Author Topic: The Queen Thread  (Read 101929 times)

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Queen Thread
« Reply #525 on: April 16, 2016, 09:06:23 PM »
Caught one Q+AL show two years ago.  I knew what I was getting (a last chance to see Brian and Roger), someone who has style and flair and a voice that can do justice to the vocals in a live setting, along with a more than good setlist.  Had a great time.  Brought back the memories of the most enjoyable concerts I've ever attended.

(although seeing ol' fart Billy Joel at MSG last night surprising ranks as one my favorites)

I miss the old lighting rigs.  Oh yeah, .....and I missed Freddie.  But what can you do about it, other than make the best of it and enjoy.  And, you will.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #526 on: April 17, 2016, 10:08:46 PM »
Kind of fun reading this whole thread again, which I did so over the course of this evening, since it appears my annual Queen listening phase is upon me.  :coolio :hat

Anyway, Hot Space took abuse early and often in this thread, and for good reason. :lol

Not sure we have touched on this much yet, but what are your favorite Brian May solos?  There are so many, but the ones that come to mind for me at first are:

Bohemian Rhapsody (iconic for a reason)
Flick of the Wrist
Brighton Rock
Hammer to Fall
These Are the Days of Our Lives

I'm sure I am missing a ton.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #527 on: April 18, 2016, 12:48:35 AM »
I'd like to add the solos in 'Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy' and 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love' too.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #528 on: April 18, 2016, 06:39:26 AM »
I love the solo in "The Prophet's Song" after the a capella section and before "God give you grace..."  Short but sweet, with a terrific buildup.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #529 on: April 18, 2016, 05:01:48 PM »
Those are all good solos (the three mentioned in the two posts prior to this one).  Brian May just has too many great solos.

The long solo in Son and Daughter from the At the BBC CD is freaking money. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #530 on: April 18, 2016, 05:11:56 PM »
I love the fade out solo in The Miracle.  That flanger solo then to the chorus of singing. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #531 on: April 19, 2016, 06:42:36 PM »
I love the fade out solo in The Miracle.  That flanger solo then to the chorus of singing.

That is pretty sweet.  I don't go for that song a lot, but I should.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #532 on: June 21, 2016, 09:03:35 PM »
I am on cloud 9 right now!!

I just scored a pair of Queen + Adam Lambert show (good seats no less) in Hong Kong on 28th Sept!! I just can't wait for this show. Even without Freddie or John, I am sure this will still be an once in a life time experience!! Joy!!  :metal
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #533 on: June 22, 2016, 01:12:33 AM »
Friend of mine went to see them. He said it was pretty good.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #534 on: June 22, 2016, 07:01:43 AM »

(although seeing ol' fart Billy Joel at MSG last night surprising ranks as one my favorites)

He never disappoints.   "Scenes..." and "Captain Jack" are two songs that any rock fan needs to see live just once.   

You got a decent set list, and you got a taste of "Billy"; if I understand it, he did a song each for Trump and Cruz, then played a snippet of "Politician" by Cream.  He's VERY opinionated, and leans left though is not hugely political, so that's a very tongue in cheek thing.  I've seen him something like ten times, and just about every show has something irreverent about it like that.  Yet, at the end of the day, there are always moments where you go "Holy CRAP can that guy play".   You don't think of that when you hear "Just The Way You Are" or something like that.

By the way, I'm pretty sure his touring band is a quasi, mini-Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow reunion, since Chuck Burgi is the drummer and David Rosenthal is the keyboard player/band leader.  Rosenthal was on Straight Between The Eyes, and they both appeared on Bent Out Of Shape (and the assorted live stuff from those tours, like Finyl Vinyl).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #535 on: June 22, 2016, 07:03:36 AM »
Jeez, you don't see Chuck Burgi and David Rosenthal references everyday!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #536 on: September 05, 2016, 10:35:04 AM »
Happy 70th birthday, Freddie  :hefdaddy

Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #537 on: September 05, 2016, 11:48:19 AM »
For those who would like to listen to would have made for his best 'best of' solo releases, here is my version that I made over a dozen years ago

Goin' Back
Made In Heaven [extended version]
She Blows Hot & Cold
Love Is The Hero [Billy Squier ext]
Hold On [w/ Jo Dare]
Heaven For Everyone [The Cross w/Freddie LVs]
I Was Born To Love You [demo]
Your Kind Of Lover [demo]
Man Made Paradise [ a demo version for 'Hot Space' exists somewhere]
There Must Be More To Life Than This [google this for all the info]
The Great Pretender [original or enhanced remix]
Time [original or enhanced remix]
In My Defence [original or enhanced remix]
Exercises In Free Love
Barcelona [LP] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8Eg-mWdDLc    [ext] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P24kWCn5tTk
Guide Me Home / How Can I Go On  [guide vocal demo]  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A-aITCcrdk
Ensueno
It's In Everyone Of Us [his last stage performance, 'Time' musical with Cliff Richards]

