Author Topic: The Queen Thread  (Read 101869 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The Queen Thread
« Reply #665 on: February 26, 2018, 08:29:04 AM »
(Stadler.....some day I'll have to try my hand at a Queen discography thread such as the Qryche and Iron Maiden ones....bars that have been set incredibly high.....)

There was 'Queen at the Beeb' (or at the BBC, depending on which side of the pond one resides) released in '89 just before 'Innuendo'.
It only had eight songs.

Meanwhile, 'On Air' .....   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_Air_(Queen_album) ....has all six sessions. 

The absolute best 'bang for the buck' is to purchase the 2 CD release (2016).  Why we had to wait so long for the complete release is beyond me (some tracks are available on the 2011 bonus remasters for the respective albums). 

Sadly, the Golders Green Hippodrome '73 concert, which makes up most of Disc Three, is lacking 'See What A Fool I've Been, the entire 'Jailhouse Rock' medley, and 'Big Spender.  This makes purchasing the six CD box set a waste of money.  Why they included live tracks from '81 and '86 is beyond me and any fan of the era.  A shame this was not a THREE CD release. 

All of the Golders Green performances are available on bootlegs and youtube, so it's well worth the hunt to look them up and download the tracks for the correct order.  For anyone that doesn't know, the studio and live versions of SWAFIB are immensely different...'camp' versus 'blues'. 

Mentioned before, but expanding....BOTH versions of 'Son and Daughter' (post-Blag, pre Brighton Rock) are worth the purchase.  As well as the 4th BBC version of 'Modern Times Rock 'n Roll, and both 'Liar's...and.....well,,'we have lift off!'

I scored a copy of the 6-disk set for the price of the two-CD set (it was missing some of the sleeves, I bought it, and the guy wrote me after I paid and said the person HE bought it from sent him the sleeves under separate cover, a deal's a deal, and that he would include them).   I haven't listened yet, but I'm doing some driving in the next few weeks and I'll be listening then. 

I like the live version of SWAFIB a lot, actually. 

And no, I have not heard Dan's '75 Kiss show.  That was a real sweet spot for them.  The '75 show from Winterland is just incendiary. 

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #666 on: May 11, 2018, 01:04:35 PM »
Queen + AL to play Vegas in September

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2018/may/07/queen-adam-lambert-park-theater/

Guns n Roses, Rod Stewart, Motley Crue, Santana, Def Leppard, Prince, Elton John, oh, and KISS....the list is quite endless as to acts that have played Vegas for long term stints (Celine Dion for four years). The 'stigma' has long since passed.

There will be those that will visit and go to numerous shows. We'd probably do the same if it was next spring (we have friends who go there every April, and have joined them a couple of times).  Lots to see and do in Vegas, and nearby as well. The Grand Canyon, only four hours distance, is great place to go on a 'day off'.  Prices are a bit high, but, name a show that's inexpensive in the land of the golden nights (Knights?)

Rather than the constant traveling during a tour, I'd do the same if I was in their shoes. Why the hell not?
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #667 on: May 11, 2018, 01:07:55 PM »
  Lots to see and do in Vegas, and nearby as well. The Grand Canyon, only four hours distance, is great place to go on a 'day off'. 

We have been to Las Vegas twice, and the best part of going is doing stuff outside of the city.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #668 on: May 11, 2018, 01:28:36 PM »
Did anybody else see this regarding the upcoming Bohemian Rhapsody biopic about Queen?  Amazing.

Rami Malek (Freddie Mercury) and Gwilym Lee (Brian May) in “Bohemian Rhapsody”

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #669 on: May 11, 2018, 02:33:53 PM »
I’m excited to see the movie although a little less so since sasha baron Cohen left

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #670 on: May 14, 2018, 06:34:42 AM »
That LOOKS great, but Brian and Roger have kind of shown in recent years that they live in a bubble.  A movie coming out of that bubble isn't  really going to be all that interesting for me, once the novelty of seeing them recreated in live action wears off.   As I understand it, the big beef with SB-C and the Queen camp is that they (the latter) wanted the story to end after Live Aid (I think it was Live Aid).  That kind of misses a big chunk of the story. 

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #671 on: May 14, 2018, 07:17:09 AM »
that's what Sacha said, BM denied this. And we all know now the film ends with their Live Aid concert. So...?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #672 on: May 14, 2018, 07:49:49 AM »
Brian May... lied?

"He's a dirty fibber, Captain!"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #673 on: May 14, 2018, 07:54:18 AM »
Brian May... lied?

"Lie" is such a strong word.  I just think Brian lives in his own world, and he has for quite some time.  One might even say he always has.    It's not a knock, and it's not a real stretch.   But it does result in a sort of saccharine approach to the catalogue and legacy that is "Queen". 

