Author Topic: The Queen Thread  (Read 101944 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Queen Thread
« Reply #595 on: January 30, 2017, 05:46:34 AM »
Nothing close to me which is a shame. I would've loved seeing the show.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #596 on: January 30, 2017, 06:12:30 PM »
No STL show. Damn.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #597 on: March 08, 2017, 10:41:47 PM »
Another 'new' Queen concert just uncovered.  This one is the first of two nights from Detroit's Cobo Hall, November 18,1977 during their 'News of the World' tour.  It does not include their final encore of 'Sheer Heart Attack/Jailhouse Rock' and the taped 'God Save The Queen' (on this tour, 'We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions' was the first encore).  There's an occasional hiccup here and there on the tape, (and a major one by Freddie during WATC...guarantee that no one there noticed), but it is an absolutely excellent audience recording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9fr077Yl0U (modified 3/12.....a much better 'unchopped' version)

the story behind the discovery of the concert
https://www.queenzone.com/forums/1465467/1977-11-18-detroit-uncirculated-master-transfer-on-dime.aspx?page=1

Freddie is in great form this night.   Highlights of note:  'Somebody To Love', 'I'm In Love With My Car' (FM sings a couple of BVs), 'My Melancholy Blues', 'Spread Your Wings', and 'Liar'.  Odd to hear the acoustic 'Love of My Life' without audience participation, as the sing along aspect had not yet started.  The 'Vocal Improv' is interesting or annoying, depending on the listener.

A great finish from 1:26:30 onward with 'Keep Yourself Alive', 'Bohemian Rhapsody' (starting at 1:31:20), 'Tie Your Mother Down' (from concert opener during the 'Races' tour to concert proper closer), and the encores.  Loved the crowd reaction during the taped middle of BoRhap, as people react to the changing intensity of the lights, not knowing how that part is supposed to play out.  And then the crowd noise drowns out the music when the band reappears. 

(I saw six Queen tours, but not this one.  I watched Central Michigan finish off a 10-1 season by beating archrival Western in football on Saturday.  I had to choose one or the other.  Maybe that's why their show the following year in Kalamazoo remains the best concert I've ever attended).
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 10:07:52 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #598 on: March 09, 2017, 08:21:42 AM »
Regarding the US tour, while they play in Boston, I doubt I will dish out the money to see them. Last time they came around I looked at the prices, and it just was too much for to see what to me skirts the definition of "Queen Cover Band".
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #599 on: March 11, 2017, 08:44:49 AM »
Regarding the US tour, while they play in Boston, I doubt I will dish out the money to see them. Last time they came around I looked at the prices, and it just was too much for to see what to me skirts the definition of "Queen Cover Band".

I can't stop you from thinking this is the just the "Queen Cover Band", like you put it... but I can tell you Adam Lambert can definitely sing and carry the show! Plus, this could be, god forbids, one of the final times we get to the Brian May and Roger Taylor live! I truly enjoyed my experience last Sept here in Hong Kong.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #600 on: May 08, 2017, 10:30:03 PM »
bump.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1727824/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_1

just saw Rami Malek,  the lead actor from USA Network's show "Mr. Robot" on Stephen Colbert. And I know it's kind of old news (November), but they talked about him starring as Freddie Mercury in "Bohemian Rhapsody" the Freddie biopic; the one that Sacha Baron Cohen was attached-to for a long time, but ultimately dismissed.

I honestly am not all that crazy about this casting, really, not any more than Sacha Baron Cohen. I suppose his height might be closer to Freddie's (SBC was WAY too tall), but he doesn't look all that much like Freddie (loosely, his dimples and facial expressions I guess I can see); I guess once they show some production pics, maybe that could help.

But I'm still skeptical as I don't find Rami Malek all that amazing in the clips I've seen from Mr.Robot and some of his other work (Short Term 12, I honestly didn't find his character all that memorable in just revisiting some clips online).

