Author Topic: The Queen Thread  (Read 101970 times)

Offline Pettor

Re: The Queen Thread
« Reply #805 on: September 11, 2021, 02:03:27 PM »
Innuendo, the album, is a fantastic ending to their career and the song is amazing. But better than Bohemian Rhapsody, naaah. I heard BR more times than I can count and it's still gets me into a great mood and it's the best sing-a-long-song ever. It's remarkable how a piece like BR can be so complicated and yet 100% catchy and accessible. Honestly I know no other song like BR and that's very unique. Innuendo is a much more classic prog rock masterpiece in that sense. It sounds great and does everything right but I kind of understand that creative skilful artists can create a song like that and kind of recognize the sound. It doesn't bend my mind the same way as BR does.

BR is beyond my understanding in a way. How do you begin to create it? The song throws out any existing template but still feels easy to follow. It's like 4 different songs perfectly moving between each other. And how the hell do you make an acapella section like that so catchy? How do you make a song move between utter beauty, insane opera, hard rock and then back to beauty where every single piece works together and sound incredible by themselves? And it's actually moving between the sections pretty fast. It's just insane but for some reason works. I guess anyone can imagine creating a song with crazy over the top sections and moving between them but most of the times that would end up in utter failure and a mess.

Anyway BR is a fantastic enigma to me and the song that unlocked the idea that music can be anything. And it usually reminds me that masterpieces like this doesn't have to be serious but actually whacky and joyful.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #806 on: September 11, 2021, 05:13:20 PM »
This is going to come out wrong, because I certainly am not glad he passed, and I can only lament the great work that we all missed out on, but there's something about always remembering Freddie in that Live Aid phase.  It's such an iconic look, and I struggle to imagine what the Freddie of 2021 at age 75 would look like on stage with Queen.

Honestly, I can't imagine Freddie BEING on stage with Queen anymore. I feel like he would've just said screw it and eventually retired to an island somewhere.

Not sure I can either. Although it could have deteriorated into a Sunset Boulevard situation at some future point as well.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #807 on: September 11, 2021, 05:18:12 PM »
Loving the praise for Innuendo here. I burned out on many of Queen's hits a long time ago, #1 being Bohemian Rhapsody. But Innuendo will always feel fresh and put me in a rocking mood.

It's fantastic album, but like Bowie, Warren Zevon and Leonard Cohen's final albums can be a depressing listen.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Qu
« Reply #808 on: September 11, 2021, 06:06:53 PM »
Innuendo is probably my 2nd favorite Queen album (behind Sheer Heart Attack), and the song Innuendo is awesome; probably a top 5 Queen tune in my book.  But nothing they ever did tops Bohemian Rhapsody. That song is worthy of all attention and praise it gets.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #809 on: September 12, 2021, 09:41:00 AM »
My favorite Queen song is It's Late. Not as complex as their other masterpieces but it really resonated with me.

"It's late" is an absolute TOP 5 for me:
1. Tie Your Mother Down
2. Liar
3. Now I'm Here
4. Ogre Battle
5. It's Late

This is hard.  I'd like to vote for "Side One" of Queen II as my favorite song, but that's not going to happen is it? :)

1. Funny How Love Is
2. The Prophet Song
3. Innuendo
4. One Vision
5. The Show Must Go On

We Are The Champions is in there, Now I'm Here is in there, White Queen is in there, March of the Black Queen is in there... they're so good.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #810 on: September 12, 2021, 09:48:37 AM »
Also gotta chime in on some of the Queen II love here. I'd say I love their first three albums more than anything else in their catalog.

Out of curiosity, if we divided up their 15 albums into 5 groups of three, how would you all rank them?
Group 1: Queen, Queen II, Sheer Heart Attack
Group 2: A Night At The Opera, A Day At The Races, News Of The World
Group 3: Jazz, Flash Gordon, The Game
Group 4: Hot Space, The Works, A Kind Of Magic
Group 5: The Miracle, Innuendo, Made In Heaven

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #811 on: September 12, 2021, 01:15:32 PM »
Also gotta chime in on some of the Queen II love here. I'd say I love their first three albums more than anything else in their catalog.

