Author Topic: The Queen Thread  (Read 102745 times)

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
Re: The Queen Thread
« Reply #140 on: September 23, 2011, 12:21:50 PM »
So... should I go for the two boxsets on Amazon? Amazingly, I love Queen but own none of their albums.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #141 on: September 23, 2011, 12:40:33 PM »
Those boxes are sweet.  I'd jump on them if I had the cash, and didn't already have most of the individual albums.

So... Yes.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #142 on: September 23, 2011, 12:49:56 PM »
^ Yup. They look pretty cool, but I already have every Queen album on CD and all of them up until The Game on vinyl, so I personally just can't justify spending all that money on the boxsets.

I downloaded the bonus tracks for the first couple albums, but never listened to them... hm... maybe I will tonight.  :hat

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: September 23, 2011, 02:38:40 PM »
Has anybody seen this cover?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dREKkAk628I&feature=youtu.be
This is one of the best covers I've ever heard! He's absolutely stellar.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #144 on: September 26, 2011, 11:48:19 AM »
Has anybody seen this cover?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dREKkAk628I&feature=youtu.be
This is one of the best covers I've ever heard! He's absolutely stellar.
I think the more appropriate word here is:

Fabulous
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #145 on: October 08, 2011, 11:53:55 PM »
Is this shit about Lady Gaga joining Queen for real?

I'd heard that Brian May is a money-grubbing motherfucker, but I didn't know it was this bad.  At the very least, they could call it something other than Queen. 

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #146 on: October 08, 2011, 11:57:46 PM »
wait wut
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Kosmo

« Reply #148 on: October 09, 2011, 03:08:47 AM »
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/brian_may_wants_lady_gaga_to_join_queen.html
Could be interesting, Gaga actually does have talent even though it isn't all that apparent in her own music. But I can't help but feel that this shouldn't be Queen but rather just a May / Gaga collab.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #149 on: October 09, 2011, 07:25:25 AM »
 :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I support Brian May continuing to make music... but he should do solo or form a new band. Stop clinging to the Queen name. Queen died in 1991. And their career was amazing... Q+PR's new album was NOT.

As for Gaga, well... at least she is talented. I prefer her over PR at any rate.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: October 09, 2011, 11:40:01 AM »
I think it would be cool for May and Taylor to do a collaboration with Lady Gaga and do a tour doing that stuff plus the Queen classics.  Gaga is actually quite talented and loves Queen, so it makes sense.  But there's a reason John Deacon refuses to partake in these Queen "reunions."  It ain't Queen without Freddie, plain and simple.

Also, regarding Q+PR, did anyone else think that their single C-lebrity sounded just like "The Metal" by Tenacious D?

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: October 09, 2011, 01:43:43 PM »
I think it would be cool for May and Taylor to do a collaboration with Lady Gaga and do a tour doing that stuff plus the Queen classics.  Gaga is actually quite talented and loves Queen, so it makes sense.  But there's a reason John Deacon refuses to partake in these Queen "reunions."  It ain't Queen without Freddie, plain and simple.

Also, regarding Q+PR, did anyone else think that their single C-lebrity sounded just like "The Metal" by Tenacious D?

I'd be down for this but it shouldn't be called Queen especially without Freddie and John.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #152 on: October 10, 2011, 11:50:04 PM »
I think it's a shame they never took George Michael out for a tour featuring Queen songs, like they did with Paul Rodgers.  Anyone who saw the Freddie Mercury tribute concert and heard how great a job he did on Somebody to Love knows that he could have done justice to just about any Queen song out there. 

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #153 on: October 11, 2011, 10:18:38 AM »

I dunno, I've tried to erase that album out of memory.  :lol

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: October 11, 2011, 11:07:11 AM »
I think it's a shame they never took George Michael out for a tour featuring Queen songs, like they did with Paul Rodgers.  Anyone who saw the Freddie Mercury tribute concert and heard how great a job he did on Somebody to Love knows that he could have done justice to just about any Queen song out there. 

I just watched the Freddie Mercury tribute concert and you're right, he is amazing.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #155 on: October 16, 2011, 09:48:34 PM »

I dunno, I've tried to erase that album out of memory.  :lol

You're not the only one!

