Author Topic: The Queen Thread  (Read 101871 times)

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
The Queen Thread
« on: August 04, 2009, 06:42:55 PM »
Fantastic band. I'm listening to A Day at The Races for the first time and It's so damn good. Appreciate this awesome band.

I also have Sheer Heart Attack and A Night at The Opera, which I love. Definitely need to check out there other stuff.

DISCUSS!!

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: The Queen Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 06:43:55 PM »
THE SHOW MUST GO ON!

Awesome, amazing band!!

Offline Starkweather

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 06:45:45 PM »
Told you it was good.

I'm gonna spin White Man.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 06:46:47 PM »
Told you it was good.

I'm gonna spin White Man.

:D:D:D

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 07:19:10 PM »
My favorite band of all time.  ;D They were the first band I fell in love with. Queen II might be my favorite album, but Jazz and A Night at the Opera are also amazing.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 08:40:57 PM »
THE SHOW MUST GO ON!

Awesome, amazing band!!
YES

One of my all-time favorite bands. The best rock vocalist of all times with some of the most epic songs I've ever listened to? That's so good it isn't even funny.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 08:41:39 PM »
One of my favourite bands for sure. Oddly enough, I think my favourite album is Innuendo, closely followed by A Day at the Races

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 10:35:18 PM »
Bohemian Rhapsody!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 03:24:33 AM »
My favorite band of all time.  ;D They were the first band I fell in love with. Queen II might be my favorite album, but Jazz and A Night at the Opera are also amazing.

Ogre Battle is really a cool track from that album.

I am a pretty big Queen fan, although they are not in my Top 10 Of All Times list (perhaps as a live act). I remember when I was about 12 years old I bought their first Greatest Hits on cassette (yes kids, cassette!) and played it over and over and over at home. So my favourite Queen period is from those albums, 1973-1981. They were really an innovative and creative band with their arrangements and use of a recording studio to the fullest. Just check the documentary about recording A Night At The Opera where they discuss how they recorded the tracks and instruments. Really interesting stuff.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 05:29:21 AM »
Queen are awesome!  I remember I loved them as a kid, and over the past few weeks I've been slowly rediscovering them.  How a band can go from heavy metal like "Stone Cold Crazy" or "Sweet Lady" to crazy vaudeville wackiness like "Bring Back Leroy Brown" "Killer Queen" or "Seaside Rendezvous" to solemn progressive rock like "Prophet's Song" within a few albums is beyond me.

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 06:14:17 AM »
My excitement over them has waned over the years, but you do need the first two albums.  You'll find Queen II justly loved by aficianados, but might find the debut to be criminally underrated.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 10:08:42 AM »
Get Queen and Queen II now!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 09:49:53 AM »
One of the best bands ever, featuring arguably the best rock vocalist ever, and one of the best guitar players ever.  :hat

The first six albums and Innuendo are all essential, and just about all of the other records have enough good stuff to make them very worthy, too, except for Hot Space.

Favorite albums:

1. A Night at the Opera
2. Sheer Heart Attack
3. Innuendo
4. II
5. A Day at the Races
6. I (like has been said, is very underrated)
7. News of the World
8. A Kind of Magic
9. The Game
10. Jazz

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 11:39:41 AM »
To me, Queen was a perfect example of a progressive band, even though they didnīt have many long songs, they had straight love songs, etc. The amount of new things they tried in their music was just ridiculous. Listening to one of their albums is a journey to several countries with different landscapes.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 11:43:20 AM »
not really into them (waits for shit!!)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2009, 12:37:29 PM »
One of the best bands ever, featuring arguably the best rock vocalist ever, and one of the best guitar players ever.  :hat

The first six albums and Innuendo are all essential, and just about all of the other records have enough good stuff to make them very worthy, too, except for Hot Space.
Wow, all of this exactly! :heart

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ouda

• Executive supervisor of FUNK
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2009, 01:38:24 PM »
Freddie Mercury was the sweetest dude ever!

Gotta say, Stone Cold Crazy, Tie your mother down, and Bohemian Rhapsody are my favorite songs

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2009, 01:48:26 PM »
To me, Queen was a perfect example of a progressive band, even though they didnīt have many long songs, they had straight love songs, etc. The amount of new things they tried in their music was just ridiculous. Listening to one of their albums is a journey to several countries with different landscapes.

Queen could do no wrong in my eyes. They're one of those bands like Zeppelin that dabbled in so many different genres and they always made it work (I even like Hot Space a bit!)

Offline ZachyDou

• Keyboard wizard in training
  • "Haha... Yeah..."
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2009, 09:34:58 PM »

Gotta say, Stone Cold Crazy, Tie your mother down, and Bohemian Rhapsody are my favorite songs

Bohemian Rhapsody, you know the play with this one Ouda
next year in Poland bro

Offline Ouda

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2009, 10:37:49 PM »

next year in Poland bro

And I know just the mountain to do it on! And which pub we will get drunk at first.

Offline ZachyDou

• "Haha... Yeah..."
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2009, 10:01:19 AM »

next year in Poland bro

And I know just the mountain to do it on! And which pub we will get drunk at first.