Out of curiosity, if we divided up their 15 albums into 5 groups of three, how would you all rank them?
Group 1: Queen, Queen II, Sheer Heart Attack
Group 2: A Night At The Opera, A Day At The Races, News Of The World
Group 3: Jazz, Flash Gordon, The Game
Group 4: Hot Space, The Works, A Kind Of Magic
Group 5: The Miracle, Innuendo, Made In Heaven

-Marc.
I love most of them, my alltime favourites are Opera and Innuendo. The only ones I don't like too much are The Game and Hot Space-
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #812 on: September 12, 2021, 02:19:54 PM »
I loved Rick's video, and it's pretty cool that he probably watched this amazing video where Brian goes through BR track by track, because he mostly avoided repeating the same points and putting in clips of Brian repeating them as well. Nice added value for me!

I'd like to vote for "Side One" of Queen II as my favorite song

1. Funny How Love Is
Of course you're the kind of person who prefers side one to side two, but then your fave song is from side two :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #813 on: September 12, 2021, 05:34:01 PM »
I loved Rick's video, and it's pretty cool that he probably watched this amazing video where Brian goes through BR track by track, because he mostly avoided repeating the same points and putting in clips of Brian repeating them as well. Nice added value for me!

I'd like to vote for "Side One" of Queen II as my favorite song

1. Funny How Love Is
Of course you're the kind of person who prefers side one to side two, but then your fave song is from side two :lol

HAHA!  Well, I couldn't decide (and in any event, I LOVE the harmony vocals on FHLI)!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #814 on: September 13, 2021, 03:47:25 AM »
It's just interesting, I would have said side two, even though I'm a Brian May girl through and through. His songwriting is a little vanilla there, while Freddie is kicking all kinds of ass on "his" side.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #815 on: September 13, 2021, 09:27:07 AM »
So I just finished listening to my CD-length playlist of favorite Queen songs and I think I finally narrowed down my top 5 in order.

1. It's Late
2. The Millionaire Waltz
3. Save Me
4. Hammer to Fall
5. I Can't Live With You (Queen Rocks version)

I can listen to these songs on repeat all day.

I just want to gush on The Millionaire Waltz. Bohemian Rhapsody is rightfully hailed as a compositional masterpiece, but TMW for me is it's deep cut counterpart. John Deacon is amazing in this song. And that moment when the band entered with that heavy riff, the epic feel gets me every time. Then when it switches back to the piano with Brian May's orchestral guitar.  :hefdaddy

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #816 on: September 13, 2021, 09:52:07 AM »
No other song I know about hits me as hard as Mother Love. Knowing it was his final vocal ever, paired with those lyrics... it moves me to tears every time.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #817 on: September 14, 2021, 06:03:17 AM »
No other song I know about hits me as hard as Mother Love. Knowing it was his final vocal ever, paired with those lyrics... it moves me to tears every time.
Yeah. I held out on listening to Made In Heaven for the longest time so when I heard it I already knew the story and how it was made, and when the final verse started with Brian's vocal it just murdered me :'(

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #818 on: September 14, 2021, 07:50:28 AM »
It's just interesting, I would have said side two, even though I'm a Brian May girl through and through. His songwriting is a little vanilla there, while Freddie is kicking all kinds of ass on "his" side.

