Author Topic: The Queen Thread  (Read 101928 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The Queen Thread
« Reply #735 on: November 16, 2018, 12:21:37 PM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #736 on: November 17, 2018, 05:39:54 AM »
This is so true:

Why is everybody lying about Bohemian Rhapsody?

:rollin

Very good video! And he is so right!
I mean I study with some people who have no interest in music whatsoever but when we hang out at my place and I put on Bohemian Rhapsody, EVERYONE goes "aww that's a very cool song" or maybe at least "my parents love this kind of music".
You don't have to be a huge music guy, but if you have never heard this song before, you have been living under a rock. And I am from Germany, where there's 98 percent shite on the radio, while in the States you still have some awesome radio stations.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #737 on: November 20, 2018, 12:52:01 AM »
This is so true:

.... And I am from Germany, where there's 98 percent shite on the radio ...

Off topic but amen to that. The few good songs on commercial radio are played to death and the rest is just shit. I can't listen to radio for more than a few minutes before I get angry  >:( :censored.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #738 on: November 20, 2018, 01:55:08 AM »
I thought metal was a big thing in Germany. Been a few years since I’ve been but I remember being there a few years ago and there were huge stands displays for a new Manowar album in a big mainstream record store. Something I’d never see in the U.K.

Thinking about this more, it was probably a longer time ago than I thought. I remember going in to the store to complete my Axel Rudi Pell album collection so it must’ve been before I had internet access to just get whatever I want online!

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #739 on: November 20, 2018, 03:09:16 AM »
Commercial german radio completely ignores everything that is heavier than Hotel California regardless of how successful it is.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #740 on: November 20, 2018, 04:21:39 AM »
This is so true:

I noticed the same. These videos are indeed absolute nonsense, unless they never listen to the radio and never see /hear commercials. Not to mention the endless stream of covers/edited versions/parodies.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #741 on: November 20, 2018, 06:55:18 AM »
Is it really beyond the realms of possibility that a young black person, for example, under the age of 20 who listens to Hip Hop, Rap music etc has never heard a 40 year old rock song?  It's a huge song no doubt, one of the biggest songs (if not the biggest) of all time but I doubt it gets played too often on your trendy mainstream radio stations.  Even in the UK, if I do hear it these days it's not on young people radio stations it's on stations that cater to 30+ year olds and play hits from the 70's, 80's and early 90's.

You would expect that people will absorb it by osmosis via tv, movies but it doesn't always work that way.  Look at how big a boost it got when it was played in Wayne's World and suddenly rocketed back up the charts.  I'm assuming some of that was due to people who'd never heard it before that movie and that was when the song was only 17 years old and Freddie had only died the year before so it was all over tv and radio.  It's been brought to the fore again now due to the Queen movie and the fact that there are a lot of youtube channels featuring non-rock fans reacting to rock songs.

Not saying that there are not some people who are taking the piss but I can believe that there are some people who have never heard the song.  I'm sure there are huge classic rap songs from Public Enemy, NWO etc that I have never heard as I have never explored that genre of music.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #742 on: November 20, 2018, 07:17:38 AM »
Is it really beyond the realms of possibility that a young black person, for example, under the age of 20 who listens to Hip Hop, Rap music etc has never heard a 40 year old rock song?  It's a huge song no doubt, one of the biggest songs (if not the biggest) of all time but I doubt it gets played too often on your trendy mainstream radio stations.  Even in the UK, if I do hear it these days it's not on young people radio stations it's on stations that cater to 30+ year olds and play hits from the 70's, 80's and early 90's.

You would expect that people will absorb it by osmosis via tv, movies but it doesn't always work that way.  Look at how big a boost it got when it was played in Wayne's World and suddenly rocketed back up the charts.  I'm assuming some of that was due to people who'd never heard it before that movie and that was when the song was only 17 years old and Freddie had only died the year before so it was all over tv and radio.  It's been brought to the fore again now due to the Queen movie and the fact that there are a lot of youtube channels featuring non-rock fans reacting to rock songs.