Offline wrighty

« Reply #601 on: May 09, 2017, 05:05:27 PM »
Just caught this thread, and as a newbie I've not read it all - it's been going for years!

Been a huge fan of Queen all my life really - I'm about as old as the band, and was 5 when Bohemian Rhapsody hit the big time in the UK.  Never saw them live with Freddie, but did go to the tribute concert in 1992 just after he died.

Best albums for me are the first 6, especially Night at the Opera and Day at the Races.  There have been others, and many other songs. Brian May is a genius - compared with someone like JP his technical ability is limited, but all guitarists revere him for his sound, his innovation and his style.

I saw them live with Adam Lambert a couple of years ago - outstanding.  See them if you can, particularly if you haven't done so before.  Just be mindful that Roger and Brian are now approaching 70 years of age, so comparisons with earlier performances may not be flattering.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #602 on: May 09, 2017, 05:57:46 PM »
Brian May is a genius - compared with someone like JP his technical ability is limited, but all guitarists revere him for his sound, his innovation and his style.

From a songwriting, guitar playing and innovative collective standpoint, Brian May takes a backseat to no one.  He can do it all.  He has done it all.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #603 on: May 09, 2017, 06:24:40 PM »

I don't understand this.  Dream Theater has only 2 original members or 3 from the "classic lineup."  That is 60%.  Queen has 50% original members.  I don't see much of a difference. 

Plus, they went about it a very respectful way.  Technically, Freddie was the only vocalist of Queen.  This current lineup is Queen + Adam Lambert.  A way to protect Freddie's legacy while still being able to tour as the part of the band the two original members played a huge role in. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #604 on: May 10, 2017, 06:23:34 AM »

I don't understand this.  Dream Theater has only 2 original members or 3 from the "classic lineup."  That is 60%.  Queen has 50% original members.  I don't see much of a difference. 

Plus, they went about it a very respectful way.  Technically, Freddie was the only vocalist of Queen.  This current lineup is Queen + Adam Lambert.  A way to protect Freddie's legacy while still being able to tour as the part of the band the two original members played a huge role in.

Never really understood the notion of "original members".   I get it if one of the members is the reason you're into the band - Portnoy in DT, Collins in Genesis, Roth in Van Halen - but there's no magic in "original members".   Steve Howe and Rick Wakeman were not original members of Yes, but I don't see people complaining.  Bruce Dickinson, Nicko and Adrian are not original members of Iron Maiden, but they're the "classic lineup".   Brian Johnson.  Sam Hagar.  Neil Peart.   Ian Gillan/Roger Glover.  None original members.   

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #605 on: May 10, 2017, 06:45:16 AM »
Some bands are not the same when certain members are no longer there anymore.  I like when bands continue but not when it's no new music.  So for me, missing band members and no new music = cover band.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wrighty

« Reply #606 on: May 10, 2017, 04:14:19 PM »
Some bands are not the same when certain members are no longer there anymore.  I like when bands continue but not when it's no new music.  So for me, missing band members and no new music = cover band.

Cover bands are the way to go.  If you liked Queen at their height in the 1980s, surely it's better to see some guys in their 30s playing Queen songs, rather than the remaining originals in their 70s.  Nobody goes to a classical concert and moans that 'it wasn't Mr Rachmaninov himself' playing the piano, just some other guy doing cover versions.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #607 on: May 10, 2017, 04:22:13 PM »
Well, if you go and have the mindset that this is simply a performance, then fine. If you have the mindset (like I typically have) that this is just a cash grab, by guys masquerading as a working band, then I can see the disappointment.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #608 on: May 10, 2017, 05:16:03 PM »

Never really understood the notion of "original members".   I get it if one of the members is the reason you're into the band - Portnoy in DT, Collins in Genesis, Roth in Van Halen - but there's no magic in "original members".   Steve Howe and Rick Wakeman were not original members of Yes, but I don't see people complaining.  Bruce Dickinson, Nicko and Adrian are not original members of Iron Maiden, but they're the "classic lineup".   Brian Johnson.  Sam Hagar.  Neil Peart.   Ian Gillan/Roger Glover.  None original members.   