Comments by other artists throughout the years
https://queenrockband.blogspot.com/2011/11/quotes-about-freddie-mercury.html

and our favorites
Dave Grohl, NPR, 2011
The key to success in any venue, Grohl says, is "breaking down that barrier" between fans and the band.  Asked for an example, he says, "The bands that get up on stage and play like it's the last night of their lives are the ones I have a lot of respect for."  But he takes the time to cite three particular performers who he says made performing in front of huge crowds into their own art forms:
Freddie Mercury, Paul McCartney and Bruce Springsteen.

"Every band should study Queen at Live Aid," he says. "If you really feel like that barrier is gone, you become Freddie Mercury. I consider him the greatest frontman of all time. Like, it's funny – you'd imagine that Freddie was more than human, but ... You know how he controlled Wembley Stadium at Live Aid in 1985? He stood up there and did his vocal warm ups with the audience. Something that intimate, where they realize, 'Oh yeah, he's just a f***ing dude.'"

And from the introduction speech into the RnR Hall of Fame by Grohl and Hawkins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnkTh4I_Zis    from 1:50 to 3:00 are the best comments

"I once said in an interview after playing in front of an audience of 250,000, that if you want to learn how to connect to an audience that size, you either watch the Pope........ or Freddie Mercury." 

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #538 on: September 28, 2016, 05:14:32 PM »
Queen is arguably my favorite band of all-time. When Freddie died in 1991, I thought that was the end of the band... fast forward 25 years... being able to see the surviving members (+ Adam Lambert) live for the first, and most likely for the last time; is an amazing experience. I can die in peace now.

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #539 on: September 29, 2016, 07:54:49 AM »
Now THAT'S a rock show!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #540 on: September 29, 2016, 09:34:23 AM »
Nice pics.  Definitely looks like a great show.

Sorry to be a pedant, but this:

Queen... surviving members (+ Adam Lambert)

is incorrect.  John Deacon is still alive, just retired from the music business.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #541 on: September 29, 2016, 09:58:57 AM »
Nice pics.  Definitely looks like a great show.

Sorry to be a pedant, but this:

Queen... surviving members (+ Adam Lambert)

is incorrect.  John Deacon is still alive, just retired from the music business.

Sure... but you know what I meant, lol!  :biggrin:
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #542 on: September 29, 2016, 10:29:21 AM »
Did John Deacon do anything after Freddie died?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #543 on: September 29, 2016, 11:08:28 AM »
I believe he's made breakfast, and I'm sure he's crapped at least once.   Other than that, I can't confirm whether he's done anything since then.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #544 on: September 29, 2016, 11:32:27 AM »
He has played with the other surviving members of Queen three times, including the Freddie tribute concert and two other things that were based on honoring Freddie and/or Queen, but nothing else musically related or in the public eye.  He retired from music in 1997, and continues to keep the band's finances (as he did before), but that's the only real contact they have with him.  The others don't socialize with him or really have any other contact with him, and that's by his choice.  He clearly considers that chapter of his life over.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #545 on: October 02, 2016, 10:41:41 AM »
He has played with the other surviving members of Queen three times, including the Freddie tribute concert and two other things that were based on honoring Freddie and/or Queen, but nothing else musically related or in the public eye.  He retired from music in 1997, and continues to keep the band's finances (as he did before), but that's the only real contact they have with him.  The others don't socialize with him or really have any other contact with him, and that's by his choice.  He clearly considers that chapter of his life over.

Sad, but I kind of understand it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #546 on: October 02, 2016, 10:54:37 AM »
He can probably live like a king for the rest of his life strictly off of the royalties he still receives from Another One Bites the Dust, which still gets played often and everywhere.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #547 on: October 18, 2016, 03:57:07 PM »

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #548 on: October 19, 2016, 07:33:23 AM »
I can't believe everyone mentions Mercury as past member of Queen, but no one ever mentions Deacon. (up until now). He was SUCH an important part of the sound.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #549 on: October 19, 2016, 09:55:25 AM »
We Will Rock You ( Fast Version ) https://open.spotify.com/track/0AhznlCMMO3LzPGZvWDRXO

Heard this earlier today.  Very cool to hear a band's alternate version of a song everyone knows so well.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #550 on: October 19, 2016, 10:40:02 AM »
If it's the version I'm thinking of, they do it on the Queen Rock Montreal concert vid.  It used to get radio play once in a while around here.  It's different, I can't say I really like it, but it's their song and they can do whatever they want with it.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #551 on: October 19, 2016, 02:28:22 PM »
To Azyiu:  thanks for the pix.  Glad you could see Brian and Roger.  Adam has done a more than commendable job fronting and helping 'drive' the Ferrari.

