Author Topic: The Queen Thread  (Read 101969 times)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The Queen Thread
« Reply #770 on: November 15, 2020, 05:56:58 PM »
Rock Montreal kind of got me into music. I was chilling by my TV, minding my own business, when a local TV station played about half of it. Somewhere in between Roger singing lead on I'm In Love With My Car and Brian sitting down to play the piano on Save Me, I went from a kid who casually likes Queen and rock music in general to the obsessed beast I am to this day.

There's a little moment in Save Me where Brian starts playing but he's not quite there yet, and Freddie comes over and they stand together, get synced, and start the song.  Beautiful, real moment (plus, Freddie sings the crap out of the song).

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #771 on: November 16, 2020, 02:29:48 AM »
That moment lives rent-free in my head. Along with the moment which we sadly don't have on video, where they're starting Save Me somewhere on the same tour and Freddie says "ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Brian May on the piano! Yes, yes, he's wonderful, he's got a big c***!" :lol Freddie was so funny :hefdaddy

I wanna see the guys again next year if the dates hold. I saw them with Paul and it was my first concert and it was lovely. I really wasn't thinking "oh here's Brian and Roger playing Queen songs", I just realized at one moment that, oh, crap, I'm watching QUEEN.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 02:42:53 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #772 on: November 16, 2020, 08:46:58 AM »
That moment lives rent-free in my head.

Haha, I'm stealing that.   :)

How was that Paul Rodgers show?   It sort of seems skipped over now, but I'm a HUGE Paul Rodgers fan, and based on the two live shows they released, he sang the crap out of those songs. 

I tried to see them in NY on the last go round, but it didn't work out.  I'm not as keen on Adam as I am on Paul, but I'd go see that just to see the spectacle.   

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #773 on: November 16, 2020, 01:24:02 PM »
It sort of seems skipped over now, but I'm a HUGE Paul Rodgers fan, and based on the two live shows they released, he sang the crap out of those songs.
I'm really not sure why it's skipped over. Everyone always goes on about how it's so different and how they could never get used to it. I didn't hear that much of a dramatic difference, when you're at a Queen show and someone's up there singing Queen songs really well, it tracks. And the dude saaaang. Obviously less versatile in style and range than Freddie, but it checked out. I didn't mind hearing the songs they did together (it was the part of the tour after they put out The Cosmos Rocks), and the BC/Free songs I already knew and loved. It was great, though of course my favorite bit was the Brian/Roger singing block with Love Of My Life, '39 and I'm In Love With My Car, because they stayed in front of us all the time (my sister, my brother and I were right in front of that little runway stage bit).

And then, when they stopped playing with him and started playing with Adam, everyone went back to requesting them to get with a rock singer instead. Why weren't they there when Queen played with a rock singer? Moreover, why would Queen go to a Jeff Scot Soto kinda guy next, when they just did tours with a rock legend, someone they actually looked up to when they were both starting out? It was time to go into a different direction.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #774 on: November 16, 2020, 01:55:19 PM »
It sort of seems skipped over now, but I'm a HUGE Paul Rodgers fan, and based on the two live shows they released, he sang the crap out of those songs.
I'm really not sure why it's skipped over. Everyone always goes on about how it's so different and how they could never get used to it. I didn't hear that much of a dramatic difference, when you're at a Queen show and someone's up there singing Queen songs really well, it tracks. And the dude saaaang. Obviously less versatile in style and range than Freddie, but it checked out. I didn't mind hearing the songs they did together (it was the part of the tour after they put out The Cosmos Rocks), and the BC/Free songs I already knew and loved. It was great, though of course my favorite bit was the Brian/Roger singing block with Love Of My Life, '39 and I'm In Love With My Car, because they stayed in front of us all the time (my sister, my brother and I were right in front of that little runway stage bit).

That must've been very cool.   It looked like they were building Roger's kit while he was playing; is that how it went down?

And then, when they stopped playing with him and started playing with Adam, everyone went back to requesting them to get with a rock singer instead. Why weren't they there when Queen played with a rock singer? Moreover, why would Queen go to a Jeff Scot Soto kinda guy next, when they just did tours with a rock legend, someone they actually looked up to when they were both starting out? It was time to go into a different direction.

I'm with you; not that I don't like Jeff, but if they went in that direction, it would be a hard pass for me.  I'll go now because it seems like of interesting, plus the setlist is out of this world. 

