Author Topic: Insomnium  (Read 16264 times)

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
Re: Insomnium
« Reply #105 on: July 08, 2022, 12:06:27 PM »
Amazing band. Very consistent, amazing melodies and the emotion behind the music is unique. It's nice to see an old band being at the top of their career (with Heart like a grave). I feel like they are getting more progressive recently and they do it so well.

Also, I read the whole thread and didn't see anyone mentionning something about the lyrics. I love them. It's like taking a great dark poem and putting this into addictive music. I'm so impressed.

+ I've been looking for band that would generate the same feeling/vibe but it's hard to find. Glow by Countless Skies and Despartire by Cloud (slower and more doom but still great melodies and emotion) worked for me but other than that not much. Feel free to recommend some more!
Funny how everything was Roses
When we held on to the Guns
Just because you're winnin'
Don't mean you're the lucky one

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #106 on: July 08, 2022, 12:48:36 PM »
+ I've been looking for band that would generate the same feeling/vibe but it's hard to find. Glow by Countless Skies and Despartire by Cloud (slower and more doom but still great melodies and emotion) worked for me but other than that not much. Feel free to recommend some more!
It's surpringly hard - Insomnium aren't exactly unique stylistically speaking, but there's something really special about how they craft their songs with such beautiful melancholy that no other similar bands quite compare.

Another band that comes to mind that I love for similar reasons is Enshine. Their two full lengths are definitely worth a listen. I'll have a think about whether there are any others.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #107 on: July 08, 2022, 01:01:20 PM »

It's surpringly hard - Insomnium aren't exactly unique stylistically speaking, but there's something really special about how they craft their songs with such beautiful melancholy that no other similar bands quite compare.

Another band that comes to mind that I love for similar reasons is Enshine. Their two full lengths are definitely worth a listen. I'll have a think about whether there are any others.

+1 for Enshine

Also agreed on Countless Skies...

Insomnium's first couple of albums had some influence from Amorphis' Tales from the Thousand Lake album, I think. That's a top, top album for me, so if you haven't heard it yet, definitely check it out.

Omnium Gatherum's New World Shadows too...they are more on the death metal end of the "melodic death metal" genre, but they do have that melancholic streak that makes them not too dissimilar in mood. I wouldn't say that of all of their albums, but...Shadows kind of fits that mold. Plus, it's excellent, so it doesn't hurt  ;)

Another band from Finland that really nails a similar, melancholic mood is the now-defunct Rapture. They have three full-lengths, Futile, Songs for the Withering and Silent Stage. All very, very good. The debut is maybe more in the vein of early Katatonia (think Brave Murder Day).  Some former members have come back as Counting Hours. They released an album in 2020, The Will, and that's great as well.

I'm a sucker for this kind of sound, so I'll think a bit more on it...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 02:03:42 PM by nick_z »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #108 on: July 08, 2022, 01:55:18 PM »
Yeah Omnium Gatherum have their moments for sure, and of course are a sister band to Insomnium. But definitely not as rich and melancholic in their sound.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #109 on: July 08, 2022, 02:20:14 PM »
A couple of other bands that have similarities, maybe slightly on the heavier/darker side:

In Mourning - especially their last couple of albums.

Shylmagoghnar - especially their album Transience. Not as consistently "pretty" as Insomnium, but has some grand and really beautiful stuff.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #110 on: July 08, 2022, 02:35:47 PM »

I've really liked what I heard from In Mourning...their first two albums Shrouded Divine and Monolith, then Afterglow. I also gave their most recent one a listen, but I have to revisit.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #111 on: July 08, 2022, 05:07:16 PM »

Yeah Enshine are great and the various offshoot bands/projects that it has produced.
Go back even further to Finnish band Rapture (active 1999 - 2005) who made three thoroughly depressing brilliant albums in that same sort of style.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #112 on: July 08, 2022, 07:03:29 PM »

Yeah Enshine are great and the various offshoot bands/projects that it has produced.
Go back even further to Finnish band Rapture (active 1999 - 2005) who made three thoroughly depressing brilliant albums in that same sort of style.

