Author Topic: The Queen Thread  (Read 102942 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: The Queen Thread
« Reply #490 on: September 17, 2015, 11:11:49 PM »
Queen II is awesomely good.

But people forget who good some of the deep cuts from Night at the opera are. Like Prophet Song. Holy crap. ´The earth will shake in two will break and death all around will be your doury.´

Also, ´I´m in love with my car´, My sweet lady, ´39´,  ´My best friend´. 

Also, each year around christmus there is a top 2000 aired on the radio. For about ten years running, Bohemian Rhapsody was always no. 1. But musically, a track like Inuendo is very VERY underrated.

Just had to +1 The Prophet's Song.   From the day I heard it, I felt it was superior to BR.   The vocal section is just amazing.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #491 on: September 18, 2015, 07:07:05 AM »
Queen II is awesomely good.

But people forget who good some of the deep cuts from Night at the opera are. Like Prophet Song. Holy crap. ´The earth will shake in two will break and death all around will be your doury.´

Also, ´I´m in love with my car´, My sweet lady, ´39´,  ´My best friend´. 

Also, each year around christmus there is a top 2000 aired on the radio. For about ten years running, Bohemian Rhapsody was always no. 1. But musically, a track like Inuendo is very VERY underrated.

I agree. BR just flows incredibly well, builds up a story, and is varied yet has that catchy pop-factor. That is why it always ends up on top. But the album has many other interesting songs that are really different in a lot of aspects. I think that is the beauty of Queen in general. They can write these insanely catchy (and popular) pop songs but one can also find a song that ventures into metal or classic rock n' roll on the same album. And ANATO is, to me, their greatest work. But for me every Queen album has it's shining moments.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #492 on: September 18, 2015, 07:13:22 PM »
Queen does have a very little known Christmas song of their own.

It is called "Thank God It's Christmas". It is previously unreleased, and as far as I know it is only available on the 1992 Classic Queen special box set. I am very fortunate and I have that box set.  :biggrin:  :hat
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #493 on: September 27, 2015, 07:54:17 PM »
Queen does have a very little known Christmas song of their own.

It is called "Thank God It's Christmas". It is previously unreleased, and as far as I know it is only available on the 1992 Classic Queen special box set. I am very fortunate and I have that box set.  :biggrin:  :hat

I have this on about a half-dozen commercially released Christmas compilations. Definitely a favorite of mine.

I just listened to Innuendo again yesterday.  I really wish they'd been able to tour for that although it's probably a miracle it got made in the first place. May be their best album ever.

I just wish the production wasn't so thin, but that's how albums got made back then.  (I'm glad When Dream and Day Unite wasn't made that way at least.)

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #494 on: October 06, 2015, 02:48:50 AM »
I am going through a Brian May-phase lately, and I am amazed at how much I love the May compositions in Queen's discography. So I constructed a playlist of one Brian May song from every album, and this is what I came up with.

Keep Yourself Alive
Father to Son
Brighton Rock
The Prophet's Song
Tie Your Mother Down
It's Late
Fat Bottomed Girls
Save Me
Flash's Theme
Put Out the Fire
Hammer to Fall
Who Wants to Live Forever
I Want It All
The Show Must Go On
Too Much Love Will Kill You

I am enjoying it so far.  :metal And I could easily substitute Now I'm Here or Flick of the Wrist for Brighton Rock, and '39 for The Prophet's Song. Brian May is an amazing songwriter.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 03:21:34 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #495 on: October 06, 2015, 03:27:51 AM »
Great idea. Brian was indeed an amazing songwriter.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #496 on: October 06, 2015, 07:28:55 AM »
I would substitute '39 for The Prophet's Song.  Both are great songs, and The Prophet's Song is actually my favorite, but that entire middle section was Freddie, and that's a big part of the song.  Brian told the story of how Freddie came to him with the a capella section worked out on a napkin or piece of paper.  Anyway, '39 is all Brian, so to me that would make the list a bit more "pure" or something.

But it's your list.  A good one, too.  :tup

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #497 on: October 06, 2015, 08:21:56 AM »
Don't forget Long Away from A Day At The Races, one of my personal favourites.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #498 on: October 07, 2015, 01:30:31 AM »
Did you know, Sleeping On the Sidewalk was recorded in one take (minus the vocal)? Amazing tune!  :hat
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #499 on: October 07, 2015, 03:20:24 AM »
This looks amazing, not cheap as you'd expect it not o be.
https://studiocollection.queenonline.com/

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #500 on: October 07, 2015, 01:20:26 PM »
Couldn't find the price actually. How much?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #501 on: October 07, 2015, 08:44:27 PM »
I've always been a big fan of most of the songs Brian May sang.  Such a warm, gentle soul, and his voice perfectly reflects that.  The bridge in I Want It All is one of my all-time favorite Queen moments. :coolio

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #502 on: October 07, 2015, 09:10:52 PM »

Memory is what memory is, but literally the one song from the entire Tribute show that I want to hear again - Plant's "Innuendo" - is not on either release at Plant's request.  He's a dick like that (see: Live Aid) and now I wish I recorded it (as I did with Live Aid). 

