Author Topic: The Queen Thread  (Read 103900 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Queen Thread
« Reply #350 on: August 21, 2013, 07:06:50 AM »
Thanks for sharing.

The concert as a whole was great, but somehow that trailer didn't do much for me.  :hat

yea, it seemed very bland and quickly put together.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #351 on: August 21, 2013, 09:13:19 AM »
That's too bad; he would've been great.  Also, I'm not sure how you'd do a biopic of Freddie and not at least venture into PG-13 material.  They might be able to stay this side of R, but if they want to be even halfway realistic and honest about Freddie's lifestyle off stage, it's not going to be a squeaky-clean movie.

They would have to essentially leave out everything from the Hot Space era.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #352 on: August 21, 2013, 09:20:48 AM »
That's too bad; he would've been great.  Also, I'm not sure how you'd do a biopic of Freddie and not at least venture into PG-13 material.  They might be able to stay this side of R, but if they want to be even halfway realistic and honest about Freddie's lifestyle off stage, it's not going to be a squeaky-clean movie.

It depends on how graphic they'd want to get about it though. I don't think a mere suggestion of drugs and debauchery constitutes a higher than PG rating. And frankly, I don't think I'd want to see a re-enactment of what actually went down. I know Sacha Cohen isn't a stranger to rolling around with naked men, but it's not exactly something I enjoy watching.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: August 21, 2013, 09:29:53 AM »
Sacha Baron Cohen is off this film I hear. . .

That's a shame if true as he resembles Freddie quite a bit...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #354 on: August 21, 2013, 09:32:45 AM »
Here's something :

How is it that you can say you like Queen and everyone goes " Ah Yes ! Great Band ! "

But if you mention Pet Shop Boys or Erasure - People look at you weird and go " but the singer is gay ! "

So it's ok if it's rock music but not electronic/pop music ?

What's the problem ? Andy Bell has a great voice and VInce Clarke is a genius on the synths.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: August 21, 2013, 09:48:08 AM »
Here's something :

How is it that you can say you like Queen and everyone goes " Ah Yes ! Great Band ! "

But if you mention Pet Shop Boys or Erasure - People look at you weird and go " but the singer is gay ! "

What's the problem ? Andy Bell has a great voice and VInce Clarke is a genius on the synths.

It might be just me but I've never heard anyone saying anything about the singer being gay in Pet Shop boys or Erasure.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #356 on: August 21, 2013, 10:27:20 AM »
Here's something :

It might be just me but I've never heard anyone saying anything about the singer being gay in Pet Shop boys or Erasure.

It's just you, because (and I mean this in a non-offensive way) the lead singer in Erasure is one of the biggest flamers in the history of music. :lol  My brother was a big fan of theirs back in the 80s, and I remember him buying the one live video of theirs and his jaw dropping when he saw how the guy acted on stage.  Let's just say that he left no doubt as to what his sexual orientation was.  Not that there's anything wrong with that. #seinfeld

But I agree with Kotowboy's general point.  I think it is probably cause music like Queen or Judas Priest is seen as manly rock, while synth pop is seen as more girly, so it becomes easy (for some) to make fun of guys for listening to "girly" music that is fronted by a homosexual.  Stupid?  Absolutely.  But there is a lot of stupidity out there.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #357 on: August 21, 2013, 10:28:33 AM »
;D you don't have to be a fan of how someone acts on stage to enjoy their music.

Plus Vince is a nice guy - he always replies to me on Twitter. :) I recorded a rock cover of an Erasure song and he said he wanted to hear it and then he said that he loved it. :)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #358 on: August 21, 2013, 11:24:40 AM »
Here's something :

While I don't think people say that anymore... When they did, I imagine it was mostly because... I mean, regardless of how good Pet Show Boys or Erasure are... They're no freakin' Queen!

To be fair, I don't hear people saying, "Yeah, but the singer is gay," about Judas Priest either.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #359 on: August 21, 2013, 02:34:08 PM »
I've only ever heard that about the singer of Erasure. And of course Jimmy Somerville.
Freddie was always flamboyant, but more in a David Bowie sort of way.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #360 on: August 21, 2013, 03:09:28 PM »
Simple.  Queen made rock music and the people you knew like that style over the 80's synth pop.  People are weird like that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #361 on: August 21, 2013, 09:00:33 PM »
Gay or not, I LOVE the Pet Shop Boys!  :hat  Love Comes Quickly is still one of my all-time fav songs, among other by tPSB.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #362 on: August 22, 2013, 12:27:40 PM »
I'm not a huge fan. I always thought they were a bit dull compared to Erasure who were obviously a lot more flamboyant.