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #775 on: November 16, 2020, 03:03:17 PM »
Yes, they had to build it on the spot so he could play and sing in the front, so as they were building it, he was playing the parts that were complete! Really cool gimmick. The technical part of the show was great of course, I imagine how much cooler it has gotten since then.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #776 on: November 25, 2020, 10:27:34 PM »
Due to life events, I failed to post about our dear Freddie's passing 29 years ago a few days past.

From perhaps the world's greatest showman, at perhaps the world's greatest stage (Madison Square Garden...A- audience recording, Freddie, the band, and the audience were on fire on this second night at MSG), a few days after I saw the boys in Kzoo.  THE absolute best concert experience in my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1Hm5rTddG0&t=2950s

Thanks to all of the above, I met the 'love of my life' a couple of decades later.  A couple of decades after that, the show still goes on.  Enjoy.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 04:38:02 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #777 on: January 22, 2021, 05:37:22 PM »
What the hell....why not?

« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 07:38:39 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #778 on: January 22, 2021, 06:51:01 PM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin

Berniemian Rhapsody
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #779 on: January 22, 2021, 07:40:25 PM »
Stealing this, and posting on various Fbook friends pages :tup

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #780 on: January 23, 2021, 09:24:59 AM »
ROFLMAO ITS BERNIE IN A PLACE AND THIS BERNIE IN A PLACE IS FUNNIER THAN THE LAST BERNIE IN A PLACE

TL;DR I'm not a fan of memes  ;D ;D

I love the band Queen - but there's a reason the Greatest Hits albums sell so well - it's because the albums are full of filler. I noticed this a while ago

when I put on a Queen album and a lot of it was just MEH apart from the big hits.

The Police fall into this category too. Great singles. Albums packed with filler.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #781 on: January 23, 2021, 10:50:18 AM »
The latter albums are indeed full of filler. The first four are great start to finish.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #782 on: January 23, 2021, 11:30:52 AM »
What the hell....why not?

Dude - You WIN!!  :hefdaddy

:rollin

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #783 on: May 26, 2021, 05:32:09 AM »
Just bought tickets for Queen + Adam Lambert at the avicci arena in Stockholm on the 20th of July 2022.

For different reasons I have never seen either Queen or Queen + but am really glad to finally do that.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #784 on: May 26, 2021, 08:16:09 AM »
Just bought tickets for Queen + Adam Lambert at the avicci arena in Stockholm on the 20th of July 2022.

For different reasons I have never seen either Queen or Queen + but am really glad to finally do that.

That’s cool about the Queen show, but I can’t get over that they named an arena after a dj that killed himself.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #785 on: September 08, 2021, 04:11:18 PM »
Just for a bump....

If not for Mr. Mercury, my current wife and I would not have met 20+ years ago.  Happy commemoritive 75th to one of the best front men and entertainers of all time.  God Save The Queen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv4Hjvs0rEo

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #786 on: September 09, 2021, 01:57:29 PM »
Just for a bump....

If not for Mr. Mercury, my current wife and I would not have met 20+ years ago.  Happy commemoritive 75th to one of the best front men and entertainers of all time.  God Save The Queen!

the G.O.A.T.! :metal :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #787 on: September 09, 2021, 03:14:39 PM »
Just for a bump....

the G.O.A.T.! :metal :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #788 on: September 10, 2021, 07:46:58 AM »
This is going to come out wrong, because I certainly am not glad he passed, and I can only lament the great work that we all missed out on, but there's something about always remembering Freddie in that Live Aid phase.  It's such an iconic look, and I struggle to imagine what the Freddie of 2021 at age 75 would look like on stage with Queen.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #789 on: September 10, 2021, 07:53:27 AM »
This is going to come out wrong, because I certainly am not glad he passed, and I can only lament the great work that we all missed out on, but there's something about always remembering Freddie in that Live Aid phase.  It's such an iconic look, and I struggle to imagine what the Freddie of 2021 at age 75 would look like on stage with Queen.

Honestly, I can't imagine Freddie BEING on stage with Queen anymore. I feel like he would've just said screw it and eventually retired to an island somewhere.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #790 on: September 10, 2021, 08:00:11 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ym7X_wCsPQ

This just came out.