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #156 on: December 05, 2011, 02:42:20 AM »
Currently on an 'old' Queen trip. Just bought and listened to Queen 1, Queen II is next.
After that News of the Wold....awesome band, unique in sound, dynamic and composition. No other band ever came close.  :metal
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: December 05, 2011, 01:38:51 PM »
sigh... listening to 'My Baby Does Me' at this very moment and thinking.... people must have had guts to have made music after this guy existed!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #158 on: December 05, 2011, 01:54:59 PM »

I just watched the Freddie Mercury tribute concert and you're right, he is amazing.

I always thought that too Kev.  As good as a singer Paul Rodgers is.  He's a blues singer.  It always felt like a round peg in a square hole.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #159 on: December 05, 2011, 05:27:45 PM »
Speaking of Queen covers, check this guy out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=OUQ2iA0rBWc

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: December 05, 2011, 06:05:31 PM »
Wow. The guy is really good. But the Aussie accent no.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #161 on: December 05, 2011, 07:14:53 PM »

I always thought that too Kev.  As good as a singer Paul Rodgers is.  He's a blues singer.  It always felt like a round peg in a square hole.

Paul Rogers is/was one of the best at what he does.  Trying to sandpaper the edges off of Queen is not on his resume.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #162 on: December 06, 2011, 12:00:14 AM »
I think it's actually for the best that Paul Rodgers isn't too close to Freddie in terms of delivery. This way when you see them live, it doesn't feel like some old fogeys trying to relive the past by hiring a guy who sings just like Freddie, but rather some old fogeys who just enjoy playing the songs live, but always making it clear that it is something very different from the Queen with Freedie Mercury.

rumborak

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: December 06, 2011, 07:03:05 AM »
I think it's actually for the best that Paul Rodgers isn't too close to Freddie in terms of delivery. This way when you see them live, it doesn't feel like some old fogeys trying to relive the past by hiring a guy who sings just like Freddie, but rather some old fogeys who just enjoy playing the songs live, but always making it clear that it is something very different from the Queen with Freedie Mercury.

rumborak

I'd much rather see them as a new outfit making new music.  It didn't seem right with the Queen sound and songs.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #164 on: December 06, 2011, 07:07:28 AM »
I like the hits more than anything, plus maybe one or two more obscure tracks like Seaside Rendezvous. I just can't get into Father to Son though.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #165 on: December 27, 2011, 09:51:49 AM »
Man, awesome. Somebody uploaded the whole Montreal concert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJxBU7FGtf4

rumborak

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: December 27, 2011, 10:46:59 AM »
Awesome!  :o
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #167 on: December 27, 2011, 11:13:13 AM »
I already have it on DVD and blu ray.  :biggrin:

Still doesn't touch Wembley imo.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #168 on: December 27, 2011, 03:44:53 PM »
Aw man, and then I saw on Youtube that somebody uploaded the whole BBC documentary on Queen!!

Awesome documentary, and some unseen footage of Freddie shortly before his death, during the music video shooting. Man, they pasted so much foundation on him, scary.

rumborak

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: December 27, 2011, 03:47:48 PM »
Yeah, I saw that.  Great Doc.  The album Innuendo, is such a lasting memory with Freddie's lyrics.  What a swan song as an album knowing all too well that he was not long for this earth.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #170 on: December 27, 2011, 04:22:08 PM »
I already have it on DVD and blu ray.  :biggrin:

Still doesn't touch Wembley imo.

I don't know about that.  I have the Blu-ray of Montreal + Live Aid, and the two of them combined give Wembley a run for the money.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: December 27, 2011, 07:21:23 PM »
I don't want to discredit George Michael, but that performance was done half-tone down. But who cares anyway, Queen changed the tone on many songs while on tour because Freddie smoked heavy tar. It would have been an incredible tour. (Though I still do agree with the whole Deacon approach after FM's death.)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #172 on: December 28, 2011, 12:15:40 AM »
Man, awesome. Somebody uploaded the whole Montreal concert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJxBU7FGtf4

rumborak

WOW

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: December 28, 2011, 01:03:36 AM »
YAY!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #174 on: December 28, 2011, 10:50:30 AM »
Man, Hot Space is one terrible album. If it weren't for Under Pressure you could throw away the whole album.

rumborak