I always thought Erasure had the catchier songs and I love what Vince does on the synths. All the cool sounds he put in.

But I did have the " Very " album on CD back in the day with the weird embossed orange box.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #363 on: August 24, 2013, 07:49:35 PM »
It was always about the music for me. I'd take Queen over that stuff any day of the week. (I'd also take Joe Jackson, and The Fixx and The Alarm and Talk Talk too.)

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: August 25, 2013, 06:46:38 AM »
OT but the acoustic version of "Stand Of Fall" by The Fixx is godly.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #365 on: August 25, 2013, 07:01:31 AM »
Just saw The Fixx in April.  they were killer live.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #366 on: September 01, 2013, 02:14:11 PM »
OT but the acoustic version of "Stand Of Fall" by The Fixx is godly.

It's all good to me.

I don't have the new album yet (well I guess it really isn't new any more) but I've got everything else including the first Cy Curnin solo album.

Unfortunately I missed them live this year not knowing they were out on the road.  I guess we should probably find The Fixx thread, huh?

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #367 on: September 01, 2013, 04:10:32 PM »
Here's something :

Generally, people who say this didn't ever listened to real electronic music (pretty much like hip-hop, they only know the sh*t that plays on the radio)...
Perhaps they would change their opinions after listening to Violator, Selected Ambients or, in the case of Pet Shop Boys, Behaviour...
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #368 on: September 04, 2013, 05:49:08 PM »
Listened to some Queen on Google Play the other day, and the main picture they used caused me to create this meme:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #369 on: September 04, 2013, 08:22:59 PM »
Always thought there was a Lars Ulrich resemblance in Roger Taylor...

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #370 on: March 10, 2014, 08:01:03 PM »
Just bought some tickets to see Queen w/ Adam Lambert at the Mohegan Sun Arena in July

I can't wait to see Brian May live. PSYCHED

Offline jammindude

« Reply #371 on: March 10, 2014, 08:07:58 PM »
Here's something :

I can't believe I never saw this...but I know the reason.   

It doesn't matter to me one way or the other, but I think that it comes down to being perceived as being "studly" vs. being perceived as "femmy".     It's cool when Rob Halford rides out on his Harley with leather and studs....maybe wouldn't have gone over as well if it was a Mazda and a pink tu-tu. 

I'm not saying that The Pet Shop boys are *THAT* femmy...but they are closer to the latter than the former. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #372 on: March 10, 2014, 08:35:30 PM »
I know it's bordering on sexism (or homosexism or whatever you call it), or is probably over the line actually, but yeah, that's pretty much it.  To most people, especially in rock and roll, guys should act like guys.  Freddie was a fucking stud.  Rob Halford is a fucking stud.  What they did behind closed doors, and with whom, didn't much matter as long as they rocked out and were macho onstage.  The Pet Shop Boys are effeminate and, right or wrong, some people have trouble with that.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #373 on: March 10, 2014, 08:39:27 PM »
I know it's bordering on sexism (or homosexism or whatever you call it), or is probably over the line actually, but yeah, that's pretty much it. 

Neither one of us are advocating it....but I don't think making a factual observation of societal tendencies (right or wrong) is "over the line"...
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #374 on: May 27, 2014, 01:11:23 PM »
 :omg:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/queen-to-release-new-album-with-unreleased-freddie-mercury-songs-20140527

Queen guitarist Brian May stopped by BBC Radio ostensibly to discuss Diableries: Stereoscopic Adventures in Hell, his new book on 19th century French stereoscopic cards. But after detailing his lifelong love of the cards and their odd visions of hell, May revealed plans for a new Queen album featuring unreleased Freddie Mercury vocals from the Eighties.

Readers' Poll: 10 Greatest Queen Songs
Asked what his favorite Queen song ever recorded was, May said the answer changes every time, but "my favorite at the moment is 'Made in Heaven,' which was never a single but it's the title track off the [1995] album we made after Freddie was gone with all the pieces that were left.

