Author Topic: The Queen Thread  (Read 102652 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Queen Thread
« Reply #175 on: December 28, 2011, 11:54:18 AM »
So true.  Under Pressure is great, but the rest of Hot Space is definitely pretty forgettable. 

I'll have to check out the Montreal stuff.  I've been debating about getting that DVD for a while now.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #176 on: December 28, 2011, 12:00:04 PM »
It's interesting to see in that documentary how Hot Space came about. Freddie kinda descended into the gay scene and was exposed to a lot of dance club music, so he pushed for that sound in Hot Space.

What's also really interesting about Queen is, despite their incredible success as a group, none of them managed to get any decent solo career off the ground, not even Freddie.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #177 on: December 28, 2011, 12:20:47 PM »
Hot Space has a few awesome tracks... Under Pressure, Staying Power, and Las Palabras de Amor (The Words of Love) are all awesome. Definitely lower tier for Queen though... that and A Kind of Magic are probably my bottom two. The Works and The Miracle are very underrated.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #178 on: December 28, 2011, 12:23:51 PM »
I actually like Brian May's Another World solo album quite a bit.  I rarely think to listen to it anymore, but whenever I do, I enjoy most of it quite a bit. 

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #179 on: December 28, 2011, 12:42:12 PM »
Man, Hot Space is one terrible album. If it weren't for Under Pressure you could throw away the whole album.

rumborak

Yeah, in that thread I made about moments when bands blew it, someone mentioned Hot Space as being when Queen did and I wholly support that notion. Worse for it, Under Pressure was actually released as a single the year before, and appeared on the US version of the Greatest Hits album, so its presence on Hot Space was redundant in most markets.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #180 on: December 28, 2011, 02:34:27 PM »
I actually like Brian May's Another World solo album quite a bit.  I rarely think to listen to it anymore, but whenever I do, I enjoy most of it quite a bit.

A couple of tunes from Into the Light weren't bad either, especially "Resurrection":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X9kajEHAwo&feature=related

Problem is, IMHO, Brian is a great backup singer, but as a lead singer, not so much.

rumborak

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: December 28, 2011, 08:28:43 PM »
I was looking for this thread but I just found a bunch of Queensryche crap.  Glad it was on the front page.

Anyways, for xmas money I bought A Night at the Opera (I know, I'm way way behind) and I really like it.  First full-length, non-Greatest Hits Queen album.  I just bought Sheer Heart Attack and Queen II as well.  I'm excited to hear them. 

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #182 on: December 28, 2011, 08:36:49 PM »
You're unlikely to find yourself disappointed.

Also, if you find these albums real enjoyable, I'd heavily recommend A Day At The Races. 

It isn't ANatO, but it comes close. 

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #183 on: December 29, 2011, 06:07:51 AM »

Problem is, IMHO, Brian is a great backup singer, but as a lead singer, not so much.

I STRONGLY disagree.

Kosmo

« Reply #184 on: December 29, 2011, 07:05:06 AM »

I STRONGLY disagree.
Yuppers, I really like Brian's vocals. Mother Love is a pretty good example.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #185 on: December 29, 2011, 07:29:03 AM »
Well I think Rumbo is saying compaired to Freddie he pails in comparision.  Honestly he has a good voice for lead but not great.  But he does have a great voice for backing vocals.

Some of my favorite bands just have good singers and that's ok by me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #186 on: December 29, 2011, 10:28:26 AM »

I STRONGLY disagree.
Yuppers, I really like Brian's vocals. Mother Love is a pretty good example.

When he sings low he can be alright. But when he tries to go for higher notes his voice thins out massively.
To each their own I guess. Just never was my thing.

rumborak

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #187 on: December 29, 2011, 11:18:18 AM »
Well I think Rumbo is saying compaired to Freddie he pails in comparision.

Compared to Freddie, almost EVERYONE pales in comparison.  :lol Brian is an awesome singer, and almost all of the songs he sings lead on would be included in my favorite Queen tracks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: December 29, 2011, 11:56:51 AM »
Oh I know! :lol  But over the long haul Brian is an average singer.  That's ok because his guitar playing is unreal.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #189 on: December 29, 2011, 12:38:40 PM »
Brian May's voice obviously couldn't touch the power of Freddie Mercury's, or even Roger Taylor's, but it is still had a nice, warm quality that makes it enjoyable to listen to.  I never hear him sing something and think, "He is trying to do too much or something he is incapable of doing."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: December 29, 2011, 01:49:25 PM »
Brian May's voice obviously couldn't touch the power of Freddie Mercury's, or even Roger Taylor's, but it is still had a nice, warm quality that makes it enjoyable to listen to.  I never hear him sing something and think, "He is trying to do too much or something he is incapable of doing."