Scotchtoberfest?  :hat

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2009, 10:23:33 AM »
The greatest rock band of all time.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline Ouda

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2009, 01:07:37 PM »

next year in Poland bro

um we're going during the summer and scotchtoberfest is during october

Offline ZachyDou

• "Haha... Yeah..."
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2009, 04:06:51 PM »

next year in Poland bro

um we're going during the summer and scotchtoberfest is during october

pffff no i dont think so

no but imma just sayin thats just the most legit month ive ever heard of

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2010, 03:50:23 PM »
bump

Was just listening to Don't Stop Me Now and was thinking this band needs to be appreciated a lot more.

Appreciate them!
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2010, 03:55:53 PM »
I've always been something of a Queen hater. I'm only familiar with their most famous songs, and some I quite liked (Bohemian Rhapsody, Got to Break Free or whatever it's called, off the top of my head), but really didn't like the rest.

However, I was recently given their Best Ofs (I and II), so I'm gonna give them a bit more of a try. It's worked for a lot of bands who I didn't care for at all in the last year, so we'll see how it goes.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2010, 10:08:22 PM »
bump

Was just listening to Don't Stop Me Now and was thinking this band needs to be appreciated a lot more.

Appreciate them!

Okay.  Queen still rules.  An all-time top 10 band in my book!  :tup :tup

Also, good luck, Fluffy.  Let us know how the journey goes. :)

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2010, 11:01:42 PM »
I've always been something of a Queen hater. I'm only familiar with their most famous songs, and some I quite liked (Bohemian Rhapsody, Got to Break Free or whatever it's called, off the top of my head), but really didn't like the rest.

However, I was recently given their Best Ofs (I and II), so I'm gonna give them a bit more of a try. It's worked for a lot of bands who I didn't care for at all in the last year, so we'll see how it goes.

I dunno. I really don't recommend "Best of" packages for Queen. Even though thats how I got into them, I find their strongest material is found on the studio albums.

Get A Night At The Opera. Thats pretty much the definite Queen album... if you don't like that one you probably won't like Queen. ;)

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2010, 02:26:55 AM »
Itīs been a while since I listened to them. Iīll do it tomorrow. And I still need to get some of their best albums, I only have:
Queen
Queen II
A Night at the Opera
Sheer Heart Attack
Made in Heaven
Classic Queen
Greatest Hits

I plan to get Innuendo, the other albums are more or less well covered in the compilations I think.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 02:32:45 AM by reneranucci »

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2010, 02:29:56 AM »

I dunno. I really don't recommend "Best of" packages for Queen. Even though thats how I got into them, I find their strongest material is found on the studio albums.

Get A Night At The Opera. Thats pretty much the definite Queen album... if you don't like that one you probably won't like Queen. ;)
I disagree. Classic Queen and Greatest Hits still showcase the variety and epic awesomeness of the band. Itīs true, many of their masterpieces arenīt there, but still, the discs offer an insane amount of good songs. I think theyīre one of the bands that canīt be harmed by a "best of" selection: their more popular/shorter songs are at the same level than the more obscure jewels.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2010, 10:13:04 AM »
A Night at the Opera and Jazz are such damn good albums. :tup
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2010, 10:26:46 AM »
I would agree that many of Queen's best songs are indeed the popular hits, but they have so many great non-hits, especially on most of their 70s albums, that I would definitely recommend getting the studio records. 

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2010, 10:31:15 AM »
I would agree that many of Queen's best songs are indeed the popular hits, but they have so many great non-hits, especially on most of their 70s albums, that I would definitely recommend getting the studio records. 
This. When I first got into Queen, the majority of the stuff I enjoyed were the hits. Eventually I got turned onto the not so well known songs (by well known I'm talking Bohemian Rhapsody or We Will Rock You popular), which are equally as good, if not better than a lot of the hits.

Songs like Seaside Rendezvous and '39 are incredible.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2010, 10:42:08 AM »

I disagree. Classic Queen and Greatest Hits still showcase the variety and epic awesomeness of the band. Itīs true, many of their masterpieces arenīt there, but still, the discs offer an insane amount of good songs. I think theyīre one of the bands that canīt be harmed by a "best of" selection: their more popular/shorter songs are at the same level than the more obscure jewels.

The only reason I recommend getting a studio album first is because he said he doesn't like a lot of the popular songs he heard. And that seems to be the case with a lot of people.... people hear We Will Rock You, Bicycle Race, Radio Ga Ga, etc and just assume all of Queen's songs are like that.

And plus, the best Queen songs, like Its Late, Prophet's Song, Black Queen, Father to Son, Brighton Rock.... never made the greatest hits collections. ;) And to me, those songs represent Queen at their finest.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2010, 11:16:11 AM »
I started with A Night at the Opera because "Bohemian Rhapsody" was on it, and it has that operetto section in it, so I thought that all their songs were like that.  Which in retrospect was pretty stupid to think, but hey, I was in junior high.

Anyway, I was totally blown away by the variety of styles, the stellar musicianship, the production, Freddy's incredible voice, and the two words which graced the early Queen albums:   No Synthesizers!

Holy shit, that means that he's doing all that on his guitar?!  Even better!  I love the part in "Good Company" where the break is an entire Dixieland band, all done on guitars.  Every song on that album is awesome.  I eventually picked up the entire discography, but A Night at the Opera will always be my favorite.