a spacey keyboard background, I wish a recording of it is available somewhere. The second half of his solo was closer to what we are accustom to. The mixing was pretty good, though I wish they would raise the bass guitar a touch more.

I have NO negative to say about the show nor the O2 Arena itself, but ticketmaster UK sucks! :lol Like I might have mentioned before, I never received my tickets and when I finally have gotten a hold of a human to live chat with me; they literally told me we just sold the tickets, go check with the O2 help desk when you are there! Luckily the O2 ticketing office is great and the issue was immediately resolved once I got there. I f-ing hate ticketmaster UK!  >:(
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #849 on: June 17, 2022, 04:12:25 PM »
Tommy Johansson is at it again.

This time it's Queen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0enEhN74lE4
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #850 on: June 18, 2022, 11:55:45 AM »
I ignore/disregard/despise 95% of Queen and Beatle
covers thrown my way.....this was GREAT! :tup  Good set of pipes, and a damn good version.

Even the wife, who holds Freddie waaay above my level of admiration, liked this a ton.

Thank you.

btw, we’ve heard and suffered through more than our fair share of semi talented, and the truly subpar, who should know better than to give ‘The Show Must Go On’ a try.

Now I gotta listen to a few of his prior works.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 01:09:14 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #851 on: June 18, 2022, 12:17:42 PM »
If you hit his youtube channel, he's releasing a ton of these covers. Not all rock songs either.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #852 on: June 19, 2022, 02:09:27 AM »
The first half was this soulful, melodic tune accompanied by kind of a spacey keyboard background, I wish a recording of it is available somewhere. The second half of his solo was closer to what we are accustom to.
Maybe it was based on his solo instrumental Last Horizon? He usually whips that one out live during the past few tours.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #853 on: June 19, 2022, 02:57:13 AM »

Maybe it was based on his solo instrumental Last Horizon? He usually whips that one out live during the past few tours.

No sir, it is something entirely new. It slowly builds up to an emotional high section... or think "Hell's Kitchen" with just guitar and a keyboard as background. I really loved it.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #854 on: June 19, 2022, 08:47:40 AM »

No sir, it is something entirely new. It slowly builds up to an emotional high section... or think "Hell's Kitchen" with just guitar and a keyboard as background. I really loved it.

found this from a Birmingham show  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klzLGCYWZL0  (leads into a short version of 'Tie Your Mother Down'). 

As always, such a visual stunning experience.  Something like this is what should have been part of the 'Flash' soundtrack.

Glad you enjoyed the London show.  The three times I've seen Queen +AL it's been viewed as our 'goodbye' and vice versa.  Now I'm hoping for a fourth this fall after watching the solo. 

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #855 on: June 20, 2022, 03:43:39 AM »

found this from a Birmingham show  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klzLGCYWZL0  (leads into a short version of 'Tie Your Mother Down'). 

As always, such a visual stunning experience.  Something like this is what should have been part of the 'Flash' soundtrack.

Glad you enjoyed the London show.  The three times I've seen Queen +AL it's been viewed as our 'goodbye' and vice versa.  Now I'm hoping for a fourth this fall after watching the solo.

Yeah! I must have been too excited to recognize the piece... the first part was actually Symphony #9 In E Minor, Op. 95, "From The New World" - Largo... damn, but I guess my mind just wasn't really thinking at that time  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #856 on: July 01, 2022, 11:26:50 AM »
I’m standing here waiting for Queen + Adam Lambert to start in anout half an hour, with my mom, who last saw Queen in 1980 :o

First time for me!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #857 on: July 01, 2022, 11:42:47 AM »
I’m standing here waiting for Queen + Adam Lambert to start in anout half an hour, with my mom, who last saw Queen in 1980 :o

First time for me!

You are in for a treat, and I am certain you will LOVE the show! Enjoy it, my friend.  :metal
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #858 on: July 01, 2022, 11:51:41 AM »
Wham, bam,  Amsterdamn!!!  Enjoy all of the day and night.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #859 on: July 18, 2022, 12:19:50 PM »
Happy 75th, Doctor May!  :tup  And, 'thank you!'

« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 09:29:19 AM by DragonAttack »

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #860 on: September 05, 2022, 09:31:43 AM »
Freddie would have been 76 today, so we're spinning a few assorted discs throughout the day, and wearing some related garb. 

A fun little shirt my wife bought for me a few years back... :tup :D

Nice to see Brian and Roger at the Tribute Saturday.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #861 on: September 05, 2022, 10:25:40 AM »
RIP & HBD to the GREATEST  :hefdaddy

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #862 on: September 16, 2022, 12:20:20 PM »
Tommy Johansson is at it again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHAkV3tsygw

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #863 on: September 16, 2022, 03:44:57 PM »
One negative:  as with all guitarists, which I could his face whilst he's playing guitar.