Oh and I agree.  But guy's voices like that tend to be great harmony singers and with Queen, it sure did work well.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #191 on: December 29, 2011, 05:16:39 PM »
I never liked Taylor's singing, he did a great job with the harmonies but his lead singing never did anything for me. May, on the other hand, while having a pretty limited range had an incredibly warm beautiful tone to his voice.

I'm also really disappointed that May never sang live in Queen's heyday... him performing Love of My Life on the Q+PR tour was one of the most beautiful concert experiences I have had.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #192 on: December 30, 2011, 09:23:57 AM »
I think the problem when Taylor was singing lead vocals for a whole song was that he was easily the least best songwriter of the four, so he was often singing fairly average tunes.  Songs like The Loser in the End and Sheer Heart Attack definitely stand out, to me, as the least best songs from otherwise very good or great albums.  Of course, Tenement Funster and I'm in Love with My Car are both great, so that wasn't always the case, but overall I agree that his voice as a lead didn't have the engaging warmth that May's did (when talking about lead vocals not done by Freddie).  His high notes during harmonies were outrageously awesome, though.  He does that crazy high note at the end of the Bohemian Rhapsody middle section, and those high notes he hit in In the Lap of the Gods are bananas.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: December 31, 2011, 11:49:22 AM »
Holy crap Prophey's Song is so cool.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #194 on: December 31, 2011, 11:57:53 AM »
It is. One of their best IMO.

AND NOW I KNOW... NOW I KNOW.... NOW I KNOW

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #195 on: December 31, 2011, 04:29:18 PM »
Yeah, it's my favorite song from A Night at the Opera, maybe my favorite of all.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: December 31, 2011, 04:33:16 PM »
Yeah, it's one of my favourites too.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: January 02, 2012, 05:59:05 AM »
Yeah, it's one of my favourites too.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: January 06, 2012, 02:08:38 PM »

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: January 22, 2012, 11:34:02 AM »
For the past two or three weeks I have had a boner for nothing but Queen.  Listening to A Day at the Races for the first time now.  Tie Your Mother down is so damn good.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #200 on: January 22, 2012, 12:03:09 PM »
I love going through that annual Queen phase. :coolio

Aside from Tie Your Mother Down, whose greatness goes without saying, I've always been partial to Long Away, White Man and Teo Torriatte from that record. 

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #201 on: January 22, 2012, 12:04:50 PM »
Teo Torriatte is one of my favorites from that album too. Parts of it are so ethereal sounding. Hauntingly beautiful.  :heart

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: January 22, 2012, 12:27:46 PM »
Long Away is my favourite from that album. Such a wonderful song.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: January 22, 2012, 01:22:28 PM »
Teo Torriatte was super cool.  News of the World is almost finished.  Why didn't I get more into these guys during my "all modern music sucks classic rock is the only good music" phase? :(

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #204 on: January 22, 2012, 01:41:22 PM »
Teo Torriatte was super cool.  News of the World is almost finished.  Why didn't I get more into these guys during my "all modern music sucks classic rock is the only good music" phase? :(

I dunno, they were like the first band I got into during that phase.  :lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #205 on: January 23, 2012, 07:23:19 PM »
I'm glad I missed that phase...

I'm in my good music is good and bad music is bad phase....

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #206 on: January 24, 2012, 02:16:49 AM »

I kinda agree. I don't think his voice is particularly suited to heavy rock singing and it always sounds a bit wobbly when he's trying to put some oomph into it.

However, I think he was the perfect fit for songs such as '39 and Good Company where it's light, folksy singing and I'm glad he sang lead for those rather than have Freddie do them.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #207 on: February 04, 2012, 08:41:23 PM »
Looks like Adam Lambert is fronting Queen for a summer tour. Thoughts? I don't think he has a bad voice at all. It could work.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #208 on: February 04, 2012, 08:46:59 PM »
I don't care for him. He's always seemed to me to be outrageous just for the sake of being outrageous, which isn't something I respect in a performer.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: February 04, 2012, 09:11:11 PM »
Looks like Adam Lambert is fronting Queen for a summer tour. Thoughts? I don't think he has a bad voice at all. It could work.

Honestly I haven't heard him sing (I probably have but I just don't know it's him)

I'll check it out.