Author Topic: The Queen Thread  (Read 101870 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Queen Thread
« Reply #455 on: December 10, 2014, 07:16:11 PM »
Because of the Brian May vs. JP thread in the DT forum, I decided to listen to the entire Queen discography again. Still amazing.

In that other thread, somebody said that Queen did not delve into metal. I disagree. They did. What do you think are the Queen songs that could qualify as metal (or approach close to what we know as metal)? I will give a few.

Flick of the Wrist
Son and Daughter
Stone Cold Crazy
Ogre Battle (one of my top
Gimme the Prize
Death on Two Legs (portions, it's like a cross between hard rock and metal)
Innuendo (I love how prog this song sounds)
The Hitman

Add to the middle of Father to Son to this list.  Queen rarely got as dark and heavy as they did there, but man, that is some heavy shit.  :metal :metal

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #456 on: December 11, 2014, 06:02:56 AM »
There is indeed no denying quite some metal bands (especially powermetal) have a lot of Queen influences in their songs.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #457 on: December 11, 2014, 07:00:28 PM »
After going through my latest run through the Queen discography, I find myself appreciating The Game more. It has a lot of songs I really like, and I actually find it a better listen than ADATR.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #458 on: December 12, 2014, 03:35:56 AM »
Also, I would just like to share that because I am now a full time academic, I am happy that i finally can download Brian May's researches. LOL. Here is a published article that follows up on his published PhD thesis. https://mnras.oxfordjournals.org/content/429/4/2894.full.pdf+html Pretty deep stuff there for our astrophysicist guitarist. :p

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #459 on: December 12, 2014, 07:43:21 AM »
I am very close to the academic world (as in still studying but probably not going to do a PhD), it is really weird to see such a serious publication by May, haha. Awesome stuff.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #460 on: December 12, 2014, 10:53:18 AM »
Yeah, very cool. Just skimmed through the thing, and it's funny to read "was initially investigated by May in 1966 .... further developed by May in 2007". I guess there was a band called Queen in the middle :lol

Watching the Freddie Mercury Tribute concert right now. Gotta say, Hetfield does a pretty good job at Stone Cold Crazy.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #461 on: December 12, 2014, 11:16:11 AM »
I loved Extreme at the Tribute Concert.  I haven't watched that in a while.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #462 on: December 13, 2014, 09:01:40 AM »
This reminds me that I still need to get the Blu-ray of the Freddie Mercurty tribute concert, which has all of that early stuff from the concert that was omitted from the original DVD release, including that stellar Extreme medley.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #463 on: December 13, 2014, 10:53:19 AM »
Damn Kev!  I didn't know about the Blu-Ray!  I'm on it!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #464 on: December 13, 2014, 11:23:38 AM »
Yeah, that Extreme medley was sweet.  I remember watching it when it was originally broadcast, and thinking that the vocals were just perfect for Queen.  Then it wasn't on the DVD, and I was sad.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #465 on: December 15, 2014, 06:23:54 AM »
Yeah, that Extreme medley was sweet.  I remember watching it when it was originally broadcast, and thinking that the vocals were just perfect for Queen.  Then it wasn't on the DVD, and I was sad.

Another sad thing is, most of the available videos cut off the "Love of My Life / More Than Words" portion at the end. True, Gary's vocal wasn't great at that time, but Nuno's guitar playing was superb! Luckily I have both the medley and acoustic portions on a bootleg cd of Extreme.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #466 on: December 15, 2014, 08:06:02 AM »
So what do you guys think is the ultimate Queen DVD/Blueray?

I always thought Live in Montreal was amazing, that Freddie's vocals were at their best there. But the new Rainbow Blueray is really awesome as well!
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #467 on: December 15, 2014, 10:50:27 AM »
I only have Montreal, so I can't compare them, but the Montreal Blu-ray (with the Live Aid stuff as "bonus") is pretty amazing.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #468 on: December 15, 2014, 03:37:59 PM »
The Rainbow DVD is excellent indeed.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #469 on: December 15, 2014, 03:40:24 PM »
Speaking of Extreme, I remember seeing Brian May at the Garden on St. Patty's Day '93 (opening for GnR) and Gary Cherone came out and sang Tie Your Mother Down.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #470 on: December 21, 2014, 08:34:19 PM »
I played lots of Queen again today, and I have to say that John Deacon is very underrated. Amazing bass playing, he seems to be always lost in talks about Queen's musicianship.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #471 on: December 22, 2014, 06:35:58 AM »
+1

His bass line on Radio GaGa is pretty cool.

Again though I think it's the early albums where he shines. Millionaire Waltz from a Day at the Races - the intro where it's just him and Freddie on the piano - it's nicely sublime.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #472 on: July 03, 2015, 06:17:22 PM »
This thread has been dormant for too long.

:bump:

I'm now listening to a Queen playlist made up of the songs I grew up on.

So much love.