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #674 on: May 14, 2018, 08:13:27 AM »
While I don’t know what the final movie will be it really would be a shame if it ended at live aid. So much happened after that.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #675 on: May 14, 2018, 10:13:59 AM »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #676 on: May 14, 2018, 10:27:41 AM »
I might watch the flick someday if I get really bored, but in general I can't get behind any film that purports to tell "the real story" or "the whole story" but stops at a certain point, especially if that point was several decades ago and much has happened since then, most of which is well-documented.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #677 on: May 14, 2018, 12:45:11 PM »
Brian May... lied?

"Lie" is such a strong word.
Explain it away however you want Stads, but the reality is one person was telling the truth and the other was not. The one who was not lied, plain and simple. And really, when you think about it, he was putting SBC in a bad light as if he were the liar.

And I agree with the sentiments of others - if it's not gonna tell the whole story, I'm not really going to be interested in seeing this.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #678 on: May 14, 2018, 12:50:08 PM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #679 on: May 14, 2018, 02:08:18 PM »
Brian May... lied?

"Lie" is such a strong word.
Explain it away however you want Stads, but the reality is one person was telling the truth and the other was not. The one who was not lied, plain and simple. And really, when you think about it, he was putting SBC in a bad light as if he were the liar.

And I agree with the sentiments of others - if it's not gonna tell the whole story, I'm not really going to be interested in seeing this.

No, I'm with you.  I agree.   I just think Brian is more harmless than duplicitous.  Sort of a modern day Michael Jackson more than a... Vince Neil.  If that makes any sense.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #680 on: May 15, 2018, 01:39:02 PM »
This talk about SBC not being in the movie moved me to do a little digging, and I haven't found anything quoting SBC as saying that they wanted the movie to end at Live Aid, whereas SBC wanted to show Freddie's whole life. But it seems the biggest issue that SBC had was not including all the "dirt" - Freddie's wild lifestyle in full - in the film; that the band wanted to keep it "PG".

As for what was to be in the film and what was to be excluded, I thought this was interesting:
The comedian and actor said: “A member of the band – I won’t say who – said: ‘You know, this is such a great movie because it’s got such an amazing thing that happens in the middle.’”

“And I go: ‘What happens in the middle of the movie?’ He goes: ‘You know, Freddie dies.’ ... I go: ‘What happens in the second half of the movie?’ He goes: ‘We see how the band carries on from strength to strength.’

“I said: ‘Listen, not one person is going to see a movie where the lead character dies from Aids and then you see how the band carries on.’

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/mar/09/sacha-baron-cohen-freddie-mercury-biopic-queen

So it appears that Live Aid was not supposed to be the ending point at all. I'd be curious as to when the band changed their idea and recognized that no one really cared about what happened after he died.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Schurftkut

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #682 on: May 15, 2018, 04:40:13 PM »
So the scope of the movie seems to have changed.  If Freddie was to have died in the "middle" and the rest of the film was about how the band carried on, then the movie was originally about Queen the band.  Now Brian is saying that the movie is about Freddie.

Still, Freddie didn't die the day after Live Aid.  Live Aid was not "the end" of the story.  He lived another 6.5 years, and both he and Queen continued to work.  Granted, Live Aid was a huge high point, but it now seems more about ending on a happy note than giving "the full story".

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #683 on: May 15, 2018, 04:46:54 PM »
I haven't been following this at all, I only knew there was a movie in the works (and it took me a long to figure out who SBC is). So what if the movie's scope is doesn't detail Freddie's entire life? Bio-Pics rarely do. It changes the narrative, but they are wanting to tell a story, not create the film version of Freddie's wikipedia page.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #684 on: May 16, 2018, 09:17:06 AM »
This talk about SBC not being in the movie moved me to do a little digging, and I haven't found anything quoting SBC as saying that they wanted the movie to end at Live Aid, whereas SBC wanted to show Freddie's whole life. But it seems the biggest issue that SBC had was not including all the "dirt" - Freddie's wild lifestyle in full - in the film; that the band wanted to keep it "PG".

As for what was to be in the film and what was to be excluded, I thought this was interesting:
The comedian and actor said: “A member of the band – I won’t say who – said: ‘You know, this is such a great movie because it’s got such an amazing thing that happens in the middle.’”

“And I go: ‘What happens in the middle of the movie?’ He goes: ‘You know, Freddie dies.’ ... I go: ‘What happens in the second half of the movie?’ He goes: ‘We see how the band carries on from strength to strength.’

“I said: ‘Listen, not one person is going to see a movie where the lead character dies from Aids and then you see how the band carries on.’

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/mar/09/sacha-baron-cohen-freddie-mercury-biopic-queen

So it appears that Live Aid was not supposed to be the ending point at all. I'd be curious as to when the band changed their idea and recognized that no one really cared about what happened after he died.