Honestly, I can't say I blame him for that. My dad has it recorded. I haven't watched it in a while but I don't remember him doing too well on that song. He was struggling with it and he couldn't remember some of the words.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #504 on: October 08, 2015, 08:17:16 AM »

Memory is what memory is, but literally the one song from the entire Tribute show that I want to hear again - Plant's "Innuendo" - is not on either release at Plant's request.  He's a dick like that (see: Live Aid) and now I wish I recorded it (as I did with Live Aid). 

Honestly, I can't say I blame him for that. My dad has it recorded. I haven't watched it in a while but I don't remember him doing too well on that song. He was struggling with it and he couldn't remember some of the words.

The said performance on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twlc9GzWL8c
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #505 on: October 08, 2015, 10:19:42 AM »
See, I loved that.  When Plant recited "Kashmir", then sang the "Don't take offense at my innuendo", I thought that was classic, then when the band kicks in, and you hear Plant's classic "Ooh ooh, ooh ooh!"'s ... it doesn't have to be note perfect for me.  I thought that was amazing.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #506 on: October 11, 2015, 09:11:36 AM »
See, I loved that.  When Plant recited "Kashmir", then sang the "Don't take offense at my innuendo", I thought that was classic, then when the band kicks in, and you hear Plant's classic "Ooh ooh, ooh ooh!"'s ... it doesn't have to be note perfect for me.  I thought that was amazing.

Strangely that performance now sounded fine to me... but the last time (also the first time) I checked it out a few years back, I thought it sucked!
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #507 on: October 14, 2015, 01:05:11 AM »
Legendary 1975 Queen Concert Finally Gets DVD/Blu-Ray Release

A legendary television performance by Queen from their 1975 world tour will finally be released on DVD and SD Blu-Ray. "Queen - A Night at the Odeon - Hammersmith 1975" will be released November 20 on CD, DVD, SD Blu-Ray, 2 LP vinyl, Super Deluxe Box Set and digitally via Virgin EMI. Recorded on December 24 1975 and filmed for the BBC's "Old Grey Whistle Test" program, the show was the culmination of the band's 26-date "Queen Invite You to a Night at the Opera" UK tour of 1975.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDedHYIxj7g

:metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #508 on: October 14, 2015, 02:50:16 AM »
The setlist is a bit disappointong. Very similar to last year's bluray.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #509 on: October 14, 2015, 03:08:29 AM »
The setlist is a bit disappointong. Very similar to last year's bluray.
Yeah, I was hoping for more from A Night at the Opera. Still, it's early Queen so I won't complain. :metal
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #510 on: October 14, 2015, 03:29:00 AM »
Queen II, Sheer Heart Attack and Night at the Opera are my favourite Queen albums. When I read that it was a show from late 1975, I hoped those three albums would be represented similarly.

But still, a bluray full of Q2 and SHA material is always welcome.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #511 on: November 24, 2015, 09:15:43 AM »
From the upcoming ´A night  at the Odeon Hammersmith´  :omg: White Queen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8usNj4x9NA
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #512 on: November 30, 2015, 12:07:05 PM »
For those who would like to read up on all of the versions available (and of various demos that haven't seen the light of day), this is a great 'Bible' to use for reference

https://queenvault.com/

For those interested in concert set lists, rare pics, bootlegs, etc., these two are the best
https://www.queenlive.ca    and     https://www.queenconcerts.com/

Two brief comments:  Hammersmith '75 was one of the most bootlegged concerts.  Thanks to friends, I've had video of this for five years, which also includes the audio of the encore of 'Seven Seas of Rhye', 'See What A Fool I've Been' GSTQ.  These tracks are available on the 'A Night at the Odeon' CD, but not the DVD.  Seems the film crew thought the concert was over, and closed up shop. A shame that Queen Productions used yet another cheap Photoshop effort for the sleeve.  See 'Queen Rocks Montreal'.

With the holidays approaching, 'Thank God It's Christmas' (on GH III as well as the 'Queen Collection') and 'A Winter's Tale' make for great BTB tracks on any compilation at this time of year.