Queen is the one band that I can put on and that'll put me in an amazing mood :D
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #473 on: July 03, 2015, 06:59:03 PM »
Queen was awesome, and one of many great things about them is that even their worst albums all mostly still had at least a few great songs, except for, well, Hot Space. :lol :lol

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #474 on: July 03, 2015, 07:24:24 PM »
Queen was awesome, and one of many great things about them is that even their worst albums all mostly still had at least a few great songs, except for, well, Hot Space. :lol :lol

I actually kind of like Hot Space, to be honest with you. Definitely NOT my fav Queen album, but I like Staying Power, Life Is Real, Las Palabras De Amor etc. Those are cool songs, dude. And then there are songs like Cool Cat (have you heard the unreleased version in which David Bowie was in it?) and Body Language. Which established band would dare to do that kind of experiment? Oh, and this is how I like Queen.  :tup
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #475 on: July 03, 2015, 08:31:35 PM »
Yes, part of Queen's greatness was them never being afraid to try almost anything, but I just think that Hot Space is mostly a big swing and a miss.  To each his own. :hat

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #476 on: July 03, 2015, 08:36:52 PM »
To me Hot Space is actually 2nd bottom. Absolute bottom is Flash Gordon. It's not even an album really.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #477 on: July 03, 2015, 08:47:43 PM »
To me Hot Space is actually 2nd bottom. Absolute bottom is Flash Gordon. It's not even an album really.

You're not into soundtrack music, are you?   Flash Gordon....as a soundtrack album....is a freakin masterpiece. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #478 on: July 03, 2015, 08:57:57 PM »
I usually love movie soundtracks. But that requires that the tracks can stand on their own, without the movie. Flash Gordon, to me, is mostly just sound effects and movie samples that make no sense without the movie.
To me, personally, that "album" was just a way of cashing in (because of the Queen name), as it should never have been separated from the movie it was written for.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #479 on: July 03, 2015, 09:36:53 PM »
I usually love movie soundtracks. But that requires that the tracks can stand on their own, without the movie. Flash Gordon, to me, is mostly just sound effects and movie samples that make no sense without the movie.
To me, personally, that "album" was just a way of cashing in (because of the Queen name), as it should never have been separated from the movie it was written for.

You mean Flash Gordon the movie actually makes sense?  :lol

Man, I still love that scene in Ted.  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline jammindude

« Reply #480 on: July 03, 2015, 10:04:02 PM »
Just to clarify...I'm talking about REAL movie soundtracks.  Not soundtrack albums like Footloose or Top Gun.   What they call "Original Score" albums these days.  That's what Flash Gordon is.   

I'll agree it's not really a proper Queen album.   But as an Original Score, I think the album is absolutely amazing.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #481 on: July 03, 2015, 10:32:30 PM »
As an example, I loooove the Back to the Future soundtracks, particularly the ones for the sequels. They are true soundtracks (not just collections of songs played during the movie, like A Kind Of Magic), but Sivestris orchestration stands up on its own really well.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #482 on: July 08, 2015, 06:16:28 AM »
Lousy quality, but here's Brian May playing God Save The Queen on top of the Buckingham Palace in 2002 :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoIWHKfW3P4
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #483 on: July 08, 2015, 10:51:17 PM »
Heh, I guess he still dyed his hair in those days :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #484 on: July 09, 2015, 06:39:53 AM »
It's a "The Miracle" kind of day today.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #485 on: July 09, 2015, 07:23:33 AM »
Onto, "The Works".

Offline rung

« Reply #486 on: September 16, 2015, 11:48:09 PM »
My favorite   :hat
  • Killer Queen
  • Don't Stop Me Now
  • Fat Bottomed Girls
  • Bohemian Rhapsody
  • Somebody to Love
  • Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 06:09:49 AM by rung »

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #487 on: September 17, 2015, 12:54:14 AM »
Actually stumbled onto something called 'The man from Manhattan'. It's Brian May, Freddie Mercury and two other dudes....haven't listened to it yet, will keep you posted.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #488 on: September 17, 2015, 08:22:34 AM »

Another sad thing is, most of the available videos cut off the "Love of My Life / More Than Words" portion at the end. True, Gary's vocal wasn't great at that time, but Nuno's guitar playing was superb! Luckily I have both the medley and acoustic portions on a bootleg cd of Extreme.

Memory is what memory is, but literally the one song from the entire Tribute show that I want to hear again - Plant's "Innuendo" - is not on either release at Plant's request.  He's a dick like that (see: Live Aid) and now I wish I recorded it (as I did with Live Aid). 

As for Queen, that live disk at the Rainbow is the standard by which others should be judged; holy crap is that good.  Queen II is my favorite Queen album by a lot, so that helps, but still...

As for the catalogue, well, sometimes the eclecticism is a little too much, and some of Freddie's little ditties are a shade too twee for me.  A Night At The Opera is a colossal accomplishment, but to listen to it in one setting is therefore not something I do often and keeps it from being one of my overall favorites (unlike Queen II which is almost perfect, and "Funny How Love Is..." sublime).   

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #489 on: September 17, 2015, 11:50:30 AM »
Queen II is awesomely good.

But people forget who good some of the deep cuts from Night at the opera are. Like Prophet Song. Holy crap. ´The earth will shake in two will break and death all around will be your doury.´

Also, ´I´m in love with my car´, My sweet lady, ´39´,  ´My best friend´. 

Also, each year around christmus there is a top 2000 aired on the radio. For about ten years running, Bohemian Rhapsody was always no. 1. But musically, a track like Inuendo is very VERY underrated.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....