Author Topic: The Queen Thread  (Read 102746 times)

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
Re: The Queen Thread
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2010, 11:18:19 AM »
No Synthesizers!
I was absolutely blown away upon finding this out when I got my copy of A Night at the Opera. :tup
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2010, 01:18:04 PM »
Songs like Seaside Rendezvous and '39 are incredible.

Ah, "Seaside Rendezvous"....how many rock bands could get away with doing a song like that and not having it sound ridiculous?  Not many.  That was the beauty of Queen...their variety and their diversity.  Really, you could make the argument that Queen was the most diverse rock band ever, when you factor in the wide range of styles they covered, not just over their career, but often times, on single albums.

I started with A Night at the Opera because "Bohemian Rhapsody" was on it, and it has that operetto section in it, so I thought that all their songs were like that.  Which in retrospect was pretty stupid to think, but hey, I was in junior high.

Anyway, I was totally blown away by the variety of styles, the stellar musicianship, the production, Freddy's incredible voice, and the two words which graced the early Queen albums:   No Synthesizers!

Holy shit, that means that he's doing all that on his guitar?!  Even better!  I love the part in "Good Company" where the break is an entire Dixieland band, all done on guitars.  Every song on that album is awesome.  I eventually picked up the entire discography, but A Night at the Opera will always be my favorite.

Brian May is a god.  I thought this was common knowledge already. ???

:biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline DREAMS FTIME45

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2010, 01:34:03 AM »
With all due respect to all you Queen fans out there Queen are not prog or metal and should not be on this forum or any metal/prog forum for that matter

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2010, 09:37:02 AM »
With no respect at all, since I have none for you, who the fuck are you to tell us who we can discuss?

Who the fuck are you anyway?

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2010, 09:39:28 AM »
With all due respect to all you Queen fans out there Queen are not prog or metal and should not be on this forum or any metal/prog forum for that matter

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2010, 09:43:21 AM »

Actually, Queen's first few albums dabbled in prog a bit. Although I wouldn't call them a prog band, they definitely maintained a lot of qualities of one.

And lol prog snob.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »
Eh, that guy was either being very sarcastic, or is just a really bad troll.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2010, 11:52:13 AM »
No, he's just an idiot.  He's the same guy who said every time you post anything on Facebook, it sends all your personal information "out there" for everyone to see.  I asked him what he meant by "out there" and how is this even possible, considering that a lot of people don't even enter all their personal information.  No answer.  He posted the same shit on the Yesfans board, and people actually took him seriously, which is sad, and I asked the same questions, and again got no answer.

Okay, I guess that makes him a really bad troll, too, as well as an idiot.

Offline DREAMS FTIME45

« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2010, 02:08:34 AM »
What I mean by Facebook sending information out there for all to see is Facebook now has the power to put all your information there for all to see every single time

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2010, 06:31:48 AM »
Slowly warming to Queen. There's still a lot of songs on the Best Ofs I don't much like (We Will Rock You, We Are the Champions, Radio Gaga, Flash, and a fair bit of the much later stuff from The Miracle and Innuendo), but there's quite a few songs I recognise from, you know, life in general, which I'm liking a bit more (I Want It All, It's a Hard Life, Don't Stop Me Now, Under Pressure), perhaps because they're within the context of other Queen songs or something.

As I do with a lot of Best Ofs, I've made a playlist with all of the songs in chronological order, and I'm fairly surprised how little material from A Night at the Opera and A Day at the Races are actually on here, considering those are the two albums that people talk about the most.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2010, 06:46:43 AM »
Also, there's a big fat real estate agent dude in my province who uses One Vision as his theme song. It's on the local ads every time you go to the movies.

ONE MAN

ONE GOAL

ONE MISSION

And when we went to see Inception, I leaned over to my brother and was like, "uh, I don't think that's just one man." True story.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2010, 06:57:43 AM »
(We Will Rock You, We Are the Champions, Radio Gaga, Flash, and a fair bit of the much later stuff from The Miracle and Innuendo)

I'm not a huge fan of those songs either, and I consider myself a pretty big Queen fan.

Glad to hear you're warming up to them! Greatest Hits is a great place to start for Queen, but might I recommend you go to one of their albums next? "Queen II" "A Night At The Opera" "News of the World" and "Jazz" are all great choices. Actually, any album up to and including "The Game" would work. After that, their albums start to get a lot more iffy (although they still made a lot of great songs after The Game!).