Absolutely yes to Rapture - my recommendation too, a few posts above  ;) If you are a Rapture fan, have you heard the album from Counting Hours? It's got members from Shape of Despair and, yes, Rapture, and it carries that style forward. Good stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #113 on: July 08, 2022, 07:19:16 PM »
Enshine was instrumental to me accepting harsh vocals. Their album, Singularity, was probably the first harsh vocal album I ever purchased.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #114 on: July 08, 2022, 07:44:17 PM »
and hopefully the mighty Atoma will finally release their second album this year.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: July 08, 2022, 07:46:48 PM »
Yeah Omnium Gatherum have their moments for sure, and of course are a sister band to Insomnium. But definitely not as rich and melancholic in their sound.

True, but Beyond and New World Shadows are incredible.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #116 on: July 08, 2022, 08:08:21 PM »
and hopefully the mighty Atoma will finally release their second album this year.

Yes! That would be fantastic

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #117 on: July 09, 2022, 06:24:39 AM »

I feel the same

A couple of other bands that have similarities, maybe slightly on the heavier/darker side:

Shylmagoghnar - especially their album Transience. Not as consistently "pretty" as Insomnium, but has some grand and really beautiful stuff.

I’ll check this out. I love In Mourning but I do feel as well like they are a bit more on the angry rather than melancholic side.

+1 for Enshine

Also agreed on Countless Skies...

Insomnium's first couple of albums had some influence from Amorphis' Tales from the Thousand Lake album, I think. That's a top, top album for me, so if you haven't heard it yet, definitely check it out.

Omnium Gatherum's New World Shadows too...they are more on the death metal end of the "melodic death metal" genre, but they do have that melancholic streak that makes them not too dissimilar in mood. I wouldn't say that of all of their albums, but...Shadows kind of fits that mold. Plus, it's excellent, so it doesn't hurt  ;)

Another band from Finland that really nails a similar, melancholic mood is the now-defunct Rapture. They have three full-lengths, Futile, Songs for the Withering and Silent Stage. All very, very good. The debut is maybe more in the vein of early Katatonia (think Brave Murder Day).  Some former members have come back as Counting Hours. They released an album in 2020, The Will, and that's great as well.

I'm a sucker for this kind of sound, so I'll think a bit more on it...

I heard Enshine/rapture once or twice and thought they sounded good. Gonna give them a few more spin thanks to your suggestion 🤘

Offline nick_z

« Reply #118 on: July 09, 2022, 11:28:58 AM »

True, but Beyond and New World Shadows are incredible.

I would add Redshift too…some beautiful stuff in there…

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #119 on: October 25, 2022, 02:35:22 AM »
https://twitter.com/insomniumband/status/1584543985049157634

This teaser looks like Sevänen has been writing a story again. I'm certainly down for another Winter's Gate type of deal.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: October 25, 2022, 03:53:49 AM »
Heart Like A Grave was a massive album for me.  My fav from the band.  Didn't really dig the EP so really looking forward to something new.  Winters Gate has aged incredibly well.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #121 on: October 25, 2022, 04:27:43 AM »
Contrary to Wolfking I couldn't get into Heart Like A Grave. It wasn't bad, but nothing special imo. But I'd be totally hyped for another Winter's Gate like epic.  :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #122 on: October 25, 2022, 04:59:04 AM »

I met these guys at a Lacuna Coil and Epica show back in 2017.

A group of fans (most of which were shitfaced drunk) stopped and wanted to take pictures with them, so I stepped aside. As I did, one of the women in the group said "no, no, no, I want *all* of you in the picture with us!!", then yanked me into the shot. I told her I wasn't in the band, and the Insomnium guys confirmed it. After that, she said "well, then you must be in Epica". I told her I wasn't, but she insisted I had to be, and wanted me to add her on Facebook, so I did.

She's still on my Facebook today, and for all I know, she might still believe I'm a member of Epica.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: October 25, 2022, 05:10:26 PM »

I met these guys at a Lacuna Coil and Epica show back in 2017.