Not saying that there are not some people who are taking the piss but I can believe that there are some people who have never heard the song.  I'm sure there are huge classic rap songs from Public Enemy, NWO etc that I have never heard as I have never explored that genre of music.
Yea sure but we're not talking about a few people:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=queen+bohemian+rhapsody+reaction

Sidenote, that Joey React dude has never heard music.  :lol but maybe I don't understand the whole reaction movement tough.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #743 on: November 20, 2018, 09:09:40 AM »

The woman that cuts my hair - wonderful woman, 30's, married, two kids - had no idea what "Stairway To Heaven" was when I was telling her about a dance my daughter went to.  I played it for her, and... nope, nothing.   She absolutely does not live under a rock, she just grew up with a different dose of music.

And I'm sorry, I know I'm showing my age, but when I'm out at a bar, and I have a bright idea, my first thought is not to run home and put a video on the interwebs.   Not even top ten.    Not top 100.  Whatever.   

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #744 on: November 20, 2018, 09:48:07 AM »

It is not unbelievable that there are people that have not heard of Queen or Bohemian Rhapsody in particular. It is, however, unbelievable to me that there are so many people that have reaction channels with thousands of subscribers all haven't heard Queen. My feed is currently filled with them at least. In general, these channels have a lot of "first time" reactions for huge artists, and not just old rock bands.

Some are likely genuine, and to be fair I don't live in the USA. But the past 5 years or so over here it was used in three mainstream commercials (on tv and radio), it is almost every year voted song of the year or close to it, is broadcasted on radio very frequently, used in comedy sketches, used in film soundtracks, covered and regularly performed by a variety of well known artists, and that is only this song. Songs like We Will Rock You and We are The Champions are used just as much (in sports) and to not know Queen seems very rare. Especially when you are a content creator focused on reacting to music/pop culture and engaged with internet culture.

Furthermore, it is a youtube trend and I have little faith in the genuinity of many youtubers, as many people want to join a trend that gives them more exposure (understandably). And you will often see that many of the smaller reaction channels listen to the same songs as the popular ones. "Dutch Hip Hop" was a trend a year back or so, for example.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 10:30:36 AM by ErHaO »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #745 on: November 20, 2018, 11:34:41 AM »
It is easy to know a song without knowing what it is called, who sings, it, or even what the lyrics are.

Every single cover bad I have seen in the past 5 years plays a song that I recognize in 30 seconds, though couldn't have told you anything about it other than one word in the chorus is "moooooooooooooooves" with an annoying whistle in the background. I just found out recently it is Maroon 5, as I did a little research about them when the Super Bowl announcement dropped.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #746 on: November 21, 2018, 01:21:01 AM »
Some are likely genuine

Yeah, but I'm not buying the white dude claiming he's not even sure how to pronounce "Queen" as if it's a name plucked from an obscure sci-fi novel  :loser:

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #747 on: November 22, 2018, 04:55:32 AM »
A little bit of nonsense (to quote Brian from 'Live Killers')

https://www.facebook.com/AmazingMusiciansPage/videos/301278477262331/
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #748 on: December 02, 2018, 09:20:07 PM »
Another two weeks pass....another two dozen people that I bump into...another two dozen excuses that I have to make to them and say that I 'enjoyed' the movie.

gawd...I am tired of making excuses for what the 'band' has released in the last three decades.

It would not have hurt to have released a 'correct' movie.  People loved the band, people are learning to love the band...just wish they had done it more truthfully.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 01:07:41 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #749 on: December 03, 2018, 05:37:39 PM »
Another two weeks pass....another two dozen people that I bump into...another two dozen excuses that I have to make to them and say that I 'enjoyed' the movie.

gawd...I am tired of making excuses for what the 'band' has released in the last three decades.

It would not have hurt to have released a 'correct' movie.  People loved the band, people are learning to love the band...just wish they had done it more truthfully.

Had dinner with a few friends a few weeks back and they both saw it and suggested it to me and said it was good.  I told them I was glad that they liked it, but I had no interest in seeing something like that and said why in a general way. (I didn't think an itemized list of specific reasons was the way to go here.)

But then these two friends also went to see Queen with Paul Rodgers and the other guy who's name escapes me. I've never seen Queen because I just wasn't a big enough fan until Innuendo so I'm of the opinion that my window effectively closed. That's just the way I see it. Doesn't mean I can't enjoy the music.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #750 on: December 04, 2018, 07:34:12 AM »

Had dinner with a few friends a few weeks back and they both saw it and suggested it to me and said it was good.  I told them I was glad that they liked it, but I had no interest in seeing something like that and said why in a general way. (I didn't think an itemized list of specific reasons was the way to go here.)