Could not agree more.

Tommy Shaw
Steve Perry
David Gilmour
James LaBrie

The list goes on.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #609 on: May 10, 2017, 08:44:29 PM »
If you have the mindset (like I typically have) that this is just a cash grab, by guys masquerading as a working band, then I can see the disappointment.

I never liked the term "Cash Grab." What does that mean exactly? When people try to earn money when they don't need it? When they do something just for the money? Using this example, Roger and Brian are proud of the music they created, realize there is a market for it to be played live, and enjoy performing it for their fans. Everyone wins. I know artists are supposed to do it for the love of their art and not the money, but let's be real here.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #610 on: May 10, 2017, 09:48:02 PM »
Agreed.  I suspect the guys in Queen will all be rolling in cash until the day they die, so I doubt they need a cash grab.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #611 on: May 17, 2017, 10:57:43 AM »
If you've done nothing else than playing music for your whole life, should you just stop at a certain age?

If you do it for the fun and even if you do it for the money, as long as the performance is okay I have no problem with it. And in the case of Queen, Freddy is dead so they can't tour with the original members.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #612 on: May 17, 2017, 11:38:32 AM »
If you've done nothing else than playing music for your whole life, should you just stop at a certain age?

If you do it for the fun and even if you do it for the money, as long as the performance is okay I have no problem with it. And in the case of Queen, Freddy is dead so they can't tour with the original members.

I HATE the idea that some fan can say "time to hang it up!".   For many artists, it's their life.   I know for many people, "retirement" is death.  Famously, Joe Paterno was manic that if he retired he would die, and in fact, when he finally did retire - well, he was fired against his will in the wake of the Sandusky child abuse scandal - at age of 85, he was dead in two months.

For me, it's my call whether I buy tickets or not.   It's their legacy and for them to do with it what they will.   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #613 on: May 17, 2017, 07:09:59 PM »
If nothing else, Queen still ended their studio career in a fantastic way, releasing Innuendo as the last studio album that the four worked on together, and then Made in Heaven as kind of a beautiful post-Freddie coda to it all.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #614 on: May 17, 2017, 07:12:36 PM »
If nothing else, Queen still ended their studio career in a fantastic way, releasing Innuendo as the last studio album that the four worked on together, and then Made in Heaven as kind of a beautiful post-Freddie coda to it all.

I'm not a big Queen guy (my wife LOVES them) but I love Innuendo. It's easily my favorite Queen album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #615 on: May 17, 2017, 08:54:39 PM »
Starlet, I can you from ever typing "Paterno" ever again.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #616 on: May 18, 2017, 11:07:55 AM »
I mean, if I had to put percentages on what made Queen Queen for me:

Freddie: 50%
Brian May: 25%
Roger Taylor: 15%
John Deacon: 10%

So, in its current formation we're down to 40% Queen. And I would certainly watch it, if they weren't charging 100% Queen ticket prices.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #617 on: May 19, 2017, 02:31:58 AM »
I think you're selling Deacon a bit short there, especially live.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #618 on: May 19, 2017, 06:46:29 AM »
My first reaction is that yeah, that seems a bit harsh on John Deacon, who was undoubtably an important part of Queen and the Queen sound.  But if I had to break it down the same way, (which is weird to do, but this is DTF so maybe not), I'd get similar results.  Freddie was huge, larger than life, at least half the reason Queen was Queen.  Brian May was next, and saying he was half of "the rest" of what made Queen Queen also sounds about right.  So it kinda just comes down to how you divide up the last 25%, and I'd give the edge to Taylor because of his incredible drums and insanely high vocal harmonies.  Sorry John, but even in a band of giants, someone has to come up last.  He wrote some cool, catchy songs, probably contributed in other ways that I don't know about, but I can point to many more examples from the others.