"I've just been doing something very similar because we found a few more tracks with Freddie singing and all of us playing and they're quite beautiful. People will be hearing this work toward the end of the year."

May revealed the album will "probably" be called Queen Forever, with the material primarily taken from the Eighties "when we were in full flight." "It's a compilation but it will have this new material on which nobody in the world has ever heard and I think people will really enjoy it," said the guitarist. "It's the big, big epic sound. It wouldn’t have been if we hadn’t have done this restoration job. We only had scraps, but knowing how it would've happened had we finished it, I can sit there and make it happen with modern technology."

The guitarist also admitted that he has "secretly and quietly workshopped" a follow-up to We Will Rock You, the wildly successful musical based on the band's songs. "We are working on a sequel, yes," said May. "In fact, we've already very secretly and quietly workshopped, which means you stand it up and get people to sing it and act it. Everybody loved it, so we're looking for a theatre and we hope to have a sequel out there at some point. More than this, I cannot say. It's a little naughtier than the first one." We Will Rock You author Ben Elton will return for the sequel.

But before any of that, Queen will embark on a 19-date cross-country tour with Adam Lambert kicking off June 19th at Chicago's United Center and wrapping up July 20th at Washington D.C.'s Merriweather Post Pavilion. "This is the closest that you'll ever get to see Queen as it was in our golden days, but it's not a reproduction," May told Rolling Stone. "It's not an imitation. We're here live and real and we have a great singer. They'll be a lot of newness about this. I think that's very exciting. It'll be loud and dangerous and all the things that people used to look for in us."

Give it to me now!!!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #375 on: May 27, 2014, 03:30:14 PM »
80s Queen, I'll take that any day. Even the Miracle B-sides (e.g. Chinese Torture) were beyond cool.

Regarding the second part of the news item, man, I actually checked the prices for the Boston show. $52 for being in the absolute nosebleed section of TD Garden, where all you do is to watch the screens, because the band itself is just a tiny dot.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #376 on: May 27, 2014, 06:59:04 PM »
Eh, I'm more of a "The Game" and earlier Queen fan. Although the hits from the 80s and the later career just kept getting better and better, I think the songs on the rest of those albums suffered for it. I feel like NotW and Jazz, etc. are a lot more balanced.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #377 on: May 28, 2014, 02:47:19 AM »
New Queen songs? Shut up and take my money!

Greetings...
Nef

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #378 on: May 28, 2014, 10:51:07 AM »
Listening to Hot Space right now, it's astonishing how a band like Queen can create such a bad album.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: May 28, 2014, 11:37:36 AM »
Listening to Hot Space right now, it's astonishing how a band like Queen can create such a bad album.

Half of that album I can't even listen to.  Then they come out with The Works, which I love.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #380 on: May 28, 2014, 12:13:25 PM »
I think the crossover appeal of Another One Bites the Dust made them think, "Hey, if we write an entire album of songs like that...", but the problem was that not only did the album turn off the rock fans, but the pop/dance songs, aside from Under Pressure, were mostly crap, so there were no other hits to be found, and thus it was pretty much a failure on every level possible.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #381 on: May 28, 2014, 02:50:16 PM »
Also the lyrics are mostly cringeworthy. Like, how many sexual allusions can you squeeze into one album?
From what I understand, that phase was Freddie's most extreme "sex party" phase, and so the lyrics reflect that party attitude.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #382 on: May 28, 2014, 03:00:49 PM »
I think Innuendo is a great album. What a great way to go out.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: May 28, 2014, 03:22:59 PM »
Also the lyrics are mostly cringeworthy. Like, how many sexual allusions can you squeeze into one album?
From what I understand, that phase was Freddie's most extreme "sex party" phase, and so the lyrics reflect that party attitude.

The story of the line of guys dressed as sailors going into the dressing room. 

It felt like the Star trek thing in the 80's with the odd and even albums. (Not count Flash Gordon)

The Game - Brilliant.
Hot Space -- Ugh.
The Works -- Much better album
A Kind Of Magic - Spotty at best.
The Miracle -- Love this album

Finally they break this trend with -- Innuendo

« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 03:34:59 PM by kingshmegland »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #384 on: May 28, 2014, 03:26:18 PM »
Yeah, AKOM was spotty. Some really good tunes on it, but the lows are looooow.