You know, I have to cop to this.    SBC was on Stern about a year ago, and they talked at length about this.   I would have said - I think I said in this thread - that "the band wanted to end it at Live Aid" and that was my impression.  But that exchange above was had - if not that one then one like it - on that Stern interview as well, now that I think about it.   So I don't know where the change happened, but I remember hearing both points in that interview.  I don't know if he was talking about the evolution of the story, or if I'm just confused, but I DO remember both points being made. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #685 on: May 16, 2018, 09:27:01 AM »
Still, why Live Aid and not Wembley '86? ok, Live Aid was an historical performance, but there was an album and successful world tour after that. If you want to end on a high note rather than reminding of how Freddie went, just include the last world tour I'd say.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #686 on: May 21, 2018, 07:03:19 AM »
I'm sorry to inform you that Great King Rat died today.
He was born on the twenty first of May.
Died syphilis forty four on his birthday.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #687 on: May 21, 2018, 05:53:20 PM »

:metal

Such a great song!  That and Liar are the two of their best deep cuts of the 70's.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #688 on: May 21, 2018, 07:02:53 PM »
I have mixed feelings about this film. As a fan of the music, I'm sure this will be a great film. The teaser trailer sounded great, and everyone looked and seemed to act the part well enough, but the near-erasure of Freddie's homosexuality and his fight with AIDS being absent from the film seems to take away from a huge part of what his life and legacy are. A lot of Queen fans are pretty upset that they (i.e., Brian May and the rest of the band) are choosing to omit these parts of Freddie's life from the film when they seem to be touting this as a Freddie-focused Queen biopic.

I'm torn, as I'd like to see it, maybe not in theaters, but it does feel unfair to leave out those parts of Freddie's life, especially when he means a lot to people in the LGBT community, and to those who have fought or known others who have fought against AIDS. At best, I'll wait and see what the reviews are when it's closer to release date. If anything, this film should renew interest in Queen music, so I expect more exploitation of their back catalog going forth.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #689 on: May 21, 2018, 07:56:55 PM »
I have mixed feelings about this film. As a fan of the music, I'm sure this will be a great film. The teaser trailer sounded great, and everyone looked and seemed to act the part well enough, but the near-erasure of Freddie's homosexuality and his fight with AIDS being absent from the film seems to take away from a huge part of what his life and legacy are. A lot of Queen fans are pretty upset that they (i.e., Brian May and the rest of the band) are choosing to omit these parts of Freddie's life from the film when they seem to be touting this as a Freddie-focused Queen biopic.

I'm torn, as I'd like to see it, maybe not in theaters, but it does feel unfair to leave out those parts of Freddie's life, especially when he means a lot to people in the LGBT community, and to those who have fought or known others who have fought against AIDS. At best, I'll wait and see what the reviews are when it's closer to release date. If anything, this film should renew interest in Queen music, so I expect more exploitation of their back catalog going forth.

-Marc.

I was just reading a recent article about the upcoming movie and I'm a little confused about what this movie will entail. They (Brian May?) wanted a "family friendly" version but I don't see why that would have to exclude Mercury being gay or bi or whatever. Every Queen fan already knows about that and it doesn't "offend" us so I don't see why they would exclude that from the movie. The article quotes Bryan Singer (who's no longer the director) saying the movie won't be a traditional biopic. I do not know what that means.

The article said Mercury's death will be addressed but the movie follows the band until Live Aid?

https://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/bohemian-rhapsody-queen-movie-news-cast-trailer/

DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #690 on: May 21, 2018, 08:14:17 PM »
First of all, is that the best name they could come up with?

Not following this at all, and not very knowledgeable about Queen's history, but I had a thought. The story of Freddie's disease, final years, and ultimate passing are well known and well documented. Perhaps the guys felt that as such this narrative might not be as compelling as one that told of their earlier career. Not a judgment, just a thought.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #691 on: May 21, 2018, 10:14:17 PM »
First of all, is that the best name they could come up with?

Not following this at all, and not very knowledgeable about Queen's history, but I had a thought. The story of Freddie's disease, final years, and ultimate passing are well known and well documented. Perhaps the guys felt that as such this narrative might not be as compelling as one that told of their earlier career. Not a judgment, just a thought.

Good point. The same thing was done with Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #692 on: May 22, 2018, 01:05:32 AM »

Such a great song!  That and Liar are the two of their best deep cuts of the 70's.