But then these two friends also went to see Queen with Paul Rodgers and the other guy who's name escapes me. I've never seen Queen because I just wasn't a big enough fan until Innuendo so I'm of the opinion that my window effectively closed. That's just the way I see it. Doesn't mean I can't enjoy the music.

Substitute "A Kind Of Magic" and I'm sort of right there with you.  And it's not like it's the new guys; Paul Rodgers is one of my top five favorite vocalists of all time.  I LOVE that guy, and while I don't love Adam Lambert (the other guy) he doesn't suck.  I just have no desire to see that.  (Though having written that, I may go at some point to see the stage setup, if my daughter wants to see it.)

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #751 on: December 22, 2018, 03:37:19 AM »
With Winter Solstice here, just thought I'd suggest one of my favorite seasonal tunes.  One of my top five Brian guitar tracks

A Winter's Tale  (Freddie's last written song)   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjWQZBmJf6M

always good to follow up with

Thank God It's Christmas    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu3uA8K6ApQ

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #752 on: March 05, 2019, 07:27:07 PM »
In the news, the fired EX director Bryan Singer (shame all the news outlets didn't include that)

FOUR Academy Awards (deservedly NOT winning for Best Picture.

And then, there's this

https://www.billboard.com/charts/top-album-sales   for the week of March 9th

1. A Star Is Born
 2. This Land - Gary Clark, Jr
 3. Bohemian Rhapsody
 4. Harvard Dropout - Lil Pump
 5. Distance Over Time - Dream Theater

Last time I owned two Top Ten albums at the same time was probably in the 90s with Van Halen and REM.

And, yes, the current ones are the #3 and #5 LPs (what a great return to form for DT)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 09:07:53 AM by DragonAttack »

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #753 on: March 06, 2019, 08:24:46 AM »
I feel like I want to own a record by a dude (dudette?) named "Lil Pump".  :)

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #754 on: May 09, 2019, 09:32:17 AM »
Not sure if you guys care, but I pre-ordered this special bluray : WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS FINAL LIVE IN JAPAN  :hat

IIRC, this show was only released on VHS back in the day, and perhaps on LD only.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B07PFRTBN2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Setzer

• Queensrÿche Aficionado
« Reply #755 on: June 01, 2019, 09:44:24 AM »
Not sure if you guys care, but I pre-ordered this special bluray : WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS FINAL LIVE IN JAPAN  :hat

IIRC, this show was only released on VHS back in the day, and perhaps on LD only.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B07PFRTBN2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
DVD in Japan in 2006 too.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #756 on: July 12, 2019, 07:07:33 PM »
https://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/entertainment/queen-rock-album-and-song-sales

Published Jun 29, 2019

LOS ANGELES • British rock band Queen sold more albums in North America than any other artist in the first half of this year as music featured in movies and television sent streaming and downloads soaring.

A mid-year report by Nielsen Music released on Thursday said the soundtrack to the musical Bohemian Rhapsody (2018), which won four Oscars in February, was the best-selling rock title of the first six months of this year, with Queen's Greatest Hits 1 compilation coming in second.

The band sold more than 731,000 albums as well as the most digital songs, with more than 1.3 million downloads, Nielsen said.

In February, Queen became the first rock band to open the Oscars when they kicked off the annual ceremony in Hollywood with a live performance of We Will Rock You and We Are The Champions.

Lady Gaga and actor-director Bradley Cooper's steamy performance on the Oscars stage, of their winning duet Shallow from A Star Is Born (2018), also sent sales soaring. The romantic ballad has seen some 648,000 digital song downloads so far this year, the report said.

The Elton John biopic, Rocketman (2019), fuelled a 138 per cent gain in album sales for the British singer-songwriter in the first week after the movie's release on May 31

Offline faizoff

« Reply #757 on: July 13, 2019, 06:08:28 PM »

I was reading the two reviews on Amazon.com for this release and it appears this may not be an official release sanctioned by Queen.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #758 on: March 06, 2020, 01:44:42 PM »
From Queen's facebook

Queen + Adam Lambert's Fire Fight Australia Live Aid Full Performance!
For The First Time In Its History, Queen, Fronted By Singer Adam Lambert, performed the Band’s Iconic 1985 Live Aid Set for Fire Fight Australia Benefit Concert!

