Author Topic: The Queen Thread  (Read 104029 times)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Queen Thread
« Reply #210 on: February 05, 2012, 08:02:08 AM »
He's a pretty good singer, even though the solo songs I've heard from him have been, IMO, pretty bad.  There was a video of him with Queen playing The Show Must Go On somewhere and it was pretty awesome.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #211 on: February 24, 2012, 12:02:46 PM »
I find it saddening how much flak Adam Lambert is getting. Give him a chance, I bet you he will be amazing. Ugh, fans right?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline tofee35

« Reply #212 on: February 24, 2012, 12:25:42 PM »
I have to check out Adam Lambert. But, I think they should consider bringing Marc Martel out in the future. Let him prove himself on the Queen Extravaganza cover band project, then bring him out. That guy is oozing with talent, and he's got a fantastic attitude too.

Offline SirVoltage

• DTF secret member
« Reply #213 on: February 24, 2012, 12:55:48 PM »
I'm sure Lambert will do just a fine job, if he can cope with all the shit he's going to get.

That said, Brian and Roger played the Prince's trust rock gala a couple of years ago with the guy from Keane, Tom Chaplin.
See what you think..
It's A Hard Life

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #214 on: February 24, 2012, 05:33:16 PM »
Man, awesome. Somebody uploaded the whole Montreal concert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJxBU7FGtf4

rumborak

I decided to check this out as I always blank,while I'm on YouTube. The part where the lights go down was amazing. Saddened it will never be again.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline SeventhSon

« Reply #215 on: March 07, 2012, 07:42:10 PM »
A bit of a bump, but I just picked up A Night at the Opera over the weekend (my first Queen album) and I absolutely love it. I've heard all the hits a hundred times over, and Queen felt like one of those bands I would totally adore if I got into their stuff. So far, I'm right. The other cuts on the album are just as good as the hits, and I feel like this is a band I need to get more into.

I guess my question is, where do I go from here? Queen II? Sheer Heart Attack? I tend to avoid best-of compilations if I can help it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #216 on: March 07, 2012, 09:12:05 PM »
Yes, Queen II or Sheer Heart Attack would both be good choices to follow up.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #217 on: March 07, 2012, 09:15:19 PM »
I got Sheer Heart Attack along with ANATO. I'm sure you know DT's Queen medley, those three songs are on that album. As well as some other gems. Queen II is a pretty progressive album, so that might be a good one. Every album (except Hot Space and The Miracle. :tdwn) is worth the listen though.

Another way you can go about it is by continuing with albums from around the ANATO period, since you've already got that album. You would probably enjoy these 6 the most:
Queen
Queen II
Sheer Heart Attack
A Day at the Races
News of the World
Jazz
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #218 on: March 07, 2012, 11:38:41 PM »
The first five albums are all must-haves (I, II, Sheer Heart Attack, A Night at the Opera and A Day at the Races), and I think Innuendo belongs in that category as well. 

The Game, News of the World and A Kind of Magic are all really good as well.

Jazz is overrated, save for a handful of great tunes.

Ignore Hot Space like the plague.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #219 on: March 07, 2012, 11:45:20 PM »
The first five albums are all must-haves (I, II, Sheer Heart Attack, A Night at the Opera and A Day at the Races), and I think Innuendo belongs in that category as well.
I love Innuendo. The title track is my favorite Queen song.

The Game, News of the World and A Kind of Magic are all really good as well.
A Kind of Magic and The Game are great. But I think SeventhSon should try the older albums first.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: March 08, 2012, 07:53:17 AM »
A bit of a bump, but I just picked up A Night at the Opera over the weekend (my first Queen album) and I absolutely love it. I've heard all the hits a hundred times over, and Queen felt like one of those bands I would totally adore if I got into their stuff. So far, I'm right. The other cuts on the album are just as good as the hits, and I feel like this is a band I need to get more into.

I guess my question is, where do I go from here? Queen II? Sheer Heart Attack? I tend to avoid best-of compilations if I can help it.

Yeah, I started out with ANATO and followed it with Sheer Heart Attack.  Queen II is more of a grower than those other two, I think. 

So yeah I still have a huge boner for Queen.  A few of my favorite songs so far (in no order)

Teo Torriate
Bohemian Rhapsody
Sheer Heart Attack
The Prophet's Song
Tie Your Mother Down
The Millionaire Waltz
Tenement Funster/Flick of the Wrist/Lily of the Valley
'39
Fairy Feller's Masterstroke/Nevermore
The Show Must Go On
Stone Cold Crazy
In the Lap of the Gods (Revisted)
Don't Stop Me Now

Album rankings of what I have so far:
A Night at the Opera
Sheer Heart Attack
A Day at the Races
Queen II
News of the World

And I still need more!  Gonna get Queen I, Jazz, and Innuendo next, I think. 

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #221 on: March 09, 2012, 11:49:35 AM »
Bohemian Rhapsody just played on my ipod.  :metal

My sister and I have a pact that when that song plays YOU DROP EVERYTHING YOU'RE DOING and sing/dance through the entire song.  :rina:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: March 29, 2012, 09:06:52 AM »
This sounds intriguing:

https://www.queenonline.com/en/news-archive/press-release-queen-extravaganza-tour-dates-announced/

If tickets are cheap (which I doubt) I might check it out when the come to Tampa.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #224 on: March 29, 2012, 09:13:46 AM »
Looks like tickets are only 30-40 bucks, which is cheaper than I would have thought.  I've already sent a text to a handful of friends whom I think might want to go, so I'll be interested to see the feedback from them. 