As to the 'We Will Rock You' fast version:  it has been around since '77, used as the opener or second song from the '78 through '82 tours (four concerts that I was so fortunate to attend).  Along with the Montreal '81 show, the live version also appears on 'Live Killers' and Milton Keynes.

The studio version has been in my paws for about 20 years, is available on youtube, and finally.......FINALLY gets an official release next month.

https://www.queenonlinestore.com/Queen/On-Air/On-Air/59A50CR80LK

Why it wasn't made available back in '91 on the Hollywood Records remasters, an expanded BBC release in '91, or Greatest Hits III, or the 2011 remaster bonus disc is, or......anytime sooner is well, beyond belief.  If you check in on the link, you will find other so called 'goodies' available in this expanded box set.  An incomplete Golders Green concert from '73 (before Queen II was released), three interview discs (seriously?!?!??!), to go along with the stupid and sh*t artwork.  The uproar in my Queen world was so bad that queenonline.com removed the comments section for this release.

Yes, I will be buying the 2 CD set, as these will be an immense upgrade on what I have.  I would highly recommend this to anyone, just for this track, 'Spread Your Wings', 'Son and Daughter', the two 'Modern Times Rock n Roll' versions, 'Stone Cold Crazy' and so many others. 

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #552 on: October 19, 2016, 03:16:19 PM »

That's what I thought too. Interesting that he never released anything else with another group. I wonder if he still play bass for pleasure.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #553 on: October 19, 2016, 03:20:43 PM »
  the '78 through '82 tours (four concerts that I was so fortunate to attend).   

I didn't think you were THAT old!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #554 on: October 20, 2016, 01:35:57 AM »
Yes, that versions opens Live Killers and has been an instant favourite of mine ever since. I've even performed it live once with a party band....very fun.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #555 on: November 16, 2016, 04:46:21 PM »
  the '78 through '82 tours (four concerts that I was so fortunate to attend).   

I didn't think you were THAT old!

I have tried to act overly juvenile on occasion, for fear of showing JUST how old I am.  My caption entries are proof of that......

I saw Queen open for Mott The Hoople, as a high school sophomore, so if you do your math.  Then again, Orbert was only four years younger than me when he got drenched at the Styx (Ram Jam) concert in Lansing, so......I do not feel TOO old.

Moving on.....the two CD 'On Air' package is more than worth it.  There are 'repeats' of a few tracks from different
BBC sessions, but, who cares.  Still, it is 20+ years frickin' late.  I feel bad for many of my friends who have passed on, who never had the pleasure of FINALLY hearing the 24 ....er, 23 tracks so clean and crisp.

The 6 CD box set was only twice the 2CD set in price, but I passed.  Why buy four discs of incomplete concerts and garbage interviews.  Sorry, QPL, you were clueless yet again.

Sadly......Brian May cancelled his upcoming British small gigs with Kelly Ellis after the Queen + Japan tour.  He stated that he will not have internet access, cell phone will be off, etc.  Do not know if it is semi depression, cancer (again), hand problems.....

Wishing him well.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #556 on: November 17, 2016, 04:42:18 AM »
Some more pics like the ones by Azyiu, this time from the show in Padova, Italy on the 25th of June 2016. The first one was the view from about 100m left of the stage. An open air night yet still "too fucking hot for feathers", to quote Adam about his stage clothes. :biggrin:

Greetings...
Nef

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #557 on: November 17, 2016, 08:10:09 AM »
Nice photos Nef. Bet you enjoyed it as much as I did... I pretty much stood up the whole time, and sung along on most of the songs. It was a fun, unforgettable experience!  :tup
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #558 on: November 18, 2016, 06:18:07 AM »
Thanks! It was a great show. Plus it was in Italy, so everyone was singing. The previous tour had the same stage and lights. I've been to that show in Vienna. Also attended the gig in Vienna with Paul Rodgers in 2008. An inspiration every time.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #559 on: November 20, 2016, 05:09:26 PM »
I was listening to some Queen on the ride to Charlotte while moving. I wonder if Freddie had lived how his voice would have held up.