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2010, 07:21:39 AM »
As I do with a lot of Best Ofs, I've made a playlist with all of the songs in chronological order, and I'm fairly surprised how little material from A Night at the Opera and A Day at the Races are actually on here, considering those are the two albums that people talk about the most.

That's because Queen did have a lot of hits, but their albums are where they really shine.  A Night at the Opera and A Day at the Races are solid, all the way through.  One great song after another, and there's a flow to them, with songs often running into each other seamlessly.  Also, Queen got about as prog as you can get without being generally classified as a prog band.  Some of their songs get pretty out there, but they ease you into it.

Their various Greatest Hits collections are fine, but aren't really representative.  You need to listen to an album or two to get what Queen were really about.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2010, 07:47:34 AM »

I don't miss this guy.

On topic: Queen is awesome and I need more of their albums.  Brian May is a god.

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2010, 08:24:51 AM »

but seriously, Queen is great. I love Brian May, I love Freddie.
Just a great band.
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2010, 08:37:14 AM »
This is very true:

That's because Queen did have a lot of hits, but their albums are where they really shine.  A Night at the Opera and A Day at the Races are solid, all the way through.  One great song after another, and there's a flow to them, with songs often running into each other seamlessly.  Also, Queen got about as prog as you can get without being generally classified as a prog band.  Some of their songs get pretty out there, but they ease you into it.

Their various Greatest Hits collections are fine, but aren't really representative.  You need to listen to an album or two to get what Queen were really about.

And so is this:

Brian May is a god.

:hat :hat :hat

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2010, 02:43:43 PM »
I know this is the minority view, but I personally tend to think of Queen as more of a singles band than an album one. I know a few of their albums are legendary, and their music usually fits in better within the context of their albums, but I find myself preferring their individual songs over their albums. Maybe it is because their great songs are so great, and the lesser songs I find, well, much lesser. But I do appreciate how each album has its own sound while still sounding like Queen.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2010, 05:35:57 AM »
Prophet's Song FTW.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2010, 07:36:30 AM »
Hell yeah! :metal

And now I know
And now I know
And now I know
And now I know that you can hear me

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2010, 08:14:34 AM »
Prophet's Song FTW.

Good song, but not even close to being one of their best. :)

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2010, 10:05:17 AM »
Can't agree.  It is definitely one of their best.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2010, 01:03:38 PM »
Listening to Seaside Rendezvous now, such a cool song.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline John94

« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2010, 01:11:23 PM »
Innuendo is such an awesome song. Great vocals and instrumentation.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2010, 01:46:57 PM »
Party + Kashoggi's Ship always have a special place in my ear.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2010, 02:50:33 PM »
Party + Kashoggi's Ship always have a special place in my ear.

rumborak

Same, infact it is one of my most listened to Queen songs according to last.fm. The transition between the two tracks always gets me.

My friend and I listened to Sheer Heart Attack last night. I forgot how amazing that album is.  :metal

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2010, 10:17:45 PM »
This thread made me bust out my Innuendo album. I love Queen. No matter what mood I'm in, I can listen to them. Any time. Any day.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2010, 09:51:28 PM »
Bumpage.

Queen/Freddie fans.... today (November 24) marks the 19th anniversary of Freddie Mercury's death.

Will be doing my annual rememberance of Freddie by lighting some incense and playing through every Queen album.  :tup

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2010, 10:18:35 PM »
Bumpage.

Queen/Freddie fans.... today (November 24) marks the 19th anniversary of Freddie Mercury's death.

Will be doing my annual rememberance of Freddie by lighting some incense and playing through every Queen album.  :tup
:tup  :'( :metal

R.I.P the greatest vocalist in rock music history.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2010, 10:22:07 PM »
I need to get something by these guys!

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2010, 10:23:32 PM »
A Night at the Opera. Now.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2010, 10:24:18 PM »
^ That.

And afterwards check out Queen II. It is always in constant combat with "Opera" for my favorite Queen album.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2010, 10:25:07 PM »
OOOoooOOOOH YOU MAKE ME LIVE!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2010, 10:27:24 AM »
Prophet's Song FTW.
My favorite Queen song followed by Death on Two Legs.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline masterthes

« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2010, 03:34:51 PM »
Can't believe it's been almost 20 years

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2010, 03:53:12 PM »
Up to Jazz now...I think I'm gonna do all of the studio albums and then swing back and hit "At The BBC" "Flash Gordon" and the live albums.

I always end up crying by the end of Innuendo. :(