A group of fans (most of which were shitfaced drunk) stopped and wanted to take pictures with them, so I stepped aside. As I did, one of the women in the group said "no, no, no, I want *all* of you in the picture with us!!", then yanked me into the shot. I told her I wasn't in the band, and the Insomnium guys confirmed it. After that, she said "well, then you must be in Epica". I told her I wasn't, but she insisted I had to be, and wanted me to add her on Facebook, so I did.

She's still on my Facebook today, and for all I know, she might still believe I'm a member of Epica.

LOL that the band had to confirm it.

You should have played along....if she was hot that is.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #124 on: October 25, 2022, 10:32:44 PM »

She actually was hot, and sent me a message on Facebook Messenger asking me to call her, but I discovered she was married. I don't play that game.

Insomnium kicked some serious ass live. I had only known of them for a few months before the show.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: October 26, 2022, 04:15:07 AM »
Just tell her to drop you a line when she goes through with her divorce.  ;D

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #126 on: October 26, 2022, 08:58:38 AM »

Speaking of women, I also met Simone from Epica and Cristina from Lacuna Coil that night. I must say, I was not prepared for how hot Simone would be in person. She always looked fine in pictures, but in person, it just made twice the impact.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: October 26, 2022, 04:46:32 PM »
She's easily one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #128 on: October 26, 2022, 09:26:32 PM »

Cristina looked great, too, but in a different way. Simone was like a perfectly sculpted, natural classic beauty, and those eyes....holy shit. Just utterly overwhelming in person.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #129 on: October 28, 2022, 03:49:21 AM »
Something's apparently going to happen on November 4th. Might even be new music as it's a Friday.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #130 on: November 01, 2022, 02:35:56 AM »
"Lilian... Do you understand why we are here? Do you understand the crimes of which you are accused? Your family has been killed. Murdered."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSU9I4W8czE

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: November 01, 2022, 03:48:15 AM »
 :metal

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #132 on: November 03, 2022, 04:09:12 PM »
Insomnium - Anno 1696
February 24, 2023

1. 1696 [6:19]
2. White Christ (feat. Sakis Tolis) [6:03]
3. Godforsaken (feat. Johanna Kurkela) [8:36]
4. Lilian [4:29]
5. Starless Paths [7:48]
6. The Witch Hunter [5:44]
7. The Unrest [3:52]
8. The Rapids [7:39]

(Note: "Lilian" will be available on November 4 at 12:00 AM your local time)

Offline Deathless

« Reply #133 on: November 04, 2022, 07:07:00 AM »
New song is out on streaming platforms  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H66XBcc8CTM

:metal :metal :metal

This band is outstanding.

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #134 on: November 05, 2022, 02:31:26 PM »
I’ve been listening to the new song since yesterday and Insomnium keeps the quality level at its highest. This band never deceive me. Love the music video as well. Can’t wait until February.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #135 on: December 14, 2022, 04:05:44 PM »
New video for White Christ, featuring Sakis Tolis from Rotting Christ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWG-WzEciHU

One of those rare occasions where I would call an Insomnium song straight up boring, unfortunately.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: December 14, 2022, 04:19:07 PM »
New video for White Christ, featuring Sakis Tolis from Rotting Christ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWG-WzEciHU

One of those rare occasions where I would call an Insomnium song straight up boring, unfortunately.

Ouch, that's not good to hear.  Will sample it tonight.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: December 15, 2022, 03:47:59 AM »
Hmmm....hopefully a grower.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #138 on: December 15, 2022, 04:08:27 AM »
I think the chorus is excellent, especially the second half of it, but then I adore Insomnium's sound. The rest of the song though, yeah I agree it's not very interesting by their usual standards. Not drawing any conclusions about the album yet though, it's evidently going to be a very narrative driven concept album and so it'll be important to hear how the songs flow and fit together.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: December 15, 2022, 04:12:13 AM »
Yeah, Im thinking it will fit better within the album.