I consider the entirety of Queen II as a deep cut from the '70s  :lol but yeah, Great King Rat is indeed a great song. I've heard it yesterday, in homage to the character, and hearing it after a big while since I last heard it sounded fresh and brilliant. From the very first album they showed they could come up with intricate song structures that would culminate in the song that gave the title to the movie that's being discussed now.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #693 on: May 22, 2018, 11:54:20 AM »

I consider the entirety of Queen II as a deep cut from the '70s  :lol but yeah, Great King Rat is indeed a great song. I've heard it yesterday, in homage to the character, and hearing it after a big while since I last heard it sounded fresh and brilliant. From the very first album they showed they could come up with intricate song structures that would culminate in the song that gave the title to the movie that's being discussed now.

Which character is The Great King Rat based on?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #694 on: May 22, 2018, 12:13:45 PM »
I really don't know. Possibly it's all part of the fantasy world of Rhye that Freddie created.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #695 on: October 14, 2018, 08:51:55 AM »
I'll start this post by including a teaser that it does contain Iron Maiden related content further down....

Those in our little Queen-dom are much aware of the recent passing of Montserrat Caballe last week
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montserrat_Caball%C3%A9

I never heard of her or the 1987 'Barcelona' album with Freddie until a good year or so after his death, and that was only because I happened to come across the CD at my local 'record' store.  An acquired taste to be sure, but the title track's extended version is one of OUR absolute all time favorites (too much of a backstory and emotions to go into here).  Do try and give that one a complete listen or two.

Barcelona 45 version     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDhVPLXYxeU

the 'live' video version w/Freddie and Montserret     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPG5DP2RQZk

Barcelona album version     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8Eg-mWdDLc

Barcelona extended version     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P24kWCn5tTk

I loved a comment by one of the posters on a Queen forum:  only two personalities as bombastic as Freddie and Montserret could have pulled this off and made it work. 

The below video is from the statue unveiling of Freddie in Montreux a few years after his passing  (Ms. Caballe' with the dark hair along with Freddie's mum)      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxwcVx8NCKI

Here's one for the Iron Maiden fans……from her 'Friends For Life' LP in '97...Ms. Caballe and Bruce Dickinson doing 'Bo Rhap'.  Give it a try.  It's 'different', and I don't care for 99% of Beatles and Queen covers, but we enjoyed it.   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAXHmAOPvrw

As to the upcoming movie:  we are 'reserved' in our feelings towards it.  Not expecting it to be great, but we do want it done as 'correct' as possible.  Anyway……having seen a recent trailer, with views from behind 'Freddie' as he's ready to enter Wembley Stadium for 'Live Aid',  gave us goosebumps x1000. 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 10:00:54 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #696 on: October 15, 2018, 02:41:15 AM »
I have mixed feelings about this film. As a fan of the music, I'm sure this will be a great film. The teaser trailer sounded great, and everyone looked and seemed to act the part well enough, but the near-erasure of Freddie's homosexuality and his fight with AIDS being absent from the film seems to take away from a huge part of what his life and legacy are.

The trailer I saw last night, which I presume is new as I'd not seen before, makes it fairly clear his homosexuality will feature.

I've watched too many documentaries on Queen to not get irked by the use of dramatic license (like Brian May didn't know the opera section was coming when he recorded the solo... they've just transplanted the line from someone who won't be in the film to Brian) but from that new trailer it's starting to look like a film worth seeing.

However, I don't like what I've seen of the portrayal of Roger Taylor so far.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #697 on: October 15, 2018, 03:30:00 AM »
Yeah, it looks like the other bandmembers, especially Taylor and Deacon seem to be particularly marginalized in the bits I've seen so far. This seems to happen with every major bandmovie I've seen lately. Look at the Runaways, where Joan and Cheri are featured and portrayed pretty accurate, while Lita's been portrayed as the bitch, and Jackie Fox is just someone who is barely even present, just some figure in the background. It seems movies always need to caricaturize the members to appeal to a wider audience. As I real Queen fan, I'd be livid is this is to be the case. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #698 on: October 15, 2018, 07:40:16 AM »
I won't get too worked up over a trailer; I mean, it's cool to see how they look and/or sound (man, that guy sounds EXACTLY like Brian May, it's creepy) but I can't believe Roger is going to be thrown under the bus in this (at least not willingly).  He's been a part of almost all the Queen goings-on since Freddie's passing, so I find it hard to believe that he just now becomes a villain. 

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #699 on: October 15, 2018, 08:13:15 AM »
It's not surprising John Deacon's been marginalised, at least in the trailers thus far - he was the band's secret weapon... with the emphasis firmly on secret. The casual fan may remember his spectacular hair in the Radio Ga-Ga video but not a lot else.

Otherwise, from what I've seen so far they've pretty much nailed Brian, have made a damn good stab at Freddie, but have made Roger out to be a rather more coarse and arsey personality than he's ever appeared to be.

Still, this is from cherry picked moments in trailers so I guess we'll see.