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: March 29, 2012, 09:15:56 AM »
30-40 isn't bad at all. If I can get a few friends together it may be worth checking out. I'll be looking for some youtube clips to see what the show is like as well.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #226 on: March 29, 2012, 12:44:18 PM »
This sounds intriguing:

https://www.queenonline.com/en/news-archive/press-release-queen-extravaganza-tour-dates-announced/

The only good thing I see about this is the involvement of Jeff Scott Soto. Great singer, great performer.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #227 on: March 31, 2012, 11:51:46 AM »
Tickets have been bought! My older brother and two friends are going with me. This should be a blast. :coolio

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #228 on: March 31, 2012, 12:48:10 PM »
That's really dumb, Brian and Roger won't even be performing? I was hoping it would be the two of them with a couple different vocalists, sort of like the Freddie tribute they did back in the early 90s. I would go pay to see that, but not this.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #229 on: March 31, 2012, 01:41:01 PM »
Yeah, it's "The Official Queen Tribute Show, Produced by Queen Drummer Roger Taylor".  In plain English, that translates to "cash grab".

I'm sure it will be an evening of great music, performed by some very talented guys, and it's good that it has the involvement of at least someone actually from Queen, but it's basically like the live performance of a tribute album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #230 on: April 01, 2012, 11:25:30 AM »
Maybe so, but tickets were only $39.50 after the service charges, and I think we will get our money's worth. Even if it is essentially just a tribute band, 40 bucks to hear two hours plus of Queen's best stuff performed well is a steal if you ask me. :)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #231 on: April 01, 2012, 04:44:56 PM »
It'll be a great show, for sure.  Whether it's worth 40 bucks is up to one's particular financial situation, I suppose.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #232 on: June 05, 2012, 12:00:09 PM »
Well, we'll be seeing the Queen Extravaganza tonight.  Should be good fun! :tup :tup

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #233 on: June 05, 2012, 12:03:45 PM »
Yeah, I heard it's her Diamond Jubilee.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #234 on: June 06, 2012, 01:31:45 AM »
 I remember thinking during the playing of God Save the Queen: Freddie should've been there.  :'(
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #235 on: June 06, 2012, 07:54:26 AM »
Killer show last night!  Fantastic job all-around, and that main singer, Marc Martel, did a great Freddie impression, mannerisms and all, and just needed the stache and he would have looked just like him, too! :lol

Great set list:

Set 1:
The Prophet's Song (middle section from the A Night at the Opera album as the intro)
Tie Your Mother Down
Now I'm Here
Killer Queen
Love of My Life
I Want It All
Bicycle Race
I Want to Break Free
March of the Black Queen
Dragon Attack
You Take My Breath Away
Save Me
Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon
I'm in Love with My Car
Bohemian Rhapsody

Set 2:
One Vision
A Kind of Magic
Don't Stop Me Now
Under Pressure
Who Wants to Live Forever
Another Bites the Dust
You're My Best Friend
In the Lap of the Gods
In the Lap of the Gods Revisited
Stone Cold Crazy
The Show Must Go On
Radio Ga Ga
Fat Bottomed Girls
Somebody to Love

Encore:
We Will Rock You
We Are the Champions

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: June 06, 2012, 08:39:02 AM »
Those songs look so good that I'm considering looking at dates near me...

EDIT: Nope.  Nothing :(

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #237 on: June 06, 2012, 05:24:24 PM »
Bummer.  It is definitely worth seeing, especially for the relatively inexpensive price!

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #238 on: June 06, 2012, 05:43:49 PM »
Good set, The Prophet's Song is one of the greatest thing to  come out of the 70s so that must have been awesome to see.  :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #239 on: June 06, 2012, 05:47:04 PM »
Well, to clarify, they didn't play The Prophet's Song.  The middle section with all of the overlapping vocal harmonies was simply played straight from the ANATO CD while the band hit the stage in the dark and then as soon as that section ended, bam, the lights came up and they went right into Tie Your Mother Down.

Aside from Keep Yourself Alive and Hammer to Fall, the two major ones that weren't played, I was also hoping for Liar and '39, which we didn't get, but we did get an excerpt from March of the Black Queen and both In the Lap of the Gods tunes, so that was awesome.  :coolio

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #240 on: June 06, 2012, 05:54:08 PM »
...Oh. :(

Well, March of The Black Queen is my second favorite Queen song so that is just as good!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: June 06, 2012, 07:01:01 PM »
Oh.  I was about to say that would be a helluvan entrance for the singer to do that awesome middle section live just to show everyone they weren't fucking around.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #242 on: June 06, 2012, 10:30:19 PM »
It'll be a great show, for sure.  Whether it's worth 40 bucks is up to one's particular financial situation, I suppose.

Glad a good time was had by all, but there's no way a tribute band gets that much from me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #243 on: June 07, 2012, 12:15:56 AM »
To each his own, but I thought it was money well spent.  There have been concerts I've spent more money on that I didn't have nearly as much fun at or enjoy as much.  Like I said before, there is no chance of seeing the real Queen again, and this is the next best thing, so I was more than happy to pay that price.  Plus, a band like Queen has so many songs that everyone knows, that the whole crowd is totally engaged and into the show from start to finish, as opposed to seeing a band that plays a lot of songs that a lot of concert goes do not know that well, and it is easy to feed off of that energy and enjoy the show more.  Rocking out and singing along with friends AND total strangers on the floor to songs everyone knows is fun as hell! :)

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #244 on: June 07, 2012, 03:12:30 AM »
Holy shit! Prophet song AND March of the Black Queen?  :omg: :o

From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....