Online Mladen

« Reply #619 on: May 19, 2017, 11:00:23 AM »
As a very new Queen fan, I like the stuff that Deacon contributed to the band more than Roger's songs. I'm aware that Roger was more significant, especially considering all of his vocal contributions, but Deacon's stuff is realy solid - and it's often the most underrated tracks that are his. Just random thought from someone who's just been getting into the band over the last month and a half.

Offline wrighty

« Reply #620 on: May 19, 2017, 12:09:24 PM »
Perhaps controversially, I'd put Brian May as slightly higher up the order than Freddie.  For me his guitar sound defines Queen.  And as good as Roger and John are/were, I think they could have been replaced by pretty much any competent drummer/bassist without there being much difference overall.  So my scores would be:

Brian - 46%
Freddie - 44%
John/Roger - 5% each

I await to be shot down in flames!  However, those figures almost exactly match the writing credits on the first 6 albums (i.e. the classics)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #621 on: May 19, 2017, 03:53:23 PM »

Could not agree more.

Tommy Shaw
Steve Perry
David Gilmour
James LaBrie

The list goes on.

Dave Grohl was Nirvana's 7th drummer. And didn't even play on Bleach. Yet people don't think of Nirvana without Grohl.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #622 on: May 19, 2017, 03:56:50 PM »
That indie album that nobody knew of until they re-released it?  That one?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #623 on: May 19, 2017, 06:09:34 PM »
Perhaps controversially, I'd put Brian May as slightly higher up the order than Freddie.  For me his guitar sound defines Queen.  And as good as Roger and John are/were, I think they could have been replaced by pretty much any competent drummer/bassist without there being much difference overall.  So my scores would be:

Brian - 46%
Freddie - 44%
John/Roger - 5% each

I await to be shot down in flames!  However, those figures almost exactly match the writing credits on the first 6 albums (i.e. the classics)

Honestly, I'd put May and mercury about even on the "importance" scale.  May's guitar work and sound is just as much a part of Queen's sound as Freddie's voice was.  And aside from Another One Bites the Dust, those two wrote all of their songs that have endured as the most popular Queen classics.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #624 on: September 05, 2017, 09:14:15 PM »
Well, folks, if you have seen this or not...the 40th anniversary 'News of the World' boxset is now available.

https://www.queenonline.com/news/press-release-news-of-the-world-40th-anniversary-edition

As usual, a bloated bunch of garbage EXCEPT for Disc Two.  The people running Queen Productions have their head up their arses yet again.

Gee...Disc 3....BBC versions just released last year, live versions from prior official releases....from '79, '81, and '82.  OY !!!!

All the bonus stuff that should have been part of the 2011 reissue bonus disc.

That being said:  go to iTunes when Disc 2 becomes available.  Freddie singing 'All Dead, All Dead' should be worth the wait. 

The man would have been 72 today.  The world misses you.

Now, if the overly awaited movie could only match this sneak peak at the production....well, Rami Malek certainly pulls off the pose

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #625 on: September 05, 2017, 09:19:23 PM »
I'm a little disappointed that Sacha baron cohen isn't doing the movie. I would've liked to see him as Freddie and see what he wanted to do with the movie.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #626 on: September 05, 2017, 09:33:33 PM »
You and about two others. 

Freddie was 5'9", Sacha 6'3"...plus, he's an axe.  At least Malek can act.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #627 on: September 05, 2017, 09:45:23 PM »
You and about two others. 

Freddie was 5'9", Sacha 6'3"...plus, he's an axe.  At least Malek can act.

Hugh Jackman is 6'2, Wolverine is like 5'4. No one cared.

I mean, I did, but the world seemed mostly okay with it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #628 on: September 06, 2017, 01:42:01 AM »
quibbles.....

Now, who can do this?  Or come close....I think they got the right dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DuoBTJdmds

Online Mladen

« Reply #629 on: September 06, 2017, 02:17:10 AM »
Brilliant and legendary.