(I do know a thing or three about the band, and have enjoyed catching up on this thread)

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #513 on: December 01, 2015, 02:54:59 AM »
From the upcoming ´A night  at the Odeon Hammersmith´  :omg: White Queen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8usNj4x9NA

An awesome version of an awesome song. Quite different and very ethereal sounding.
Guess I'll need to get that blu ray after all.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #514 on: December 01, 2015, 05:25:25 AM »
The interplay between guitar/piano and bass is amazing. The drums just perfects things even more.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #515 on: January 15, 2016, 09:11:01 AM »
Just making the rounds......Robert Plant rehearsing with Brian, Roger and John before The Tribute Concert

Thank You / Crazy Little Thing Called Love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55PbgeeqCpY
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline GedGeddNGeddy

• The truth is still out there
« Reply #516 on: January 19, 2016, 07:39:42 PM »
Just re-watched Queen's Live Aid performance for the first time in a few years, somehow had forgotten how stellar that gig was. Freddie leading 72,000 people in unison chants... chilling.
"Life's complicated, man, like a dang ol' Rubix cube, man, talkin' 'bout all blue-red, man, talkin' 'bout dang ol' get one side done, dang ol' messed up the other side."
- Boomhauer

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #517 on: January 20, 2016, 11:59:33 AM »
Just re-watched Queen's Live Aid performance for the first time in a few years, somehow had forgotten how stellar that gig was. Freddie leading 72,000 people in unison chants... chilling.

At the time (1985) I was a big metal head.  I remember watching in "in real time", and thinking, "WOW, Sabbath ain't all that great live, but who the hell is that guy with the overbite and that other guy name Bone-o."   Really opened my eyes to the greatness that was Queen, and introduced me to U2.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #518 on: January 20, 2016, 12:32:55 PM »
That performance was indeed magical, and rehearsed to the SECOND.  They hadn´t played live in a while and really wanted to prove themselves as a live act. They ended up gaining a whole new worldwide audience.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #519 on: January 22, 2016, 04:36:47 AM »
That was THE performance that defines Live Aid!
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #520 on: January 22, 2016, 12:45:33 PM »
Yeah, I wasn't even alive back then and have heard about that concert many times (even before getting into Queen). Truly a legendary performance. And one that lives up to the name at that. Great energy, charisma and vibe there.

I am glad that they are releasing these excellent remastered live Blu Ray's, as it is the closest I'll get to experiencing Queen with Mercury.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #521 on: February 08, 2016, 03:47:17 PM »
https://queenvault.com/

https://www.queenconcerts.com/

Nice websites! I used to be a huge Smiths/Morrissey fan some time ago, and there's a similar website, full of details about discography and concerts. I didn't think there would be something superior, but those are really cool!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #522 on: February 25, 2016, 08:46:09 AM »
Here's a new and historic bootleg that has just hit the airwaves, Liverpool Nov 14, 1975

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnHdqd18UWg

The first stage performance of 'Bohemian Rhapsody' (in it's 'chopped' form that would be standard for their 'A Night at the Opera' tour).

The single had only been out for two weeks.  'Sweet Lady' and 'The Prophet's Song' also debut to an unsuspecting crowd, as the album would not be released until a week later.

A lot of bass reverb in this.  A tape switch during 'Keep Yourself Alive', and 'God Save The Queen' is not included (one can find it on ytube for later shows if needed).

Highlights:  The Prophet's Song/Stone Cold Crazy, Son and Daughter on through the great sing along ending of 'In The Lap of the Gods'.

Made available by a group of fans who ponied up the money at an auction recently, with some speed and sound corrections.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #523 on: February 27, 2016, 03:05:32 PM »
Here's a new and historic bootleg that has just hit the airwaves, Liverpool Nov 14, 1975

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnHdqd18UWg

The first stage performance of 'Bohemian Rhapsody' (in it's 'chopped' form that would be standard for their 'A Night at the Opera' tour).

The single had only been out for two weeks.  'Sweet Lady' and 'The Prophet's Song' also debut to an unsuspecting crowd, as the album would not be released until a week later.

A lot of bass reverb in this.  A tape switch during 'Keep Yourself Alive', and 'God Save The Queen' is not included (one can find it on ytube for later shows if needed).

Highlights:  The Prophet's Song/Stone Cold Crazy, Son and Daughter on through the great sing along ending of 'In The Lap of the Gods'.

Made available by a group of fans who ponied up the money at an auction recently, with some speed and sound corrections.

Thanks!

I'm going to check this out now.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #524 on: April 14, 2016, 02:24:46 PM »
Just bought tickets and booked a hotel room for the final night of Queen + Adam Lambert's 2016 summer tour at Anfiteatro Camerini Piazzola Sul Brenta, Padua, Italy on 25th of June. :metal

A nice weekend trip from Austria to Italy, a car full of friends, a concert at a pretty location, some rest, breakfast next morning, a little detour to Venice for some original Italian espresso and pasta, and back home again. :)

Should be niiiiiice!

Greetings...
Nef