Just as with your earlier share of him doing 'The Show Must Go On', which was too many have attempted and failed at (including Elton John), Johansson knocks it out of the park!  :tup :tup :tup

This guy has some great pipes!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #864 on: September 16, 2022, 03:49:06 PM »
One negative:  as with all guitarists, which I could his face whilst he's playing guitar.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #865 on: September 16, 2022, 05:16:01 PM »
I share more than the same first name with king sometimes 😀

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #866 on: September 16, 2022, 05:35:26 PM »
That's the first thing I thought.  :lol

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #867 on: September 16, 2022, 09:49:10 PM »
 :lol

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #868 on: September 17, 2022, 03:18:16 PM »
The upcoming 'new' release

https://www.insider.com/queen-will-debut-unreleased-freddie-mercury-song-in-september-2022-6

The 'Face It Alone' demo (it's listed under 'The Miracle Demo Versions' on page 31 of the discography)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjkJZpfIfs

There's quite a few more they could touch up, and quite a few that seem to be more complete than this.

Still no idea of the release date.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #869 on: September 17, 2022, 03:25:13 PM »
That definitely needs some touching up, but I'd be up for it.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #870 on: October 13, 2022, 10:00:36 AM »
I know there have been billboards throughout the world announcing today's release of 'Face It Alone'.....but

thanks to Tim, I did not know about this until a few minutes ago.

https://bravewords.com/news/queen-release-rediscovered-track-face-it-alone-featuring-freddie-mercury-lyric-video-the-miracle-collector-s-edition-due-in-november

I mean, 'Holy crap on a cracker!!!!'   FINALLY !!!! 

When this wasn't released in 2019 on its 30th Anniversary, I figured it would never see the light of day.  And ...  it will contain some demos that I never knew existed, of songs I never knew existed  :tup :tup

Details   https://www.queenonline.com/news/press-release-queen-the-miracle-collectors-edition

Maybe it will be a bit bloated, and I had to laugh at the typical Queenonline spin  "Widely recognised as Queen’s strongest album of the 80’s and one of their most inspired, the 1989 released The Miracle was a global success reaching No. 1 in the UK and several major European markets, even re-establishing the band in the US where it delivered a gold album."

Strongest?  Eff no! Though it could have been.

Curious as to the tweaks that will be done on the vinyl, looking forward to the intended 'Another Miracle', the demos I've never heard of, the polished demos of those I have heard. (mentioned on page 26 of the discography   https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57201.1050)

I WANT IT ALL.......AND I WANT IT NOW!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 10:20:43 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #871 on: October 13, 2022, 10:09:36 AM »
I just found out about this about an hour ago myself. I took a look at the box set. Tempted to get it for the Mrs. for a Christmas gift. I am a fan of Queen, she is a massive fan. The Miracle though - I never thought it was the greatest record. Solid, for sure. But the hype looked a little overdone.

The other thing I am trying to figure out is whether the box is worth it, at least for my wife. I preordered at Amazon, and then cancelled, waffling a bit. It's a tad pricey at 180 for what I know that she personally would get out of it. So I may opt for the two CD release. She's not a huge vinyl collector, and while I know she would enjoy the book, the BluRay, etc., all the extras aren't something she'd really sit and pour over, I don't think.

Been playing The Miracle and The Game this morning. Next up, Innuendo...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #872 on: October 13, 2022, 11:22:29 AM »
So what other Queen albums have gotten this treatment?  I'm pretty sure News Of The World did. 

I'm with you on the hyperbole of advertisements; it's like all proper grammar and English usage go out the window. I could never be a PR person, clearly.   :).  I'm particularly amused by stuff like "The Miracle as never heard before. Sourced from a master tape from March 1989, the Long Lost Cut reinstates ‘Too Much Love Will Kill You’ as it was originally intended, in the exact position on Side One allotted in 1989, nestled between ‘I Want It All’ and ‘The Invisible Man’. The updated LP sleeve presents the album with a gatefold cover for the first time in its history."

It's not the approximate position, oh no.  It is EXACTLY where it was intended to be. Good thing. I was so worried they'd be imprecise and maybe start TMLWKY like halfway into IWIA, leaving a big gap of silence before The Invisible Man starts.  ;) :) :)   I also want proof this has NEVER been heard before; NO ONE EVER made a mix tape with TMLWKY in there?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 11:30:48 AM by Stadler »

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #873 on: November 03, 2022, 08:32:31 AM »
After the initial excitement, perhaps we'll just get the package that gives us the 'new' material.  We never watch videos, and..   we don't even have BlueRay! :D

Roger just released a new album, 'The Outsider Live' from shows last year.  Brian makes a guest appearance.  I had more than a few Queeniacs that flew over for some shows.

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news/roger-taylor-the-outsider-tour-live/

I've heard samples of a couple of songs.  'Man On Fire' sounds so slow, almost like something a 70+ year old would perform.  :lol

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #874 on: December 07, 2022, 11:42:19 AM »
I want to thank Mrs. TAC for watching this, and then for Tim for passing this along to us

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt16277412/

If you have CW, or Prime Video, this is a history of AIDS revolving around Freddie, ...from the early 80s up through The Tribute Concert.

Tim told me about this last week, and the wife and I watched it Saturday night.  I would have edited a few segments to be longer, but this was
a terrific documentary.  My angst at Reagan and his WH spokesman, along with Thatcher.....went beyond the roof.  But to follow along with the history of
AIDS, and how it revolved around such an iconic figure, was both moving and sad.

:tup :tup :tup :tup :tup