Hey, look, you're not going to get any argument from me!  Queen II is far and away my favorite Queen record, and I wished they used that more cohesive approach on later albums.   The songs were dynamic, but there was a sort of continuity to them.  Some of the albums that followed (I'd say ANATO to maybe Jazz) seemed very... schizophrenic in the way they bounced from style and feel to style and feel.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #819 on: September 21, 2021, 06:03:59 AM »
I just want to gush on The Millionaire Waltz. Bohemian Rhapsody is rightfully hailed as a compositional masterpiece, but TMW for me is it's deep cut counterpart. John Deacon is amazing in this song. And that moment when the band entered with that heavy riff, the epic feel gets me every time. Then when it switches back to the piano with Brian May's orchestral guitar.  :hefdaddy
Brian really loves that song as well! I've read in one of his guitar mag interviews that he also used it as an example of how John was so underrated as a bass player, saying how you have to check out his playing on that track.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #820 on: April 01, 2022, 06:35:11 PM »
combining and moving some of these from the Queen discography thread

At the 'Stormtroopers in Stilettoes' exhibition, 2011.  Videos of them together in 2001 and 2021 are in another thread.

RIP, Taylor Hawkins

Sadly, the exhibition was only in London.  Another 'lost opportunity'.  A shame that it didn't have a travelling show in the States.

It also goes to show the friendship and mutual admiration between Brian, Roger, Dave, and Taylor.  This was during The Foos UK concert tour, where Brian and Roger would perform a song with them.

Brian's thoughts on The Foo Fighters http://rockandrollgarage.com/what-is-brian-mays-opinion-on-the-foo-fighters/
and,

an interview released a month ago!  https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/music/1573683/Brian-May-Cyborg-Taylor-Hawkins-Foo-Fighters

I did not know until this morning (March 26th) that Taylor had sat in with Brian to help with a remixed version of a song on 'Another World' to be released in late April.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #821 on: April 01, 2022, 06:46:14 PM »
(earlier in the Taylor Hawkins thread)
Memories in my 'Queen' world...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnkTh4I_Zis  Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins' speech inducting Queen into the RRHOF, March 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e63sQ8Jz57s  Brian May and Roger Taylor accepting, and then Freddie's mom coming to the stage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHiPF018Nho  Brian, Roger, Dave and Taylor perform 'Tie Your Mother Down'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG-P-iIrL0Y   f*cking Roger Taylor with the Foo Fighters doing f*cking 'Under Pressure'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsIajpEncUY the Foos last June at MSG performing 'Somebody To Love' last June.  Concerts and 'normal' were somewhat starting a comeback.

I recently saw the Alanis Morrisette 'Jagged' documentary.  I didn't know he was her drummer for two years before moving on.

:sad:
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #822 on: April 01, 2022, 06:48:02 PM »
I saw her in 1996. I must've seen him too then.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #823 on: April 01, 2022, 06:50:57 PM »
In very recent 'news of the world' ;), Roger gets an O.B.E. (Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire)

Brian received his in 2005.

https://wror.com/2022/03/31/queens-roger-taylor-receives-obe-honors-dedicates-to-taylor-hawkins/

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #824 on: April 01, 2022, 06:51:48 PM »
I saw that mentioned on the webz. I was wondering what OBE stood for.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #825 on: April 01, 2022, 06:57:50 PM »
Going from "her voice gets on my nerves" to being a big fan of Alanis now in the last few years is still one of the more shocking music revelations I've ever had.

Carry on...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #826 on: April 01, 2022, 07:00:29 PM »
Jagged Little Pill was an important album during the "Ice Age" chapter of my life.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #827 on: April 01, 2022, 07:02:52 PM »
I was just in a different head space then.  Rush, Floyd, Yes, Dream Theater and Queensryche were bands that dominated my CD player for most of the mid 90s, and that time span was also when I got into Blue Oyster Cult, Queen and Kansas in big ways, so hearing stuff like Alanis on the radio was like nails on the chalkboard.

Getting back on topic, I remember hearing the Queen songs from Highlander for the first time and being blown to shreds.  That chorus to Princes of the Universe was like musical catnip!!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #828 on: April 04, 2022, 08:15:23 AM »
Going from "her voice gets on my nerves" to being a big fan of Alanis now in the last few years is still one of the more shocking music revelations I've ever had.

Carry on...

No, me too. She was a joke to me when she came out (not her, really, but I knew a girl that was so up her own ass we called her "Alanis") but especially hearing the acoustic version of "Jagged Little Pill" I have a new appreciation, and while her music isn't my favorite, I like her a lot.

Getting back on topic, I remember hearing the Queen songs from Highlander for the first time and being blown to shreds.  That chorus to Princes of the Universe was like musical catnip!!

For me, it was "Gimme The Prize", but it was the same reaction.  "I am the one, the only one, I am the god of Kingdom Come, GIMME THE PRIZE!"   So epic.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #829 on: April 04, 2022, 10:21:53 AM »
On the topic of Highlander and Queen songs: Who Wants To Live Forever, the chorus after the quiet part, when the whole band kicks in with the big choir, that always gives me goosebumps.  :metal :metal :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #830 on: April 07, 2022, 09:08:09 AM »

I'm always going to remember that description!  The 'here/here/here/ here we are' part is exquisite :tup

On the topic of Highlander and Queen songs: Who Wants To Live Forever, the chorus after the quiet part, when the whole band kicks in with the big choir, that always gives me goosebumps.  :metal :metal :metal

Agree x10.  I will say it was 'odd' to hear the single version six years later with the that chorus repeated.

Also...as to both of those songs:  if one had not read the credits, you would probably think Brian wrote 'Princes' and Freddie WWTLF, not the other way around.

And this came up instantly today when I opened up youtube  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGp6gwO6I-k

'The Daily Doug' did the title track of 'Innuendo' two days ago.  His facial reactions were about what mine must have been like over thirty years ago. :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #831 on: April 20, 2022, 02:17:12 PM »
The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert is streaming on youtube for free for the next 48 hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PxGF4rNuLA

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #832 on: April 20, 2022, 06:06:02 PM »
The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert is streaming on youtube for free for the next 48 hours.

I watched bit of it Monday night, since it was held on the Easter Monday thirty years ago. I did give it a mention on the VH thread discussing Gary Cherone.

My memory is so bad, that I do not recall if it was telecast that night in the States, or the following weekend.  In any event, I DID see it when it was first broadcast here.

I couldn't believe it had been THIRTY frickin years ago!  Thirty!????  Man, oh man.

And, still can't believe the two singers they chose for BoRhap.  What a letdown.......

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #833 on: April 20, 2022, 06:09:20 PM »
Who'd they choose? Was it Axl?

I remember in the 90's Axl narrated a really cool Queen documentary.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #834 on: April 21, 2022, 05:47:36 AM »

I know I'm in the minority, but I LOVED Plant's version of Innuendo.  I wish he wasn't so hard on himself (but then again, maybe I'm glad, since his work has been STELLAR over the past two decades).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #835 on: April 21, 2022, 09:26:24 AM »
I’ve never watched it.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #836 on: April 21, 2022, 11:06:01 AM »

Bummer it's not the whole show, Extreme's Queen Medley is awesome

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #837 on: April 21, 2022, 01:24:56 PM »

And it was a damn heartfelt narration at that :tup

Queen + Robert Plant   Innuendo/Kashmir/Thank You/Crazy Little Thing Called Love        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twlc9GzWL8c

Extreme 'medley'       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prwCpJ0J2aM

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #838 on: April 26, 2022, 05:42:58 AM »

And it was a damn heartfelt narration at that :tup

Queen + Robert Plant   Innuendo/Kashmir/Thank You/Crazy Little Thing Called Love        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twlc9GzWL8c

Extreme 'medley'       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prwCpJ0J2aM

If Queen stole the show at Live Aid back in 1985, IMHO Extreme stole it back at this concert. No one else pay their tribute like Nuno, Gary, Paul and Pat did.  :tup
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #839 on: April 26, 2022, 09:25:40 AM »
I agree.  I thought the Extreme segment was fantastic.