Rick Beato's What Makes This Song Great : Bohemian Rhapsody featuring contributions from Brian May. 38 minutes.  :tup

Quote from: Adami
Honestly, I can't imagine Freddie BEING on stage with Queen anymore. I feel like he would've just said screw it and eventually retired to an island somewhere.

The Show Must Go On. :hat

Thirdly I've always preferred Innuendo to Bo Rhap. Anyone else ?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #791 on: September 10, 2021, 08:05:48 AM »

Thirdly I've always preferred Innuendo to Bo Rhap. Anyone else ?

Me.  I love that song.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #792 on: September 10, 2021, 08:06:18 AM »
Innuendo is probably my favourite Queen song ever.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #793 on: September 10, 2021, 08:06:36 AM »
I think it has a similar structure plus I prefer it musically. I love Arabian kinda scales and stuff.

Me.  I love that song.

:tup :tup

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #794 on: September 10, 2021, 08:36:21 AM »
I like them both. Think Bohemian Rhapsody is a bit more unique and interesting to my ears, but Innuendo is a fantastic song too.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #795 on: September 10, 2021, 09:13:01 AM »

I even like Robert Plant's version (which he does not and doesn't allow to be officially released).

Offline Pettor

« Reply #796 on: September 10, 2021, 10:52:02 AM »
Rick Beato breaks down Bohemian Rhapsody in the latest episode of "What makes this song great" and interviews Brain May regarding the various sections 🙏

Such a great break down showcasing even more why this song is a special masterpiece. Just the chord structure itself is highly impressive yet alone doing the acapella / opera sections with the limitations of that time. Seeing Rick's expression of joy, awe and inspiration during the break down really is fantastic. Also sweet to see Brain's joy when Rick mention that Queen is still going strong with the younger generation.

https://youtu.be/3Ym7X_wCsPQ

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #797 on: September 10, 2021, 04:18:13 PM »
Quote from: KotowBoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ym7X_wCsPQ

This just came out.

Rick Beato's What Makes This Song Great : Bohemian Rhapsody featuring contributions from Brian May. 38 minutes.  :tup

I literally posted this above.

Quote from: Pettor
Also sweet to see Brain's joy when Rick mention that Queen is still going strong with the younger generation.

Yeah you can hear the cash register in his mind.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline Pettor

« Reply #798 on: September 10, 2021, 10:44:27 PM »
Damit, sorry. Just saw some Innuendo vs Bo Rhap posts and thought that was the current meta 😊

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #799 on: September 10, 2021, 11:08:55 PM »
Loving the praise for Innuendo here. I burned out on many of Queen's hits a long time ago, #1 being Bohemian Rhapsody. But Innuendo will always feel fresh and put me in a rocking mood.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #800 on: September 11, 2021, 02:31:48 AM »
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #801 on: September 11, 2021, 05:36:06 AM »
My favorite Queen song is It's Late. Not as complex as their other masterpieces but it really resonated with me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #802 on: September 11, 2021, 08:07:25 AM »
Rick Beato breaks down Bohemian Rhapsody in the latest episode of "What makes this song great" and interviews Brain May regarding the various sections 🙏

Such a great break down showcasing even more why this song is a special masterpiece. Just the chord structure itself is highly impressive yet alone doing the acapella / opera sections with the limitations of that time. Seeing Rick's expression of joy, awe and inspiration during the break down really is fantastic. Also sweet to see Brain's joy when Rick mention that Queen is still going strong with the younger generation.

https://youtu.be/3Ym7X_wCsPQ

Great stuff. That was highly enjoyable.  :coolio :coolio

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #803 on: September 11, 2021, 10:38:09 AM »
My favorite Queen song is It's Late. Not as complex as their other masterpieces but it really resonated with me.

"It's late" is an absolute TOP 5 for me:
1. Tie Your Mother Down
2. Liar
3. Now I'm Here
4. Ogre Battle
5. It's Late

Online nick_z

« Reply #804 on: September 11, 2021, 12:47:40 PM »
I like them both. Think Bohemian Rhapsody is a bit more unique and interesting to my ears, but Innuendo is a fantastic song too.

This is pretty much how I feel too. I'm not even a huge Queen fan, but I think Bohemian Rhapsody deserves all the acclaim it's got. It's a masterpiece, and it's so great that a song so wacky became such a popular hit. I love Innuendo too, and I always thought it was, along with the album as a whole, a fantastic final statement for Freddie in the band.