Queen performed in full its original 22 minute Live Aid set. The six-song set includes Bohemian Rhapsody, Radio Ga Ga, Hammer To Fall, Crazy Little Thing Called Love, We Will Rock You and We Are The Champions, and is widely regarded as one of the greatest live performances of all time!

Watch the Full Video Now > https://youtu.be/SAqp6YJWIUU

Fans can donate at anytime at: https://firefightaustralia.com/

There was a rip of the concert on youtube I watched bits of after it aired on TV, but this is polished version of that set.  Really awesome

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #759 on: March 06, 2020, 01:54:06 PM »
Adam Lambert has just an unhuman voice. For a while I was upset he didn't sound anything like Freddie.

Then it made sense. I'm glad they didn't get a Freddie clone. It would've cheapened the band and not ended up with a positive outlook for the band. Glad he brings his own unique voice to it and doesn't try to be the next Freddie. That said his voice...jesus. He doesn't seem to even put in a little effort and nails everything perfectly technically.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #760 on: March 06, 2020, 02:07:57 PM »
The dude has pipes, no question.  A little too tremelo-y for my tastes (that was one of the things I loved about Freddie, is that he didn't do that a lot, and when he did it was a wider tremolo).   Purely my taste, though; the guy nailed that performance, and presenting such an iconic set like that took balls. 

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #761 on: March 07, 2020, 03:43:29 AM »
Adam Lambert has just an unhuman voice. For a while I was upset he didn't sound anything like Freddie.

Then it made sense. I'm glad they didn't get a Freddie clone. It would've cheapened the band and not ended up with a positive outlook for the band. Glad he brings his own unique voice to it and doesn't try to be the next Freddie. That said his voice...jesus. He doesn't seem to even put in a little effort and nails everything perfectly technically.

Thank you!!! I don't understand why people are hating on him so much. Queen just didn't make the same mistake as Yes.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #762 on: March 07, 2020, 03:05:49 PM »
Yeah, Adam Lambert is one hell of a singer. He nails all of those songs so effortlessly, and Queen songs are not easy to sing in the first place. Fantastic match for the band and that show is awesome.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #763 on: March 08, 2020, 09:48:22 PM »
Yeah, Adam Lambert is one hell of a singer. He nails all of those songs so effortlessly, and Queen songs are not easy to sing in the first place. Fantastic match for the band and that show is awesome.

Agree. I attended there show in Sept 2016, and the one thing I remember the most was how Adam sung "Who Wants To Live Forever" so effortlessly. I was literally like...  :hefdaddy  :hefdaddy  :hefdaddy
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #764 on: March 09, 2020, 01:29:12 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAqp6YJWIUU&t=422s

I wanted to share this here, since I think it's an absolutely incredible performance. Adam is unreal.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #765 on: March 09, 2020, 11:38:06 AM »

I wanted to share this here, since I think it's an absolutely incredible performance. Adam is unreal.

Cram posted this already 3 days ago.

Adam Lambert has shown he's the right and only one that can take Freddys' reign.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #766 on: March 09, 2020, 03:35:38 PM »

Cram posted this already 3 days ago.

Adam Lambert has shown he's the right and only one that can take Freddys' reign.

Oh sorry, totally overlooked that! Well, a performance like this deserves to be posted twice  :biggrin:

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #767 on: September 04, 2020, 03:19:47 PM »
Well, the ol' Queen would have turned 74 on Saturday.

'Bohemian Rhapsody' from Wembley '86 (not the official release).  Nice to not have the music video placed over the operatic part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8uPIquE5Oo

Thank you, Freddie.  You brought me and my wife together two decades ago.

And....being totally partial.....there is no better song performed live.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #768 on: November 14, 2020, 08:02:02 AM »
Been in a Queen mood/mode lately.   I just watched Queen Rock Montreal.   Man, I wish I could have seen them in full flight.   Even on video, the power of the closing section of Bohemian Rhapsody seems a sight to behold.    I just love Freddie's voice (yeah, I know, hot take that one!). But he made it sound so easy, and even when he was off, it was still really good.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #769 on: November 14, 2020, 02:27:59 PM »
Rock Montreal kind of got me into music. I was chilling by my TV, minding my own business, when a local TV station played about half of it. Somewhere in between Roger singing lead on I'm In Love With My Car and Brian sitting down to play the piano on Save Me, I went from a kid who casually likes Queen and rock music in general to the obsessed beast I am to this day.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise